PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 or HK P30

Nicolaev
12-12-2020, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone.
I am new on this page, and first of all i need to apologise if my writen is not so great. I am not a native english speaker.
I need a little help to make me choose a hand gun. I am curious of the opinion of experts. Witch is best - Glock 19 or HK P30 to buy and own?
I mean, for a gun witch will be used as personal protection and not in the line of duty. And I make an option just from those two because I look for a council weapons, easy to hide in the summer, and above all, are available on my country.
And if someone recommend one of them, tell me please what accessories are best.

Thk you so mutch for your times guys.

Borderland
12-12-2020, 03:51 PM
I have a P-30SK 9MM. Seems to work just fine for CC. Never owned a Glock but I hear they are reliable and probably a little less money than an HK. The P-30 has an adjustable grip that works well.

Can't help beyond that.

Welcome to the fray.

SecondsCount
12-12-2020, 04:29 PM
I have both, and a VP9, which is striker fired like a Glock and is more of an equal comparison.

All of them are considered reliable.

The Glock will win the popularity contest and will get you style points:cool: If you are the type that is constantly changing and futzing with things, it is probably a better choice.

The VP9 is just a really nice pistol. The trigger on my breaks clean and the recoil is smoother than the G19. I also like the grip much better.

The P30 is a really solid hammer fired pistol and can be setup for several variations of trigger pull. Mine is setup as a V2 LEM but you can purchase parts to change it to the variation you would like.

Before making a decision, I would try to see if you can rent one of each to try before you buy.

Mercworx
12-12-2020, 04:32 PM
I find the P30 fits my smaller hands much better than the Glock 19. I would love an LEM version.

Borderland
12-12-2020, 06:34 PM
I have a light LEM trigger on my P-30. I've always had DA/SA triggers so it's taking me some time to get used to it. I'm also still getting used to the sights. Eventually I think it will be my carry pistol when I get all of my kinks worked out. LEM won't be for everyone but I think it will win over some LE departments down the road if it hasn't already.

RJ
12-12-2020, 06:47 PM
Welcome to pistol-forum.

There are a number of experts here, but I am not one of them. I am just a basic shooter who is familiar with both HK and Glocks.

Absent any other information, If I were you, I would select a Glock 19, if these two were my only choices.

Both a P30 and the Glock will be reliable and accurate, and have the same 15 round capacity. The P30 grip "may" be better customized to your hand, with it's selection of backstraps and palmswell options as standard. However some find the "blockiness" of the Glock an advantage in actual shooting.

Generally, the Glock will have cheaper magazines, by a factor of 2, in the United States. Holsters, sights, aftermarket triggers, replacement parts, will all be cheaper and more readily available for the Glock than the HK.

If you get beyond basic field strip, a Glock pistol is composed of approximately 37 parts, and can be completely taken apart and put back together using a 3/16" steel punch and a roll of duct tape to act as a bench rest. Maintaining a P30 is considerably more complex.

If you are just starting out shooting, mastering a P30 DA/SA trigger will be harder than a Glock. A Glock has a single trigger press, all the time. Leaning to shoot a Glock will be consistent.

Lastly, the purchase price of a Glock is on the order of $550, a P30 is going to be higher, perhaps $800 (not sure, haven't priced one lately), during normal times, here in the US. While not a huge deal over the life of the gun, and compared to ammo, but it may be a consideration.

At the end of the day, either one will work and give you years of good service. If you can shoot both, pick the one you shoot the best.

psalms144.1
12-12-2020, 06:58 PM
Been there, done that, several times. Had two P30s, two P2000s, and can't even start to count how many G19s.

G19 Pros:
-"The answer" to this question 99% of the time
-Super easy to maintain, less expensive in most locales than any HK
-Easiest to find holsters, Night Sights, and other after market accessories
-Much less expensive spare magazines

G19 Cons:
-Most new shooters will struggle with shooting the pistol low and left, due to trigger function
-Earlier generations are less accurate than HKs. Gen5 guns are on par with HK
-While Glocks are "the answer" - lots of folks struggle with the grip shape, size, and grip angle. While you CAN train through most/all of these issues, why struggle with something that doesn't "work" for you out of the box

P30 Pros:
-Super reliable and accurate
-Extremely "ergonomic" with the ability to adjust back straps and side panels to get a perfect "fit" for your hand

P30 Cons:
-Price, complexity, finish is not as resistant to wear and climate as the Glocks
-Triggers are marginal - usually heavy/gritty DA, just "OK" SA
-Fewer options for NS, holsters, other aftermarket stuff
-Full size grip only holds 15 rounds (same capacity as G19 in a bigger package)

For ME, the P2000 is the pick of the litter. SLIGHTLY smaller (better concealment) than the G19, while giving up no accuracy or recoil control to the P30.

Hopefully this helps. Were I in your shoes, and it were available in your locale, I'd get the CZ P07 over either the Glock or the HK.

Hot Sauce
12-12-2020, 07:08 PM
Hi everyone.
I am new on this page, and first of all i need to apologise if my writen is not so great. I am not a native english speaker.
I need a little help to make me choose a hand gun. I am curious of the opinion of experts. Witch is best - Glock 19 or HK P30 to buy and own?
I mean, for a gun witch will be used as personal protection and not in the line of duty. And I make an option just from those two because I look for a council weapons, easy to hide in the summer, and above all, are available on my country.

Thk you so mutch for your times guys.Both a great pistols and you will not regret buying either.

For a more detailed, answer the questions below so we can help orient you.

Which pistols do you currently use for personal protection?
What do you like about them, and what do you dislike about them?
Which features do they lack that you find important?
How do you perform with each of them? How do you measure that performance?

Squib308
12-12-2020, 07:35 PM
I own both. Love both. Get both.

Borderland
12-12-2020, 08:02 PM
Lastly, the purchase price of a Glock is on the order of $550, a P30 is going to be higher, perhaps $800 (not sure, haven't priced one lately), during normal times, here in the US. While not a huge deal over the life of the gun, and compared to ammo, but it may be a consideration.

I paid $725 for mine which included night sights and 3 mags. That was before the election and covid. You couldn't find one on a bet these days. HK's are slim pickens for the unwashed masses these days at that price. Here's one on GB that will get some action with 6 days left. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886174759

Not sure what country we're talking about here, but HK is in short supply here in the US. Glock might be your best bet if you have a reliable source.

RJ
12-12-2020, 08:10 PM
I paid $725 for mine which included night sights and 3 mags. That was before the election and covid. You couldn't find one on a bet these days. HK's are slim pickens for the unwashed masses these days. Here's one on GB that will get some action. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886174759

That auction appears to be for a P30SK, but I agree with your points. HKs are in short supply here in FL, even in normal times. Once I strolled past the display case, only to spot a .45 USPc. It took a mighty effort not to pull out my credit card on the spot.

JDB
12-12-2020, 08:32 PM
Been there, done that, several times. Had two P30s, two P2000s, and can't even start to count how many G19s.

P30 Cons:
-Price, complexity, finish is not as resistant to wear and climate as the Glocks
-Triggers are marginal - usually heavy/gritty DA, just "OK" SA
-Fewer options for NS, holsters, other aftermarket stuff
-Full size grip only holds 15 rounds (same capacity as G19 in a bigger package)

For ME, the P2000 is the pick of the litter. SLIGHTLY smaller (better concealment) than the G19, while giving up no accuracy or recoil control to the P30.

Hopefully this helps. Were I in your shoes, and it were available in your locale, I'd get the CZ P07 over either the Glock or the HK.

New mags for P30/VP9 are 17 round. Otherwise agree with everything. Haven't tried the CZ P07, but if I was starting over....

rdtompki
12-12-2020, 09:25 PM
I bought my first EDC gun while still in California so choices were acceptable, but limited just 5 years ago. Compete with a 1911 so the Glock grip angle was an issue since we practice excessively with our 1911s. So, I carry a V1 LEM P2000, sometimes a P30SK. All on your list will be reliable and get the job done if needed. I would think acceptable holster choices are out there for all with with or without RDS and light. Choices get slim for the P2000; I'd like to carry with a small light, but I also love my Stealthgear IWB holster. Try all three if you can, pick one and you'll be well served.

pangloss
12-13-2020, 01:07 AM
I own both and both are great pistols. I carry a Glock and shoot Glocks more though. If I could have only one, I couldn't make a compelling argument for one over the other. A coin toss is as good a way as any to decide. Actually, Glocks are cheaper here, which is what kept me away from the P30 for so long.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Blades
12-13-2020, 10:38 AM
Hi everyone.

I'm not an expert but I do have an opinion. :)

If I had the money, I'd buy H&K's.

For accessories, aftermarket options, and the lower price I have a Glock 19.

Clusterfrack
12-13-2020, 11:46 AM
If I had to have only one handgun, it would be a Glock 19. If I had to have only two handguns, it would be 2 Glock 19s.

HKs are awesome. But, Glock wins by default, for all the reasons already mentioned.

If I could have lots of handguns, I would have at least two Glocks, and some guns I "like" better. In my case, that is CZ, but could easily be HK instead.

What accessories do you need for your new Glock 19?
-No aftermarket trigger parts, barrels, etc. These make a Glock worse, not better.
-Good sights, unless your Glock already ships with them.
-Good holster (check out JM Custom Kydex). A good holster is a safety requirement for any Glock owner.
-Grip decal (e.g. Traction Grips). I find Glock grips a little slippery.
-Striker Control Device (https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/products/striker-control-device). This is the only aftermarket part I have in my Glocks, and it is a major safety advantage.

Hi everyone.

Jason M
12-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Don’t know where you live or to where you travel but...

If those include places in which there are 10 round magazine capacity restrictions the HK wins over the G19. OEM HK P30 10 round mags work. OEM Glock 19 10 round mags do not.

Sauer Koch
12-13-2020, 01:03 PM
IMO, the first issue to address is "do I want a striker fired gun, or a DA-SA/LEM gun"...after you answer that, then you can decide on a specific model. As noted, renting one of each is crucial to making the best decision at the time.

Good luck.

JonInWA
12-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Both are truly excellent guns. Since there's not a "wrong" decision to be made between the two, simply pick the one that has the best ergonomics, that you feel the most comfortable with, and that you shoot the best with. It's really that simple...

And, for what it's worth, I have, enjoy, use and appreciate both. My P30 is a P30L with V 1.5 LEM and OEM meprolight tritium night sights; my G19 is a Gen 3 with an upgraded triggerbar, dot connector, and OEM Trijicon tritium night sights.

I prefer the P30 with LEM as a duty/threat management gun, but that doesn't sound like your scenario of use. So-just go with whichever one strikes your fancy; we've given you excellent justifications for either.

Best, Jon

pastaslinger
12-13-2020, 03:05 PM
This is a no brainer to me- G19. I say this despite personally liking DA/SA guns. Duke said it nicely in another thread, DA/SA is a perishable skill.

Duke
12-13-2020, 05:29 PM
This is a no brainer to me- G19. I say this despite personally liking DA/SA guns. Duke said it nicely in another thread, DA/SA is a perishable skill.

Not only is perishable - but it’s rather ironic that we sell the Tda platform as a safer alternative for improper or unintended (trigger) lever operation. Then expect the same person under the same duress that made them neglect trigger safety to some degree will now operate the docking lever at the right time to maintain the systems zero energy default.

JonInWA
12-13-2020, 05:51 PM
Not only is perishable - but it’s rather ironic that we sell the Tda platform as a safer alternative for improper or unintended (trigger) lever operation. Then expect the same person under the same duress that made them neglect trigger safety to some degree will now operate the docking lever at the right time to maintain the systems zero energy default.

Or you go LEM...Best, Jon

Greg Bell
12-13-2020, 06:15 PM
I would probably go with the P30 but I prefer hammer DA/SA over Striker Safe Actions. I believe they are safer for most shooters since I believe that the danger of negligent discharge during administrative handling is much higher with Safe Action style designs. Really, the P30 is closer to the G45 but with superior ergonomics. It is a full size gun with a more compact slide. Just slap some HD's on there and order 3 extra mags and be done with it. I have had far less "out of the box" drama with HKs vs. Glocks over the years. That being said, I have two Gen 5 Glock 19s and they have been superb shooters and totally reliable. For years I would buy and sell Glocks because of their rando ejection habits. But my Gen 5s throw the brass perfectly to the right (mine are both newer models with the breech face cut).

You know what skip both of those and buy a Langdon Beretta 92!

Duke
12-13-2020, 06:15 PM
Gross lol.

I think I kept my P30L LEM TLG set up for 3 days

JonInWA
12-13-2020, 06:18 PM
You clearly needed the JonInWA V1.5 LEM with the Medium TRS, courtesy of Ryan and Tommy at HK US...😎

psalms144.1
12-13-2020, 06:32 PM
I keep hearing about how much easier strikers are to shoot than TDAs. They are certainly SIMPLER. I broke my G19 out of the safe after about a 3 month no-Glock hiatus, and had the worst day on the range in 35 years. Shooting exclusively 1911s has made my low-leftitis HORRIBLE. Shot the worst "dot torture" of my life at 3 yards. Ended up shoving my rear sight WAY over to the right, just to get onto a 2" circle at 7 yards consistently.

Just to be sure it wasn't just my "suck" day at the range, I shot a dot torture with my P2000 TDA, which I've got a total of 200 rounds through in the last 6 months, and shot it clean at 5 yards. Proceeded to repeat this performance with an LCP...

The Glock shoots FAST. When I'm inside 10 yards and just indexing and target-focused shooting at speed, it's fine. When I get back to 15 and 25 yards or shoot low probability shots closer than that, I'm low/left. I have to grip the Glock JUST RIGHT, and place my finger JUST RIGHT, and press the trigger JUST RIGHT to make my hits.

Of course, the 1911 is a cheater trigger. But I'm shooting my P2000 much better than my Glock right now - with less effort, less thought, and less angst. YMMV, and, of course, for a lot of folks, it does.

Duke
12-13-2020, 06:39 PM
You clearly needed the JonInWA V1.5 LEM with the Medium TRS, courtesy of Ryan and Tommy at HK US...😎

I ordered all the the springs hkparts.net stocked and mixed them all to get a proper feel

No go

Borderland
12-13-2020, 08:02 PM

Yep. It has no decocker. The trigger is the safety, just like a revolver and a Glock.

Joe in PNG
12-13-2020, 10:59 PM
I'd go with the Glock:
-It's pretty much a world wide standard at this point, so parts, holsters, mags, ammo, sights, and so on are fairly available.
-It's super easy to work on
-Most instructors, range officers, gunsmiths, and trainers are very familiar with it
-Decent reputation for reliability
-Usually not hard to replace or duplicate at a reasonable cost.

Bucky
12-14-2020, 06:10 AM
I
What accessories do you need for your new Glock 19?
-No aftermarket trigger parts, barrels, etc. These make a Glock worse, not better.

Respectfully disagree. Some Glocks ship with razor blades for triggers. I was able to smooth out my 19, but my 43 and 48 were awful. I replaced just the pad on my 43, and it was a vast improvement. The most notable improvement was it didn’t hurt to shoot, therefore I would shoot / practice more with it. Inners are stock, but can easily hold the A zone at 25, even at a 7.75 pound pull.

ER_STL
12-14-2020, 09:14 AM

<Thread drift a bit and slightly tangential>

I don't have a dog in the DA/SA vs striker debate, but I'm finding it difficult to reconcile the advocacy for TDA as an additional control against unintentional discharges with the idea that triggers - DA or striker - should be prepped to any degree to enhance speed and/or accuracy. It would seem to me that if it's feasible to accidentally pull the trigger under the stress of a defensive shooting, it's probably not a good idea to expect to be able to time a trigger press with a press-out or slack out a trigger while cleaning up the sights (or during the recoil cycle for that matter) in that same encounter. I don't have any experience shooting at things under duress other than during a match so I'm not qualified to speak about gun-fighting - I just have a hard time putting those two together.

Clusterfrack
12-14-2020, 10:37 AM
Respectfully disagree. Some Glocks ship with razor blades for triggers. I was able to smooth out my 19, but my 43 and 48 were awful. I replaced just the pad on my 43, and it was a vast improvement. The most notable improvement was it didn’t hurt to shoot, therefore I would shoot / practice more with it. Inners are stock, but can easily hold the A zone at 25, even at a 7.75 pound pull.

I should explain further about my statement that "aftermarket triggers make Glocks worse, not better". Comfort isn't as important as safety or reliability, and the most notable features of Glocks are safety and reliability. There are very few aftermarket parts that improve these in a Glock, and without extensive testing it is hard to evaluate. Note how taudevgroup no longer sells the SCD for aftermarket Glock triggers that alter pre-travel. There are a lot of aftermarket Glock triggers that are downright scary. I maintain that the best advice for a new shooter--and probably most everyone else--is don't modify your Glock.

If I had a Glock trigger that was unacceptably sharp or otherwise problematic, I would replace it--with another OEM Glock trigger.

If I was 99.9% confident that an aftermarket Glock trigger part did not alter reliability or safety, I suppose I would consider it? Actually not. To me, the whole point of a Glock is that it just works out of the box, and doesn't require fiddling.

The trigger tab definitely helps on the Glock. A lot of 'security checks' of the trigger are on the side of the trigger more then on the face. It's just a subconscious reassurance the trigger is where the user thinks it is, and since the tab prevents movement if it's not depressed it acts as another barrier to even fairly aggressive security checks. I think this is also the basis for the likely correct notion that length of travel is at least as valuable as weight for preventing unintended discharges. I don't view safe/unsafe as a binary state and would certainly not argue Glocks are unsafe, but I would not argue they are equally safe to a DA trigger with a hammer, either.

When I tracked unintended discharges that resulted in injury or death, the *vast* majority shot themselves instead of someone else. Shooting themselves in the off hand was the #1 injury by a pretty decent margin, followed by legs/thigh/groin, followed by foot. Administrative handling was the usual cause of the hand shootings, the old failing to properly clear then pulling the trigger to break the gun down routine. The others were accidents on the draw or on the holster. The outliers were things like gut shots trying to catch a falling gun and one freak accident where a dropped gun perfectly hit the corner of an open drawer that went into the trigger guard.

My preference for a hammer equipped gun is heavily influenced by the safety of holstering and administrative handling where the hammer plays as much a role as the trigger does. Especially with appendix carry where an unintended discharge is likely to be catastrophic. The Glock/SCD is within my personal risk tolerance as well.

Nicolaev
01-01-2021, 06:56 AM
Thk you all for your advise. I manage to learn many from you guys. You all are great! Happy new year to all!

JAD
01-01-2021, 07:42 AM
Nicolaev,

For me it would be very important to confirm that the above-mentioned striker control device is available in my country. If it is not, I would pursue the HK (I prefer the LEM). If it is, the Glock is the better choice — I think easier to shoot, and with much better ‘support’ (holsters, sights, etc).

I wouldn’t carry a Glock without an SCD.

Jon

BigT
01-02-2021, 12:26 PM
Outside the US HK support and support gear can be a massive challenge. Research the availability of mags and spares before you commit to anything.