PDA

View Full Version : Toll Passes

revchuck38
12-21-2020, 06:05 PM
I rarely have to use toll roads, but it looks like using one is going to be inevitable on an upcoming trip. Specifically, it's the Indian Nation Turnpike in OK. I haven't seen a human in a toll booth since they took them off the Crescent City Connection in New Orleans ten years ago or so.

What toll passes are useable nationwide, or at least mostly? I can probably google further info from there.

Thanks!

RJ
12-21-2020, 06:15 PM
Not sure any are nationwide.

Here in FL we have Sunpass. It’s interoperable and covers us in GA for Peachpass as well as NC’s Quickpass.

RoyGBiv
12-21-2020, 06:35 PM
Pike pass or K-tag, or credit card or cash. IIRC.

DDTSGM
12-21-2020, 06:37 PM
Yes, my K-tag works in Oklahoma.

revchuck38
12-21-2020, 06:43 PM

Shoot, I should've googled first. Turns out they do indeed take cash and credit cards. I was convinced that these were a thing of the past.

HeavyDuty
12-21-2020, 06:57 PM
EZ-Pass is in a bunch of mostly east of the Mississippi states - they may be part of that network.

BillSWPA
12-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Pennsylvania uses EZ Pass, which is compatible with the systems used in neighboring states.

If you do not have EZ Pass, your license plate is photographed and you are mailed an invoice for the toll. Rates are higher than for EZ Pass.

Whatever system your state uses is worth getting. In most places, most or all lanes accept the automated system, and other forme of payment are limited to a few lanes. Some toll collection points allow EZ Pass users to pay their toll at 55 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambo
12-22-2020, 06:13 AM
Shoot, I should've googled first. Turns out they do indeed take cash and credit cards. I was convinced that these were a thing of the past.

Get a pass. It's worth it to blow past the toll booth at 70mph.

TGS
12-22-2020, 06:58 AM
Pennsylvania uses EZ Pass, which is compatible with the systems used in neighboring states.

If you do not have EZ Pass, your license plate is photographed and you are mailed an invoice for the toll. Rates are higher than for EZ Pass.

Whatever system your state uses is worth getting. In most places, most or all lanes accept the automated system, and other forme of payment are limited to a few lanes. Some toll collection points allow EZ Pass users to pay their toll at 55 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since EZ Pass is so ubiquitous, I just wanted to piggy-back on your comment and note that the EZ-Pass discount on the toll may only apply to EZ Pass registrations with that service provider. For instance, someone with an EZ Pass from Virginia or Pennsylvania will not get the discount going across any of the bridges or tunnels in NYC....that discount is only applied to those with EZ Passes administered through the Port Authority, all others are charged full amount. If you have an EZ Pass from one of those areas, you also won't be able to take advantage of the HOV discount in northern Virginia, as it requires the special issued EZ-Pass "brick" where you physically select HOV or regular.

MGW
12-22-2020, 07:45 AM

I believe K-tag works in Texas now too.

BN
12-22-2020, 02:15 PM
I seldom use toll roads. About 3-4 years ago I was on a lesser traveled toll road in Pennsylvania and there was a holdup at the non-manned toll booth. A truck driver didn't have small bills to pay the toll and he was going back the line asking for change for a $20. Evidently the machine wouldn't take a $20. Same thing happened at the next booth. :(

LOKNLOD
12-22-2020, 02:43 PM

The pike pass website says the whole length of the indian nation TP should cost 7.75 each way. Getcha a couple rolls of quarters and rock on ;)
They SHOULD have manned booths on the main toll points but if you exit early there may be some coin-toss baskets.

0ddl0t
12-22-2020, 06:10 PM
What toll passes are useable nationwide, or at least mostly? I can probably google further info from there.

If you have a small fleet that travels nationwide I'd recommend Bestpass.

VT1032
12-24-2020, 01:14 AM

I've always done this with no issues since I only encounter toll roads out of state and rarely carry cash, but after my last trip down south, I got my notices in the mail and the Deleware I95 toll charged a $50 "processing fee" in addition to the normal $4 toll fee if you blow through the ez pass lanes with no transponder. I called and pitched a bitch and they eventually agreed to just take the $4 toll but ymmv.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk