PDA

View Full Version : Handstop Placement

jstyer
06-26-2012, 08:21 PM
So I just mounted a handstop in front of my VFG...

I modified a Larue handstop so that I could mount it directly on my DD Modular Rail in front of a chopped down magpul VFG, and I've found that it provides me with a quick reference point when getting back on the gun after an emergency reload, or when coming from high port.

Also, it gives me something to push against when utilizing a push-pull recoil control method.

Anybody else using a handstop in a non-conventional way?

Jay Cunningham
07-11-2012, 09:32 AM
That seems like a pretty conventional way to use a handstop. Really besides an index point, the only other use for them is on long rail, short barrel guns so that you don't accidentally blast your support hand.

Surf
07-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Went from a standard length VFG, to stubbies, to AFG's, then to my own cut down AFG set ups. Now I am back to nothing.

jstyer
07-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Currently I'm running the setup shown below (crappy cell pics)

http://img.tapatalk.com/4ac37a38-57c7-5c4c.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/4ac37a38-57d5-296e.jpg

Though I have the sneaking suspicion that I too am just slowly working back towards no forend device.

BWT
07-16-2012, 05:13 PM
I like my AR rail slick.

I actually mounted a 13'' VTAC Alpha Rail. (I wanted an Alpha VTAC Rail, but, I was unsure to go 11'' or 13'', it was actually input from Surf that led me to that purchase) I'm happy with it slick.

I do use the front sight blade as an index, (I run a fixed Troy Front sight) I'm going to get some magpul rail ladders for the top rail, so I can wrap my hand over the top of the rail comfortably, as well as protect it.

I next want to go after an SBR, and I don't know that I'm going to mount a rail, that being said. I'm definitely thinking about a handstop of some kind of handstop if I do have a rail, and I'd only go with the VTAC as this point.

ETA: Let me offer some words, find what works for you, what makes you happy, there's a lot of reasons people run stuff, and the legitimacy of those reasons, IMHO are to that person.

I just find a simpler rifle, works for me. I wouldn't have a folding rear BUIS if I had it to do over again. But... I didn't know.