PDA

View Full Version : Gun choice - what else is new? Thin semi

Glenn E. Meyer
11-24-2020, 11:57 AM
So, I will be carrying again. Given the NYS mag limits, the semi gun that makes sense is my G26. Why carry the bigger Glocks. However, it's thick as you all know. It does have the advantage of being mag compatible with my Ruger PCC. However, I might want a thinner OWB gun. So being a Glock guy, a G43 or 48, a Sig 365 (no safety)?

I have a G42 that I'm thinking of ditching. It was a horror when new - had to go back and I still don't trust it. The magazines don't drop when empty, you have to drag them out. Feh. So I might use it to fund in part the new one.

Thoughts?

Clusterfrack
11-24-2020, 12:12 PM
The Glock 48 seems like a good 10 round gun. Add a Gadget, and some sights, and carry on.

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 12:23 PM
The Glock 48 seems like a good 10 round gun. Add a Gadget, and some sights, and carry on.

That's what I did. I like it a lot.

HeavyDuty
11-24-2020, 12:26 PM
I’m one of the weirdos who was calling for a single stack G19 sized gun since the early 90s - I was a S&W 3913 shooter, and I liked the thinner profile. When the G43 was released I came back to Glock from a ten year dalliance with M&Ps, and the G48 finally gave me what I wanted all these years.

One of the guys here pointed out the G48 may not be as reliable as a G19 because the recoil system is G43 based and has a different cycle. Mine has been good and I trust it.

But...

It’s really hard not to reach for the G26 when I’m getting dressed in the morning. I guess my tastes evolved.

TheNewbie
11-24-2020, 12:30 PM
So, I will be carrying again. Given the NYS mag limits, the semi gun that makes sense is my G26. Why carry the bigger Glocks. However, it's thick as you all know. It does have the advantage of being mag compatible with my Ruger PCC. However, I might want a thinner OWB gun. So being a Glock guy, a G43 or 48, a Sig 365 (no safety)?

I have a G42 that I'm thinking of ditching. It was a horror when new - had to go back and I still don't trust it. The magazines don't drop when empty, you have to drag them out. Feh. So I might use it to fund in part the new one.

Thoughts?

Two Glock 42s, two Glock 42s with problems. Yet my LCP just works and works!

The 43, 43x or 48 with SCD would be my choice.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-24-2020, 12:33 PM
My LCP worked fine too. I traded it for G42, mistake. Damn thing jammed on the first round ever. Jammed, Jammed, fired out of battery and scared the crap out of me.

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 12:39 PM
One of the guys here pointed out the G48 may not be as reliable as a G19 because the recoil system is G43 based and has a different cycle. Mine has been good and I trust it.

Mine eats dirty reloads (TiteGroup and coated cast bullets) all day and never bobbles. It went head to head with the bigger Glocks for speed, accuracy, and reliability in an advanced GreenOps class last year.

HCM
11-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Thoughts?

The P365 XL is more comparable to the G43X and 48.

breakingtime91
11-24-2020, 12:47 PM
Mine eats dirty reloads (TiteGroup and coated cast bullets) all day and never bobbles. It went head to head with the bigger Glocks for speed, accuracy, and reliability in an advanced GreenOps class last year.

I am honestly debating selling my glock 17s and just sticking with glock 48s for glocks.. fit my hands better and plain work

RJ
11-24-2020, 01:05 PM
I’ve had/have owned/shot P365/P365XL/G43X/G48 over the last year. Previously owned a G26.5. I currently have a G34.5, a G19.5 and a G48.

For carry, Glock 48 all the way.

Never liked shooting the G26. It was fat and dumpy; the short grip was awkward for me. I think it’s a 1990s design that’s been surpassed by much better choices today. Sorry, not sorry. P365 shoots like a laser. Just too tiny for me. It’s my wife’s gun. She loves it.

G43X was surprisingly snappy, to me. A tungsten guide rod and Overwatch parts did not make it more better. Still, I liked the grip. Sold it to buy the P365XL.

P365XL had pros and cons. I liked the 12+1 in a 4.5” high gun. It had legit night sights. I didn’t need an optic cut, but it was there. I had two issues, one being the FCU rocked about 0.100” in the frame. The other was the follower barfed out of a mag at a match. I decided it wasn’t robust enough for me. It was sold to buy the G48.

The G48 seems to be my Goldilocks choice, so far. I like the proportions. It seems aesthetically...balanced? I dunno. I waited for the black one to be available. Bought it with this year's GSSF coupon. Added an SCD and Ameriglo night sights. I can hit 1” squares at 5 yards. Very soft shooter, even with GD 124+p. Carries in a JM CK IWB3. It shoots well, 91 on The Test is good for me.

Mitch
11-24-2020, 01:11 PM
I prefer the 43X to the 48, but they’re both good guns.

A 43X and a 45 have me pretty much set for hand guns.

Clusterfrack
11-24-2020, 01:19 PM
Good point about the difference. Interestingly, my 98 lb daughter can shoot a G43, even WHO and not have FTF "limp wrist" malfunctions. She cannot reliably shoot a G19, even with two hands. So, if the 48 has similar recoil dynamics, it might be even more reliable than a 19 in some ways? But, it's hard to argue against a double stack Glock. I like the 26.

I’m one of the weirdos who was calling for a single stack G19 sized gun since the early 90s - I was a S&W 3913 shooter, and I liked the thinner profile. When the G43 was released I came back to Glock from a ten year dalliance with M&Ps, and the G48 finally gave me what I wanted all these years.

But...

It’s really hard not to reach for the G26 when I’m getting dressed in the morning. I guess my tastes evolved.

CDFIII
11-24-2020, 01:21 PM
I picked up a new G48 last week.. it was originally intended for my wife but she preferred her M&P once she got some rounds though it. So I did what was right and kept it for myself and added a CHWPS plate and Holosun 507k. Still waiting on my gadget and DSG rig. Once it’s all together it may push my G45 out of daily carry. Time will tell but it’s nice to have options. Tempted to try out the Shield Arms mags but I have faith in the factory 10+1 Glock magazines.

Savage Hands
11-24-2020, 03:22 PM

I agree as well, my gadget came in yesterday and I have Heinie Ledge FO's on the way.

Savage Hands
11-24-2020, 03:27 PM

But...

My G26.5 groups like a full size gun at 25 yards in my hands at the expense of a less confident draw using the flat magazine base and slide bit compared to my G48.
I hope to test them side by side once ammo is plentiful again :o

breakingtime91
11-24-2020, 03:35 PM
Been thinking a lot today. I love my 92 compact but a g43 for gym shorts carry and g48 for everything else is a really good set up for the average American

mtnbkr
11-24-2020, 04:02 PM

#MeToo (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=MeToo)

Chris

1Rangemaster
11-24-2020, 05:28 PM
I have a GEN5 26 which I like a lot-BUT, I typically carry it with a + baseplate for 12 rounds. My reload would be a 19 or 17 standard cap mag. When I ankle carry as a backup, I use a 10 round mag. I’ve shot it in a few IDPA and GSSF matches with acceptable results. I have a G43, usually relegated to a pocket, seldom carried as a primary.
To the OP in a “restricted” state: we have at department a number of folks who carry a G48-no complaints or issues. They run the 10 round mags exclusively. When we had samples to test, I preferred the 43X, but I believe it’s because I was comfortable with the sight radius, etc., having shot a 43 a lot.
FWIW, in NY, not being able to use standard mags, I’d pick a 43X or 48(probably an MOS for the dot option later), put some good sights on and get a few extra mags and start shooting!

Inspector71
11-24-2020, 05:52 PM
Think about it for a minute. Places like NYS keep the revolver idea alive. Give’em time, and we may see a renaissance of single-shot flintlock pistols. (Just an old guy rambling).

Joe in PNG
11-24-2020, 06:52 PM
This has been my skinny pistol for a few years:

It works well enough, and carries well enough.

DDTSGM
11-24-2020, 07:25 PM

Thoughts?

Well, first PM if you want to sell the 42. Seriously.

I have a 43 that I've shot the s@#t out of and I really like it. All my mags wear the Strike Industries +2 extensions and they blend very nicely with the pistol. That addition alone might solve your problem.

At one time I was invested in S&W's - I have three remaining that I don't shoot as often as I should - an M&P 9 gen 1 that has never givien me a lick of problems, and an M&P 2.0 5inch in 9mm which I used for action pistol. That pistol was a workhorse. They don't get shot much at all anymore.

But to my point - I just flat like shooting my Shield 9mm. It's funny how some pistols are just like that - that Shield, my Ruger LCP, and most .22 pistols always bring that goofy grin to my face.

That is a roundabout way of saying that a Shield might be worth looking at.

breakingtime91
11-24-2020, 07:32 PM
I will say that outshooting good shooters with a glock 48 while they shoot duty sized guns is a lot of fun.

Kyle Reese
11-24-2020, 08:08 PM

Same same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RJ
11-24-2020, 08:12 PM
Forgot about this excellent video by LGChris on this topic.

Til;dr: He prefers the P365XL slightly, due to the smaller butt (phrasing Rich!) as compared to the G48 plus mag base, for concealing under a T shirt.

https://youtu.be/mvODnCPs6fM

GAP
11-24-2020, 08:16 PM
Yawn, I’ll just leave these here.

WobblyPossum
11-24-2020, 09:09 PM
Tough to beat the G26 for accuracy, versatility, and shootability. It shoots pretty damn close to how a G19 shoots. I love mine and it’s the gun I generally carry off duty. It can be an ankle gun, a pocket gun, or a belt gun. Consistent draws and reloads are a little tougher to master than a gun with a full firing grip. It’s an older design compared to most of its competitors and most of the bugs have been worked out.

My girlfriend has a G48 and I like it a lot, though. It draws and reloads easier than the G26 but you can’t use the mags of the larger double stack guns as reloads. It also doesn’t work as a pocket or ankle gun unless you’re Shaq.

If I was in a ban state, without LE privileges, and wasn’t already equipped with a solid carry gun so I’d be starting from scratch, I’d probably go with the G48/43X on the belt and a J-Frame in the pocket as a backup gun.

1Rangemaster
11-24-2020, 09:11 PM

Some nice shooting, sir! The GEN5s have the “Marksman” barrel, so a good shooter behind one would give fine results.
I stayed with my 26 because I have + mags and plenty of 17&19 mags which work. A JMCK IWB holster is comfortable for me; I also pack a 19 or G45 in one too.
Looking back to the OP, only positive for a 26 mentioned was mag compatibility with a carbine. Move past that, as I think the 48 still would work; the longer grip is easier to run. I shot a 100 on the 5 yard roundup on the second mag out of the box.
Now, 5 yards obviously ain’t 25, but the slimline GLOCKs will ding a “C” zone silhouette at 50 yards if the shooter is working the trigger correctly.
The longer grip will allow for positive mag ejection if that’s desirable. On both the 26 and 43, the base of the mags sometimes catch on the bottom edge of my hand. If I’m carrying one, I just strip the mag with support hand as it moves to the reload.
Now I’m thinking a Christmas present for me will be a 43XMOS...*sigh*

pangloss
11-24-2020, 09:45 PM
I really like the G26, but if I couldn't have any double stack mags, then I'd quickly buy a G48. Aside from that, I can't think of anything else I'd seriously consider.

Clusterfrack
11-24-2020, 10:31 PM
After I divested of all my p320s following the drop unsafe issue, at a significant loss, I was ready to never shoot another Sig. A friend is a team lead at Sig EO, and I ran into him at the range while they were testing p365s with the R0 optic. They needed someone to shoot 500 rounds so I said ok. Bottom line: I didn’t hate it. In fact, I think it’s better designed than the p320. I would still choose a Glock, but admit that the 365 is a good gun.

RevolverRob
11-24-2020, 10:46 PM
You've been shooting a Glock for forever, right Glenn? So uhh...Glock. The G48 if you're used to a G19 sized gun. G43 if you carried the G26 more.

--

Of course the correct answer is a true Commander in by-God .45 ACP. The caliber invented by Moses himself. But if you want to shoot Euro-pellets that's up to you. I suppose at your age folks probably aren't questioning your sexual preferences anymore. :eek:;)

That's a damn joke folks, don't @ me.

flyrodr
11-25-2020, 12:05 AM
Agree with OP about thickness of Glock double stacks. I have both G19 and G26, and shoot them pretty well. But, when carrying concealed, always found myself more comfortable (i.e., discreet) with a single stack. And I preferred one that could be carried either in a belt holster or stuffed in a pocket holster in "normal" pant pockets. The thicker Glocks just didn't work for me in the situation.

For no particular reason, I tried the P365, and liked it. Put a Shield red dot on mine (all this was before the XL or other slimmer dots), and the combo has worked well. Not quite as quick out of the pocket as a dot-less version, but OK (primarily use a Mika holster cut for covering the dot). The P365 has a bit more recoil than the bigger Glocks, but again, it's OK. Shot the range's single stack Glocks. No problem, but nothing that struck me as a reason to go through the expense of switching.

I'd say, if possible, go to a range that rents them all, and try the 43/48/365 side-by-side on the same trip. Likely to reveal likes/dislikes.

Oh, I will say, coming from a history with the 1911, I've been more comfortable pocket carrying the P365 with the safety. But if OP hasn't had a history with an external safety, the transition could be problematic, at least for a while.

BigT
11-25-2020, 09:33 AM
I like my 48 and it carries well. I can't help but notice that back to back I still shoot a 26 better.

Savage Hands
11-25-2020, 09:38 AM
IMO for a ban state Glock I choose both the G48/G43x and G26.5 which both have their pros and cons, I’ll be picking up another set of possible in anticipation to what gun control lies ahead.

Duelist
11-25-2020, 10:08 AM

You flexin’? Cause I feel like you might be flexin’.

GAP
11-25-2020, 10:22 AM
You flexin’? Cause I feel like you might be flexin’.

Maybe... just kidding around. ;)

Doc_Glock
11-25-2020, 10:43 AM
I like the G26 for a ten round solution.

I also like weapon lights.

As such I just ghetto grip chopped an old G19 to take G26 mags. Problemo solved.

Glenn should consider the G43XMOS to have light and optic capability if desired.

Or chop a G19.

SwampDweller
11-25-2020, 01:43 PM
I like the G26 for a ten round solution.

I also like weapon lights.

As such I just ghetto grip chopped an old G19 to take G26 mags. Problemo solved.

Glenn should consider the G43XMOS to have light and optic capability if desired.

Or chop a G19.

Chopping a G19 to 26 grip length is something I've been considering having done as a "worst case" ban scenario. I assume that the difference in spring pressure of a 10 round G26 magazine pushing up against a G19 slide does not affect reliability?

Savage Hands
11-25-2020, 02:14 PM
Chopping a G19 to 26 grip length is something I've been considering having done as a "worst case" ban scenario. I assume that the difference in spring pressure of a 10 round G26 magazine pushing up against a G19 slide does not affect reliability?

I had one of my 19.4's chopped to a 26 and I didn't like how it 'felt' in my hands where the balance was super top heavy. I never even shot it as I had the opportunity to sell it for good money and I did so.
Just one perspective, I know others like it.

MattyD380
11-25-2020, 02:26 PM
I'll throw in a vote for Kahr. They're thin, small and have nice triggers--albeit different from typical SFA triggers. More like a "real" DA?

I have a K9 which I've put I dunno... 12 - 1300 rounds through. No problems other than 2 premature slide locks in the first 100 rounds. I shoot mine well. When I'm not carry a P239, the K9 is great.

L-2
11-25-2020, 03:13 PM
OP-Meyer, it shouldn't matter much to anybody what I have and carry, just as I don't really care what you end up buying/using/carrying; but you asked.

I often carry my Glock 26 gen3 with some type of mag extension for my pinky-finger to rest upon. I don't generally have mag-cap-restrictions and will use a Glock +2 extension added onto the G26 10-round mag.

I also have a Glock 43, which I used as a BUG before retiring (generally replacing a S&W 642 which was my BUG for years before that). Even though I've got various holsters for the G43, I seldom carry the G43 as I simply prefer the G26gen3 due to the feel and I probably shoot it a bit better (more accurately & faster) along with the higher capacity.

For 9mm Glocks, I still have a G34gen4 (seldom carried), G17gen5, and G19gen5, which I might carry instead. I actually have my G23gen3 on my gunbelt today, as I like that one too.

I've heard some good things about the SIG P365 and some bad things with the early ones. Even though I own three SIGs (older metal framed 9mm guns), I don't think I'll be buying any more due to lack of confidence with SIG and SIG's parts seem harder-to-get compared to Glock.