PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex Arms Holsters -- Love --- Hate???

TelumLabs
12-01-2020, 08:47 PM
I have a few different IWB holsters but have never tried a T-Rex IWB holster. What do people think, worth the price??

LittleLebowski
12-01-2020, 09:04 PM
I’ve only seen the sidecar monstrosity and it was absolute garbage compared to Tenicor, JM Custom, and Dark Star Gear AIWBs.

Trukinjp13
12-01-2020, 10:12 PM
I have had a ragnarock for a long time. Very thick and heavy duty. Works great with the x300 for a range holster. But is bulky and see no reason to buy a iwb from them. Too many high quality options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCS
12-02-2020, 11:55 AM
I tried the aiwb holster. Looked like I shoved the yellow pages down the front of my pants. I think it may work for some people but honestly I’d steer far away. Not to mention they don’t have any sort of a return policy. That alone makes me want to stay away. If you aren’t willing to stand behind your product I’m not interested.

TelumLabs
12-02-2020, 12:03 PM
Interesting, thanks! For how much business they did I figured they were well loved by all / an industry standard.

LittleLebowski
12-02-2020, 12:05 PM
Interesting, thanks! For how much business they did I figured they were well loved by all / an industry standard.

What's your preferred method of carry and carry weapon?

Clusterfrack
12-02-2020, 12:10 PM
Their battle belts are awesome. Holsters? Pass. I don’t like “cafeteria tray” style holsters in general. Try rolling on the mat or hiking with all that and let us know how you like it [emoji38].

HCM
12-02-2020, 01:31 PM

No. They make a few good products but mostly not.

Their AIWB Kydex is built ok but a horrible design.

As Clusterfrack mentioned their OWB duty style holster with no active retention is well made but serves no real purpose other than range theatrics.

The owner of Trex Arms is, shall we say, a divisive figure, in the shooting community. Definitely not "loved by all."

Trex Arms success is a product of social media marketing.

PNWTO
12-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Hear, hear. Definitely more time spent manipulating social media than making an experience-driven product line.

I saw two sidecars in use at a Defoor pistol/combative class and both students said they were shopping for new holsters as soon as class ended.

HCM
12-02-2020, 01:52 PM
Hear, hear. Definitely more time spent manipulating social media than making an experience-driven product line.

I saw two sidecars in use at a Defoor pistol/combative class and both students said they were shopping for new holsters as soon as class ended.

Manipulating.. like speeding up your videos to make you look faster ..... :rolleyes:

(Hint: If you suspect a shooting video was sped up look at the ejection of the brass).

Clusterfrack
12-02-2020, 03:03 PM
Manipulating.. like speeding up your videos to make you look faster ..... :rolleyes:

(Hint: If you suspect a shooting video was sped up look at the ejection of the brass).

HAHAHA!!! No shit? That’s pathetic.

MDFA
12-02-2020, 05:16 PM
I had a Sidecar. HAD being the operative word..... Sharp edges and not the best design. If you want that type of design and ease of on and off with an attached magazine pouch, then I would go with Tier 1 Concealment. They have designs which flex/bend between the holster and magazine.

NoTacTravis
12-02-2020, 05:54 PM
I had a Sidecar. HAD being the operative word..... Sharp edges and not the best design. If you want that type of design and ease of on and off with an attached magazine pouch, then I would go with Tier 1 Concealment. They have designs which flex/bend between the holster and magazine.

I tried a Tier 1 sidecar style when the newest version first came out. It had literally the worst finished edges of any of the dozen or so kydex holsters I've owned. Plus it concealed (for me) like I was smuggling hubcaps.

..I refuse to purchase or use products from TRex so I can't compare directly.

RJ
12-02-2020, 06:27 PM
I have a few different IWB holsters but have never tried a T-Rex IWB holster. What do people think, worth the price??

Never tried one to be honest.

What do you currently carry with?

TelumLabs
12-02-2020, 07:12 PM
What's your preferred method of carry and carry weapon?

I don't conceal carry often, being in California, but when I do its a Glock 19 or 26 with a Galco KT224B, depending on clothing I am usually around the 4 o'clock position. Love the holster just looking at other options and thinking about something with a light.

PNWTO
12-02-2020, 07:53 PM
I don't conceal carry often, being in California, but when I do its a Glock 19 or 26 with a Galco KT224B, depending on clothing I am usually around the 4 o'clock position. Love the holster just looking at other options and thinking about something with a light.

You should start your search with Dark Star Gear, JM Custom, and Tenicor.

It will probably end soon after.

LittleLebowski
12-02-2020, 08:47 PM
You should start your search with Dark Star Gear, JM Custom, and Tenicor.

It will probably end soon after.

This. Hang out here, we can help.

RJ
12-02-2020, 08:58 PM

JM CK has an IWB3 for a Glock with a light.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/Q-IWB3-LB-Glock-Nomad-Poly.html

I EDC a G48 in a JM CK IWB sans light. Only thing I added was a Melody Lauer ‘holster hack’ (Dr Scholls Women’s Gel Heel Pad).

LittleLebowski
12-02-2020, 09:02 PM
JM CK has an IWB3 for a Glock with a light.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/Q-IWB3-LB-Glock-Nomad-Poly.html

I EDC a G48 in a JM CK IWB sans light. Only thing I added was a Melody Lauer ‘holster hack’ (Dr Scholls Women’s Gel Heel Pad).

Is the sale still going on?

JAD
12-02-2020, 09:10 PM

The KingTuk is a copy (well executed) of a design popularized by CrossBreed holsters. They’re comfortable in the extreme but:
1) beware of the soft leather backing bending over under love handle pressure. This can interfere with the trigger* during holstering, causing loud noises and leaking people.
2) the width of the holster, which is part of why it’s comfortable, forces it to 4:00. That’s no shame — other holsters I love a lot, like the Sparks Versamax, do the same thing. Some of us have learned to prefer 3:00 and 1:00 carry. Reasons include being able to tell when your shirt’s riding up, not clunking when you sit in a chair, and having better control in a tussle. If you’re going to play with alternative holsters, think about a different position.

*I love glocks but critically they don’t give me anything to control, like a hammer or thumb safety, that I can block while holstering. Until recently, I just wouldn’t carry one; the possibility of an untucked t-shirt causing an AD was too much. Fortunately there is a product called the ‘SCD’ which resolves this issue. It’s the only aftermarket part other than sights I’ll put on a Glock, and I have installed one on each of the three I own.

https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/

RJ
12-02-2020, 09:19 PM

Sir I do not know.

HCountyGuy
12-02-2020, 09:49 PM
No. They make a few good products but mostly not.

Their AIWB Kydex is built ok but a horrible design.

As Clusterfrack mentioned their OWB duty style holster with no active retention is well made but serves no real purpose other than range theatrics.

The owner of Trex Arms is, shall we say, a divisive figure, in the shooting community. Definitely not "loved by all."

Oh yeah, Lucas Botkins is very much despised by more serious shooters. There was the homophobic snapchat post, his video speed-ups, his family being some level of cult (do a search for “Botkin Syndrome) and his refusal to do certain portions of shooting matches he’s participated in leading to a DQ.

Sub-par gear from a sub-par human from what I’ve been able to ascertain.

shootist26
12-02-2020, 10:38 PM
Oh yeah, Lucas Botkins is very much despised by more serious shooters. There was the homophobic snapchat post, his video speed-ups, his family being some level of cult (do a search for “Botkin Syndrome) and his refusal to do certain portions of shooting matches he’s participated in leading to a DQ.

Sub-par gear from a sub-par human from what I’ve been able to ascertain.

Smells like crazy fundamentalist cult!

AlwaysLearning
12-03-2020, 01:46 AM
his refusal to do certain portions of shooting matches he’s participated in leading to a DQ.

How on Earth does a person go to a match and just refuse to participate in certain stages?!

TGS
12-03-2020, 03:56 AM
Friends don't let friends buy holsters that fund the Christian version of ISIS.

HCountyGuy
12-03-2020, 09:26 AM
How on Earth does a person go to a match and just refuse to participate in certain stages?!

He supposedly showed up LARPer style (wearing plates and a helmet) to a 3-gun match and then refused to do anything requiring physical exertion like a dummy drag.

Here’s the results from that particular match:

https://practiscore.com/results/new/59850

LittleLebowski
12-03-2020, 12:08 PM
He supposedly showed up LARPer style (wearing plates and a helmet) to a 3-gun match and then refused to do anything requiring physical exertion like a dummy drag.

Here’s the results from that particular match:

https://practiscore.com/results/new/59850

To be fair, he looks like he weights about a buck ten.

Gio
12-03-2020, 03:14 PM
The gear doesn't seem awful, but as others have stated, the lack of a return policy or any customer support would make me steer clear.

Regarding Lucas, he seems like a shady character. Another interesting observation I've seen is him claiming "Law Enforcement" category at matches. See here:
https://practiscore.com/results/new/8ef90ca9-1287-49e5-98ad-80f7a691f739?q_individual=0
https://practiscore.com/results/new/c222174a-3cf0-44ba-b66b-d9e0563a658f?q_individual=0

He is classified and seems to perform at an A class level in matches, but due to "creative" video editing, he looks a lot faster on instagram. For the gun industry, this is apparently a low enough bar to secure law enforcement training contracts.

Default.mp3
12-03-2020, 03:30 PM
To be fair, he looks like he weights about a buck ten.Not sure I see the connection. Being scrawny doesn't mean you have to be a bitch.

Av willis
12-04-2020, 10:54 AM
The Phlster Flex makes mag caddy holsters in general and the sidecar specifically obsolete. More range of motion, the ability to fine tune the rig to your needs, both in terms of fit, (angle, spacing, ride height, etc,) and loadout, (plug in holster of choice, as well as pouches, mounting system, and equipment.) The fact that the owner isn't a try-hard twat waffle is just a bonus.

HCM
12-04-2020, 12:36 PM

I think the answer to your question is that among serious shooters TREX arms is not a matter of love or Hate. Rather they love to hate TREX arms and it’s proprietor.

TGS
12-04-2020, 01:28 PM
The gear doesn't seem awful, but as others have stated, the lack of a return policy or any customer support would make me steer clear.

Regarding Lucas, he seems like a shady character. Another interesting observation I've seen is him claiming "Law Enforcement" category at matches. See here:
https://practiscore.com/results/new/8ef90ca9-1287-49e5-98ad-80f7a691f739?q_individual=0
https://practiscore.com/results/new/c222174a-3cf0-44ba-b66b-d9e0563a658f?q_individual=0

He is classified and seems to perform at an A class level in matches, but due to "creative" video editing, he looks a lot faster on instagram. For the gun industry, this is apparently a low enough bar to secure law enforcement training contracts.

The fact that he was only a "jolly vollie" for a year is kind of a red flag, too. I never knew anyone who left that quickly, at that young age, with the exception of people who either couldn't hack it or failed school (FF or EMT)......or moved away, but that doesn't seem to be applicable here.

As far as the LE thing..... TC215, what are the legalities surrounding special deputation, reserve officer appointments, etc in Tennessee?

TC215
12-04-2020, 01:47 PM
As far as the LE thing..... TC215, what are the legalities surrounding special deputation, reserve officer appointments, etc in Tennessee?

https://eli.ctas.tennessee.edu/reference/reserve-auxiliary-part-time-temporary-deputy-sheriffs

Not a lot to it, main thing is you have to complete 80 hours of training the first year. Department policy will dictate exactly what a reserve can and cannot do. Most of the reserves around here have to ride with a full-time officer when on duty, unless they’re POST certified.

HCM
12-04-2020, 01:52 PM
The fact that he was only a "jolly vollie" for a year is kind of a red flag, too. I never knew anyone who left that quickly, at that young age, with the exception of people who either couldn't hack it or failed school (FF or EMT)......or moved away, but that doesn't seem to be applicable here.

If Lukas is a reserve I'd be curious to know if the Sheriff /Chief was a member of the church.

Rex G
12-04-2020, 02:54 PM

I would say much more insta-whatever-enthusiastic fringe, than “industry standard.”

TREX is a decent Kydex bender, in a world with quite a few decent Kydex benders. His Sidecar rig is the LEAST-concealable AIWB rig I have tried. I see it as a fast-draw-gamer rig, but I am not a gamer. The Ragnarok is a decent OWB, for times when neither retention nor concealment are important.

I tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt, regarding quirky religious beliefs. Especially young folks, as they may get around to reading a real* Bible, someday, and see the light. (I have not attempted to learn what TREXian beliefs might be.)

*No, in spite of my evangelical protestant heritage, I do not mean the KJV, or any of its derivatives.

LittleLebowski
12-04-2020, 03:01 PM
Not sure I see the connection. Being scrawny doesn't mean you have to be a bitch.

I was referring to the dummy drag thing and mostly in jest.

LittleLebowski
12-04-2020, 03:02 PM

Claiming LE status pretty much puts him into my NFE category as Uncle Pat would say (Not Fucking Ever).

mmc45414
12-05-2020, 06:33 AM
No, but the P-F discount is always available:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22343-Forum-members-discount!!&p=504100&viewfull=1#post504100

Olim9
12-08-2020, 02:52 PM
I'm not entirely sure one should go around calling gay people fags if they refuse to do a dummy drag. The way he's so well established in the shooting community makes me shake my head. He may run a successful company and rub shoulders with well known people but he is a morally bankrupt individual.

Clusterfrack
12-08-2020, 04:29 PM
I'm not entirely sure one should go around calling gay people fags if they refuse to do a dummy drag. The way he's so well established in the shooting community makes me shake my head. He may run a successful company and rub shoulders with well known people but he is a morally bankrupt individual.

Uh, yeah that's not cool. At all. I know at least two people who happen to be gay who would kick his ass for saying that (and almost certainly could).

Mitch
12-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Never seen that before. Fuck that skinny little bitch then.

JAD
12-08-2020, 05:24 PM
Uh, yeah that's not cool. At all. I know at least two people who happen to be gay who would kick his ass for saying that (and almost certainly could).

But is it cool if he's gay? Does it work like that*?

https://youtu.be/uG2blKU8O5k?t=85

*j/k, I know it does.

LittleLebowski
12-08-2020, 05:39 PM

Same here and let’s not even mention a spelling bee.

Casual Friday
12-08-2020, 06:04 PM
That's from like 3 years ago and no gay people have beaten him up yet so I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen now just because a few people on PF just found out about it.

Mark D
12-09-2020, 09:08 PM
I had T-Rex Sidecar several years ago, before I discovered P-F, JM Custom Kydex, and Dark Star Gear.

The Sidecar was a horrible design, like stuffing a dinner plate down my pants. Worse, the lower edges of the Kydex were sharp and the angles were un-radiused. It was uncomfortable and failed on almost every level.

Shortly after trying the Sidecar, I started to realize that Lucas is a tool. These days I'd rather make my own holster out of a milk jug than use any of his gear.