PDA

View Full Version : F150 Ecoboost owners, check in

Pages : 1 [2]

mmc45414
04-20-2021, 02:30 PM
Wondering how much to level if I don’t want any squat with a load on the back. That’s the only thing holding me back.
That is why I had mine set at 1.75" one notch from the top.

Depends on the load, second or third down.
And it might also depend on the suspension payload package. When I bought mine I was going from a 3/4 ton Suburban to the 1/2 ton F-150 and made a point of getting the max towing package and I think that also implies the max payload package as well. For reference here is my truck last weekend with a pallet of mulch in it, probably about 1,800 pounds, probably pretty much at max capacity:

ETA: when I put something like the 600 pound ATV back there you cannot even see a difference.
ETA Again: with the 2015+ it may be different, but on my 2014 if a truck has the big mirrors it probably has max payload. When I was buying it there was plenty of room for confusion, I kept going through build and price, and couldn't find the big mirrors. But when you went back and specified 3.73 then boom, there are the big mirrors and integrated trailer brake controller.

TOTS
04-20-2021, 04:06 PM
At least on the ‘18s, the Max Tow and HD Payload packages are two separate packages and one doesn’t imply the other. In fact I didn’t think (not sure though) that you could get the payload with the tow. Could be wrong. The HDPP starts with a different frame, wheels, springs, shocks. The rear axle housing is the same on HDPP and MaxTow. The springs have a higher load rating, but a lower spring rate to make the ride softer.

LittleLebowski
04-20-2021, 04:15 PM
I haven’t gotten to play with the Backup Assist yet.

https://youtu.be/BBJERo419I8

0ddl0t
04-22-2021, 03:59 PM
So my buddy recently got a new 3.5 f150 after a 4 month covid supply chain delay, but sadly it has already left him on the side of the road. Apparently the factory installed a pre-formed coolant hose backwards. This orientation caused it to rub on the driveshaft, letting go with 621 on the odometer on a rural 2-lane highway with spotty cell reception.

Ford roadside promptly towed the truck to the closest dealer (where it awaits a new hose - covid supply chain delays), but the local towing company left him & his girlfriend on the side of the road to procure their own transportation due to their covid policy. The dealership's service advisor offered to personally pick them up, but he had already found a ride by then.

NGP
04-23-2021, 12:00 PM
Considering downgrading my drw 350 back to another ecoboost 150, the problem is, on the '21 models you either get the XL package or you get all the new "assist" features. Any experience here with the new ford co-pilot system? How much of a PITA is it? I already hate auto start-stop, doubtful I will care for auto emergency braking and evasive steering!

whomever
04-23-2021, 01:05 PM
Considering downgrading my drw 350 back to another ecoboost 150, the problem is, on the '21 models you either get the XL package or you get all the new "assist" features. Any experience here with the new ford co-pilot system? How much of a PITA is it? I already hate auto start-stop, doubtful I will care for auto emergency braking and evasive steering!

Just a FWIW - I have a 2018, and got a rock in the windshield. The glass repair places wanted to know if I had one or another of the various high-tech bits (I didn't). But apparently some of the sensors are part of the windshield, which drives the replacement cost pretty high. I didn't pay a lot of attention since I didn't have any of that, but 'what does a replacement windshield cost' might be a good question to ask.

I think I'd also want to know if repairing the high tech bits is mandatory, i.e. if lane assist breaks in 10 years, can I just do without if it is an expensive repair.

rayrevolver
04-23-2021, 04:30 PM
These Bilstein B8 B5100 rear shock absorbers (https://amzn.to/3dtFSTY) are a significant improvement over the stock ones and weren’t that hard to install.

Is there a rule of thumb on suspension replacement? Since I am close to 100k miles, with maybe 3000 towing, I was thinking about R&R the springs/dampers.

I was on the road in VA on this past Thursday, wind gusts over 20 knots, and the rig was surprisingly stable. So all seems well towing. I am conservative at 55-60mph, especially since noticing 1 trailer tire was damaged and swapped the day prior. 9.7 mpg loaded. Got 10.7 empty last weekend getting the travel trailer to/from the dealer about 150 miles total.

The idea of working on truck suspension scares me though.

0ddl0t
04-23-2021, 05:24 PM

There's an ~$80 modification to make the auto start-stop remember whether you last left it on or off.

Lester Polfus
04-23-2021, 05:26 PM
Is there a rule of thumb on suspension replacement? Since I am close to 100k miles, with maybe 3000 towing, I was thinking about R&R the springs/dampers.

I was on the road in VA on this past Thursday, wind gusts over 20 knots, and the rig was surprisingly stable. So all seems well towing. I am conservative at 55-60mph, especially since noticing 1 trailer tire was damaged and swapped the day prior. 9.7 mpg loaded. Got 10.7 empty last weekend getting the travel trailer to/from the dealer about 150 miles total.

The idea of working on truck suspension scares me though.

Rear shocks are a fairly easy DIY proposition. Struts used to run the risk of impaling yourself, or shooting the strut through the roof of your garage, although I guess that's no longer the case.

I CAN wrench on vehicles more than I do, but mostly I just take it some where reputable, drop it off, and pay freight when they are done. I've had more than one auto project that was supposed to be a "two hour job" turn into days of fussing and multiple trips to the auto shop. I'm fortunate enough these days just to pay somebody to do it.

rayrevolver
04-25-2021, 03:30 PM
Rear shocks are a fairly easy DIY proposition. Struts used to run the risk of impaling yourself, or shooting the strut through the roof of your garage, although I guess that's no longer the case.

I CAN wrench on vehicles more than I do, but mostly I just take it some where reputable, drop it off, and pay freight when they are done. I've had more than one auto project that was supposed to be a "two hour job" turn into days of fussing and multiple trips to the auto shop. I'm fortunate enough these days just to pay somebody to do it.

Yeah, its my daily so I would have to be done by Sunday night! I am 30 minutes from Autozone so those jobs that go sideways and need a trip or 2 back for parts take up a whole day.

I suppose the new plugs did work. I decided to take the freeways home as opposed to the back roads of VA. So this tank has 244 miles of freeway towing the travel trailer, mostly no a/c, at 60mph, and filled up with Shell 93. Best towing mileage by a long shot.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51137585397_7b93316669.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kURuwR)

Very curious if I am finally going to beat my best tank mileage of 18.8mpg in October 2019.

Coal Train
04-26-2021, 08:53 AM
Changed the spark plugs on my 2016 3.5L last week. Noticed slight roughness at idle, decrease in fuel economy, and a little lose in power. I have read that the ecoboost motors are hard on plugs so decided to change them. Hardest part was getting the coils off. Learned (the somewhat hard way) the best place to pry is on the screw hole. Truck has 48,XXX miles on it and the original plugs did not look great once I removed them. With the new plugs the truck is back to being it its old self.

Reminded me of working on older cars a bit as I could actually get to the plugs pretty easily without removing half the engine and performing extensive yoga maneuvers.

LittleLebowski
04-26-2021, 12:41 PM
Changed the spark plugs on my 2016 3.5L last week. Noticed slight roughness at idle, decrease in fuel economy, and a little lose in power. I have read that the ecoboost motors are hard on plugs so decided to change them. Hardest part was getting the coils off. Learned (the somewhat hard way) the best place to pry is on the screw hole. Truck has 48,XXX miles on it and the original plugs did not look great once I removed them. With the new plugs the truck is back to being it its old self.

Reminded me of working on older cars a bit as I could actually get to the plugs pretty easily without removing half the engine and performing extensive yoga maneuvers.

Pry on the screw hole? On my ‘18, the hardest part for me was getting the connector off of the coil, I used the jaws of a multi tool to gently pry. I was shocked at the low torque setting for the plugs (11 foot lbs). I believe the factory recommendation for plug changes is 60k miles.

I’m looking at new tires and I keep coming back to the Bridgestone K02s.

Coal Train
04-26-2021, 12:49 PM
Pry on the screw hole?
Yeah, that was not the greatest of description. I meant pry on the ear where you bolt the coil to cover after you remove the bolt in order to get the coil off the plug.

I was shocked at the low torque setting for the plugs (11 foot lbs).
#MeToo (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=MeToo)

I am happy with the Toyo's but admittedly I only have ~500 miles on them.

Lester Polfus
04-26-2021, 02:00 PM
Pry on the screw hole? On my ‘18, the hardest part for me was getting the connector off of the coil, I used the jaws of a multi tool to gently pry. I was shocked at the low torque setting for the plugs (11 foot lbs). I believe the factory recommendation for plug changes is 60k miles.

I’m looking at new tires and I keep coming back to the Bridgestone K02s.

Do you maybe mean BFG K02s?

If so, I love that tire so far. Excellent on road manners. Not noisy for an all-terrain tire, and the quiet cabin of the F150 makes up for what noise there is. They don't seem to hit the gas mileage hard.

I don't do hard core 4x4 stuff, but this truck has spent plenty of time on crappy Forest Service roads, including some steep slopes with loose gravel, and they are great. The fling rocks like the dickens.

I haven't done much towing on them yet, but I think they will work out for that.

So far they have been the perfect tire for my use case.

rayrevolver
04-26-2021, 02:57 PM
I believe the factory recommendation for plug changes is 60k miles.

Lol, I feel like an idiot. I bought the maintenance package and literally hardly paid any attention, I brought it in, they did their thing. The dealer must have changed my plugs at 60k. So that means the ones I showed previously were about 32k.

Its the first vehicle I have ever owned where I have not done a single oil change.

I have some Havoline Pro DS 5w-30 in slick 6qt oil boxes (like box-o-wine) and will probably do my next one to see what its like under there. Its the best deal on full synth oil, only at Walmart (or Walmart online), since we need more than 5qts for the 3.5L.

LittleLebowski
04-29-2021, 06:37 AM

If so, I love that tire so far. Excellent on road manners. Not noisy for an all-terrain tire, and the quiet cabin of the F150 makes up for what noise there is. They don't seem to hit the gas mileage hard.

I don't do hard core 4x4 stuff, but this truck has spent plenty of time on crappy Forest Service roads, including some steep slopes with loose gravel, and they are great. The fling rocks like the dickens.

I haven't done much towing on them yet, but I think they will work out for that.

Yup, getting them today. Going up slightly from 275/65R18s to 275/70R18s and getting the LT raised ones for the stronger ply.

LittleLebowski
04-29-2021, 06:37 AM
Cue the mother in law jokes. Ford introducing the self weighing F150.

https://youtu.be/5oexI5EIIg0

LittleLebowski
04-29-2021, 06:39 AM
Lol, I feel like an idiot. I bought the maintenance package and literally hardly paid any attention, I brought it in, they did their thing. The dealer must have changed my plugs at 60k. So that means the ones I showed previously were about 32k.

Its the first vehicle I have ever owned where I have not done a single oil change.

I have some Havoline Pro DS 5w-30 in slick 6qt oil boxes (like box-o-wine) and will probably do my next one to see what its like under there. Its the best deal on full synth oil, only at Walmart (or Walmart online), since we need more than 5qts for the 3.5L.

I just use the Walmart or Amazon synthetic with a Ford OEM filter, every 5k miles. Getting this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H56TP4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) made my oil changes much easier.

rayrevolver
04-29-2021, 09:22 AM
I just use the Walmart or Amazon synthetic with a Ford OEM filter, every 5k miles. Getting this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H56TP4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) made my oil changes much easier.

Whoa, that is slick. And its covered with a skid plate so no worries of smashing it off.

Surprisingly, the Havoline Pro DS is cheaper than Amazon oil. Its a 6qt container for $18-20. I assume you have to buy the 5qt jug plus a bottle or the 6 single quarts for $26. Just saying, the 6qt oil in a box is slick deal for these Ecoboosts that need 5.9 quarts.

The Walmart Supertech oil is about the same cost.

Its never in-stock though so you need to get a reminder thing.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-Havoline-Smart-Change-Pro-DS-5W30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-6qt/537902742

Back to my previous post, I don't feel like an idiot anymore! Yes folks, my manual says the 2013 3.5L Ecoboost gets new plugs at 100,000 miles. I called the folks who serviced my truck and they confirmed those plugs were the factory plugs.

So here I am around 93k miles with new plugs, gapped at 0.030 and guess what: My normal driving around mpg is right at 20.0mpg <--- yes I am limping around at 50mph on our country roads. UNBELIEVEABLE. For almost 10 years I have been getting 16,17, sometimes 18 on a tank around town. My best ever was 18.8mpg. My current lifetime is 16.1mpg tracked on Fuelly. Every fuel up since new has been hand tracked.

Its upsetting to know how much money I have wasted on gas when all I needed was spark plugs gapped correctly from the blankety blank factory!!!

Anywho... I am gearing up for the front diff, rear diff, and transfer case fluids change. I bought Amsoil fluids + Valvoline Transfer case oil. Gonna let Ford do the ATF for the trans (manual says 150k miles, but gonna do it early with the coolant swap). I figure if I do this all around 100k miles, I will be solid for another 100k miles.

Coal Train
04-29-2021, 09:37 AM
This seems like something that could get someone in "trouble" if your truck philosophy is, "if it fits in the bed/hooks to the bumper, I can haul it/tow it."

Cue the mother in law jokes. Ford introducing the self weighing F150.

https://youtu.be/5oexI5EIIg0

LittleLebowski
04-29-2021, 12:46 PM

Would you advise getting mud flaps for the rock flinging?

Lester Polfus
04-29-2021, 02:01 PM
Would you advise getting mud flaps for the rock flinging?

I would. The truck came with them on the back tires and I think I'm gonna get some for the front too.

Coyotesfan97
04-29-2021, 03:06 PM
So my buddy recently got a new 3.5 f150 after a 4 month covid supply chain delay, but sadly it has already left him on the side of the road. Apparently the factory installed a pre-formed coolant hose backwards. This orientation caused it to rub on the driveshaft, letting go with 621 on the odometer on a rural 2-lane highway with spotty cell reception.

Ford roadside promptly towed the truck to the closest dealer (where it awaits a new hose - covid supply chain delays), but the local towing company left him & his girlfriend on the side of the road to procure their own transportation due to their covid policy. The dealership's service advisor offered to personally pick them up, but he had already found a ride by then.

In the early 2000s my brand new Expedition’s master clutch cylinder went out on the second day I drove it. I was in downtown Mesa. The dealership was in NE Scottsdale. They paid for the tow, I rode in the truck, and it was fixed while I waited. The salesman told me there was a part lot issue and mine hadn’t been caught. It happens.

LittleLebowski
04-29-2021, 03:28 PM
I would. The truck came with them on the back tires and I think I'm gonna get some for the front too.

These fit my 2018, I just ordered them. $60 for front and back.

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-Liners-Front-Guards-Flares/dp/B01MSLPD02/

Lester Polfus
04-29-2021, 04:22 PM
These fit my 2018, I just ordered them. $60 for front and back.

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-Liners-Front-Guards-Flares/dp/B01MSLPD02/

Cool. Let me know how they work out? My Amazon wish list of bits and bobs for the truck has grown large.

After the budget cools off from paying taxes, buying a truck and buying a new trailer, I'm going to put Built Right molle panels in the bed...

LittleLebowski
04-29-2021, 07:49 PM
Cool. Let me know how they work out? My Amazon wish list of bits and bobs for the truck has grown large.

After the budget cools off from paying taxes, buying a truck and buying a new trailer, I'm going to put Built Right molle panels in the bed...

The factory folding bed extender is amazing. Sorry :D I bought a “knockoff” made in the same factory in China as the OEM allegedly and I love it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KXTWVBD/

LittleLebowski
04-29-2021, 07:50 PM

Also, I should have these installed by Saturday morning, I’ll post a review.

rayrevolver
04-29-2021, 08:07 PM
The factory folding bed extender is amazing. Sorry :D I bought a “knockoff” made in the same factory in China as the OEM allegedly and I love it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KXTWVBD/

Yup, mine came with it. Never knew how useful it would be, especially with the mini 5.5' bed. I also have the stripper pole and old man step. For making multiple hops in and out, its great.

tanner
04-30-2021, 12:14 PM

As if my visits to this forum didn't cost me enough already.

There goes another c-note...

The original drain plug is horrible. I think I didn't spray my driveway with oil maybe once out of 6 or so tries.

LittleLebowski
04-30-2021, 02:58 PM
New tires and almost leveled out (1.76” on the Bilsteins up front). I blame Lester Polfus for the K02s purchase.

LittleLebowski
05-03-2021, 07:48 AM
Pulled a stump. Yes, that’s a target in the background :cool:

rayrevolver
05-03-2021, 10:23 AM
With all the work I have been doing under this truck, I have been looking at the rear diff, transfer case, and front end urryday, to make sure nothing was leaking. Yesterday I noticed leaking fluid from the engine area, passenger side. Was red/pink, pretty thin, and coming from somewhere I was NOT working on!

I have the transmission cooler and my guess its ATF coming from the lines up to the small radiator up front. Dangit.

So I saved all this money by swapping out fluids and now probably going to pay Ford to find and fix this leak. I suppose the bright side is that leak just started, as best I can tell, and I caught it before all my ATF was puked out and I nuked my trans.

rayrevolver
05-04-2021, 02:52 PM
Its coolant leaking from near the passenger side turbo, so the fluid was orange and not pink. Turbo has to come out and it could be as bad as $1100 when all is said and done, based on a bunch of seals and the replacing plumbing. Fahk!

He said its not leaking much, so we can wait and see if it gets worse or not. Big picture, I can easily top off coolant but geez this is an expensive coolant leak to fix. I have a few indy shops nearby and I can call and get an estimate, but have not dealt with them at all.

I'm gonna drive it and monitor my coolant reservoir. If it starts getting silly then I will cough up the cash. My next camping trip is in 2 months and you know its gonna let loose while towing someplace in the mountains!

TOTS
05-10-2021, 10:20 AM
As if my visits to this forum didn't cost me enough already.

There goes another c-note...

The original drain plug is horrible. I think I didn't spray my driveway with oil maybe once out of 6 or so tries.

Don’t need to buy the new Star Wars drain plugs. They are starting to replace the yellow plastic ones at the dealership with the old school metal plugs. That’s what I have on my 18.

tanner
05-10-2021, 05:47 PM
Don’t need to buy the new Star Wars drain plugs. They are starting to replace the yellow plastic ones at the dealership with the old school metal plugs. That’s what I have on my 18.

Too late! :cool:

The worst part wasn't getting the plug out, it was the 3 foot stream of boiling hot oil jetting out of the oil pan and splashing all over the place. The new one should slow it to a manageable flow.

Greg
05-10-2021, 06:22 PM
Most off-road tires are kinda quiet when new , but they all howl as you put the miles on them.

rayrevolver
05-10-2021, 06:44 PM
Too late! :cool:

The worst part wasn't getting the plug out, it was the 3 foot stream of boiling hot oil jetting out of the oil pan and splashing all over the place. The new one should slow it to a manageable flow.

For the older trucks like mine, these work (fumoto):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/383516769847?epid=4041912528&hash=item594b617e37:g:IToAAOSwlSda7QEM

And you can attach a hose to drain into your pan. Voila! Gonna get one for my next oil change.

LittleLebowski
05-16-2021, 12:59 PM
Anyone get pleasure out of smoking people with a Ford pickup from stoplights?

Lester Polfus
05-16-2021, 01:23 PM
Anyone get pleasure out of smoking people with a Ford pickup from stoplights?

The other day I passed a guy in a Porsche who was being a dick to other drivers.

I was pulling trailer at the time.

That was fun.

I'll post a more comprehensive account later, to add to the competency-forum.com EcoBoost knowledge base, but my conclusion from towing a 2500lb trailer 130 miles south, and then a 3600lb trailer north, is that the trailer weight doesn't seem to slow the truck down all that much. It just drinks a bunch more gas if you want to push your eyeball in while accelerating.

LittleLebowski
05-16-2021, 04:51 PM
The other day I passed a guy in a Porsche who was being a dick to other drivers.

I was pulling trailer at the time.

That was fun.

I'll post a more comprehensive account later, to add to the competency-forum.com EcoBoost knowledge base, but my conclusion from towing a 2500lb trailer 130 miles south, and then a 3600lb trailer north, is that the trailer weight doesn't seem to slow the truck down all that much. It just drinks a bunch more gas if you want to push your eyeball in while accelerating.

Those turbos are a game changer, especially at altitude.

TOTS
05-16-2021, 10:29 PM
Those turbos are a game changer, especially at altitude.

Wishlist: 5.3L Ecoboost with appropriate turbos. Seems like a simple swap! Just switch the numbers around. Seriously, it would fix literally the only shortcoming of the 3.5; the sound.

LittleLebowski
05-17-2021, 07:28 AM
Wishlist: 5.3L Ecoboost with appropriate turbos. Seems like a simple swap! Just switch the numbers around. Seriously, it would fix literally the only shortcoming of the 3.5; the sound.

How about a supercharged V8?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35394861/2022-ford-f-150-raptor-r-confirmed/

TOTS
05-17-2021, 08:44 AM

Meh, it’ll be a beast, but I’m done with roots blowers on street cars. Heat soak is a b1t?h. I had my fill of it on a built Cobra from 05-08. It was beautiful with ice in the tank. On the road I’d lose about a hundred hp. And the struggle was real fighting belt slip too. Turbos, man! They are truth!

Eta: none of the above would prevent me from absolutely loving having the truck you linked to😉

rob_s
05-17-2021, 09:19 AM

and then the going rumor is that the new "Lightning" will be "more powerful Raptor R".

which, of course, has me assuming it'll also be more expensive...

and wishing there was actual inventory of the F150 hybrid. Or, maybe not, as I'd likely be unable to resist the temptation.

LittleLebowski
05-17-2021, 09:40 AM
and then the going rumor is that the new "Lightning" will be "more powerful Raptor R".

which, of course, has me assuming it'll also be more expensive...

and wishing there was actual inventory of the F150 hybrid. Or, maybe not, as I'd likely be unable to resist the temptation.

Yeah, I think they nailed it with the PowerBoost.

LittleLebowski
05-17-2021, 09:41 AM
Car and Driver PowerBoost review.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34716469/2021-ford-f-150-hybrid-by-the-numbers/

mmc45414
05-17-2021, 09:42 AM
wishing there was actual inventory of the F150 hybrid.
It is funny, but this is the first thing in a long time that really cranked me up about a new vehicle. That they took the powertrain I already know and love and ADDED torque makes me want to do something silly. Then they threw in the integrated genset that would enable making coffee and cocktails on the tailgate, I mean run power tools. I do not need a truck that will 0-60 in 5.6sec. Want, on the other hand...

Or, maybe not, as I'd likely be unable to resist the temptation.
Yeah, the paid off 2014 with less than 90k on it sitting in the driveway is giving me the side eye just for typing this. Replacing that thing would would be reckless, we paid it off, now it is time to wear it out, let the adventure begin!

But another thing that holds me back is the extended cab fits our needs perfectly and the hybrid is only configured in the crew. If they did do it in an extended cab I could also build a rational for maybe getting one that would also fit in my garage and turn around without tugboats, but I am also getting used the eight foot bed.

Oh well, they don't make what I want so I am going to use what I got.

rayrevolver
05-17-2021, 11:20 AM
It is funny, but this is the first thing in a long time that really cranked me up about a new vehicle. That they took the powertrain I already know and love and ADDED torque makes me want to do something silly. Then they threw in the integrated genset that would enable making coffee and cocktails on the tailgate, I mean run power tools. I do not need a truck that will 0-60 in 5.6sec. Want, on the other hand...

Yeah, the paid off 2014 with less than 90k on it sitting in the driveway is giving me the side eye just for typing this. Replacing that thing would would be reckless, we paid it off, now it is time to wear it out, let the adventure begin!

But another thing that holds me back is the extended cab fits our needs perfectly and the hybrid is only configured in the crew. If they did do it in an extended cab I could also build a rational for maybe getting one that would also fit in my garage and turn around without tugboats, but I am also getting used the eight foot bed.

Oh well, they don't make what I want so I am going to use what I got.

Lol, I have been down this path in the last 2 weeks. My 2013 is paid off and has 93k miles. But then the big coolant leak happens and I am like, time to junk her for a Hybrid!

The Hybrid Crew is perfect for me. I can drive over to the travel trailer and use the truck if I need AC power, vice taking the small generator (which just died). It has more payload than my 2013 and can pull what I need. Better mileage etc. But another monthly payment... ugh, no thanks.

I am keeping the 2013 and its getting fixed as we speak. The good news, all that special fluid they put in to see the leak pointed to the water pump after I drove it around for a week, not the pax side turbo. So hopefully the repair bill is half the previous estimate and I get a new water pump for my troubles.

Is this bad??? haha
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51184590142_eb0b2f3a5f.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kZ1ppu)

mmc45414
05-17-2021, 11:45 AM
The Hybrid Crew is perfect for me. I can drive over to the travel trailer and use the truck if I need AC power, vice taking the small generator (which just died). It has more payload than my 2013 and can pull what I need.

We do not even have a camper, but am thinking about a camper, but if I had a truck that could run my coffee maker in the camper I would for damn sure run right out and get a camper, that is just how my pea brain works! :cool:

LittleLebowski
05-17-2021, 11:56 AM
mmc45414 shoot me a PM.

TCinVA
05-17-2021, 07:59 PM
So a few words about maintenance:

Ford's recommended service intervals are bullshit. You shouldn't follow them if you intend to keep your truck for the long haul.

Take the spark plugs as an example. Ford says that the first gen Coyote only needs plugs every 100,000 unless you are using the truck in "severe" conditions. I pulled mine at 81,000 because the fuel mileage was far worse than it was supposed to be and there was a distinctly rich smell coming from the exhaust. It was a good call because the gap on the plugs was stupid huge and the plugs had begun to cake up with fuel and carbon. This truck saw mostly highway miles with a lightly loaded bed. It was by no means "severe" duty, but the plugs should have been replaced no later than 70,000. The 60,000 "severe" conditions recommendation is actually a perfectly sane recommendation for normal use of the truck to ensure best performance and prevent killing the ignition coils.

...and that's with the 5.0 Coyote. The Ecoboost is harder on plugs than the non-boosted engines so I most definitely wouldn't put those past 60K with even the lightest duty.

The same will go for the fluids. Ford's recommended intervals are silly.

For the rear differential and the transfer case, replace the fluids every 30,000. For the front differential that isn't engaged unless the truck is in 4x4 maybe every 60,000, but it doesn't cost that much more to have the front differential done when you are doing/having the rear differential done.

Brake fluid should be done every couple of years due to how easily it sucks in moisture from the atmosphere. Regular fluid changes are easier than replacing corroded brake components when they start to malfunction.

Coolant, stick to no more than 60,000 miles.

Transmission fluid I wouldn't push past 60,000 miles. I intend to do mine every 30,000 because transmissions these days are ever more dependent on ever more sensitive electronic solenoids and components that are less tolerant to contaminants and particles than in the past. The fluids are better than ever, but the transmissions are more sensitive than ever...so if your interest is the longest possible service out of the machine be proactive about that fluid change.

Oil is always controversial but with DI or boosted engines the gas dilution can be ridiculous. I helped a buddy change the oil in his 3.5 Ecoboost at 5,000 and the oil reeked of gasoline. He'd have probably been much better off changing at 3,000, even with good quality synthetic oil. I don't intend to push mine past 5,000 with the non-boosted engine. The timing chains on most of the Ford truck motors seem to be happiest in the long term with more frequent oil changes as it helps prevent the wear that leads to chain stretch.

Fords seem especially prone to experiencing "death wobble" when tie rod ends, ball joints, pitman arms, bushings, or other suspension components wear out...so those bear watching, too.

With new trucks costing 45 grand at a minimum for any spec someone would want to live with and the typical truck on lots I've seen being 50-70,000 dollars, and knowing how badly maintained a lot of used trucks are (spend money on maintenance? Nah, bruh, HUGE RIMS, LIFT KITS AND SUB WOOFERS!), I'm down to keep my truck running as long as possible. That won't happen if I follow Ford's "recommended" maintenance schedule designed to make TCO look lower while making it a virtual certainty that big dollar repairs will need to be done not long after the warranty is out.

TOTS
05-18-2021, 10:11 PM
Re the above maintenance post (didn’t want to quote it), the FordTechMakuloco YouTube channel has a lot of good info concerning this. He has a really good video stating pretty much the same as above. Linking for those liking videos: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WaPJJ3hUHN0&t=643s

Eta: at some point I need to learn how to imbed videos and change the link to text in my posts 😞

LittleLebowski
05-20-2021, 09:48 AM
Does anyone here know if Mobil Synthetic ATF (https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-112980-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B009IE2R0U/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=mobil+ulv+transmission&qid=1621521914&sr=8-7) is the equivalent of Ford Mercon ULV ATF (https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us/home/our-products/chemicals-and-lubricants/transmission-fluid/mercon-ulv-automatic-transmission-fluids.html)? The Mobil is much easier to get than the Mercon for me and I need to do a transmission fluid change on my 10 spd 10r80.

LittleLebowski
05-20-2021, 09:49 AM
Re the above maintenance post (didn’t want to quote it), the FordTechMakuloco YouTube channel has a lot of good info concerning this. He has a really good video stating pretty much the same as above. Linking for those liking videos: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WaPJJ3hUHN0&t=643s

Eta: at some point I need to learn how to imbed videos and change the link to text in my posts 😞

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?46243-How-to-embed-videos-into-posts

https://youtu.be/WaPJJ3hUHN0?t=643

revchuck38
05-20-2021, 11:11 AM
Is there an equivalent website/channel to FordTechMakuloco for Ram trucks?

Brian T
05-20-2021, 11:25 AM
I understand this discussion has progressed, but I figured I'd offer my data.

2017 F-150 (purchased new)

2.7 v6 EB

6 speed trans

FX4

213,700 miles

CEL on (evap canister purge solenoid)

Changing plugs this weekend. Not happy with the Motorcraft SP578 that I last installed, going back to the SP542 that came in the truck. Apparently the SP542 was replaced by the 578, and the 542s were deleted. I just found out they didnt quit making them, they rebranded them as the Ford Performance Plug M-12405-35T. So I will go back to those

LittleLebowski
05-20-2021, 01:53 PM
Does anyone here know if Mobil Synthetic ATF (https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-112980-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B009IE2R0U/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=mobil+ulv+transmission&qid=1621521914&sr=8-7) is the equivalent of Ford Mercon ULV ATF (https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us/home/our-products/chemicals-and-lubricants/transmission-fluid/mercon-ulv-automatic-transmission-fluids.html)? The Mobil is much easier to get than the Mercon for me and I need to do a transmission fluid change on my 10 spd 10r80.

I found Ford Mercon ULV for an excellent price shipped on eBay, FYI.

LittleLebowski
05-21-2021, 08:55 AM
Surprisingly, the Havoline Pro DS is cheaper than Amazon oil. Its a 6qt container for $18-20. I assume you have to buy the 5qt jug plus a bottle or the 6 single quarts for $26. Just saying, the 6qt oil in a box is slick deal for these Ecoboosts that need 5.9 quarts.

The Walmart Supertech oil is about the same cost.

Its never in-stock though so you need to get a reminder thing.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-Havoline-Smart-Change-Pro-DS-5W30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-6qt/537902742

This was a solid tip, I bought four of these at Walmart.com with free delivery.

LittleLebowski
05-22-2021, 01:19 PM
This was a solid tip, I bought four of these at Walmart.com with free delivery.

And…Walmart managed to fuck up this simple order of four boxes of 5w30. I received two boxes of 5w30 and two of 0w30.

rd62
05-22-2021, 06:51 PM
And…Walmart managed to fuck up this simple order of four boxes of 5w30. I received two boxes of 5w30 and two of 0w30.

Here's my shocked face.

rayrevolver
05-22-2021, 10:24 PM

I didn't know you could get Pro DS in 0w30. It's the 6qt box? That might be some Euro spec stuff.

Nerd alert: Can you post a pic of the box?

LittleLebowski
05-23-2021, 10:09 AM
I didn't know you could get Pro DS in 0w30. It's the 6qt box? That might be some Euro spec stuff.

Nerd alert: Can you post a pic of the box?

andre3k
05-24-2021, 06:58 AM
I'm thoroughly enjoying my wifes 2.7 Ecoboost. I had a 2014 3.5 ecoboost and for daily driving I can't tell much of a difference. The 2.7 is currently the tow rig for our 4700 lb travel trailer. It has no issues pulling it, but sway is an issue. Hopefully a weight distribution hitch will solve that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rayrevolver
05-24-2021, 07:54 AM
I'm thoroughly enjoying my wifes 2.7 Ecoboost. I had a 2014 3.5 ecoboost and for daily driving I can't tell much of a difference. The 2.7 is currently the tow rig for our 4700 lb travel trailer. It has no issues pulling it, but sway is an issue. Hopefully a weight distribution hitch will solve that.

The place I bought my travel trailer included an Equalizer Hitch. Its the only hitch I have ever used, so take that with a grain of salt. It seems to do a good job of both weight distribution and sway control. I am not going to say towing a 33' travel trailer in 25-30 knot gusts was easy-peasy but I never felt like I couldn't control the whole rig.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

EDIT: If you do self install, some of the hardware calls for 300 ft lbs of torque.

LittleLebowski
05-24-2021, 08:13 AM
I understand this discussion has progressed, but I figured I'd offer my data.

2017 F-150 (purchased new)

2.7 v6 EB

6 speed trans

FX4

213,700 miles

CEL on (evap canister purge solenoid)

Changing plugs this weekend. Not happy with the Motorcraft SP578 that I last installed, going back to the SP542 that came in the truck. Apparently the SP542 was replaced by the 578, and the 542s were deleted. I just found out they didnt quit making them, they rebranded them as the Ford Performance Plug M-12405-35T. So I will go back to those

Brian T No major issues otherwise?

Coal Train
05-24-2021, 06:13 PM
In my experience a weight distributing hitch makes a great deal of difference in comfort and control when towing larger loads. I have the one linked above. It loads both axles rather than just the rear. Just make sure you get it adjusted correctly and you don’t lose a limb installing/removing the bars. If you follow Ford’s tow manual restrictions you are supposed to use one if you bumper pull more than 5,000 lbs.

I wish I had brought mine when I picked up 3 pallets of orange painted dirt this weekend but it all worked out.....

Brian T
05-24-2021, 07:25 PM
Brian T No major issues otherwise?

Nope. Oil change every 5,000 with Mobil 1 5w20. New factory air filter every other oil change. Tranny service every 80,000 at the dealership. I've never changed the fluid in the differentials. Whoops.

I did manage to fuck up the right rear brake caliper while changing the brakes. $100+core mistake I wont make again (I absolutely HATE the electric parking brake). In the words of Crow T Robot, "I wont do that again!"

As I am one of those gun owners that must have spare parts for every gun, since so many of these trucks have sold here in Texas, I go to Ford only scrap yards from time-to-time to pick up spare parts, but I havent needed any.

Brian T
05-25-2021, 12:41 AM
I forgot to mention that this weekend a tire pressure sensor crapped out on me

andre3k
05-25-2021, 02:31 AM
The place I bought my travel trailer included an Equalizer Hitch. Its the only hitch I have ever used, so take that with a grain of salt. It seems to do a good job of both weight distribution and sway control. I am not going to say towing a 33' travel trailer in 25-30 knot gusts was easy-peasy but I never felt like I couldn't control the whole rig.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

EDIT: If you do self install, some of the hardware calls for 300 ft lbs of torque.We ordered one from Curt via Amazon. We'll see how the install goes this week.

LittleLebowski
05-26-2021, 02:15 PM

It gets better. I received my replacements today. Two more boxes of 0w30. Fuck my life. I checked, I didn’t fuck up the order.

revchuck38
05-26-2021, 02:44 PM
It gets better. I received my replacements today. Two more boxes of 0w30. Fuck my life. I checked, I didn’t fuck up the order.

You’ve got enough winter oil for the next four years. :)

TCinVA
05-29-2021, 07:01 PM
Lol, I have been down this path in the last 2 weeks. My 2013 is paid off and has 93k miles. But then the big coolant leak happens and I am like, time to junk her for a Hybrid!

The Hybrid Crew is perfect for me. I can drive over to the travel trailer and use the truck if I need AC power, vice taking the small generator (which just died). It has more payload than my 2013 and can pull what I need. Better mileage etc. But another monthly payment... ugh, no thanks.

I am keeping the 2013 and its getting fixed as we speak. The good news, all that special fluid they put in to see the leak pointed to the water pump after I drove it around for a week, not the pax side turbo. So hopefully the repair bill is half the previous estimate and I get a new water pump for my troubles.

Is this bad??? haha
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51184590142_eb0b2f3a5f.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kZ1ppu)

Yeah, the 12th gen F150's with any engine seem prone to lunching their water pumps at a certain point just due to how they're constructed. On some trucks it never happens, on others guys are on their third pump. Hard to say. But keeping an eye on coolant is important on these trucks.

On the plus side, at least it's not like some of the other engines where when the water pump dies it dumps coolant into the engine oil ruining the engine entirely.

rayrevolver
06-06-2021, 07:08 PM
And now a HID headlight is out. Found a place that has OEM HID bulbs at decent prices. First time dealing with non-halogen bulbs.

https://www.hidconcept.com/products/d3s-osram-hid-standard-oem-4300k-66340-bulb-pack-of-2?_pos=4&_sid=3e522a47a&_ss=r

https://www.hidconcept.com/products/d3s-philips-hid-standard-oem-4300k-42302c1-bulb-w-security-label-pack-of-2?_pos=15&_sid=3e522a47a&_ss=r

Or you can roll the dice on their "house" brand, whiter and a little more juice, called Dama. Less overall life... And for some reason I am going to try them. I hope the extra power is worth it. The similar power Osram/Phillips are in the $200 range.

https://www.hidconcept.com/products/d3s-dama-kanji-ultimate-vision-gen2-5000k-hid-bulbs-pack-of-2?_pos=4&_sid=aed02ddf6&_ss=r

I am hopefully going to change a bulb on one side and then take a comparison pic. Of course if the new bulb doesn't work it means my ballast is bad.

Brian T
06-09-2021, 01:35 PM
I forgot to mention, I am a big proponent of using fuel injector cleaner. In specific I use Techron dedicated to direct injection.

TOTS
06-09-2021, 08:27 PM
I forgot to mention, I am a big proponent of using fuel injector cleaner. In specific I use Techron dedicated to direct injection.

I’m a believer! At 45K the fuel sending unit on my Z06 wouldn’t send anymore. While attempting to get the parts for a new pump/ sending unit, I was introduced to Techron. Now after 175K miles, after using it about once every other year, I have yet to have had any further fuel problems. Just pulled the injectors and the pintles all look new. They all flowed within a couple of percent of each other.

rayrevolver
06-10-2021, 09:11 AM
Swapped the HIDs yesterday, sorry I couldn't do 1 at a time for a comparison. The are whiter, yes. I cannot tell about the total power as I drove this morning at 0530 it was getting bright out.

Yup, I use the normal Techron full system cleaner. I try for once a year. The wife's new Kia states if you don't use Tier 1 fuel to use a fuel system cleaner at some regular interval.

Shell is my closest station, and expensive, but that's all we use.

As far as mileage, my old plugs last 3 fill ups were 17.1, 17.3, and 17.2. With new plugs it's been 19.1 and 18.6. So that is significant in my mind.

Coolant leak has been addressed. Have ATF fluid and coolant flush planned when I hit 100k miles.

Coal Train
06-16-2021, 02:22 PM
My 2016 is at 51,XXX miles and I am wondering if it might be time to change the shocks. The rear-end seems to hop a bit more than it used to over bumps (but it has always hopped a bit more than my older trucks). Wondering if I should go ahead and change the front shocks at the same time. If it is just the back I will change them myself, if I include the fronts I will have a shop do the work.

It seems the consensus of the internet is that Bilstiens are the most common replacement. I want to keep the ride heights the same, not looking to level it.

Anyone have any thoughts on shocks?

rd62
06-16-2021, 09:01 PM
Not an F150, but I replaced the worn factory shocks on my wife's Expedition EL with Bilsteins and have been very pleased. Nice ride and handling improvement.

David S.
10-13-2021, 11:09 PM
Sorry for the thread drift. I'm not sure it's worth opening a new thread.

Anybody do any comparison research on GM's 5.3L EcoTec engines? I'm looking and downsizing from a Super Duty and I'm going back and forth between preowned Fords and GMs. Initial impressions are fairly even, though I find the GMs seem to have a bit better legroom.

David S.
10-28-2021, 08:10 AM
How's the Bluetooth phone integration on these newer trucks?

I generally hated the SYNC on my 2013 F350. The SYNC on my buddy's similar aged Raptor also sucked.

LittleLebowski
10-28-2021, 10:42 AM
How's the Bluetooth phone integration on these newer trucks?

I generally hated the SYNC on my 2013 F350. The SYNC on my buddy's similar aged Raptor also sucked.

It just works on SYNC 3.3 for me.

SecondsCount
10-28-2021, 03:10 PM
Sorry for the thread drift. I'm not sure it's worth opening a new thread.

Anybody do any comparison research on GM's 5.3L EcoTec engines? I'm looking and downsizing from a Super Duty and I'm going back and forth between preowned Fords and GMs. Initial impressions are fairly even, though I find the GMs seem to have a bit better legroom.

Buy whichever has the features that you like. I have friends that own Ram, Ford, and Chevy, and they are all happy with them for the most part. My neighbor has the Chevy with a 5.3 and is super happy with the mileage.

MVS
10-28-2021, 08:09 PM
Just got my 2017 Explorer Ecoboost out of the shop. 82,000 miles and needed a new right lower control arm and two new front axle shafts. Seems awful early to me. Still love the 3.5 motor.

David S.
10-15-2022, 10:28 AM
Necro thread.

You talked me into it.

2019 F-150 XLT, SCrew, 4x4, 3.5L EB, Max Tow. 6'6" bed. 39k.

TOTS
10-16-2022, 09:05 PM
Necro thread.

You talked me into it.

2019 F-150 XLT, SCrew, 4x4, 3.5L EB, Max Tow. 6'6" bed. 39k.

Very nice! I got an identical model with the exception of my FX4 addition to the Chrome Appearance Package.

David S.
11-03-2022, 08:33 PM
https://youtu.be/MDzpwsOs3IQ

Vista461
11-04-2022, 11:37 PM
I don’t own it, but I drive a 2020 F150 Police Responder 3.5 Ecoboost for work. Have a little over 30k on it and no issues so far.
Definitely moves out better than the Explorer we have (2018).

I’ll still keep driving it when we get our new Explorer next year.
I have rank and seniority on my side for squad choice. Lol.

TOTS
12-30-2023, 08:01 AM
Bringing this one back up to the top. Its shock time for my ’18 and in doing my PF research, I saw the recommended Bilstein 5100s. Looking for the appropriate deals on the tuner sites, I came across a great deal for the next step up, the 6112s. Stage 3 has a setup including the rear shocks for only $25 over the front coil over set. Free shipping as well.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/s3m-bil6112s1-15-20-f150-4wd-bilstein-6112-stage-1-package.html

I’ll submit the appropriate pictures when completed.

LittleLebowski
12-30-2023, 10:17 AM
Bringing this one back up to the top. Its shock time for my ’18 and in doing my PF research, I saw the recommended Bilstein 5100s. Looking for the appropriate deals on the tuner sites, I came across a great deal for the next step up, the 6112s. Stage 3 has a setup including the rear shocks for only $25 over the front coil over set. Free shipping as well.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/s3m-bil6112s1-15-20-f150-4wd-bilstein-6112-stage-1-package.html

I’ll submit the appropriate pictures when completed.

Speaking as a Raptor owner, shock upgrades are wonderful. One of the best parts about my Raptor is the ride.

MVS
12-30-2023, 10:26 AM
133,000 on my 2017 3.5 Ecoboost now. No engine problems as of yet but I fear that may be over. A couple of nights ago my daughter hit a deer with it and besides the body damage it was spraying coolant all over. It should be repairable but I have seen too many times ongoing problems after something like this.

TOTS
12-31-2023, 12:19 PM
Speaking as a Raptor owner, shock upgrades are wonderful. One of the best parts about my Raptor is the ride.

That makes me glad to hear. The reason for my 6112 coilover upgrade (I took advantage of the deal) is a want to step up to a Raptor, or even moreso, a Tremor (unsure why the Tremors do it for me more than the Raptors). The one-two punch of obscene truck prices and going house-poor on building a new house is making me go against my instincts and keep my 18 FX4 instead of trading it in on a Tremor. Additionally, I drive 60-100 miles per week so a highway truck is more important than off road.

Love your truck btw.

Rick R
12-31-2023, 10:09 PM
Hello, my name is Rick and I’m a Ford F150 owner.

I just traded off my 2011 Toyota quadcab Tacoma for a 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab with the 2.7ltr Ecoboost engine.
I’m looking forward to reading the exploits of my fellow Ecoboosters.

Hey! It’s fun driving a vehicle that’s not a dozen+ years old with 280,000 miles.

LittleLebowski
01-03-2024, 10:01 AM
That makes me glad to hear. The reason for my 6112 coilover upgrade (I took advantage of the deal) is a want to step up to a Raptor, or even moreso, a Tremor (unsure why the Tremors do it for me more than the Raptors). The one-two punch of obscene truck prices and going house-poor on building a new house is making me go against my instincts and keep my 18 FX4 instead of trading it in on a Tremor. Additionally, I drive 60-100 miles per week so a highway truck is more important than off road.

Love your truck btw.

Thanks man, never going back to anything else :D

LittleLebowski
01-05-2024, 10:17 AM
Hello, my name is Rick and I’m a Ford F150 owner.

I just traded off my 2011 Toyota quadcab Tacoma for a 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab with the 2.7ltr Ecoboost engine.
I’m looking forward to reading the exploits of my fellow Ecoboosters.

Hey! It’s fun driving a vehicle that’s not a dozen+ years old with 280,000 miles.

Solid, solid choice.

TOTS
02-12-2024, 09:57 PM
I’m going to also post this in the Trucks thread as well for ease of research for anyone interested. Very helpful when wading through the pool of Fords engines. I have seen a couple of this guys videos and have been impressed with his knowledge of F150s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SXNYpP8swmo

Navin Johnson
02-13-2024, 12:01 AM
The diesel is no longer in production

Heavy engine tear down guy at local dealership who is an acquaintance said 5.0 unless lots of towing…. then the increased cost and potential problems is worth the 3.5EB.

If one is only leasing or keeps vehicles for short term, whatever motor one gets is probably irrelevant. The 3.5 EB has good resale generally speaking and the newer ones seem to be better. The 2.7 EB was good and now the newer ones of those seem to be having problems.

Maintenance and driving style/habits probably have more to do with the long-term durability than anything.

The power boost hybrid is not designed for towing, despite what they might tell you. Towing your boat a couple times a year is not gonna hurt it.

Towing a trailer multi days a week or month probably need an F250. (for the duty cycle motor.)