PDA

View Full Version : The Rudy Project eye pro ... opinions?

VolGrad
03-18-2011, 09:06 AM
The Rudy Project eye pro

So I’ve been wanting to try a pair of these for a while now. I know they have some pretty good endorsements, including our host TLG who wears them.

I am currently wearing Revision Sawflys. I have a kit that includes grey & clear in a soft zippered case. I believe these provide great protection but aren’t the most comfortable to wear for long periods. They don’t quit e fit my face. The ear pieces adjust for length but not width so they kind of bow out on me and this contributes (along with my choice of ear pro) to uncomfortable ears after a long day of shooting. I have a pair of clear Wiley-X eye pro as a back-up. They are OK but I don’t love them either.

Back to the Rudy Project ….

I am curious who all wears them or has tried them? What is your experience with them compared to other brands you’ve worn? What frames do you prefer and why? What lens technology do you wear and why? What color(s) do you prefer and why?

I am particularly interested in these …
http://www.e-rudy.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=1&cat_id=1&item_id=SP048406

I was not sure what the difference in Racing Red vs ImpactX Photochromatic Red was so I called their customer service yesterday. I was told the Racing Red would stay the same tint/color and would help brighten up things a good bit BUT they weren’t ballistic rated. The ImpactX Photo would change tint based on the amount of UV they were exposed to. They were ballistic rated but they wouldn’t have the brightening effect of the Racing Red. Now I don’t know what to get. I feel the ballistic rating is necessary but am disappointed the Photo lenses don’t have the same brightening effect.

It’s a lot of $ to spend and not get exactly what you want. Thoughts?

TAP
03-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Ask 00bullitt. He has that same frame with red lenses. I saw them on Sunday. I assume he has the impact x lenses but not sure.

VolGrad
03-18-2011, 09:22 AM
I also read ToddG's review from P-T.com (2009 I think). It is very favorable and has some good info.

Anyone else care to chime in?

JV_
03-18-2011, 09:27 AM
I use the Noyz w/ Impact X photochromic lenses in red, gray and clear. I use the clear ones indoors, and the red at outdoor ranges. The red really helps in overcast days.

I had the Rydons, but were these are a better fit.

They have a great exchange/return policy, if you get the wrong ones, just send them back. Heck, you could even order 2X as much gear as you plan to keep and return what's not quite right.

Don't forget to use a 40% off coupon.

NickA
03-18-2011, 11:00 AM
I was just about to start a similar thread. I just got a pair of Rydons and don't think the side coverage is going to be adequate. I also got the photo red impactx lenses so I'll probably at least look through them to check it out, but they're most likely going back for something different. FWIW I have a fairly large melon.

jar
03-18-2011, 11:39 AM
I wear the ekynox SX with the impactX photochromic clear lenses. I love them. I chose the ekynox SX because I have a smaller head and most wraparound glasses stick out to far on the sides. They fit great and are super comfortable.

The photo-clear lenses are great for 90% of all light conditions. They're a little darker than pure clear in dark conditions but not very much. I sometimes use cheapo clear safety glasses for dark house IDPA stages, especially if I'm up at the top of the order after coming inside.

If I was regularly on the water in bright sun, I'd get a pair of the impactx photopolarized gray lenses to switch to.

They're expensive, but a quality product, and I'm happy with my purchase. I use them as general purpose sunglasses, so the cost amortizes over a lot of wear. Being able to get brand new replacement lenses for $20 doesn't hurt either.

MEH
03-18-2011, 12:00 PM
I have the Noyz and Rydons. The Rydons are slightly larger. I use the RX insert and the Rydons are better for them as they don't touch my eye brows. I prefer the Rydon's while wearing ear pro. If you don't use the RX insert the Noyz are fine, otherwise get the Rydon's.

Check out the UNREAL deal's. You can get Rydon's or Noyz with laser black lenses for ~$78 right now. Add an extra pair or two of lenses (photo clear for indoors and photo red for outdoors) to make a great setup. Make sure you get 40% off the lenses.

My son has a pair of GENETYK's with laser black lenses for life guarding. He loves them.

I even wear Rudy frames for every day usage... (Metyum).

I like Rudy.

VolGrad
03-18-2011, 12:06 PM
I forgot to mention I have in my possession right now one of the GENETYK shooting kits I borrowed from a buddy to try out.

I like the way the frames fit my head but would prefer something that looks less like a shooting glass/safety glass and more like casual wear frames. That's why I like the NOYZ frames. They appear to have as much wrap around in the lenses but just different around the nose piece. I could be wrong. I'm going off the website pics only.

MEH
03-18-2011, 12:10 PM
The Genetyk and the Noyz will fit very much the same. If you like the Genetyk fit you'll like the Noyz fit. I use my Noyz frames as everyday sunglasses with the photo red lenses. The Rydon's stay in the shooting bag.

VolGrad
03-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Check out the UNREAL deal's. You can get Rydon's or Noyz with laser black lenses for ~$78 right now. Add an extra pair or two of lenses (photo clear for indoors and photo red for outdoors) to make a great setup. Make sure you get 40% off the lenses.
That IS a good deal.

Can someone PM me the 40% code? Thanks.

JV_
03-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Can someone PM me the 40% code? Thanks.
Coming your way

VolGrad
03-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Coming your way

Got it. Thanks so much.

I'll prob order something. Have to check another source first, might be able to get a slightly better deal. We'll see.

VolGrad
03-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks to all who sent me discount codes of varying %. You guys rock.

I placed an order this morning for the Noyz with Impact X Red & Clear lenses.

NTA
03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Does anyone use any Rudy Project glasses with the Rx insert? I am planning to get one and would appreciate feedback. Thanks

JV_
03-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks to all who sent me discount codes of varying %.

Did you get one > 40%?

VolGrad
03-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Did you get one > 40%?

No comment. :cool:

Chipster
03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
What is this code for 40% off you all are speaking of?

ToddG
03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
What is this code for 40% off you all are speaking of?

There are a few, but the easiest to remember is the one LAV worked out with them: VICKERS

Chipster
03-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Of course the glasses I was going to buy just jumped up $50 in price from yesterday to today :( Thanks to everyone for the many, many discount codes!

VolGrad
03-29-2011, 07:13 PM
I received my Rudy Project Noyz with Impact X Photo Red and Clear lenses yesterday. I like this frame better than the Genetyk for sure. The lenses are fantastic but still not sure how these will feel on my ears after a long day or two.

I plan to wear them for an IDPA Classifier on Sunday. That will be their inaugural outing. I am anxious to see if they are all they are cracked up to be.

I was looking at them online compared to the Rydons to make sure I made the right choice in frame before I start wearing them. Can someone with both confirm the only real difference is where the lens meets the side/ear piece? It appears they are pretty much the same in the nosepiece. Do you have any better peripheral clarity with one vs the other?

No matter .... these are 1,000 timex better fit and feel than my Sawflys or Wiley-Xs. I guess they will now be backups or used by my range guests.

Frank B
03-30-2011, 02:46 AM
Does anyone use any Rudy Project glasses with the Rx insert? I am planning to get one and would appreciate feedback. Thanks

The ImpactRX are losing most of their flexibility and my optican would like to charge me 700 € for a Magster photochromic clear.
Unfortunatedly the VICKERS code did not work over here. I went with the RX insert #700000 and be happy.
The insert fits in easy and I can say nothing but good things about it.
Another good point using the insert is, if your prescription changes, you can get a replacement for much less.

NTA
03-30-2011, 07:00 PM
The ImpactRX are losing most of their flexibility and my optican would like to charge me 700 € for a Magster photochromic clear.
Unfortunatedly the VICKERS code did not work over here. I went with the RX insert #700000 and be happy.
The insert fits in easy and I can say nothing but good things about it.
Another good point using the insert is, if your prescription changes, you can get a replacement for much less.

Thanks FrankB. I ordered the insert as well for my NOYZ frame. I should get it in a couple of weeks.

VolGrad
10-06-2011, 04:07 PM
I will also post an update after wearing mine for several months. These glasses are one of THE best firearms related investments I've made to date. They are bright, clear, and very comfortable. I used to think I needed new ear pro as well as I was always uncomfortable after a long day at the range. Problem solved with these glasses. The ear pieces fit better under the muff cups so I don't need to spend $250 on the Sordins right now.

DonovanM
10-06-2011, 04:22 PM
In another case of odd p-f.com timing, yesterday I ordered a pair of Rydons to replace my Sawflys as well. I didn't like how they fit either and they fogged up something terrible if I didn't use the wipes that came with them, which was a pain.

Anyway I got the graphite frame with orange accents and ImpactX Photo clear and normal gray polarized ones. Can't wait to try em out.

JohnN
10-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Zyon frames?

joshs
10-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Zyon frames?

I have polarized Zyons that I use for non-shooting sunglasses. They have pretty good coverage, but I prefer more coverage for shooting.

jslaker
03-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Dragging up an old thread because I just got a pair of Magsters from UPS today. Got a set of photochromic clear ImpactX lenses for range use and a set of plain laser black lenses for casual use. Managed to stack the VICKERS code with an additional code that kocked another 15% off; I was actually worried they were going to cancel the order because it took them a few days to ship it. According to a buddy of mine that second code no longer works. :D

They fit my big, dumb face, which is often a problem for me with wrap arounds, so I'm fairly happy so far. I plan on hitting the range one day before work this week to make sure they work for me under muffs. I can definitely see what others mean about the lenses being fairly "optically pure." There's no distortion whatsoever at the extremes of the lens, which is good, because I often find myself sighting the gun just below the top edge of the frame.

DonovanM
03-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Five months after purchasing, I'm still chuffed with my Rydons. They fit great, the adjustability is good, and the coverage is adequate. I've got a big, dumb head too (7 1/2 hat) and the adjustability is a godsend. They fog up a little bit depending on the weather. No complaints. Also love the photochromatic lenses for all weather use.

VolGrad
03-13-2012, 06:40 AM
I'm still loving my Noyz as well. In fact, I needed some regular daily wear sunglasses so I purchased a set of Rudy Aviator style glasses called SkyMajors. they are also ImpactX and Polarized. They are fine but I'm not as stoked about them as my Noyz. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed with them but what I've noticed is they aren't really "robust" in design, the lenses always seem smudged or have an oily type film that I can't get off (not really even wet, just have the streaked multi-colored oil slick look), and things aren't as crisp as my Noyz lenses.

Still a HUGE fan of Rudy shooting glasses though. Highly recommend.

NEPAKevin
03-13-2012, 03:05 PM
I have a set of Zyons and use the photo-clear lenses most of the time but on very bright days switch to the photo-polar greys. They came with a set of side shields that help prevent catching hot brass when shooting on line and are easily removed when not needed. One friend who tried them out did not like that the lenses are encased and said the plastic that goes around the bottom of the lens distracted him but I don't notice it at all. Very satisfied with Rudy quality and the impact-x is super clear. The pair I bought came with a nice case that has space for two spare sets of lenses. It also came with a floating strap that I have never used and seems kind of stiff, but might be useful for water sports and at least give a chance of finding if lost in the water? They have also been a sponsor at two our the sanctioned IDPA matches I have run.

Up1911Fan
03-14-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm currently using a pair of Rydons and have been pretty happy with them. The arms aren't as flat as i'd prefer for use with earpro. Currently have the ImpactX Photochromic clear lenses. Really high quality and although i'm not thrilled with the arms I don't regret the purchase.

jetfire
03-14-2012, 12:59 PM
I have a set of the Karboneye glasses that I use a lot, and some Rydons that I picked up at a match. The Karboneye are fine unless it's really sunny, then even though they're allegedly photochromatic they don't do a lot to help; I keep a pair of Gargoyles Cardinals in my bag in case the accursed day-star burns its wrath on me.

ToddG
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM
I use the photochromatic red for shooting outdoors and it is very good at making everything look crisp and sharp. Indoors, they block too much light even in their least darkened state, so I switch to photochromatic clears. The nice thing about those is that if I forget my reds and I'm stuck shooting outdoors, they darken enough to keep me from going blind.

I've got two pair of Rydons and really like them. I've been tempted to try some of the other models, but the investment in lenses, etc. makes it hard to justify the expense when the Rydons work so well.

orionz06
03-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I priced a pair of Rudys with a photochromatic lens, I can get a 2 lens kit with 2 photochromic lenses for $200 or an Oakley photochromatic lense for $170.

bdcheung
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
The deals get even better if you use a promo code.

My cycling team has one that knocks 40% off everything, and you can stack a 15% off code on top of that :cool:

JV_
03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
I bought the Rydon frames (with Rydon and Rydon II lenses) and the Nyoz. I kept the Noyz and returned the rest:

http://www.e-rudy.com/info.php?mark=cust#guarantee

90-day Risk Free Money Back Guarantee (if you're not happy, return it!) Ordering on the Internet or through a catalog could be risky, but not with e-Rudy's 90 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE! If Rudy Project 90 Money Back Guarantee you're not totally stoked on your Rudy Project purchase, just return it within 90 days for a full refund (less shipping & handling). No hassles, no questions. This 90 day return policy applies to non prescription products only. For prescription sunglass warranties, see below.

Because my order was large enough, I qualified for free shipping.

aandries
04-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Hopefully I'm not too late. Could someone send me the discount codes? I see the 40% OFF one, but I don't see a 15% off that stacks.

Thanks guys!

-Aaron

Dennis1209
04-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Yep, I have the Raydons myself with the grey and rose colored lenses. To be honest, the nose piece starts to hurt during extended wear. Maybe I need to adjust it a bit? Last Saturday at my IDPA match it was extremely windy and the design of the lenses didn't help much keeping the debris out of my eyes. But they're impact resistant, quality lenses, light weight and look good. For a $200.00+ pair of shooting glasses, my only real complaint is, they come in a crappy carrying case.