PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer P229DAK Trigger Pull

Elmo Draker
06-26-2012, 04:08 PM
My brand new Sig P229DAK has a trigger pull that feels heavier, at the long reset, than the specified 6.5 lbs. What can be done to bring it closer to spec? I'd prefer not to send it back to Sig if I can help it. Thanks.

ToddG
06-26-2012, 04:14 PM
How are you measuring it?

Elmo Draker
06-26-2012, 05:30 PM
How are you measuring it?

Unfortunately, I don't have a gauge. I am comparing it to my P239DAK which is rated at 7.0 lbs. The P229 is more difficult to pull than the P239. My P239 is about 1000 rounds older but I don't remember it as having a heavier trigger pull when it was new.

ToddG
06-26-2012, 05:44 PM
If it's significantly heavier, first be sure it's DAK and not DAO. Does it have two distinct reset points when letting the trigger back forward?

Elmo Draker
06-26-2012, 06:19 PM
If it's significantly heavier, first be sure it's DAK and not DAO. Does it have two distinct reset points when letting the trigger back forward?

Yes, it has also has a shorter heavier reset point. In doing more research, I found some threads in other forums that talk about the P229 DAK as having trouble igniting non-toxic primers in the past. This evidently prompted Sig to increase the mainspring force. And while they still claim 6.5 in their specs, it is actually higher than that.

ToddG
06-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Yes, but that was years ago. The difference was less than a pound added to the trigger press.

What it really boils down to is whether you're feeling a significant difference (many pounds) or you're just estimating with a small difference. Given the different geometry between the P229 and P239, a subjective evaluation between the two probably isn't accurate within a pound or so.

Without seeing and handling the gun, it's hard to assess beyond that.

Elmo Draker
06-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Yes, but that was years ago. The difference was less than a pound added to the trigger press.

What it really boils down to is whether you're feeling a significant difference (many pounds) or you're just estimating with a small difference. Given the different geometry between the P229 and P239, a subjective evaluation between the two probably isn't accurate within a pound or so.

Without seeing and handling the gun, it's hard to assess beyond that.

That's right, the difference in trigger pull weight between my two DAK's is not significant but noticeable. It is certainly within a pound to a pound and a half at most. I was wondering if there is a way to reduce the trigger pull on the P229DAK by changing to a slightly weaker mainspring and yet get reliable primer ignition.

ToddG
06-26-2012, 08:14 PM
First, I'd get a trigger gauge and measure. Possibly your P239 is just well worn, well lubricated, and/or lower than standard.

Second, unless you want to compromise firing pin indent, I'd stick with the stock springs. If you know how to detail strip the gun, some grease such as TW-25B applied liberally to the friction points of the action has amazing effects in terms of both smoothing and lightening the trigger pull.

Elmo Draker
06-26-2012, 09:09 PM
First, I'd get a trigger gauge and measure. Possibly your P239 is just well worn, well lubricated, and/or lower than standard.

Second, unless you want to compromise firing pin indent, I'd stick with the stock springs. If you know how to detail strip the gun, some grease such as TW-25B applied liberally to the friction points of the action has amazing effects in terms of both smoothing and lightening the trigger pull.

OK, I'll try all that first. A trigger weight gauge shouldn't set me back by too much. I've never detail stripped a gun but now's as good a time as any to learn. There are many videos available on the internet to help me.

ToddG, thanks a bunch for providing information and advice.