PDA

View Full Version : If a person wanted to try a P250 in 2021...

HeavyDuty
12-04-2020, 08:49 PM
... what would this theoretical person look for? My understanding is that there were a lot of inline product improvements, and that by the end they were actually pretty decent guns.

HCM
12-04-2020, 08:53 PM
... what would this theoretical person look for? My understanding is that there were a lot of inline product improvements, and that by the end they were actually pretty decent guns.

Do some google image searches on P250 gen 1 vs gen 2

TheNewbie
12-04-2020, 08:59 PM

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/12/10/significant-changes-to-sig-p250-compact/

dogcaller
12-04-2020, 09:05 PM
I can't speak to the differences between iterations. I do know they don't get much love here. I have one that has provided "boring Sig reliability" to paraphrase an old Jan Libourel line from G&A.

I was very anti DAO back in the 90s when it became a thing. I purchased my 250 to use as a trainer, primarily. It has the best DA stroke one could hope for. Smooooth and relatively light, if long. I sometimes use it with new shooters.

When I took my 16-year old son to his first real (4-day) pistol class, I required him to use the P250, so he would learn the fundamentals. I had purchased a G17 for him as a gift, but I wouldn't let him have it until he could do 10 headshots, on-demand, at 10 yds with the 250.

He did well in the class, and, after returning we went to our local range and he was successful in his headshots. I then let him run the same drills with my G34. The look on his face was priceless. Jaw dropped, looking both amused and betrayed he looked at me and exclaimed--"You're a cheater!. This is a cheater gun! LOL! He wasn't wrong.

HeavyDuty
12-04-2020, 09:06 PM
Good info - I didn’t realize the cosmetic changes were so clear cut, I figured they would be all internal. That was a pretty radical cosmetic redesign...

Was the FCU improved? Given the mix and match nature of the series, could an older (possibly problematic?) FCU be put into a new grip frame?

I’m not sure what was mechanically changed, but have heard numerous times that early ones had reliability issues.

HeavyDuty
12-04-2020, 09:08 PM
I can't speak to the differences between iterations. I do know they don't get much love here. I have one that has provided "boring Sig reliability" to paraphrase an old Jan Libourel line from G&A.

I was very anti DAO back in the 90s when it became a thing. I purchased my 250 to use as a trainer, primarily. It has the best DA stroke one could hope for. Smooooth and relatively light, if long. I sometimes use it with new shooters.

When I took my 16-year old son to his first real (4-day) pistol class, I required him to use the P250, so he would learn the fundamentals. I had purchased a G17 for him as a gift, but I wouldn't let him have it until he could do 10 headshots, on-demand, at 10 yds with the 250.

He did well in the class, and, after returning we went to our local range and he was successful in his headshots. I then let him run the same drills with my G34. The look on his face was priceless. Jaw dropped, looking both amused and betrayed he looked at me and exclaimed--"You're a cheater!. This is a cheater gun! LOL! He wasn't wrong.

This is my use case, if I go this way - as a trainer for a few new shooters.

OlongJohnson
12-04-2020, 11:04 PM
Was the FCU improved? Given the mix and match nature of the series, could an older (possibly problematic?) FCU be put into a new grip frame?

My understanding is the grip modules and magazines both changed and cannot be mixed and matched with the new versions, but I don't know if anything changed in the FCU and slide. If nothing, it should be possible to upgrade old guns by swapping grips and mags, but I've never seen discussion about doing that. Would be a cheap way to go, if it worked. Like you, all the discussion I've seen is based on how to recognize the difference by the cosmetics of the grip module, but info it pretty thin beyond that.

I'm kinda wishing I'd picked up a pair of 9mm compacts when everything was cheap a year ago.

Dog Guy
12-04-2020, 11:23 PM
I had a 1st generation full size. This was unfortunately at the time when the P250 was getting roundly trashed by pretty much anyone who did hard trials with the gun. Mine was a poster child for why you don't buy a P250. I sold it with full disclosure and went G19.
After a nerve injury made me want to go back to a long DA style trigger pull, I started seeing some solid SMEs here and elsewhere saying that Sig had fixed the issues and made it a pretty good gun, but it was too late to save the line in the eyes of LE and Mil. I snagged both a compact and a subcompact. I am buy no means a pistolero are a high round count user, but I've had no problems of any kind with either of mine. None of the odd problems I had with the first one. I learned on revolvers (Ruger Service Six) so the trigger was nothing new. I find it very smooth.
The downside now is aftermarket options for rear sights, or red dot mounts, are pretty tough to come by. The slide is milled for the hammer travel, so things that work with the P320 usually don't work for the P250.

EricM
12-05-2020, 02:36 AM
I would steer well clear of Gen 1 P250s as a whole. I had a Gen 1 9mm Compact that the previous owner had sent back to Sig due to extraction issues if I recall correctly. I knew there was a risk but the price was good and he said it ran fine since getting it back...of course, I ended up having problems. I liked the trigger and the modularity though and found a good deal on full-size and subcompact Gen 2 exchange kits (slide and frame). To my surprise though my Gen 1 FCU did not work...I dug up an old email I sent to the seller: "Found something interesting, apparently Sig changed the takedown lever on the P250 since the early old-style P250c I own. The old-style lever doesn't fit flush on the right side of the newer grip frames, and the offset prevents the guide rod from fitting into place. I ordered a new-style takedown lever and look forward to getting things to the range once that arrives." Should've taken the seller up on his offer to return them, as it turned out the shop was unable to fulfill my order for the takedown lever, and none were available from Sig at the time either. That was 10 years ago, I have no idea what availability might be like now or if it uses the same part as the P320. But in any case based on my experience I wouldn't try to mix generations.

HeavyDuty
12-05-2020, 07:42 AM
I would steer well clear of Gen 1 P250s as a whole. I had a Gen 1 9mm Compact that the previous owner had sent back to Sig due to extraction issues if I recall correctly. I knew there was a risk but the price was good and he said it ran fine since getting it back...of course, I ended up having problems. I liked the trigger and the modularity though and found a good deal on full-size and subcompact Gen 2 exchange kits (slide and frame). To my surprise though my Gen 1 FCU did not work...I dug up an old email I sent to the seller: "Found something interesting, apparently Sig changed the takedown lever on the P250 since the early old-style P250c I own. The old-style lever doesn't fit flush on the right side of the newer grip frames, and the offset prevents the guide rod from fitting into place. I ordered a new-style takedown lever and look forward to getting things to the range once that arrives." Should've taken the seller up on his offer to return them, as it turned out the shop was unable to fulfill my order for the takedown lever, and none were available from Sig at the time either. That was 10 years ago, I have no idea what availability might be like now or if it uses the same part as the P320. But in any case based on my experience I wouldn't try to mix generations.

Good info, thanks! Based on your experience it sounds unlikely that I’d run across any Frankenstein guns, then - if it has Gen 2 cosmetics it’s probably an original Gen 2. I’ll keep an eye out for a compact 9.

M2CattleCo
12-05-2020, 12:42 PM
Sig = garbage.

Why bother?

john c
12-05-2020, 02:12 PM
I went through this thought process 4-5 years ago. I ended up with a Beretta 92D DAO. It was a better choice for me, considering the price of magazines. The limitations on the older 92D pistols (fixed front sight, often with dead trijicon night sights, and no rail) have been addressed with the recent 92D release. I’d go that direction, today.

The one difference that would lead me to a P250 is that I heard the triggers are more like 5.5-6 lbs, while the beretta is more like 8-9 lbs.

I’ve never seen a real live P250, so I don’t know if the trigger claims are true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeavyDuty
12-05-2020, 04:14 PM
Sig = garbage.

Why bother?

Nobody is allowed on your lawn, right?

HeavyDuty
12-05-2020, 04:16 PM
I went through this thought process 4-5 years ago. I ended up with a Beretta 92D DAO. It was a better choice for me, considering the price of magazines. The limitations on the older 92D pistols (fixed front sight, often with dead trijicon night sights, and no rail) have been addressed with the recent 92D release. I’d go that direction, today.

The one difference that would lead me to a P250 is that I heard the triggers are more like 5.5-6 lbs, while the beretta is more like 8-9 lbs.

I’ve never seen a real live P250, so I don’t know if the trigger claims are true.

A few of the people I’m thinking would be using this have smaller hands. I can’t comfortably handle a 92 (I can do it effectively, though - kinda like my late wife’s G21) so I don’t think one would be a good choice for them.

john c
12-05-2020, 05:01 PM
A few of the people I’m thinking would be using this have smaller hands. I can’t comfortably handle a 92 (I can do it effectively, though - kinda like my late wife’s G21) so I don’t think one would be a good choice for them.

I can't argue with that. However, the current 92D has the vertec frame, which helps (a little) with the trigger reach. Overall, I think the P250 with a small frame would be smaller, based on my experience owning a P320.

gc70
12-06-2020, 02:16 PM
My son bought the first P250 he could get his hands on when they were introduced. Like so many other original P250s, it quickly developed light hammer strikes that progressed to being totally unable to fire a round. The gun went back to SIG and was replaced and my son sold the replacement. SIG did not issue a statement about what was wrong with the first P250s, but I doubt the shape of the mag base and bottom of the grip frame had a lot to do with the loss of hammer force. At any rate, SIG fixed the problem and I have not heard about any significant problems with the second generation P250.

I bought a P320 shortly after they were introduced and it had a very sweet, short, light trigger. In fact, in my opinion the trigger was a bit too delicate for teaching new shooters. I bought a P250 for trigger training and dry-fire practice. Yes, the trigger stroke was long, but it was very smooth and about 6 pounds on my first P250 (hint, hint). Over time I found the P250 to be so comfortable, consistent, and reliable that I began using it as my nightstand gun (and still do).

As far as training, there is also an advantage to being able to use the same grip frame and the exact same firing mechanism to progress from .22LR through .380ACP, 9MM, .40S&W and .357SIG up to .45ACP.

jh9
12-06-2020, 02:16 PM

I had an early 250 and that seems about right. I never gauged it, but it was really, really light. Pretty smooth, too. I remember thinking that I would have to pay someone with benos name recognition a big sack of cash to get a S&W revolver there. It had extraction issues that required a trip back to sig. They seemingly fixed it, but I sold it with disclosure.

If I had it to do over again, I'd still sell it.

Outside of the 92D the only real analogue is a LEM HK with the light FPB spring. There's still some Colt-ish stacking that you notice if you're milking the trigger but it doesn't show up at speed. And it's an HK, as opposed to an out of production Sig that the factory may or may not service. I keep thinking I'll try the nickel sear spring or heavy trigger spring to see if it does anything about the stacking but never have gotten around to it.

EricM
12-06-2020, 05:27 PM
My P250 trigger was 6 lb 11 oz, measured with a digital Lyman gauge.

A PX4 Compact Type D might be another similar option, with the interchangeable backstraps it'd probably be better for small hands than a 92D. Soft shooting, too. Not sure if many were made in that configuration...I think you could just take the sear out of a regular one, though you'd still have the levers on the slide. Can't find the slip of paper with the DA pull weights from the Langdon PX4C's I once had but I think it was pretty similar to the P250.

While I see the appeal and simplicity of a light DA pull for introducing new shooters, as I think about it I wonder if a Glock 44 might be a better option overall, with the easy transition to the 19 for centerfire. Say someone starts on the P250 and loves it, then what? Not quite as easy for them to go buy their own, so then they have to shop around and/or learn a different platform. If the smaller hands belong to kids then that's a different situation, but I'm not sure kids would find even a light DA trigger easy to manage compared to say a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 (which also has a pretty slim grip).

Whatever you end up with, hope it works out well for you and the folks you work with!

Chuck Whitlock
12-07-2020, 10:23 PM
I have two P250c's in 9mm. One is my duty gun, and one is a trainer, both with the small grip frame. Naturally, shortly after my adoption, Sig got the .mil contract and dropped the 250 to focus on 320 production....story of my life.

The good is that the 250 shares a lot of parts with the 320...grip modules, magazines, barrels.....there are obvious differences in slides and FCU's with the SFA v. hammer-fired systems. I see no reason why the Wilson modules wouldn't fit.

The bad is that proprietary parts and tools are drying up. I'd really like to find a couple of short-reach triggers for mine, but haven't found them available anywhere.

I'm leaning toward switching to a 1911 as a duty gun, but I'm not there yet.

I will say that folks who had been issued a legacy DAO P226 are amazed at the difference in triggers when they shoot my P250.

deputyG23
12-12-2020, 10:00 AM
I have two P250c's in 9mm. One is my duty gun, and one is a trainer, both with the small grip frame. Naturally, shortly after my adoption, Sig got the .mil contract and dropped the 250 to focus on 320 production....story of my life.

The good is that the 250 shares a lot of parts with the 320...grip modules, magazines, barrels.....there are obvious differences in slides and FCU's with the SFA v. hammer-fired systems. I see no reason why the Wilson modules wouldn't fit.

The bad is that proprietary parts and tools are drying up. I'd really like to find a couple of short-reach triggers for mine, but haven't found them available anywhere.

I'm leaning toward switching to a 1911 as a duty gun, but I'm not there yet.

I will say that folks who had been issued a legacy DAO P226 are amazed at the difference in triggers when they shoot my P250.
I picked up a first gen nickel slide 9mm compact a few years ago for a good price.
Got a 2nd gen small grip module, slide stop, and 2nd gen mag floor plates.
Ran about a K of mostly ball and two mags of Ranger T through it and no problems at all.
Trigger pull is, in my opinion, perfect for a defense firearm.
Too bad SIG didn’t do a successful rollout of this model.
I am searching locally for a reasonably priced second one.

Poconnor
12-12-2020, 11:58 AM
I wish I had gotten one in 22 LR and 380

TheNewbie
12-12-2020, 03:32 PM
I picked up a first gen nickel slide 9mm compact a few years ago for a good price.
Got a 2nd gen small grip module, slide stop, and 2nd gen mag floor plates.
Ran about a K of mostly ball and two mags of Ranger T through it and no problems at all.
Trigger pull is, in my opinion, perfect for a defense firearm.
Too bad SIG didn’t do a successful rollout of this model.
I am searching locally for a reasonably priced second one.

I think if the P250 could be made reliable, and it seems Sig finally made that happen, it would be a perfect general issue gun.

It’s shootable enough, has a hammer to thumb, and a long, but light and smooth, trigger. Makes dry fire practice simple to boot.

For more highly trained units, have other options such as Glock or the M&P.

TheNewbie
12-12-2020, 03:33 PM

Believe TGS has one in .380.

deputyG23
12-12-2020, 04:13 PM
I think if the P250 could be made reliable, and it seems Sig finally made that happen, it would be a perfect general issue gun.

It’s shootable enough, has a hammer to thumb, and a long, but light and smooth, trigger. Makes dry fire practice simple to boot.

For more highly trained units, have other options such as Glock or the M&P.

Agree with your points.
My work has a low percentage of shooters and they would probably be better served by a P250 with an exposed hammer and long trigger pull versus a striker fired pistol with a five to six pound short trigger pull and no hammer.
I would carry mine without hesitation.

TGS
12-12-2020, 05:23 PM

Believe TGS has one in .380.

Indeed, along with 10 mags and a holster. It's the Compact model.......so a Compact frame with a 15 round mag, but in the 380 version it features the Subcompact slide and the dustcover/light rail on the frame is snipped down to length.

It had light strikes at first, which were easily and definitively fixed. The FPS block was installed slightly sideways by the factory, so the firing pin would catch on it...in addition, the FP channel with slathered in packing grease by the factory.

Seems to be a good gun, I bought her for my wife as a CCW piece since her P226 is a tad big and heavy for a 5'9" framed 120lbs lady. With that said she decided to not pursue carrying and prefers to shoot her P226. I might hang on to it just because it's such a unique pistol: an insanely lightweight, duty-style 15 round build but in 380 and with a locked breech.

It's basically a unicorn.

My work has a low percentage of shooters and they would probably be better served by a P250 with an exposed hammer and long trigger pull versus a striker fired pistol with a five to six pound short trigger pull and no hammer.

100%.

Not to single out any particular profession in a degrading manner, but if I were in charge of an operation that used minimally-trained shooters such as security guards or correctional officers, I think it's the penultimate duty pistol.

Quite a fine pistol for higher performing shooters as well, and the trigger is definitely the best threat-management trigger on the market....far surpassing the DAK, LEM, and any old semi-auto DAO with the exception of a tuned Beretta 92. I'd be quite happy with the P250 9mm as a law enforcement duty pistol, provided we're in a vacuum and not subject to the whims of their absent QA/QC in real life.

OlongJohnson
12-12-2020, 08:01 PM

Have and like both. The .380 has been discussed as the ultimate old man/Grandma gun.

May pick up a pair of 9s if prices ever come back down.

TheNewbie
12-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Have and like both. The .380 has been discussed as the ultimate old man/Grandma gun.

May pick up a pair of 9s if prices ever come back down.

How reliable has your .380 been?

troydobe
12-12-2020, 08:30 PM

Ya I got a p250c-22 DAO that is my trainer for my px4cc DAO. Good match set.

Chuck Whitlock
12-14-2020, 11:57 AM
I would carry mine without hesitation.

100%.

Not to single out any particular profession in a degrading manner, but if I were in charge of an operation that used minimally-trained shooters such as security guards or correctional officers, I think it's the penultimate duty pistol.

Quite a fine pistol for higher performing shooters as well, and the trigger is definitely the best threat-management trigger on the market....far surpassing the DAK, LEM, and any old semi-auto DAO with the exception of a tuned Beretta 92. I'd be quite happy with the P250 9mm as a law enforcement duty pistol, provided we're in a vacuum and not subject to the whims of their absent QA/QC in real life.

I concur. Provided production and parts availability was current, I'd have compact barrels/slides, grip modules in both compact and carry, S/M/L, and a supply of 15 and 17 round magazines to choose from. Subcompact modules and magazines available for closer concealment applications, and Wilson modules authorized for those who wanted them.

I honestly think it would be a better issued weapon to non-shooters than a Glock or M&P.

fatdog
07-13-2022, 04:30 PM
Resurrecting an old thread with two questions for any P250 guru's. Did the first generation slides work on the improved second generation lowers with the better/improved FCU? Without difficulty?

Was the 2nd generation FCU compatible between both 9 and the 40/357 slides like the current P320's are?

thanks for any info

OlongJohnson
07-13-2022, 04:53 PM
I went through this thought process 4-5 years ago. I ended up with a Beretta 92D DAO. It was a better choice for me, considering the price of magazines.

This is a factor. I seem to be able to accumulate Mecgar mags for a 92 for about half the price I can figure out how to get P250/320 mags for.

The limitations on the older 92D pistols (fixed front sight, often with dead trijicon night sights, and no rail) have been addressed with the recent 92D release. I’d go that direction, today.

I was interested enough to start the thread on the latest D models, but the one I got turned me off due to a laughably crooked front sight dovetail. Sent it back to Bud's without transferring it, and haven't bothered to try another.

Resurrecting an old thread with two questions for any P250 guru's. Did the first generation slides work on the improved second generation lowers with the better/improved FCU? Without difficulty?

I've still never heard of anyone doing this.

Was the 2nd generation FCU compatible between both 9 and the 40/357 slides like the current P320's are?

Yes.

I'm not sure of the source, but I have the idea in my head that the FCU for .45 Auto is different than for all the others.

OlongJohnson
07-13-2022, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure of the source, but I have the idea in my head that the FCU for .45 Auto is different than for all the others.

Following up:

https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p320-fcu-45-vs-9-40-357-parts-differences.399980/#post-5691052

Just to be clear, in the P250, which is VERY similar in a lot of ways to the P320, the 45 magazines have to be forced into the 9/40/357 FCU and will not drop free. This is only because of the difference shown in the above picture.

There's additional discussion, but it appears with some parts swapping and possibly mods, the .45 FCU may be able to run as a 9/40/357. The ejector will be shorter, which could possibly affect ejection.

Chuck Whitlock
07-14-2022, 07:14 AM

thanks for any info

I have no experience with any first generation guns and therefore cannot comment on your first question.

There were conversion kits available for 9/40/.357, so I believe that they are able to mix and match. The .45 was different. The first time I ordered a small grip module, it came in for a .45 instead of 9/40/357. It was still on the shelf at that LGS last I looked.

Oldherkpilot
07-14-2022, 11:26 AM

I have a Gen 2 subcompact in 9mm and bought s .22 conversion kit for it. Then I foolishly bought a Gen 1 compact to put the conversion on as a full-time .22. Conversion would not slide on nor would the Gen 2 9mm slide. Can't claim this is a definitive answer to your question but my experience suggests NO. The Gen 1 went down the road, but I quite like the 9 SC and the .22 unit.

jd950
07-14-2022, 12:24 PM

thanks for any info

Not sure I am a guru, but...

Yes, the P250 FCU is interchangeable between .40 and 9mm, and also .45. I have interchanged them. (This is not true with the P320 FCU in .45.)

Yes the old slide will work fine on the 2nd gen FCU. I know this because I picked up a 1st gen slide and barrel once at a cheap price to experiment. I still have it. The slide catch notches are slightly different in size than on the new slides, but the gun functions fine.

Note: edited to add that although the FCU can be swapped between .45 and other calibers, the .45 requires a different grip module.

fatdog
07-14-2022, 12:36 PM
thanks guys, this helps

Coal Train
07-22-2022, 12:35 PM
Ran across this today and thought of this thread.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/415015466/used+sig+p250+9mm+45acp+compact

Matthew
07-22-2022, 03:16 PM
With the rear sight holding the firing pin, is there any way to mill the slide for an RMR?

Chuck Whitlock
07-22-2022, 10:10 PM
With the rear sight holding the firing pin, is there any way to mill the slide for an RMR?

I kind of doubt it. The inside of my 9mm slides have a (what I'm assuming to be) weight-reducing channel milled into them next to the pick up rail. I've not eyeballed any other calibers.

Dog Guy
07-25-2022, 11:42 AM
I kind of doubt it. The inside of my 9mm slides have a (what I'm assuming to be) weight-reducing channel milled into them next to the pick up rail. I've not eyeballed any other calibers.

That's my big issue with my gen 2 P250s: no way to add a red dot. Shooting safely and effectively for me (with my hand and finger issue) is a combination of vision, sights, and trigger. The P250 trigger fits my needs perfectly. With my 60-plus year old eyes, the vision and sight portion has become a limiting factor. Having shot a dot a few times on borrowed guns, the dot would solve the vision/sights issue. But I can't get the whole package together on the P250 platform.

I'm now working with my G19, using different combos of spring and connector. I might be able to go back to the G19 and add a dot but I need a ton of reps first to make sure I'm comfortable with it. I have no problem running my AR safely with an ACT trigger so I'm pretty sure I can work it out.