PDA

View Full Version : Holosun 509T slide milling

Lon
11-25-2020, 10:47 PM
Who’s doing direct milling to Glock slides? I know @chpws has an option but it requires an adapter plate of some sort and I haven’t been able to find any photos that really show what that option looks like.

Anyone know anyone else doing that work? I’ve checked some of the other popular options and haven’t found anything.

SoCalDep
11-26-2020, 12:29 AM
I don’t know of any direct milling solutions. I’m using the CHPWS plate on my G45 and so far it’s worked very well and I have no complaints. I’m using the same Ameriglo suppressor sights I used with the Aimpoint ACRO and they are plenty tall for the 509T.

Lon
11-26-2020, 06:33 AM
I don’t know of any direct milling solutions. I’m using the CHPWS plate on my G45 and so far it’s worked very well and I have no complaints. I’m using the same Ameriglo suppressor sights I used with the Aimpoint ACRO and they are plenty tall for the 509T.

Is your 45 an MOS? If not can you post or send me pics?

WobblyPossum
11-26-2020, 10:11 AM
Jagerwerks lists the 509T as one of their options to mill a slide for.

SoCalDep
11-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Is your 45 an MOS? If not can you post or send me pics?

It is an MOS. I just used the C&H MOS plate.

GJM
11-26-2020, 11:12 AM
It is an MOS. I just used the C&H MOS plate.

Same here with a C&H plate on a 19 and 45 MOS — works great, BUIS front sight height is .315, which is same as a RMR direct milled. Waiting for their plate for the 509T/CORE.

23JAZ
11-30-2020, 09:54 AM
Same here with a C&H plate on a 19 and 45 MOS — works great, BUIS front sight height is .315, which is same as a RMR direct milled. Waiting for their plate for the 509T/CORE.

Would it be preferable to direct mill a slide for the 509T? I have the sight and I’m thinking of getting my slide milled for it however I’m not sure if I should have them just mill a “MOS cut” and use the C&H plate just in case I want to switch out optics down the road. The shop I use did say they have the specs to do the cut and will have the programming done soon. So do I wait for the specific 509 cut or the C&H plate option?

Lon
11-30-2020, 10:10 AM
Would it be preferable to direct mill a slide for the 509T? I have the sight and I’m thinking of getting my slide milled for it however I’m not sure if I should have them just mill a “MOS cut” and use the C&H plate just in case I want to switch out optics down the road. The shop I use did say they have the specs to do the cut and will have the programming done soon. So do I wait for the specific 509 cut or the C&H plate option?

That’s a good question. I ended up buying an AIM SURPLUS RMR cut slide. I’m gonna use the adapter that came w the 509 on it until I decide if I like the 509 or not. Then I’ll make the decision on whether to have it direct milled or not. I prefer direct milled, but it’s a one and some thing for the 509 since no other sights use that footprint.

WobblyPossum
11-30-2020, 11:33 AM
Jagerwerks is offering discounted slide milling and refinishing ($80 for an optic cut and $20 for black nitride) through today if anyone still wants to get a slide milled.

23JAZ
11-30-2020, 11:38 AM
That’s a good question. I ended up buying an AIM SURPLUS RMR cut slide. I’m gonna use the adapter that came w the 509 on it until I decide if I like the 509 or not. Then I’ll make the decision on whether to have it direct milled or not. I prefer direct milled, but it’s a one and some thing for the 509 since no other sights use that footprint.
So the C&H plate fits an RMR cut slide? I was under the impression the Glock MOS cut was different then an RMR direct attach mill cut.

Lon
11-30-2020, 11:46 AM
So the C&H plate fits an RMR cut slide? I was under the impression the Glock MOS cut was different then an RMR direct attach mill cut.

The 509 comes with a adapter plate that fits in the RMR cut. I do believe that C and H Also makes an adapter plate that fits a plain RMR cut.

Lon
11-30-2020, 11:48 AM

This is my 509 on a Lonewolf slide that has an RMR cut. I’m using the holosun adapter plate.

23JAZ
12-03-2020, 08:14 PM

This is my 509 on a Lonewolf slide that has an RMR cut. I’m using the holosun adapter plate.
How deep is the optic cut on that gun?

Lon
12-03-2020, 09:10 PM

I’ll take some measurements later tonight if I can.

Lon
12-03-2020, 10:27 PM

Went ahead and measured 3 slides. From top to bottom:
Lone Wolf slide
AIM Surplus brand slide
Brownells slide

As you can see, the brownells slide is by far the deepest cut. Too bad I can’t use the adapter plate with it.

And with it mounted:

EDIT: No idea why the pics got whopperjawed. 🤷*♂️

23JAZ
12-04-2020, 09:05 AM
Went ahead and measured 3 slides. From top to bottom:
Lone Wolf slide
AIM Surplus brand slide
Brownells slide

As you can see, the brownells slide is by far the deepest cut. Too bad I can’t use the adapter plate with it.

And with it mounted:

I had contacted Holosun earlier in the week and the guy on the phone said he measured an RMR adaptor plate for me and it was .1997”. Than when I got the sight in last night I measure the plate. Seems like a big difference.
My slide will be done today. I”m having it mill to .150” in depth for an RMR footprint. Looks like it will end up working well until C&H get a better plate out.

On a side note, that PMM comp looks great. I’ve heard good things about them. I am trying to resist putting one on the 19.

Lon
12-04-2020, 10:28 AM
On a side note, that PMM comp looks great. I’ve heard good things about them. I am trying to resist putting one on the 19.

I do like the comp. the profile of that AIM slide is not the same as the OEM slide so it doesn’t fit flush the way it would on an OEM slide. I’m gonna have to do some Dremel work to make it fit better.

helothar
12-04-2020, 11:09 AM

509 adapter plate doesn't work with the brownells slide? Is there any way to mount a 509 to one of these slides?

Lon
12-04-2020, 11:27 AM
509 adapter plate doesn't work with the brownells slide? Is there any way to mount a 509 to one of these slides?

Not without grinding down those raised posts that you screw the screws into. I’ll take some more pics when I get home later tonight. I wasn’t willing to try it. I’m really hoping that brownells will have a 509T slide down the road. They’ve got an ACRO slide now I believe.

helothar
12-04-2020, 12:47 PM
Not without grinding down those raised posts that you screw the screws into. I’ll take some more pics when I get home later tonight. I wasn’t willing to try it. I’m really hoping that brownells will have a 509T slide down the road. They’ve got an ACRO slide now I believe.

Thanks, I just got a brownells slide from the black Friday sale, was hoping to put a 509 on it but I guess I'll have to settle with the 508 for the time being

23JAZ
12-04-2020, 02:42 PM
Picked up the slide. With a .150” depth of cut the top of the Holosun RMR adaptor plate sits perfectly parallel with the top of the slide. C&H has a plate in the works. Hoping it is thinner, but over all I’m happy with this set up. I am probably going to need Dawson sights to get a good co-witness.

Lon
12-04-2020, 09:51 PM
Thanks, I just got a brownells slide from the black Friday sale, was hoping to put a 509 on it but I guess I'll have to settle with the 508 for the time being

Here’s a Brownells slide with the plate. Won’t go over posts.

helothar
12-05-2020, 03:08 PM

thanks for the pic, a little disappointing but I should've checked before ordering the slide, I guess it works out as a good excuse to get another one when they come out with something compatible :D

Sig_Fiend
12-05-2020, 03:14 PM

That's the same issue I ran into. I have an AIM Surplus RMR cut slide (no longer in production, 8620 carbon steel version) as well as a KDG Sidelok mount. The stock 509T adapter plate had the same issue on both. I ended up having to run an RMR shim to fill in the gap. On either of those 2 mounts, the gap wasn't quite as significant as in your Brownells slide picture.

backtrail540
12-06-2020, 05:50 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIeD-WLFrPm/?igshid=1slw8pl96c39o

Lon
12-06-2020, 06:46 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIeD-WLFrPm/?igshid=1slw8pl96c39o

Yep. That’s what I’ve been waiting to see some reviews on. Haven’t even been able to find a picture with the 509 mounted.

23JAZ
12-07-2020, 10:53 AM
Yep. That’s what I’ve been waiting to see some reviews on. Haven’t even been able to find a picture with the 509 mounted.

Now that looks great!

Lon
12-07-2020, 11:09 AM
Now that looks great!

Where’s that from?

23JAZ
12-07-2020, 11:14 AM
Where’s that from?

That's the Jagerworks cut with the 509T mounted. Fucking outstanding!
$125 + $50 for paint.

Lon
12-07-2020, 12:10 PM
That's the Jagerworks cut with the 509T mounted. Fucking outstanding!
$125 + $50 for paint.

That’s not bad at all.

23JAZ
12-07-2020, 03:33 PM
Until I can get a direct mill slide I’m sticking with the 507C.

509T

pastaslinger
12-09-2020, 04:23 PM
Is the 509t good enough to commit to milling a slide just for it? I am very tempted... but wondering if I should go with a Trijicon RMR RM06 or try and wait for the Holosun 508t x2 to come in stock at various retailers (though at that point, I'm buying basically the same optic for $50 less and getting an open emitter).

Lon
12-09-2020, 04:39 PM
Is the 509t good enough to commit to milling a slide just for it? I am very tempted... but wondering if I should go with a Trijicon RMR RM06 or try and wait for the Holosun 508t x2 to come in stock at various retailers (though at that point, I'm buying basically the same optic for $50 less and getting an open emitter).

That’s what I’m figuring out. I believe Aaron Cowen approved of it, IIRC. But won’t swear to that. I wasn’t willing to permanently alter the OEM slide at this point, which is why I got the aftermarket slide. If I decide that I like the 509 I’ll go with a dedicated milled slide.

dontshakepandas
12-09-2020, 05:41 PM

I snagged one to try as an offset backup sight on a rifle, and I wasn't super impressed. It seemed to have a lot of magnification, even when compared to an RMR that has a little bit.

It also didn't have a great fit to the Arisaka mount that I had, which I suppose could have been the mount but based on the reports I've seen of poor tolerances on the Holosun optics I'm betting it was the optic itself.

I'd prefer a closed emitter if everything else is equal, but I haven't had any issues in real life with my open emitter optics. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but I think I'll wait for something not made in China.

pastaslinger
12-10-2020, 12:08 PM
I snagged one to try as an offset backup sight on a rifle, and I wasn't super impressed. It seemed to have a lot of magnification, even when compared to an RMR that has a little bit.

It also didn't have a great fit to the Arisaka mount that I had, which I suppose could have been the mount but based on the reports I've seen of poor tolerances on the Holosun optics I'm betting it was the optic itself.

I'd prefer a closed emitter if everything else is equal, but I haven't had any issues in real life with my open emitter optics. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but I think I'll wait for something not made in China.

I just couldn't make the commitment to mill just for the 509t without seeing one in person so I decided to backorder the 508t and stick with RMR pattern cuts. Worst case scenario, I'll have some degree of future proofing since the mounting pattern is pretty standard.

Based on what jagerwerks has shown is possible with the 509t cuts in terms of depth,I think the future will be a 509t or acro style mounting interface that either has additional mounting capability for RMR pattern sights, or accept plates that mount like the 509t/acro sights do

CanineCombatives
12-17-2020, 10:30 PM
Sent a G45 slide and 509T to jagerwerks today, they are telling folks 4-8 weeks turnaround right now, sucks but this 509T cut is a different animal and they got it dialed, anything else I would do locally.
For what it's worth my impressions just taking it out of the box were that it's too big and blocky, and heavy, as in taller and wider and blockier than the sleek by comparison acro, and it's the first pistol optic I've touched that ever felt like it had some weight to it, others have been pretty much imperceptible. But I have to have this setup in my quiver anyway so we will see how the relationship goes compared to the rest of the lineup.
I've steered clear of the acro until we see a gen2 or whatever they will call it with a different battery system and a more realistic lifespan, so until then the 509T will be my only closed emitter setup.

GJM
12-18-2020, 09:15 AM
Sent a G45 slide and 509T to jagerwerks today, they are telling folks 4-8 weeks turnaround right now, sucks but this 509T cut is a different animal and they got it dialed, anything else I would do locally.
For what it's worth my impressions just taking it out of the box were that it's too big and blocky, and heavy, as in taller and wider and blockier than the sleek by comparison acro, and it's the first pistol optic I've touched that ever felt like it had some weight to it, others have been pretty much imperceptible. But I have to have this setup in my quiver anyway so we will see how the relationship goes compared to the rest of the lineup.
I've steered clear of the acro until we see a gen2 or whatever they will call it with a different battery system and a more realistic lifespan, so until then the 509T will be my only closed emitter setup.

Factory specs — the Acro is 2.1 ounces and the 509T is 1.72 ounces. The 509T has a larger display with less framing than the Acro, and the 509T carries significantly smaller than an Acro based on external footprint. I bet it grows on you.

23JAZ
12-18-2020, 01:42 PM

Please post pictures when you get it back. The only reason I didn’t keep the 509T was because I didn’t want to mill a slide specifically for that sight and it sits too high with a plate. I really liked it though and might end up buying a G45 non-MOS to have my local guy mill once he’s got his programming squared away. I have to say though I like the window of the 507C X2 better than the 509T.

pastaslinger
12-18-2020, 05:01 PM
Please post pictures when you get it back. The only reason I didn’t keep the 509T was because I didn’t want to mill a slide specifically for that sight and it sits too high with a plate. I really liked it though and might end up buying a G45 non-MOS to have my local guy mill once he’s got his programming squared away. I have to say though I like the window of the 507C X2 better than the 509T.

What's interesting is that the 509t with the low cut from Jagerwerks requires non-standard height sights for co-witness which helped push me away since only Dawson offered that height and I believe they were out of stock when I checked

CanineCombatives
12-18-2020, 06:00 PM
Hearing the actual dimensions is interesting, hopefully it does grow on me cause I'm going to be living with it for a while regardless.

I've been running the gen1 508T on my main P10f for maybe a year and really like that window a lot, also been waiting for the X2 version for what seems like 6 months now.

This particular G45 slide has XS F8's on it so we will see how the height matches up with the 509, I run a low witness on everything so I expect they'll be tall enough.

GJM
12-18-2020, 07:55 PM
Hearing the actual dimensions is interesting, hopefully it does grow on me cause I'm going to be living with it for a while regardless.

I've been running the gen1 508T on my main P10f for maybe a year and really like that window a lot, also been waiting for the X2 version for what seems like 6 months now.

This particular G45 slide has XS F8's on it so we will see how the height matches up with the 509, I run a low witness on everything so I expect they'll be tall enough.

I am using a .315 height front sight as BUIS on the 509T on a C&W plate on a Glock MOS slide.

dontshakepandas
02-03-2021, 04:46 PM
I ended up repurposing the RMR I was using as an offset sight and replaced it with a 509T since I was able to pick it up for quite a bit less than I could find RMRs in stock for.

I like it a lot more this time around, and decided to send a spare slide to Jagerwerks to try out their direct mill for it. I ordered their suggested sights from Dawson and will be sending it out as soon as they get here.

backtrail540
02-06-2021, 07:59 AM
p/CK6-TiYFURY

noguns
02-10-2021, 10:13 PM
That thing sits so low it makes me worry.

CanineCombatives
02-13-2021, 10:34 PM
It makes me smile

GearFondler
02-13-2021, 11:31 PM
It makes me smileIt makes me think about my next build.

CanineCombatives
03-04-2021, 11:11 PM
They buried it so deep the F8’s are taking up too much of the window, gonna try some standard trijicon HD XR’s instead, one observation is there is barely any metal left on top of the extractor cutout to the optic, I’ll try and get a picture.

backtrail540
03-30-2021, 05:55 AM
Jagerwerks is now direct milling 509t's onto p10's.

p/CNCgrERlGBe

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNCgrERlGBe/?igshid=xwo0hobxnnt0

spelingmastir
04-10-2021, 10:32 PM

What irons are you using here and how is the gun running?

Lon
04-10-2021, 11:06 PM
What irons are you using here and how is the gun running?

That was never a permanent setup for me. I’ve taken the 509T off. It’s currently sitting in my desk at work w a CHPWS MOS plate and a set of Ameriglo GL-470 sights. Waiting for my new issued MOS 19 to arrive.

spelingmastir
04-11-2021, 07:20 AM
That was never a permanent setup for me. I’ve taken the 509T off. It’s currently sitting in my desk at work w a CHPWS MOS plate and a set of Ameriglo GL-470 sights. Waiting for my new issued MOS 19 to arrive.

How many rounds did you put through the setup and did you have any concerns about how it was mounted?

Lon
04-11-2021, 10:00 AM
How many rounds did you put through the setup and did you have any concerns about how it was mounted?

I can’t remember how many rounds through that slide. Not many. I put the 509 and adapter on an AIM Surplus 26/RMR slide and had several hundred rounds through it before I removed it. The only issue I had was I didn’t like how high it made the optic sit. But it worked fine. Since I never intended to use that adapter full time I never bought BUIS specifically for that set up.

dontshakepandas
04-12-2021, 05:16 PM
I got my slide back from Jagerwerks today. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm pretty impressed with the overall package.

In comparison to my ATEI cut slide for an RMR the overall optic height is VERY close to the same, but the 509t is just a touch taller. I don't have a way to accurately measure, but I'd estimate its 1 or 2 millimeters. (The attached picture from the front more accurately shows the difference than the picture from the rear.) I do not feel the additional height will impact concealment in any way, but the height extending over a longer length than the RMR could be a concealment factor since there is height further away from the belt line.

The usable window for the 509t feels huge in comparison the RMR. You get more useable space on the top, but also more usable space at the bottom since the bottom of the window and sights sit lower.

The "tube effect" does seem to help a bit for initial alignment after doing a few one handed presentations. If I'm slightly off in my presentation my brain seems to be able to instinctively fix it more than with the RMR.

The glass has significantly less blue hue compared to the RMR, and the distortion is very similar with the 509t having just slightly more at the edges.

This is all just first impression, but if everything holds up during live fire this will be my new carry option and I'll send a Glock 19 slide to be set up to match.

Up1911Fan
04-12-2021, 07:39 PM
I got my slide back from Jagerwerks today. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm pretty impressed with the overall package.

In comparison to my ATEI cut slide for an RMR the overall optic height is VERY close to the same, but the 509t is just a touch taller. I don't have a way to accurately measure, but I'd estimate its 1 or 2 millimeters. (The attached picture from the front more accurately shows the difference than the picture from the rear.) I do not feel the additional height will impact concealment in any way, but the height extending over a longer length than the RMR could be a concealment factor since there is height further away from the belt line.

The usable window for the 509t feels huge in comparison the RMR. You get more useable space on the top, but also more usable space at the bottom since the bottom of the window and sights sit lower.

The "tube effect" does seem to help a bit for initial alignment after doing a few one handed presentations. If I'm slightly off in my presentation my brain seems to be able to instinctively fix it more than with the RMR.

The glass has significantly less blue hue compared to the RMR, and the distortion is very similar with the 509t having just slightly more at the edges.

This is all just first impression, but if everything holds up during live fire this will be my new carry option and I'll send a Glock 19 slide to be set up to match.

Awesome, I have one there now. How long did yours end up taking?

dontshakepandas
04-12-2021, 07:44 PM
Awesome, I have one there now. How long did yours end up taking?

I sent it in the first week of February and got it back today. I went with the black nitride finish so I’m sure that added a little time.

GJM
04-12-2021, 08:56 PM
My M&P CORE just came back from CHPWS, and I will be interested if the mount holds up. Looks like they installed larger screws than last time.

GJM
04-13-2021, 07:54 PM
My M&P CORE just came back from CHPWS, and I will be interested if the mount holds up. Looks like they installed larger screws than last time.

Screwed up again, will post details in CORE thread.

CanineCombatives
04-14-2021, 01:41 AM
Quick update about my jagerwerks milled G45-509T from the previous page, I swapped the XS F8 sights for some standard trijicon HD XR's and got what is for me the perfect witness, if you would have told me I would end up with these while they had the slide I would have said no way, but if it's depth you desire for your 509T on a glock slide, they are the shop.

spelingmastir
04-20-2021, 07:04 AM
Picked up the slide. With a .150” depth of cut the top of the Holosun RMR adaptor plate sits perfectly parallel with the top of the slide. C&H has a plate in the works. Hoping it is thinner, but over all I’m happy with this set up. I am probably going to need Dawson sights to get a good co-witness.

Did you get new irons? What is the height of the rear in the picture?

pastaslinger
04-22-2021, 12:33 PM
Quick update about my jagerwerks milled G45-509T from the previous page, I swapped the XS F8 sights for some standard trijicon HD XR's and got what is for me the perfect witness, if you would have told me I would end up with these while they had the slide I would have said no way, but if it's depth you desire for your 509T on a glock slide, they are the shop.

Do you have a picture of this, especially the sight picture?

backtrail540
04-30-2021, 06:16 AM
PMM offering another option for glock & 320's.

p/COSaLaXlu3E

imp
06-20-2021, 08:15 PM

Hey I came across your post through a google search and wanted to ask what iron sights you're running. I love how jagerwerks is able to get the optic so low, and naturally i don't want tall sights to obstruct the view. Jagerwerks recommends a sight set with a fiber front, but yours seems to be flat black right?

hfrog355
02-08-2022, 09:35 PM
Anyone doing BUIS in front of the 509T? Would appreciate a pic and who did it for you. Seems like everyone is going sights rear. That Jagerworks IG post is the only one I've seen.

Clusterfrack
02-09-2022, 11:58 AM
Anyone doing BUIS in front of the 509T? Would appreciate a pic and who did it for you. Seems like everyone is going sights rear. That Jagerworks IG post is the only one I've seen.

Stone Bridge Gunworks. Low irons.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220209/2827deb77eb3d2c651b15b4083618fb7.jpg

David S.
02-09-2022, 01:13 PM
Two of my guns are configured that way too, except I have a 507c’s and Ameriglo rears.

hfrog355
04-21-2022, 01:15 PM
Just noticed ATEI has an option for irons forward on a 509T cut for M&P 2.0. Kinda regret not waiting for them to offer a 509T cut as I've really learned to love the irons forward configuration. At the time I ordered from Maple Leaf in February, ATEI wasn't cutting M&Ps for the 509T.

Tokarev
04-25-2022, 04:17 AM
PMM offering another option for glock & 320's.

p/COSaLaXlu3E

70858https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/product/pmm-glock-optic-lightening-slide-cutting-service/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk