PDA

View Full Version : 500 Lumens?

tremiles
06-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Howdy folks! I'm in the market for a new light for my rifle to replace the SF 6p LED Defender single output/LaRue QD mount that was appropriated by the Boss. I was very happy with the 6pld mounted at 1' operated with wh thumb over bore.

With many of the traditional lights moving to dual output, I was looking at the 6px Pro 15/200 when I saw the p2x fury 15/500. Price differences not withstanding, is there a downside to 500 lumens VS. 200 lumens on a HD rifle? I'm still going to use the LaRue offset QD mount because I'll use the light on the low setting for walking the pooches at night. It seems to me that 200 lumens is going to mess dark adjusted vision up plenty without a red filter anyway.

Thoughts?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

derekb
06-28-2012, 05:23 PM
For the purposes you mention, I can't imagine a downside beyond battery life considerations.

For more general purpose flashlight use, a choice between 15 and 500 lumens might be a huge hindrance. I wouldn't be able to use that light's high setting day-to-day (I work in theatre, I spend most of my time in dark buildings, so I use a flashlight more than a lot of folks.) On the high setting, that light will be too bright to use for anything resembling close-up, I'm sure.

ToddG
06-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Price differences not withstanding, is there a downside to 500 lumens VS. 200 lumens on a HD rifle?

Are you using it to cook your dinner to medium rare or well done?

Jay Cunningham
06-28-2012, 05:37 PM
500 lumens on a so-called HD rifle is going to be a liability indoors, methinks.

Al T.
06-28-2012, 05:41 PM
For an outside rifle, the Fury 15/500 looks very interesting, especially as Primary Arms is selling them for $108.00. For inside my abode (as opposed to a duty rifle inside a Sam or Costco), I'd want to play with one as regards splash back.

I may have to get one for research purposes. :D

tremiles
06-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Are you using it to cook your dinner to medium rare or well done?

Depends if it moos, oinks or has wings. If pigs ever fly, I'm probably going to get food poisoning.

Zhurdan
06-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Lots of splash with that bright of a light. Probably blind yourself off of interior walls. For indoors, from my experience(grain of salt), 200 is pushing it. Remember, if it's for home defense, you're only talking about 12-16 feet for being able to see what you're looking at. But if you want to give them skin cancer at the same time... hell, go 500 on their arse.

GJM
06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
A concern is the switching -- as I believe the first press gives you low output, and an immediate second press to get high output. That seems to make sense for a pocket/non-shooting light, but I would want the first press to give me max light when illuminating a target, and not have to cycle thru two presses to get it.

tremiles
06-28-2012, 06:31 PM
A concern is the switching -- as I believe the first press gives you low output, and an immediate second press to get high output. That seems to make sense for a pocket/non-shooting light, but I would want the first press to give me max light when illuminating a target, and not have to cycle thru two presses to get it.

Yes, first press/click is 15 lumens, de-click 15, 2nd press/click 500 lumens. I also believe 2 momentary presses will be 15/15 not 15/500 (or 200 with the lower power models).

So consensus says get the Boss a new 6px LED defender 15/200 and steal my old single output 115 lumen 6pld?

Thanks for the input folks!

orionz06
06-28-2012, 09:11 PM
For me I believe over 200 to be too much. I have used 750 and 350 outdoors and indoors and often times it is too much outside if things are close. The new SF X300 is a good balance for most things I would do with a gun.

Josh Runkle
06-29-2012, 05:24 AM
If you can afford the weight, throw a 500 lumen light on, and keep a 200 lumen light on as well. Use the 200 as standard, use the 500 outdoors occasionally.

Al T.
06-29-2012, 08:16 AM
A concern is the switching

Pat Rogers has mentioned that he replaces the tail switch to cure this issue. I'm not at all sure how that would work as I'm getting outside of my lane.

Dyegator
06-29-2012, 12:01 PM
I was under the impression the new Fury was not shock isolated, and therefore should not be rifle mounted...

tremiles
06-29-2012, 03:41 PM
If you can afford the weight, throw a 500 lumen light on, and keep a 200 lumen light on as well. Use the 200 as standard, use the 500 outdoors occasionally.

I have not yet advanced far enough into my ninja training to mount 2 lights to my rifle.

Corlissimo
06-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Also up for consideration is the interior color of your AO.
Since most homes have fairly light colored walls, splashback is a real issue. But, if your walls are darker, say muted earth-tones or darker shades of red/burgundy then even 200 might leave you wanting more light.

I learned this after my better half decided the whole first floor was to be painted in these darker colors. When running through my semi-monthly HD drills in the middle of the night, my M21 Warrior on my SG had to be ramped up from the usual 80 lumens to the max 500 lumen mark. But, that was a bit too high for the 2nd floor areas, which were considerably lighter in color.

Using the 500 lumen strobe has been the best compromise I can find with this light so far.

My .02

JRas
07-03-2012, 07:37 AM
IMO there is such a thing as too much lumens

the current fury light activation is not ideal nor light tested for weapon mounting

"Dual-output tailcap click switch—press for momentary-on low, click for constant-on low, return to off then press or click again for high"

15 lumens press
click once 15 lumens on
turn off
click again for 500 lumens

All the research I've done in low-light training tells you to use the momentary on always, and move after using it. lights are bullet magnets

They're supposed to come out with new fury models that are single-stage 500 lumen, but I still wouldn't recommend for a weapon mounted light.