PDA

View Full Version : Car repair question

scw2
12-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Nicked the back lens cover on the Subaru, which now has a minor crack. Is this something I can fix using some sort of epoxy or glue to seal the crack and prevent it from spreading and keep moisture out similar to fixing chips on windshields? Or is it easy to replace the cover like it would be for a bulb, or is this a job for the shop?

Welder
12-15-2020, 11:32 PM
I've never tried to repair that type of damage, but I imagine it's completely possible. Replacing that taillight housing is going to be completely in the realm of the do-it-yourselfer, very rarely are they complicated. Biggest obstacle will just be, how much does it cost?

rd62
12-16-2020, 06:30 AM
I've never tried to repair that type of damage, but I imagine it's completely possible. Replacing that taillight housing is going to be completely in the realm of the do-it-yourselfer, very rarely are they complicated. Biggest obstacle will just be, how much does it cost?

This...

scw2
12-16-2020, 08:11 AM
Thanks, guess I’ll try to watch a few YouTube videos since it sounds doable!

MistWolf
12-16-2020, 12:40 PM
The cover is not a stressed part. I don't think there crack will spread unless you back into something again. You could try stop drilling the end of the crack and putting some kind of epoxy or something there, but it will be uglier than what you have now and not necessary.

I would leave it alone for now and replace the cover at my convenience.

whomever
12-16-2020, 12:56 PM
I had a smaller crack than that on a similar one. Dunno when it happened, but I noticed it in winter when the turn signal stopped working, because the housing had filled up with now-frozen water.

Mine was replaced on warranty, but the part was something like $400. If it were me, I'd sure try fixing it so it was leak free, and I'd do it right away.

Coyotesfan97
12-16-2020, 03:56 PM
I’d call a car window repair shop and see if it can be done.

NEPAKevin
12-16-2020, 04:24 PM
I would try to find a forum specific to Subaru and see if anyone has done it before as auto plastics can be tricky as far as getting glues to stick. In the mean time, most auto parts stores and even some big box stores sell lens repair tape and kits to make a temporary fix.

trailrunner
12-16-2020, 04:45 PM
I can't see the crack in the photo you posted, but if the hole or crack isn't too large, you could try some clear silicone sealant to seal the hole and keep water out. If it's in the red area, some red electrical tape might also work.

Some of those plastic housings can be expensive, maybe a couple hundred dollars, so it might be worth a cheap try.

Mystery
12-16-2020, 05:52 PM
It's way too small.
Just put some superglue or waterproof glue in there and let it dry.

camel
12-16-2020, 06:11 PM
What Mystery said is your best option. Fill the crack and then use a credit card or similar to even it out.