PDA

View Full Version : Bad batch of CCI 9mm ammo?

MVS
12-07-2020, 06:20 PM
Some of you may have already seen this when I posted it on the Rangemaster Instructor Forum. I went out yesterday with 10 magazines loaded with 10 rounds each to do a specific drill 5 times. The ammo I loaded was from a recent purchase of CCI/Speer 9mm 115 grain. Almost immediately I started having failure to extract type malfunctions. Tried a different gun, same thing, and another, same thing. Unloaded a couple of the mags and loaded the ammo into new Gen5 mags. Same thing. Then I loaded up some of my usual preferred Match/range ammo AE 147 grain and they ran just fine.

Unfortunately I have 3 cases of this stuff. Don't know yet if it is all bad. I am going to take some of the rounds to a guy at work and have him chrono them. Shooting the 147 AE right after the Blazer felt like +P+ vs. powder puff loads. It sucks bad enough having to spend so much more on ammo, then to have it be junk on top of it. I will be contacting CCI/Speer but in the present climate I am not expecting much.

Since someone will probably ask, guns used were;
Gen5 G45 with SRO, bone stock
Gen5 G19 with 507k, 3.5 connector, otherwise stock
Gen4 G17 with upgraded irons and 3.5 connector.

blues
12-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Some of you may have already seen this when I posted it on the Rangemaster Instructor Forum. I went out yesterday with 10 magazines loaded with 10 rounds each to do a specific drill 5 times. The ammo I loaded was from a recent purchase of CCI/Speer 9mm 115 grain. Almost immediately I started having failure to extract type malfunctions. Tried a different gun, same thing, and another, same thing. Unloaded a couple of the mags and loaded the ammo into new Gen5 mags. Same thing. Then I loaded up some of my usual preferred Match/range ammo AE 147 grain and they ran just fine.

Unfortunately I have 3 cases of this stuff. Don't know yet if it is all bad. I am going to take some of the rounds to a guy at work and have him chrono them. Shooting the 147 AE right after the Blazer felt like +P+ vs. powder puff loads. It sucks bad enough having to spend so much more on ammo, then to have it be junk on top of it. I will be contacting CCI/Speer but in the present climate I am not expecting much.

I'm sure it's unrelated given the time, but I had sent a Gen2 Glock 19 back to the mother ship for some service and warranty updates a couple, three years back. (The frame was replaced with a Gen3.)

When it was returned I had the same sorts of failures with the gun with Blazer 115gr 9mm FMJ. I called Glock and asked them what they did to my gun which had been completely reliable previously. Naturally, they recommended trying different ammo.

Next day I tried several other varieties of ammo from 115 gr to 124 gr and 147 gr all without issue. I was never much of a Blazer fan before the incident, less so now.

MVS
12-07-2020, 06:32 PM
I'm sure it's unrelated given the time, but I had sent a Gen2 Glock 19 back to the mother ship for some service and warranty updates a couple, three years back. (The frame was replaced with a Gen3.)

When it was returned I had the same sorts of failures with the gun with Blazer 115gr 9mm FMJ. I called Glock and asked them what they did to my gun which had been completely reliable previously. Naturally, they recommended trying different ammo.

Next day I tried several other varieties of ammo from 115 gr to 124 gr and 147 gr all without issue. I was never much of a Blazer fan before the incident, less so now.

Same here, normally I wouldn't buy it, but it was what was available at a decent price.

JBP55
12-07-2020, 07:12 PM
I try to stay with American Eagle which is made by Federal.
If AE is not available I purchase Lawman which is made by Speer.
I do not buy Blazer which is made by CCI.

Lester Polfus
12-07-2020, 07:24 PM
I bought a case of that stuff a few years a go. I have, shall we say "a few" Gen 3 Glock 19s. They are all bone stock except for skateboard tape and night sights. Over the course of 1K rounds, I experienced about a dozen failures to extract from multiple guns and magazines. For two of those Glock 19s, this was the only failure I've ever seen from that particular gun.

That's a much lower failure rate than you experienced, but I'd be inclined to point the finger at the ammo. Those guns have run S&B, GECO, etc without very few hiccups.

I think I remember looking at some of the cases and the extracted groove seemed both shallow and inconsistent, but I've slept a few times since then.

JSGlock34
12-07-2020, 10:00 PM
I had similar experience with the Blazer 115 grain 'Black Friday' Bulk Pack cases that CCI put out two years ago. A few duds, inconsistent loading, etc. I try to avoid Blazer when possible. Current conditions are challenging though.

Oldherkpilot
12-08-2020, 07:20 AM

Was the Blazer ammo brass cased or aluminum cased? I have had several instances where aluminum cased cartridges (both CCI and Federal in both 9mm and .40) won't extract properly while brass worked as advertised. This has occurred in CZ, Glock and HK pistols. It has certainly put me off aluminum. The CZ had quite a few miles on it, so I replaced the extractor and spring and had no further incidents. The Glock and HK were both relatively new pistols.

RJ
12-08-2020, 07:34 AM
I snagged a couple cases of BB CCI 124 recently. It was what I could find in brass from a brand I’d heard of. I’ve used it previously with no issues, but that was a few years ago. The one box I’ve tried so far seems to function ok in a G34 and a G48. I’d prefer Federal AE but you get what you can get these days.

rd62
12-08-2020, 08:44 AM
I've had good luck with Blazer Brass in my Gen 3 Glocks putting several cases of it through my guns over the last few years and a G19 in particular. This includes a couple of classes. No issues really.

I haven't really tried the aluminum cased stuff just the brass. I switched to AE and Lawman earlier this year though to try and get velocities and accuracy closer to my carry ammo.

Wayne Dobbs
12-08-2020, 10:40 AM
Given the geopolitical realities of today, I'd say you're stuck with that ammo. If CCI even answered your call/email I'd be shocked and replacing it would be a near miracle. I'm certain that subpar ammo will become the order of the day, as manufacturers try to produce ammo much faster than their QC programs can perform.

the Schwartz
12-08-2020, 06:56 PM
I've had good luck with Blazer Brass in my Gen 3 Glocks putting several cases of it through my guns over the last few years and a G19 in particular. This includes a couple of classes. No issues really.

I haven't really tried the aluminum cased stuff just the brass. I switched to AE and Lawman earlier this year though to try and get velocities and accuracy closer to my carry ammo.

My experience matches yours with the 115- and 124-grain Blazer Brass being satisfactory every time I've had occasion to use it. It seems to be loaded considerably hotter than the aluminum-cased stuff with reliable cycling and ejection.

I've used the aluminum-cased Blazer ammunition only once, had to have been better than 30 years ago and my memory is that it was loaded very anemicly and caused problems with the gun that it was used in. I guess that some things never change.

JSGlock34
12-08-2020, 07:30 PM
It will be interesting to watch how the supply chain disruptions affects brand quality. I've already heard stories about manufacturers seeking imported primers from wherever possible, as their own normal sources of components cannot meet demand.

MVS
12-08-2020, 09:31 PM
Was the Blazer ammo brass cased or aluminum cased? I have had several instances where aluminum cased cartridges (both CCI and Federal in both 9mm and .40) won't extract properly while brass worked as advertised. This has occurred in CZ, Glock and HK pistols. It has certainly put me off aluminum. The CZ had quite a few miles on it, so I replaced the extractor and spring and had no further incidents. The Glock and HK were both relatively new pistols.

Brass. I completely forgot they had aluminum.

Wayne Dobbs
12-09-2020, 10:48 AM
My experience matches yours with the 115- and 124-grain Blazer Brass being satisfactory every time I've had occasion to use it. It seems to be loaded considerably hotter than the aluminum-cased stuff with reliable cycling and ejection.

I've used the aluminum-cased Blazer ammunition only once, had to have been better than 30 years ago and my memory is that it was loaded very anemicly and caused problems with the gun that it was used in. I guess that some things never change.

I haven't shot any Blazer 115 in several years, but in the late 90s and early 2000s, I used to buy the aluminum case 115 load for $3.99/50 (or $3.67/50 on sale) at Academy. I'd buy a case a month at least and get questions about why I needed "so many bullets" from clerks, who were shocked that a case was a month's requirement of training ammo for me.

As for quality of that load, my chrono testing showed its average velocity was 1167 fps, extreme spread was 30 fps and standard deviation was about 8 fps. It was super consistent and would stay in 1.5" from good pistols. I wish I had maxed a credit card on a bunch!

SecondsCount
12-09-2020, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't consider switching between a 115 grain load and a 147 grain load to be a good test. Do you have access to some other 115 grain ammo to test?

Crazy Dane
12-09-2020, 02:46 PM
I don't think it is just a recent issue with Blazer 115s. Last year I had trouble shooting that stuff in my P365 and and 92F with several FT extract and/or eject. Runs fine and clean in my 1911 and LCR.

MVS
12-09-2020, 07:15 PM
9 rounds out of a G17, average velocity 1032 fps. Extreme spread 63, standard deviation 21.

MVS
12-09-2020, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't consider switching between a 115 grain load and a 147 grain load to be a good test. Do you have access to some other 115 grain ammo to test?

Two of these guns are seasoned and I have shot everything out of them including steel case with no problems. The latest 115 grain offering was PMC and was gtg.

the Schwartz
12-09-2020, 07:28 PM
I haven't shot any Blazer 115 in several years, but in the late 90s and early 2000s, I used to buy the aluminum case 115 load for $3.99/50 (or $3.67/50 on sale) at Academy. I'd buy a case a month at least and get questions about why I needed "so many bullets" from clerks, who were shocked that a case was a month's requirement of training ammo for me.

As for quality of that load, my chrono testing showed its average velocity was 1167 fps, extreme spread was 30 fps and standard deviation was about 8 fps. It was super consistent and would stay in 1.5" from good pistols. I wish I had maxed a credit card on a bunch!

Those prices—and I do recall them being in that range—seem surreal these days, don't they?

Call me a pessimist, or maybe even a cynic, but I think that prices like that are gone forever. :(

The best that I've seen ''pre-COVID'' was a deal I got on three cases of 115-grain Lawman at the LGS just outside of town with a store weekend ''special'' coupon that brought the cost to $127/K.

Lately, I've been running some Fiocchi 115-grain FMJs that I got a couple of years ago at $179/K. They're pretty 'warm' giving me about 1,260 fps out of the G17 and 1,290-ish outta the 17L. I've got enough of those for my next class and then some before I get down to my FederalAE stash which is, shall we say.....''adequate''. ;)

spence
12-11-2020, 12:29 AM
Those prices—and I do recall them being in that range—seem surreal these days, don't they?

Call me a pessimist, or maybe even a cynic, but I think that prices like that are gone forever. :(

The best that I've seen ''pre-COVID'' was a deal I got on three cases of 115-grain Lawman at the LGS just outside of town with a store weekend ''special'' coupon that brought the cost to $127/K.

Lately, I've been running some Fiocchi 115-grain FMJs that I got a couple of years ago at $179/K. They're pretty 'warm' giving me about 1,260 fps out of the G17 and 1,290-ish outta the 17L. I've got enough of those for my next class and then some before I get down to my FederalAE stash which is, shall we say.....''adequate''. ;)

I made the grand switch from .40/.45 two years ago, and previously only had a single KT P11 prior to that. Had maybe 300 rounds of 9mm, AE 115 gr from Sportman's Warehouse. Marked 9.99, and bought it in 2007. I'd bought a bunch of ammo while still overseas from Natchez early that year, and seem to remember 9 (most likely Blazer Brass) being somewhere between $16 and $18 per 100 shipped. .40 was $21.50, and .45 was $26. Precovid, the magic number on 9mm was 180ish/case.

I haven't shot much Blazer these last couple years, but in my M9, the 92 compact I had, and the LTT I run now, I had consistent failures to extract with Federal "black pack" ammo, Blazer Brass, and the Browning branded ammo. Just those three, and it was consistent in all three guns. Put in WC extra power extractor springs and haven't had any issues since. From a chronograph standpoint, they all generally had a little more oomph than the Champion stuff, and I've never had an issue with it.

revchuck38
12-11-2020, 08:43 AM
FWIW, I went through a 500-round box of Federal "Black Pack" and while it shot like doo-doo, it ran fine in my PX4s. I mostly run my handloads with 124s at about 1100 fps and those cases and range pickup Blazer Brass cases have caused no problems in my PX4s and Walther P99Cs. It might be because my loads are hotter than the anemic factory Blazer.

WDR
12-11-2020, 11:00 AM
9 rounds out of a G17, average velocity 1032 fps. Extreme spread 63, standard deviation 21.

For 115gr ammo, that is "anemic" for sure... 115gr ball should be going 1100-1200fps. For comparison, RA9T (147gr) clocks around 950 fps from my Glock 19. WWB is usually around 1150.

In the past, many moons ago, I often bought the aluminum cased CCI Blazer ammo for practice, and it always felt hotter than WWB or the Federal AE. Back then, I didn't have a chronograph, so that is a "seat of the pants" feeling ( not data). I did try some Blazer Brass a few years later, and it didn't feel as warm.

My personal feeling, is that CCI/Speer and Federal coming together, and sometimes mixing production/equipment has lead to some inconsistencies in traditionally "good" ammo. (IE: reports of issues with newer 147gr HST, which appears in plastic trays and with primer sealant that both look like CCI/Speer products, for example)

MVS
12-11-2020, 11:22 AM
So my coworker who ran it through the chrono for me said it ran fine for him in his gamer Glock with 13# recoil spring. Although he said he did notice erratic ejection which is why it was 9 shots instead of the 10 I gave him. Apparently one of the cases hit his chrono.

So I guess if I want to run this ammo I am going to need to temporarily swap in a lighter recoil spring.

Archer1440
12-28-2020, 01:54 AM
I’ve gone through 2000 rounds of 115 Blazer Brass (including 1000 rounds of “CCI training ammo” in white boxes- with BB stamps) since September, with not one issue or malfunction of any kind. Most of it was purchased in late August and early September. Some of it was used to effectively engage targets at well over 100 yards (Gunsite class).

Data point of one, for what’s that worth, but there you have it.