PDA

View Full Version : New(-ish) DB Interview

Guerrero
12-08-2020, 02:32 PM
Our own Darryl Bolke ("DB"/ Dagga Boy ) was recently on a podcast interviewed by Mark Twight. It's three hours of pure DB.

https://www.nonprophet.media/nonprophet-podcast/2020/10/28/ep-141-darryl-bolke

WobblyPossum
12-08-2020, 02:59 PM
I listened to that a few weeks ago and greatly enjoyed it. I do wish they touched on the history of the THUG a bit more.

Casual Friday
12-08-2020, 07:13 PM
He does really well on long form interviews like this and the P&S modcasts. I wish he did more of them.

WDR
12-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Not all of the podcasts at nonprophet are gun related... but some of them are still interesting.

Balisong
12-09-2020, 01:10 AM
I couldn't find a way on that site, but is there a way to download that podcast for offline listening? I caught a little bit of it during some downtime at work. I'd like to listen to the rest on my drives to and from work but don't have unlimited data.

Guerrero
12-09-2020, 11:19 AM
I couldn't find a way on that site, but is there a way to download that podcast for offline listening? I caught a little bit of it during some downtime at work. I'd like to listen to the rest on my drives to and from work but don't have unlimited data.

PM sent.

Jeff22
12-09-2020, 08:37 PM
“Pick gear that’s appropriate for your world.”

ccmdfd
12-09-2020, 08:57 PM
Took me a couple of days to get through it all as the only time I could listen to it was on the commute to and from work.

I was quite impressed when he got to the part about how if the problem we are having is a bunch of bad cops, instead of defunding and cutting their money, how about increasing the money, and hiring the best and the brightest. Also training them well and having good retention policies. With a corollary of how the people who are making all of these declarations are paying tons of money themselves for top-notch protection.

I haven't really heard that argument out in the populace. Would love to see it gain some more traction.

Erick Gelhaus
12-09-2020, 11:00 PM
Yeah, DB did ok with that interview.

45dotACP
12-09-2020, 11:27 PM
His explanation for why cops don't train BJJ is one that I've heard from a cop I train with who just got his BJJ black belt.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Jeff22
12-10-2020, 03:13 PM
Another issue that makes cops hesitant to do much martial arts training off duty is that if they get injured it isn’t covered by worker’s comp. if you’re doing BJJ or MMA and suffer a career ending injury, there is no disability retirement to fall back on because you weren’t on duty.

Jeff22
12-10-2020, 03:17 PM
I thought D.B.’s discussion of shooting at “assessment speed” — don’t shoot faster than you can stop - was very interesting. Speed is an important component of defensive shooting, but I’m not sure that worrying too much about two tenths of a second is that significant unless you are a very high level competitive shooter.

Erick Gelhaus
12-10-2020, 10:02 PM
I thought D.B.’s discussion of shooting at “assessment speed” — don’t shoot faster than you can stop - was very interesting. Speed is an important component of defensive shooting, but I’m not sure that worrying too much about two tenths of a second is that significant unless you are a very high level competitive shooter.

Fwiw, where we're putting emphasis on speed might be part of the problem. Picking up problems 2-4 seconds faster, the stuff from Murphy & others, might well matter a lot more than the time frame between problem-solving projectiles being launched. DB, and Dobbs & others, have been talking about assessment speed for quite a while. A good friend of mine, & a member here, recently took a class from an instructor who is retired Army - that instructor was talking assessment speed as well.

Rex G
12-11-2020, 12:40 AM
Sadly, body-worn video cameras now record almost everything, so, for many LEOs, using an unapproved technique, learned during one’s own time, on one’s own dime, can result in punishment.

feudist
12-11-2020, 04:41 AM
Sadly, body-worn video cameras now record almost everything, so, for many LEOs, using an unapproved technique, learned during one’s own time, on one’s own dime, can result in punishment.

Yep. Lot's of martial arts enthusiasts just won't hear that.

"Damn the rules! It's your life on the line" Well, yeah. Except I'll use force hundreds of times over a career and deviations from approved techniques will end

the career or opportunities or promotions.

In the current climate you could expect using an unauthorized technique to result in an assault charge.

Assault under color of law. Sounds like a politically inclined prosecutors wet dream.

Erick Gelhaus
12-11-2020, 08:34 AM

Rex - Can you point me to an example of that please? I'd be interested in researching what all happened in the event, including what the org taught and what the cop did. Thanks.

Rex G
12-11-2020, 11:11 AM
Rex - Can you point me to an example of that please? I'd be interested in researching what all happened in the event, including what the org taught and what the cop did. Thanks.

I do not have an example of an incident resulting in discipline. I retired not long after issued cameras BWCs became department-wide, so, word-of-mouth accounts of folks being disciplined were few, at that point. I did feel that it was necessary to stop doing a specific thing (leverage, not striking) with my hardwood baton, to get an arrestee’s hands/forearms from between his body and the ground, in that classic scenario of “passively” resisting by keeping his hands under his prone body. I was only trained to perform specific strikes, and the training stressed that we were to use batons ONLY for those strikes. Plus, policy had evolved to state that we had to document each strike, and its type, in the use-of-force documentation.

I also realized that I could NEVER use a collapsed-baton technique acquired from a SouthNarc photo-series tutorial, to hook a resister’s neck, in a way that my ulna bone and the baton form a hook. (Visualize holding the baton, in its collapsed state, as if it were a knife held Reverse-grip, Edge-In.) I had not actually used this one “live” on the street, but had come close, a few times, especially when running to aid a fellow officer, so as not to unintentionally strike the officer. It is one thing to say that, oops, I mistakenly/unintentionally hooked that neck, when it just happened to suddenly appear in the path of my arm, and another thing when a BWC shows evidence of intent.

It is not that BWCs caused me to retire, as there were already plenty of straws on this camel’s back. The biggest straws were a blue-wave DA, elected in 2016, some of my body parts not aging well, and exhaustion after the colossal mess of Hurricane Harvey.

Rex G
12-11-2020, 11:20 AM

Empty-hand BJJ techniques might well pass under the radar of an office-bound supervisor viewing UOF videos. So very little empty-hand techniques were taught, department-wide, we tended to solve problems by dog-piling and improvising, winning by force of numbers. Of course, fights went on far too long, that way, and folks got hurt.

John Hearne
12-12-2020, 04:50 PM

It's an older video now but there is a cops episode with LVMPD. The black sergeant confronts an impaired white dude in a McDonald's parking lot. When it's time to use force, the sergeant delivers a yoke strike which drops the turd. I've heard from several folks that the sergeant faced discipline for use of an unauthorized strike.

lwt16
12-12-2020, 04:58 PM
It's an older video now but there is a cops episode with LVMPD. The black sergeant confronts an impaired white dude in a McDonald's parking lot. When it's time to use force, the sergeant delivers a yoke strike which drops the turd. I've heard from several folks that the sergeant faced discipline for use of an unauthorized strike.

https://youtu.be/gU6srWXxTww

feudist
12-13-2020, 01:45 AM

Yeah, but it was a thing of rare beauty and preserved for eternity like an amber trapped fly...