PDA

View Full Version : G Code Duty Holsters?

Tokarev
12-17-2020, 06:42 AM
Is anyone here using a G Code duty holster?

It looks like G Code offers two different options. One is the XST. This looks like a fairly conventional design:

https://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/xst-rti-kydex-holster/

The other option is called the SOC and appears to be unique to the market. The SOC has a removable bottom section and can be configured to work with or without a light:

https://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/soc-rti-holster/

https://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/soc-light-cowling/

I find the SOC modular design to be quite interesting.

Anyway, is anyone running around with either holster? Any issues? And what about the belt mounting system? Any problems with it?

Thanks.

Edited to mention red dot options. I'm surprised there's no red dot option for these holsters. I assume G Code has something in the works.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That Guy
12-17-2020, 07:50 AM
Is anyone here using a G Code duty holster?

I have one that is several years old at this point, but I don't use it. In my opinion the holster is a failure even for range use. I don't necessarily remember all the problems but at least the retention hood is garbage, pops open from a mild breeze, and the gun (a P99, IIRC) shaved plastic off the holster.

Tokarev
12-17-2020, 08:16 AM
the retention hood is garbage,.

That sucks. What are they using for a latch? Is it proprietary to G Code or something fairly common like the Blade-Tech WRS?

Wake27
12-17-2020, 08:23 AM
I used the standard model (OSH I think) for years before switching to Safariland. They were fine, just found that the ALS series were far better. I was at a class where the XST hood got locked up for someone else.

As far as the mounts, I’ve always liked the RTI wheel and actually still use that. When I started using ALS holsters, I did a ton of research and most people that compared the RTI to QOS said that the RTI was just a tad more slim so every Safariland holster I have has an RTI hanger on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tokarev
12-17-2020, 10:20 AM
They were fine, just found that the ALS series were far better.

Depending on hand size and that kind of stuff, not everyone likes the ALS.

The Blackhawk T-Series has grown on me but it is limited fit so it might be nice to have other options.

UNM1136
12-17-2020, 11:27 AM
I fell for the SOC after everyone on LF was raving about them after seeing them at SHOT. The production model was a bit different. I removed the crappy drop leg attachment and wore it as a high ride strong side uniformed duty holster using a TekLok. I used it for a couple of years, have a couple of different light shrouds. Meh, can take it or leave it, but would prefer to leave it. I switched to a BladeTech WRS dropped and offset for a better belt attachment. I have junked up the SOC in the sand enough that I had to force the bail/hood open and clean the interior without instructions, but also without too much headache. I preferred the straight down push of the SOC to get the spring loaded hood/bail to pop out of the way, but having cut my teeth on standard thumb breaks I grew to appreciate the WRS.

I think the SOC is a great concept, poorly executed. A talented gear/gadget tinkerer given todays tools and materials could likely do better, but it seems the corneds were cut to bring the cost down, and it didn't bring it down very far. The main body looks like machined plastic, with a screw in muzzle plug. If I were to tinker with mine I imagine I could replicate the holster body, maybe put a traditional Blade-Tech thumb break on it, keeping the muzzle plug. The kydex shrouds for different lights (or slick) attached into the holster body with a series of screws. Belt attachment points are varied and available. And one of the biggest selling points was the HSGI drop leg attachment. While the provided drop leg attachment used the clever coiled and knotted shock cord for a user replaceable tension device, it was not as well designed as the HSGI one, which added to the cost considerably, I am sure. I do have an aftermarket Drop Leg kit from HSGI (just add your own holster) that I have not used yet, but I think I may add a Safariland RDS/Light holster to it if/when I get a canine and allowed drop leg stuff.

EDIT: IIRC their belt loop options were developed later, with an eye to giving a better belt loop to the holster. I retro'd a couple of belt loops before deciding that if I really wanted the holster the TekLok was the best option at the time. It was designed as a drop leg rig from the start. The current belt loops look like they would have saved me a ton of tinkering and experimenting.

Given what was displayed at SHOT and what made it into production, I am rather surprised they are still offering it. No one I know with one was satisfied with theirs for the money. The cost appears to be just over half of what I paid for mine, so maybe it is worth re exploring.

pat

rcbusmc24
12-17-2020, 12:04 PM
I'm located here in Jacksonville NC, where G code is near, and they are considered low hanging fruit around here when it comes to holsters. G codes used to be the shit for guys around here but now it's pretty much a safariland town for duty holsters. I have used them, but do not prefer them. The SOC always seemed overly tight and the modularity is not as useful as you might think, as the holster is only for a particular gun type and all the lower shrouds are typically for older weird lights, they are not gun agnostic like a lot of the newer light indexing duty holsters are. All of their older style hard wear also seemed to have rust issues.... Then there is their customer service issues, which used to make HK look like they actually cared about you.....

The only holster product that G code makes that I like are their RTI holster hangers and attachment plates, I use those things on everything, Safarilands, JM custom and other OWB rigs. The RTI mounting units let me quickly switch out holsters on belts and the brackets are a little lower profile than equivalent offerings from Safariland

Tokarev
12-17-2020, 02:47 PM
I'm located here in Jacksonville NC, where G code is near, and they are considered low hanging fruit around here when it comes to holsters. G codes used to be the shit for guys around here but now it's pretty much a safariland town for duty holsters. I have used them, but do not prefer them. The SOC always seemed overly tight and the modularity is not as useful as you might think, as the holster is only for a particular gun type and all the lower shrouds are typically for older weird lights, they are not gun agnostic like a lot of the newer light indexing duty holsters are. All of their older style hard wear also seemed to have rust issues.... Then there is their customer service issues, which used to make HK look like they actually cared about you.....

The only holster product that G code makes that I like are their RTI holster hangers and attachment plates, I use those things on everything, Safarilands, JM custom and other OWB rigs. The RTI mounting units let me quickly switch out holsters on belts and the brackets are a little lower profile than equivalent offerings from SafarilandThanks for the feedback.

We had a few guys using the Travis Haley appendix holster with our outgoing pistol. They seemed to work well.

HCM
12-17-2020, 03:51 PM
The G code holsters are not durable enough for LE duty use.

Both the Blade Tech style hood and the quick detach system are fragile when subjected to physics fights.

There is a video of a CA OIS (San Diego?) in which a suspect ripped a Safariland duty holster on a G code QD wheel (RTI) off the officers belt.

Wake27
12-18-2020, 12:29 AM
Depending on hand size and that kind of stuff, not everyone likes the ALS.

The Blackhawk T-Series has grown on me but it is limited fit so it might be nice to have other options.

First I’ve heard of that, and I actually have relatively small hands. I realized that the ALS is really superb. When you don’t want the gun, it does a fantastic job of keeping it in place. When you do want it, as long as you have positive engagement of the lever, the gun will fly out of the holster. I’ve entirely moved away from anything but ALS for all purposes aside from concealed carry. Sure if you screw up the lever, it takes longer than a standard friction holster but I’ve found it pretty reliable and little things like the nub mod can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Guy
12-19-2020, 08:36 AM
That sucks. What are they using for a latch? Is it proprietary to G Code or something fairly common like the Blade-Tech WRS?

Sorry for the delay in my answer. I spent some time trying to look up the photos I took of the holster but couldn't find them. Anyways, I got mine in the spring of 2016 so like I said, mine is several years old. It is also potentially faulty, but I never could get it returned for a replacement or refund.

It's a proprietary spring loaded hood that in my XST has a huge unprotected release button. The hood pops open whenever some piece of kit bumps into it, which happens very easily. Other people who use holsters from the same batch report the same (although they do not seem to feel like this is an issue, go figure). Should someone attempt a gun grab their hand would pretty much automatically hit the release. The release button is also strictly optional since I can place my hand on the hood itself and just manually rotate it forward with very minimal force. This may be an issue with just my holster, since I'm told these don't usually do that.

Additionally, like I said, the slide of my pistol would shave plastic off the holster body during draws. After a bit of dry practice the serrations of my slide would be filled with plastic shavings. I'm told this would stop happening eventually, but I was disinclined to put in that much effort into the holster at the time.

Other people that have used the same type of holster do not seem to have as negative an opinion on it as I do, so it is very much possible mine is a faulty one. But the combination of issues and poor customer service of the local retailer made that G-Code XST the last G-Code holster I am willing to spend any money on.