PDA

View Full Version : Laser Boresighter

GJM
12-14-2020, 07:51 PM
A few weekends ago, my wife had a Romeo 3 Max lose zero, and mess up her match. With ammo so tight, we haven’t done as much zero verification shooting with our match guns. My wife ordered this inexpensive boresighter from Amazon, and has been using it to confirm zero on her CO Legions, and so far it seems to be working. Today, I needed to zero a newly installed optic on a CORE, and she used the boresighter to get the zero close before we left home. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/MidTen-Sight-Boresighter-Gauge-Batteries/dp/B07GGWJSJ6

These are my first shots at 20 yards, using only the zero from the boresighter.

mmc45414
12-14-2020, 11:03 PM
Am big fan, even bought this one to stick on the end if an arrow:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CL343AQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

ETA: Kinda hard to put a compound bow on a sandbag :)

orionz06
12-15-2020, 09:36 AM
That's worth it's price in saved ammo even if it's used once.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
12-15-2020, 07:49 PM
A few weekends ago, my wife had a Romeo 3 Max lose zero, and mess up her match. With ammo so tight, we haven’t done as much zero verification shooting with our match guns. My wife ordered this inexpensive boresighter from Amazon, and has been using it to confirm zero on her CO Legions, and so far it seems to be working. Today, I needed to zero a newly installed optic on a CORE, and she used the boresighter to get the zero close before we left home. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/MidTen-Sight-Boresighter-Gauge-Batteries/dp/B07GGWJSJ6

These are my first shots at 20 yards, using only the zero from the boresighter.

and the AZ Enablers strike once again, mine in 9mm & 5.56 should be here Thrs, gracias mis amigos.

GJM
12-15-2020, 07:53 PM
and the AZ Enablers strike once again, mine in 9mm & 5.56 should be here Thrs, gracias mis amigos.

Hey, at least these are sub $20 a pop!

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
12-15-2020, 07:56 PM
Hey, at least these are sub $20 a pop!

No doubt & a mere pittance compared to the coin someone recently dropped on 3K of Syntech.

GJM
12-15-2020, 08:54 PM
No doubt & a mere pittance compared to the coin someone recently dropped on 3K of Syntech.

Interesting you mention that. The 3,000 rounds of Syntech arrived yesterday, along with 4,000 rounds of PMC and American Eagle. I asked what was up and my wife said she figured since I got Syntech she should also order some ammo for her too. Anyone got a lead on a home equity loan place.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
12-15-2020, 09:38 PM
Interesting you mention that. The 3,000 rounds of Syntech arrived yesterday, along with 4,000 rounds of PMC and American Eagle. I asked what was up and my wife said she figured since I got Syntech she should also order some ammo for her too. Anyone got a lead on a home equity loan place.

Happy wife = happy life, now I need to find 1-2k of 5.56 for 3G.

Kirk
12-16-2020, 08:42 AM
Awesome idea, just ordered one.

Doc_Glock
12-16-2020, 11:17 AM
I think I will get the 12 ga version as the 1301 can shake mounts loose.

RJ
12-16-2020, 03:23 PM
I purchased this laser boresighter in July:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GGWJSJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cost was $18, shipped. I've used it on all my pistols to check for zero, and adjust the rear sight, or select front sights. What I don't like about it is that on this particular one, there is no lip on the "cartridge" to the extractor cannot grab it when you try and remove it. You kind of have to shake it out. Also, there's no switch, you just insert the three (provided) batteries and screw down the lid at the rear, and it turns on.

It seems to be pretty repeatable, and the laser beam is centered, radially. It is useful for gross adjustments but I found that ammo selection made a bit of a larger difference at the range, in terms of POI, than assuming the laser boresighter was going to predict PoA=PoI. But for a tool to help me get "close", I'd say it was worth $18.

I made mention to my wife that it might be an alternative to going to the range to burn ammo, given the cost these days. Goal would be to use it for Dry Practice. I may give that a whirl myself. I'd just have to remember to glance at the target when the shot broke so I could see where the dot was. I have mixed feelings however of training a lot that way; I don't shoot a dot and I'm not sure I should be really changing focus from the sights to the target and back but who knows.

It is a handy little gizmo, though, that's for sure.

Archer1440
12-16-2020, 09:01 PM
I’ve been using one of the o-ringed laser training cartridges to rough-in red dots with good success. Same principle, but a bit more accurate than the dedicated bore sight solutions that don’t have chamber tapers or o-rings.

Of course these are better than a ‘constant on’ laser for dry fire practice as well, especially when used with a smartphone camera app to record the ‘impacts’.

flyrodr
12-17-2020, 02:40 PM
So relatively inexpensive, I also ordered one. I've had significant POA-POI variations from initial red dot installs, ranging from near dead on to nearly a foot off at 25 yards. With today's ammo availability and prices, appears prudent move. Thanks GJM.

An aside: I always wondered if significant deviations could be attributed to "offages" in any milling, in the mount, in the gun, or just in the distance and/or load's trajectory differing from the optic's initial setting. For that matter, do mfgrs optically center the dot, or have some standard QC/QA setting?

Archer1440
12-17-2020, 03:15 PM
The only RDS/mounting system I have found to be close to or dead on “factory zero” is the combination of RMR/SRO and HK VP9/9L Optic Ready with HK mounting plates on six separate pistols.

Of the standard slide builds I have assembled, three were nearly dead-on at 25 yards for elevation, and two of those were dead-on for both elevation and windage, using 124 ball, right out of the boxes, all with RMR-06’s.

The other three, which were long-slide models, with SRO’s, required only a few clicks to dial in. By way of comparison, all seven SIG pistols (X-Fives and X-carry’s) I have built with optics required multiple MOA of correction.

147 at 25 requires minor adjustments to elevation with the VP’s.

Typical difference (25 yards) shown here.

Archer1440
12-17-2020, 04:58 PM
Correction to my post above- twelve total SIG pistols with optics, not seven. I forgot to include those I have assembled for other owners.

Five of those were with CHPWS plates/RMR and the rest with the SIG direct-fit slide cuts and Romeo series sights. Again, none were close to zero- and all required re-zero after mounting/dismounting. The HK pistols have all held exact zero with the RMR’s after battery changes, but I do use a torque wrench.

Also, another example of an out-of-the-box SRO at 25 yards offhand with the HK mounting system, before adjustment. This is about as good as I can manage standing on my hind legs- it’s tighter off a bag. That’s about a three-click correction.

flyrodr
12-18-2020, 05:22 PM
Well, today I received the laser boresighter I ordered last night from Amazon. Shipped free via Prime. (And still I wait on a package mailed via USPS on 11/27.)

Popped the batteries in, inserted boresighter into chamber of G19.5, and pointed it toward light switch on far wall. Red dot was right on target, but boresighter laser was low and left.

So . . . the mystery of Glocks shooting low-left has been explained - - - the barrels are crooked!!!! :rolleyes:

(Truth be told, they were virtually touching, although wall was only about 12 feet away.)

BillSWPA
12-20-2020, 12:25 AM
Just ordered boresighters in a few different calibers. The availability and cost of ammo is unlikely to improve for a couple of years, so these are likely to pay for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BillSWPA
12-24-2020, 12:43 AM
Used the 9mm boresighter to verify proper sight alignment after replacing the sights on my G19 with sights having fresh tritium. I had centered everything on the slide so I already knew the sight placement was correct, but having the boresighter to double check until I can get to a range was helpful.

The laser came on as soon as I dropped the batteries into the tube, before I attached the cap. Storing the laser and batteries separately will be a necessity. I also bad to push the laser out of the barrel when finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archer1440
12-25-2020, 02:53 AM
One of the other advantages of the laser training cartridges vs dedicated boresighters- you can leave the batteries in place.

jeep45238
12-25-2020, 09:05 AM
I think I will get the 12 ga version as the 1301 can shake mounts loose.

Come to think of it....that's the one that will likely get used the most :D

GJM
12-29-2020, 05:28 PM
It paid for itself again. Mounted a Holosun, bore sighted with the laser thingee, and these are first shots.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
12-29-2020, 06:02 PM
It paid for itself again. Mounted a Holosun, bore sighted with the laser thingee, and these are first shots.

and once again Mrs. M pays off like a boss, tell her I said muchas gracias as I have both the 5.56 & 9mm version of these.

flyrodr
12-29-2020, 09:40 PM
Well, I took my 9mm bore sighter to the range today. Nothing new re: gun and sight/dot setup. Just wanted to see what it looked like at established distances, with an already sighted in G19.5/SRO combo.

Had a good range trip. Got home, saw this thread, and realized I forgot to try the bore sighter while at the range.

Senioritis strikes again. I've had it pretty much since birth . . .

cornstalker
01-03-2022, 09:51 PM
I wanted to bump this to the top and ask GJM and/or JCN to share some details about the Wheeler laser bore sighters that they are using. What model, specifically. If there is another thread that has the info, please point me to it. I did not find one in a search.

GJM
01-03-2022, 09:57 PM
I wanted to bump this to the top and ask GJM and/or JCN to share some details about the Wheeler laser bore sighters that they are using. What model, specifically. If there is another thread that has the info, please point me to it. I did not find one in a search.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Professional-Laser-Sighter-Green/dp/B007WQJCWC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=20TO9NZ7BW4R7&keywords=wheeler+laser+bore+sighter&qid=1641264983&sprefix=wheeler+las%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-3

cornstalker
01-03-2022, 10:04 PM
Does that just stick right to the end of the barrel/slide?

GJM
01-03-2022, 10:27 PM

Right on the crown of the muzzle. Works great.

JCN
01-03-2022, 10:52 PM

This was one of those things that I thought was going to be ridiculous, but turned out to be awesome.

A couple of observations about it:

1. I like the green laser because my red dots are… red.
2. If on a budget you could use a red laser for a red dot by changing optic intensity or intermittently occluding the laser.
3. It works on threaded barrels if you take the muzzle devices off.
4. If you’re lazy, most muzzle devices are reasonably close enough that you can still rough it in with the laser.
5. I usually match laser to optic at around 25 yards for most ammo which usually gets me within a few clicks depending on velocity of ammo and distance I zero in live.
6. It’s good enough that I’ve shot matches with Optics that I only Wheeler zeroed.
7. It’s far superior to chamber devices because chamber devices can have rubber O-rings, but even if not it can be inserted with inconsistent orientation / rotation and cant. The Wheeler has the “on” button at 6 o’clock and is reproducible.

I was looking for a solution to quickly spot check competition optics the night before matches when I was having Romeo 3 Max elevation drift. I was desperate so tried this. It worked so well, I recommended it to others having Romeo issues which is how it came to the PF collective brain trust.

The other part of the recommendation as my favorite red dot zeroing system is the Hyskore parallax sight.

https://www.amazon.com/HYSKORE-1003626-Parallax-Pistol-Sighting/dp/B0007LOX8C/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=ZL87NRP1KD1O&keywords=hyskore+parallax+pistol+sighting+rest&qid=1641268138&sprefix=hyskore+%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-2

It works like this:
You bench rest aim at a paster and take three shots.
Then you flip the rest and clamp the gun in with the optic pointed at the paster.
Then you adjust the optic without moving the gun so that the red dot is centered on the three shots you took before.
You don’t have to take any additional shots.

Done. Zeroed using the initial three shots. I usually shoot to confirm but that’s it.

Doc_Glock
01-04-2022, 12:01 PM

It's magnetic. It's awesome and you definitely need one. I am so impressed with this thing.

tusk212
01-04-2022, 12:39 PM
Well, this thread just cost me $17 but I think it will be worth it.