PDA

View Full Version : Interesting study on cancer cells and glucose...

BaiHu
06-28-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm not a science geek, so someone who has a larger knowledge base than I should weigh in.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120626131854.htm

Al T.
06-28-2012, 10:11 AM
From the article:

To explain the seemingly contradictory result that glucose deprivation reduced viability and at the same time increased signaling, the authors used an unbiased systems-biology approach that included phospho-tyrosine mass spectrometry and other biochemical profiling techniques.

Pretty much says it all. :eek:

Zhurdan
06-28-2012, 10:19 AM
From the article:

Pretty much says it all. :eek:

I tried using Google Translate to put that into English... my computer froze up.

What I gathered from the article... stop feeding the cancer cells... they die.

ghettomedic
06-28-2012, 11:57 AM
And the collective knowledge base re: insulin resistance, plasma glucose levels and chronic inflammation as contributory mechanisms for a whole host of neoplasms is strengthened.

The medical/research community has known for years that high plasma levels of glucose, reduced insulin sensitivity and chronic inflammation are the harbingers of many/most chronic diseases.

Why is this not more common knowledge among the general population? Why aren't more physicians concentrating on disease prevention through mitigation of these processes?

Well, all I have to say is the (mainstream) shooting community isn't the only insular body resistant to change due to dogmatic ignorance of rationally-presented evidence that contradicts the status quo. :cool:

BaiHu
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
And the collective knowledge base re: insulin resistance, plasma glucose levels and chronic inflammation as contributory mechanisms for a whole host of neoplasms is strengthened.

The medical/research community has known for years that high plasma levels of glucose, reduced insulin sensitivity and chronic inflammation are the harbingers of many/most chronic diseases.

Why is this not more common knowledge among the general population? Why aren't more physicians concentrating on disease prevention through mitigation of these processes?

Well, all I have to say is the (mainstream) shooting community isn't the only insular body resistant to change due to dogmatic ignorance of rationally-presented evidence that contradicts the status quo. :cool:

BAZINGA!!!

Most people want to change 'hardware', b/c a) it's easier to blame and b) it's easier to replace. 'Software' changes take too much time and effort.