PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp's Hammerfist of Doom might be an insight to battle armor...

BaiHu
06-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Really cool:
http://www.businessinsider.com/scientists-design-armor-after-shrimps-fists-2012-6

LittleLebowski
06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
You have this uncanny knack of posting about everything I want to blog about :D

BaiHu
06-25-2012, 02:42 PM

LOL! Well look out, here comes another one on Romper Room about a drone--betchya I post it first :cool:

LittleLebowski
06-25-2012, 02:57 PM
I've got a coupla something-somethings brewing..... Not to mention yesterday's gross-out blog post :D

BaiHu
06-25-2012, 03:01 PM
I've got a coupla something-somethings brewing..... Not to mention yesterday's gross-out blog post :D

If you pay me in some Winchester Ranger T 124 grain 9mm ammo, then I'll run all my posts through you first :D

BTW, nice gross-out post. I was in the car with my mom as a kid 20+ years ago and a deer jumped right into the passenger side door in PA. It was so bizarre, b/c we were on a straight road going about 35 MPH.

I guess deer are no stranger than people :rolleyes:

NickA
06-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Very cool stuff, though I thought it was going to be about the pistol shrimp :
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpheidae#section_3
If the two ever cross breed we could be in serious trouble- a shrimp that can punch you at the sped of light with one claw or shoot you with a sonic bubble that's as hot as the sun with the other.
Dayum nature, you scary!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Corlissimo
06-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Really cool:
http://www.businessinsider.com/scientists-design-armor-after-shrimps-fists-2012-6

Dude, you always post some cool stuff (Just finished the Japanese Drone post too). :cool:

But, I just gotta ask: When do you find time to practice/shoot/train? You've even got LL impressed, and he's really got some cool stuff on his blog. You got some kind of Carnac hat, crystal ball, time machine, etc.? :)

BaiHu
06-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Dude, you always post some cool stuff (Just finished the Japanese Drone post too). :cool:

But, I just gotta ask: When do you find time to practice/shoot/train? You've even got LL impressed, and he's really got some cool stuff on his blog. You got some kind of Carnac hat, crystal ball, time machine, etc.? :)

Kind of like Liam Neeson in 'Taken', I do have a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career.

Basically, I get to make money doing the things I love. In '96 I started teaching martial arts full-time, but at first, I needed a part time gig to pay the bills-I salted meat at a kosher deli.

Then, by '99, it paid the bills and it was my solo gig of 30+ classes a week, 7 days a week until June, then it was 5 days a week for the Summer.

By '07, the economy slowed me down to 25 classes a week, but I had saved money, my wages were high enough and my best friend from college helped me invest it. One day I told him I'd pay him back by helping him anytime he'd like. I'm the godfather to his son, so it was his interest and when it was time to leave his working stiff gig, he called me.

It was just before '08 started when he came to me with a proposition: 'You wanna pay me back, then go into business with me. The first year I can't pay you, but I'll train you into what I need, after that, if it works, you'll be my partner.' Since then, I do political/financial research for him in order to help him trade the stock market, so I'm on the computer from 8am-4pm and then I teach martial arts from 5-9 Mon-Thu with a bunch of private lessons on Fri/Sat morning.

So, essentially I get paid to surf the internet, which allows me to be active on a forum I love and find random things on a host of blogs and share them with you or steal them from LL. I get to invest money with my best friend from college and I get to do martial arts every day, which I love and when Friday-Monday rolls around, I have an awesome girlfriend that has no problems with me shooting for 1-2 hours each of those days, which gives me at least 4 hours of practice a week-and boy do I need it! :eek:

jstyer
06-26-2012, 06:26 AM
I know I've been busting your chops lately BaiHu... BUT DON'T YOU DARE COMPARE YOURSELF TO MASTER LIAM! (Unless it's to say you could never compare.)

BaiHu
06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
I know I've been busting your chops lately BaiHu... BUT DON'T YOU DARE COMPARE YOURSELF TO MASTER LIAM! (Unless it's to say you could never compare.)

*mouth moves* *mouth stops* Damn you! *mouth moves* *mouth stops* jstyer, *mouth moves* *mouth stops* do not insult *mouth moves* *mouth stops* my master! *mouth moves* *mouth stops* You want *mouth moves* *mouth stops* to fight? *mouth moves* *mouth stops* Fight me! *mouth moves* *mouth stops* AAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIYYYYEEEEEEE!!!!! *mouth moves* *mouth stops*

Odin Bravo One
06-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Dude,

you guys are weird..............

BaiHu
06-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Dude,

you guys are weird..............

Takes an SME in weirdo to recognize weirdos :D

Corlissimo
06-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Well, forget the Carnac hat/crystal ball stuff then. Sounds like you've got a great thing going for you. :)

*mouth moves* *mouth stops* Fight me! *mouth moves* *mouth stops* AAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIYYYYEEEEEEE!!!!! *mouth moves* *mouth stops*

LOL! That makes me wonder if all those Run Run Shaw movie scripts actually looked like that for dubbing. :D

BaiHu
06-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Well, forget the Carnac hat/crystal ball stuff then. Sounds like you've got a great thing going for you. :)

Yeah, I'm hoping to reduce my life to just one full time gig of living like Richard Branson, but with more women, guns and training :cool:

LOL! That makes me wonder if all those Run Run Shaw movie scripts actually looked like that for dubbing. :D

It does, doesn't it :p

Tamara
06-30-2012, 11:36 AM

It's an awesome blog topic (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2010/03/long-strange-trip.html). ;)

Freakily, YouTube is full of mantis shrimp deathmatch videos. Like "Sandkings".

BLR
06-30-2012, 12:22 PM
It's an awesome blog topic (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2010/03/long-strange-trip.html). ;)

Freakily, YouTube is full of mantis shrimp deathmatch videos. Like "Sandkings".

When I was working on my doctorate, one of my advisers was working on using a special kind of muscle (the eating kind) "glue" as an anti corrosion coating. The muscle secreted a mucus that would allow it to attach to Teflon. Millions of dollars later, still no coating.

This is the same thing. More academic salesmanship.

BTW, if you want a reasonable treatise on composite armor: http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Composite-Structures-International-Mechanical/dp/3709105226/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341076569&sr=1-10&keywords=ballistic+armor

A good read actually.