PDA

View Full Version : LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Pages : [1] 2 3

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 11:11 AM
Is the 627 PC too big for carry? Not a good first revolver?

Wingate's Hairbrush
11-24-2020, 11:38 AM
There's a couple -- which barrel length were you referring to?

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 11:55 AM
There's a couple -- which barrel length were you referring to?

Uh, the one good enough for carry and shooting? This is a very generalized thread.

rcbusmc24
11-24-2020, 12:02 PM
I have one, bought from my buddies shop when it was traded in on something else. It's got a big cylinder... Never carried it as I never got a holster made for it but it shouldn't be any worse than carrying any other N frame. Beast is heavy tho... IIRC Darryl Bolke advocates for this gun or one similar as a car gun....IE big revolver stoked with .357 car killers tucked under the leg while driving for road shenanigans....

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 12:25 PM
I have one, bought from my buddies shop when it was traded in on something else. It's got a big cylinder... Never carried it as I never got a holster made for it but it shouldn't be any worse than carrying any other N frame. Beast is heavy tho... IIRC Darryl Bolke advocates for this gun or one similar as a car gun....IE big revolver stoked with .357 car killers tucked under the leg while driving for road shenanigans....

OK, I'll scratch this one.

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 12:29 PM
Are seven and eight shot revolvers generally considered too big for carry, or just eight shot ones?

jetfire
11-24-2020, 12:57 PM
Are seven and eight shot revolvers generally considered too big for carry, or just eight shot ones?

I carry a 7 shot 586 L-comp, those are fine, albeit a bit on the large side. Doable with the right holster selection. The 8 shots are really big, the cylinder diameter is just huge, and I wouldn't really want to try and carry one. That being said, Smif makes a 627 PC with a 2.6 inch barrel that I've had in and out of my cart on a bunch of occasions.

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 12:59 PM
I carry a 7 shot 586 L-comp, those are fine, albeit a bit on the large side. Doable with the right holster selection. The 8 shots are really big, the cylinder diameter is just huge, and I wouldn't really want to try and carry one. That being said, Smif makes a 627 PC with a 2.6 inch barrel that I've had in and out of my cart on a bunch of occasions.

What would you recommend for a fairly skinny member of the #AIWBMasterRace (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=AIWBMasterRace) ?

jetfire
11-24-2020, 01:02 PM
What would you recommend for a fairly skinny member of the #AIWBMasterRace (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=AIWBMasterRace) ?

For holsters? JM Custom Kydex all day every day. And honestly, this L-frame I carry is really easy to conceal with my holster. Tony and I worked out the details on this specific rig and now he offers it as a catalog option.

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 01:04 PM
For holsters? JM Custom Kydex all day every day. And honestly, this L-frame I carry is really easy to conceal with my holster. Tony and I worked out the details on this specific rig and now he offers it as a catalog option.

No, for pistol choice for carry and training. I already knew about JM Custom :cool:

jetfire
11-24-2020, 01:07 PM
No, for pistol choice for carry and training. I already knew about JM Custom :cool:

I have been really happy with my 7-shooter L-frames. That extra round feels nice, I can shoot 38s or 357, and since I'm really super weird I can mount red dots on them. The 686+ and 586 are the models you're looking for. There are tons of aftermarket grips available too, so you can have as big or as small of a grip as you want.

Whirlwind06
11-24-2020, 01:18 PM
I had an IWB holster for my S&W 22 (.45 ACP N-frame). It's doable but it's a lot of gun for 6 rounds of .45.
I guess 8 rounds would be better in the bulk to round count ratio :)

JTMcC
11-24-2020, 02:07 PM
That revolver weights just about what a 5" 1911 does if that gives a reference.
Lot's of people consider N-frames too big for everyday carry, I don't.

Stephanie B
11-24-2020, 02:11 PM
How do you plan to carry it?

Are you planning to shoot a lot of magnums with it?

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 02:24 PM
How do you plan to carry it?

Are you planning to shoot a lot of magnums with it?

AIWB. I don't think so? I really don't know much about this, I assumed that hotter .38s were the smart way to go.

Lester Polfus
11-24-2020, 02:28 PM
AIWB. I don't think so? I really don't know much about this, I assumed that hotter .38s were the smart way to go.

Check out Smith's 66-8 2.75".

Stephanie B
11-24-2020, 02:33 PM

Hard to make a recommendation, AIWB is so body and comfort specific. I'd think that a K frame is about as large as most people would want to go. A 4" gun is doable, a 3" or 2.75" is a tad more comfortable for me. Stainless steel or nickeled guns may be better. In current production, a Model 66 would be the ticket.

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 02:36 PM
Hard to make a recommendation, AIWB is so body and comfort specific. I'd think that a K frame is about as large as most people would want to go. A 4" gun is doable, a 3" or 2.75" is a tad more comfortable for me. Stainless steel or nickeled guns may be better. In current production, a Model 66 would be the ticket.

I can conceal a G17 AIWB with ease and comfort. I'm 5'11", 182lbs, fairly athletic build. With regards to stainless or nickel guns, is that for ease of maintenance/rust prevention?

Half Moon
11-24-2020, 02:44 PM
An N frame is fairly big for concealed carry. It can be done but it's a fair amount of cylinder bulk and weight. A lot depends on your use case. What are your anticipated needs driving a revolver?

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 02:55 PM
An N frame is fairly big for concealed carry. It can be done but it's a fair amount of cylinder bulk and weight. A lot depends on your use case. What are your anticipated needs driving a revolver?

Range use, carry, classes.

Lester Polfus
11-24-2020, 03:02 PM
Range use, carry, classes.

If "carry" means "kinda sorta covered up by a shirt tail when in rural or wilderness areas" then an N-frame is fine.

If you really need to be discrete, then the K-frame is a better choice, in my opinion. You can get away with a GP100 or L-frame depending on dress and such.

feudist
11-24-2020, 03:25 PM
Never having fired, held or even seen in real life I kinda dig the PC scandium snubbie.

https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/styles/product_main/public/firearms/images/170245_01_lg_1.jpg?itok=9ztejj0D

But, I'd just get a S&W model 10 skinny barrel 4" and slick it up. Skinnies have much better sights.

I took my 6" skinny out shooting yesterday and was reminded-yet again-of how easy they are to shoot very accurately.

jetfire
11-24-2020, 03:26 PM
Never having fired, held or even seen in real life I kinda dig the PC scandium snubbie.

https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/styles/product_main/public/firearms/images/170245_01_lg_1.jpg?itok=9ztejj0D

But, I'd just get a S&W model 10 skinny barrel 4" and slick it up. Skinnies have much better sights.

I took my 6" skinny out shooting yesterday and was reminded-yet again-of how easy they are to shoot very accurately.

That thing is a kinetic bullet puller

feudist
11-24-2020, 03:27 PM

Alas.

jetfire
11-24-2020, 03:32 PM
Alas.

Indeed, it's one of those "this idea is really cool" guns

Lex Luthier
11-24-2020, 04:32 PM

Quoted for truth. If it's .38+P on the menu, you will find the K frames much to your liking.

JAD
11-24-2020, 04:58 PM
3" Ks (I've always thought of the 65 as the pinnacle), Ruger's fixed sight GP100 (1753 is bad ass), and Colt's King Cobra are all in the right ballpark for me. If I had to buy a new gun I'd go with the Ruger.

okie john
11-24-2020, 05:15 PM
Is the 627 PC too big for carry? Not a good first revolver?

An N-Frame Smith 357 is a good first revolver IF you’ll use it mostly on the range. Concealing revolvers is different than concealing autos. Not necessarily harder, just different. Your limiting factors are cylinder bulk, adjustable sights, and the hammer spur.

Save full-snort 357s for hunting. Hot 38’s are fine for everything else, which probably makes the K-frame a better option for your stated uses.

Okie John

Stephanie B
11-24-2020, 05:18 PM
I can conceal a G17 AIWB with ease and comfort. I'm 5'11", 182lbs, fairly athletic build. With regards to stainless or nickel guns, is that for ease of maintenance/rust prevention?

Indeed, that's why stainless or nickel. I've never carried a Glock, so I can't make a comparison.

feudist
11-24-2020, 05:38 PM

jetfire, quick followup: does that include hot .38s?

Totem Polar
11-24-2020, 05:42 PM

So, I’m 5’10” and 160 (in the home gym covid world) and pretty scrawny. It’s shocking how easily a 4” K-frame conceals in a JMCK “George.” Easier than concealing a G17.

The way I see it, there are two ways to go for a “first” action revolver: classic, or new school.

Classic is a no-lock 3” round butt K-frame, period. There is a reason that the last revolver issued by the Feebs was so configured.

For new school—and, if you’ve been paying attention, you would know that I’ve literally owned then all—I’d either go with a “WC” spec Ruger GP with some compact grips, or, conversely, a 4” Kimber K6s “combat”. Get a dozen speedloaders, some ammo (if you can find or load it) and season to taste with the JMCK rig of your choice.

Done. JMO, but again, short of a Korth, you can’t name a common wheelie that I haven’t owned at one time or another.

ETA: needs pics...

Lester Polfus
11-24-2020, 05:46 PM
S “WC” spec Ruger GP with some compact grips,

I was actually coming back here to suggest exactly that. I had been planning on "eventually" buying a 2.75" 66-8, but I just discovered the 3" Wiley Clapp GP100 is only a couple ounces heavier. Clearly it's a thicker cylinder, but since I already have gear for a GP100, and it doesn't have a lock, I'm leaning that way instead.

Guerrero
11-24-2020, 05:59 PM
I'm going to give a newbie opinion: 3" Ruger GP100, preferably the Wiley Clapp model (S&W 66 2.75" good, too, if you can handle the lock). Both midsized, can handle a pretty steady diet of magnums, would conceal ok. Both good "general purpose" wheel guns.

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 06:42 PM
I was actually coming back here to suggest exactly that. I had been planning on "eventually" buying a 2.75" 66-8, but I just discovered the 3" Wiley Clapp GP100 is only a couple ounces heavier. Clearly it's a thicker cylinder, but since I already have gear for a GP100, and it doesn't have a lock, I'm leaning that way instead.

I like the look of that WC GP100. A lot. Need to know more intensifies.

45dotACP
11-24-2020, 06:46 PM
If you want concealment and the best option for durability (which I suspect you do, because you want to do classes which means a fairly high round count) then I'd give it little more thought than "GP100" or 586 Carry Comp.

Sure, a current production K frame might be more durable than its golden years counterparts, but I've seen the the 19 and 586 carry comps both side by side and I'd take the extra beef of the L frame every day and twice on both days of the weekend.

Or I'd take the GP100, slap some compact grips on it and wow my friends with the ability to AIWB a 4" large frame roundgun. Ruger nailed it with the grip peg. My GP100 looks oddly balanced with the Lett Compact grips, sure, so maybe a 3" barrel is better...either way, I shoot it FAR better than a K frame with a 4" barrel because the grip fits me well enough to get my distal interphalangeal joint on the trigger with no discomfort whatsoever.

And for triggers? Who cares. My GP100 has a good trigger. It's been dry fired a million times. It's gonna get some shims soon. I can keep a cylinder in the black of a B8 with it, shooting DA only. Is there something I'm missing with a S&W? Because my prelock model 57s trigger is worse in DA.

Is my GP100 as good in the trigger department as a gunsmith tuned smith? Fuuuuck no. But I'm cheap, gunsmiths for wheel guns are getting rarer by the minute, and if the Glock 17 you carry doesn't bother you, the difference between a smith and a rugers DA triggers won't be a factor.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

gtmtnbiker98
11-24-2020, 06:50 PM
No Colt love in these parts?

Lester Polfus
11-24-2020, 06:54 PM

Novak makes both an adjustable rear, and different height front sights so you can tune the gun to your chosen ammo in whichever fashion you desire.

Next to my Glocks and 3rd Gen Smiths, my GP100 has been the most drama free handgun I've owned. I dropped in a Wolff spring kit, dry fired the shit out of it and have put several thousand mostly magnum rounds through it. It's still tight as a tick an accurate with jacketed.

It needs the cylinders opened up for cast. The cylinder got a little gummy after a couple thousand Blue Dot reloads. The "new" load data calls for a lesser charge that doesn't encourage complete ignition.

A 3" with compact grips would conceal surprisingly well, and hold up to high round counts.

No Colt love in these parts?

I want to love their new 3" six shot guns but I'm leery.

gtmtnbiker98
11-24-2020, 07:40 PM
Novak makes both an adjustable rear, and different height front sights so you can tune the gun to your chosen ammo in whichever fashion you desire.

Next to my Glocks and 3rd Gen Smiths, my GP100 has been the most drama free handgun I've owned. I dropped in a Wolff spring kit, dry fired the shit out of it and have put several thousand mostly magnum rounds through it. It's still tight as a tick an accurate with jacketed.

It needs the cylinders opened up for cast. The cylinder got a little gummy after a couple thousand Blue Dot reloads. The "new" load data calls for a lesser charge that doesn't encourage complete ignition.

A 3" with compact grips would conceal surprisingly well, and hold up to high round counts.

I want to love their new 3" six shot guns but I'm leery.
I have a 2” Cobra that has several hundred rounds, love the gun.

Half Moon
11-24-2020, 08:36 PM
Some general thoughts:

In .38 or .357 you really need a three inch or longer barrel to start tapping performance.

AIWB can be comfortable with barrels up to at least four inches so the medium length barrels are not a huge obstacle. Cylinder width and weight are bigger factors for comfort. Sweet spot for many folks is the mid frame size (Smith K)

Smaller frames (Smith J) are extremely easy to conceal and open up the possibility of pocket carry but have various downsides. Larger frames (Smith N) make great field guns but are larger and heavier than most folks are comfortable carrying concealed.

More weight equals less recoil but harder to carry comfortably. Every shooter's sweet spot will vary.

Hammers can be problematic. Without a hammer shield on the holster they can dig in or rub. Since you are probably shooting DA anyways, bobbing or hammerless are probably the way to go. A shrouded hammer, like a 638, or bobbed does leave the option to ride the hammer when holstering which is somewhat comforting.

While I'm pretty much a committed Smith man, Ruger may be well worth a look. Reputation says they are less likely to have production issues than Smith these days and they have always had a reputation for being slightly more rugged than Smith. There are other options like Colt or Kimber. There are pros and cons there as well.

Fixed sights are probably better in a combat revolver. Adjustable sights can and do shift or break. Ruger adjustables are particularly known for this. Trade off is fixed sights will be regulated for one load. Then again this is more an issue with snubs having spectacular deviations in POA versus POI than in longer barreled revolvers.

Speedloader options are broadest with Smiths. If you go with Smith, JetLoaders, or other spring assisted loaders, are the way to go. Others revolver brands are more limited in selection but speed loaders > strips > loose rounds is still relatively true.

That's about enough data dump from me for now :-)

Totem Polar
11-24-2020, 08:37 PM

I had a chance to think about this more on the drive time home tonight. Honestly, the WC GP is really hard to beat for what you describe.

Some things to know about the GP, and consider:

First off, on the whole 6 v 7 v 8 round thing: the classic load out is 6 rounds. Speedloaders abound for the 6 round wheelies. Moreover, many—though not all—classes and revolver-centric events hew to the old-school capacity, and center around six-round strings. DB and his ilk (Haggard, Cecil, et al.) can say more, but you really don’t want to be the one guy with a sportbike, when all your friends are riding Harleys for the poker run, even if the Japanese sport bike delivers objective advantages on paper. Nobody cares.

The zen of the wheelie is the smooth, hypnotic press and the management of “six fer sure.” If you want to grab an 8-round, moonclipped 9mm super GP or something for a *second* wheelie, I doubt you’d get any argument. But for the first serious revolver? Learn to embrace old-school. Plus, these things are about the zen and joy of nostalgia. Any sitch that has you looking at a GP and going “man, 6 isn’t very much...” will have you just reaching for a G17/19/45 anyways.

Second, you strike me as the kind of guy who will saw his own trees and plumb his own bidets, so you will be doing your own trigger work, and any fool can learn to do a good trigger job on a GP—they’re designed to be easy to take apart. I’ve done smoothing on all the Rugers I’ve owned, and I’m no mechanic. One can learn to work with an S&W too, but you need to take more care in the learning. If you can change a connector in a Glock, you can stone the surfaces and swap wolff springs in a GP—it’s the Glock/AR barbie doll of the wheel gun world.

Third, it’ll last forever, and is currently supported with support that’s actually worth having, JMO.

Fourth, real sights, and good options if you still want something else in your sight picture.

5th, if it’s a commercially available load, the GP will shoot it without any drama for either gun and shooter.

WC GP, JMCK, and go shoot. You reload, yes?

swampyank33
11-24-2020, 08:44 PM
I was actually coming back here to suggest exactly that. I had been planning on "eventually" buying a 2.75" 66-8, but I just discovered the 3" Wiley Clapp GP100 is only a couple ounces heavier. Clearly it's a thicker cylinder, but since I already have gear for a GP100, and it doesn't have a lock, I'm leaning that way instead.I've had both the 2.75" 66 and the WC GP100, w/ Altamont compact grips for some time now. I think if I had to choose one I'd go with the Ruger, mainly because it handles magnum loads better and therefore has the edge for a more "do it all" wheelgun.
That said, I carry my 66 most days and for all the talk about how bad new S&W's are, its been an awesome shooter, a comfortable carry (with Pachmayr Compacs) and a durable, dependable gun so far. I just think of it more as a 38+P gun then a 357.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Lon
11-24-2020, 08:54 PM
IMHO, The three top contenders for what you’re looking for are:

New 66-8 2.75”

586/686+ in 3”

WC GP100 3”

I’m partial to Smith. The lock doesn’t really bother me. jetfire ‘s L frames are pretty badass, can’t go wrong copying him.

BehindBlueI's
11-24-2020, 09:02 PM
I carry a GP100MC with compact grips AIWB with no problem. There's photos in one of the revolver threads about photos of that sort of thing, but I don't recall which. I also own a GP100WC. The extra inch in my pants isn't a big deal (giggity) and I've never bothered with a 3" holster.

The factory grip on the MC is a bit much to conceal without a lot of effort. Like maybe a Cosby sweater.

jtcarm
11-24-2020, 09:12 PM

Rust prevention for this sweaty AIWB guy.

TC215
11-24-2020, 09:14 PM
The 627 PC is doable for carry, but that cylinder is fat and it’s heavy. It’s pleasant enough to shoot.

I had the 686 PC version as well, and it would definitely be better for carry.

https://i.imgur.com/SXE98A0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xhVV1H2.jpg

JTMcC
11-24-2020, 09:21 PM
OP to your question, if you have a true need, or want, to carry that gun, you can do it easily. It's not too big.
I've carried a 4" N-frame for several years now everyday and it's not been a burden. It goes on when I wake up and comes off when I go to bed.

There are quite a few others, not a large percentage of all gun toters, but a lot of us do it.
You might have to put away the "skinny jeans with a wife beater wardrobe" but it's no big deal to do it ;)

I assume you have a compelling reason or you would of ask about small guns instead.

LittleLebowski
11-24-2020, 09:40 PM
I had a chance to think about this more on the drive time home tonight. Honestly, the WC GP is really hard to beat for what you describe.

Some things to know about the GP, and consider:

First off, on the whole 6 v 7 v 8 round thing: the classic load out is 6 rounds. Speedloaders abound for the 6 round wheelies. Moreover, many—though not all—classes and revolver-centric events hew to the old-school capacity, and center around six-round strings. DB and his ilk (Haggard, Cecil, et al.) can say more, but you really don’t want to be the one guy with a sportbike, when all your friends are riding Harleys for the poker run, even if the Japanese sport bike delivers objective advantages on paper. Nobody cares.

The zen of the wheelie is the smooth, hypnotic press and the management of “six fer sure.” If you want to grab an 8-round, moonclipped 9mm super GP or something for a *second* wheelie, I doubt you’d get any argument. But for the first serious revolver? Learn to embrace old-school. Plus, these things are about the zen and joy of nostalgia. Any sitch that has you looking at a GP and going “man, 6 isn’t very much...” will have you just reaching for a G17/19/45 anyways.

Second, you strike me as the kind of guy who will saw his own trees and plumb his own bidets, so you will be doing your own trigger work, and any fool can learn to do a good trigger job on a GP—they’re designed to be easy to take apart. I’ve done smoothing on all the Rugers I’ve owned, and I’m no mechanic. One can learn to work with an S&W too, but you need to take more care in the learning. If you can change a connector in a Glock, you can stone the surfaces and swap wolff springs in a GP—it’s the Glock/AR barbie doll of the wheel gun world.

Third, it’ll last forever, and is currently supported with support that’s actually worth having, JMO.

Fourth, real sights, and good options if you still want something else in your sight picture.

5th, if it’s a commercially available load, the GP will shoot it without any drama for either gun and shooter.

WC GP, JMCK, and go shoot. You reload, yes?

Yup, I reload. No issues there.

pangloss
11-24-2020, 10:05 PM

You could always drop down a caliber and get a SP101 in 327 Federal. You get a smaller revolver and still 6 shots. I'm not a revolver person, but I like my J-frame in .32H&R mag well enough, even though I rarely shoot it. I'd like some Ruger SAs in .327, preferably a Bisley--obviously not for EDC though.

WobblyPossum
11-24-2020, 10:07 PM
For those who own a Ruger GP100 that has one of the darker finishes, how is the finish in terms of durability and corrosion resistance? Is it like a Glock where you don’t need to think about it much past wiping sweat off, or is it more like a classic blued gun that needs to be wiped down and oiled regularly?

Totem Polar
11-24-2020, 10:15 PM
The 627 PC is doable for carry, but that cylinder is fat and it’s heavy. It’s pleasant enough to shoot.

I had the 686 PC version as well, and it would definitely be better for carry.

https://i.imgur.com/SXE98A0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xhVV1H2.jpg

Bloodwork. As in: Clint Eastwood; as in, that gun makes the blood work in my johnson. Seriously good looking revolver.

fatdog
11-24-2020, 10:23 PM
Is the 627 PC too big for carry?

Yes except for the case of OWB in the woods.

I like the suggestion many have made of the GP100 as a first revolver if you are buying a NIB gun.

03RN
11-24-2020, 11:39 PM

I carried a 4" redhawk in a kramer horsehide scabbard for a year. Its pretty big

03RN
11-24-2020, 11:41 PM

03RN
11-24-2020, 11:49 PM
Not bad for a snubby shooting .357s

https://youtu.be/6jyDzMSpivw

https://youtu.be/WjU40-RIs_A

https://youtu.be/umblC3mstGY

OlongJohnson
11-24-2020, 11:54 PM
Speedloader options are broadest with Smiths. If you go with Smith, JetLoaders, or other spring assisted loaders, are the way to go. Others revolver brands are more limited in selection but speed loaders > strips > loose rounds is still relatively true.

GP uses L frame Jet Loaders.

WC GP, JMCK, and go shoot.

This man has it. If the GP MC is the G17 of revolvers, the WC GP is the G19.

imp1295
11-25-2020, 12:05 AM
Maybe this?

Makes me want to go down a path Caleb trod seven years ago.

https://www.gunnuts.net/2013/12/10/photo-gallery-ruger-gp100-wiley-clapp-upgraded/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
11-25-2020, 12:12 AM
I carried a 4" redhawk in a kramer horsehide scabbard for a year. Its pretty big

Totally OT, but, have you read any of Larry Correia’s Monster Hunter novels?

03RN
11-25-2020, 12:13 AM
GP uses L frame Jet Loaders.

This man has it. If the GP MC is the G17 of revolvers, the WC GP is the G19.

Im glad I went k frame after me and Steph got our speedloaders mixed up.

The bulk was noticable enough in my pocket that I pulled it out to look at it.

03RN
11-25-2020, 12:14 AM
Totally OT, but, have you read any of Larry Correia’s Monster Hunter novels?

No, was it about Marines chasing tail in Waikiki? I might like it.

Totem Polar
11-25-2020, 12:19 AM
No, was it about Marines chasing tail in Waikiki? I might like it.

Actually, the best-selling series originally started as a discussion on another gun forum about how all the people in horror movies made terrible choices and, gee, wouldn't it be cool if someone wrote a story where people shot back at vampires and werewolves and stuff with high-powered small arms?

I think that they’re great fun, myself, but I posted because one of the little old lady characters in the novels does work with a Redhawk.

Lon
11-25-2020, 06:00 AM
Actually, the best-selling series originally started as a discussion on another gun forum about how all the people in horror movies made terrible choices and, gee, wouldn't it be cool if someone wrote a story where people shot back at vampires and werewolves and stuff with high-powered small arms?

I think that they’re great fun, myself, but I posted because one of the little old lady characters in the novels does work with a Redhawk.

Good ole Dorcas. A right fine Biblical name. Just don’t eat her pudding cups.

BehindBlueI's
11-25-2020, 08:24 AM
For those who own a Ruger GP100 that has one of the darker finishes, how is the finish in terms of durability and corrosion resistance? Is it like a Glock where you don’t need to think about it much past wiping sweat off, or is it more like a classic blued gun that needs to be wiped down and oiled regularly?

My WC is the "Hawkeye Blue" and the finish was very thin and not very corrosion resistant. So much so it rusted over the roll mark almost immediately. Ruger refinished it under warranty and those with later ones have reported a more robust resistance, but I'd oil it.

Duelist
11-25-2020, 09:00 AM
If it’s primarily to carry it, I’d get a 2.5-3” round butt Kframe with a bobbed hammer and go to town. All of them I’ve handled, fired, or owned have been fantastic. If you get a new one and the lock bothers you, pull it and plug it.

I like the GP, but I’d much rather be carrying a Kframe. But if it’s about shooting and carrying a Magnum, a GP100 or Lframe will probably be a more optimum choice.

mmc45414
11-25-2020, 09:05 AM
This thread reminds me I have that (already plugged) 686+ 3" I traded for waiting for the Apex hammer (https://www.apextactical.com/k-l-frame-hammer-kit-1#sw_revolver_frame=k-l-frame) and C&S Extreme Duty sight (https://cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=CS0123RU&sid=51azp71mujn7225d553961e6v29444t9) to be installed, especially since it is already sitting in the JMCK AIWB while resting in the safe, and I have a couple of HKS loaders waiting as well. I just went so AR batshit on furlough I lost my focus.

I do not have as much AIWB experience as others here, but I will dogpile on the idea that the K size would be easy, the GP/L would be very do-able, the Redhawk/N size would be a stretch. You are a couple inches taller and weigh what I should, you should find it easier than the G-17. For me it makes a big difference on where exactly it is positioned on your belt, but that area of your anatomy might be flatter than it is on me.

If you do not have a bunch of brass I suggest loading .357 but scrutinize the faster powders, especially for a 3" barrel. Full power .357 loads with 2400 or H110 are just redonkulous, but the fastest .38 +P load will be slower than the slowest .357 load. IMO a slow .357 load might be the sweet spot, might mimic common 9mm loads and I do not think you can get there with .38 +P. Once I figure all of this out I plan to accommodate my fixed rear sight with a Dawson front FO sight (https://dawsonprecision.com/s-w-dx-classic-fiber-optic-front-sights/), they get pretty granular on the height options. The biggest challenge might be to find a commercial carry option.

WobblyPossum
11-25-2020, 09:49 AM
My WC is the "Hawkeye Blue" and the finish was very thin and not very corrosion resistant. So much so it rusted over the roll mark almost immediately. Ruger refinished it under warranty and those with later ones have reported a more robust resistance, but I'd oil it.

Thanks. I know I’ve been spoiled by Glock’s finish and was surprised to see corrosion on other people’s guns from sweat and humidity. How often do you need to open your WC up to check the internals for corrosion?

BehindBlueI's
11-25-2020, 10:17 AM
Thanks. I know I’ve been spoiled by Glock’s finish and was surprised to see corrosion on other people’s guns from sweat and humidity. How often do you need to open your WC up to check the internals for corrosion?

I don't know, as it lives mostly in the safe since then. I got the MC shortly afterward and found the 4" to be no extra bother, and it's stainless, so my WC is just brought out for the occasional fondle.

jetfire
11-25-2020, 10:24 AM
jetfire, quick followup: does that include hot .38s?

Honestly it depends on how well the bullet is crimped. Some of the light crimp junk stuff will yeet itself right out, but I wouldn't worry toooooo much if I'm shooting quality SD ammo.

Back to the thread at hand, I have done pretty much everything in this thread. Before I switched to the ACRO'd L-frames, I was EDC'ing a Ruger GP100 WC in 10mm, loaded with 180gr HST 40 S&W, since it shot those right behind the green dot on the front sight. Before that I've carried a 357 Mag GP100 WC as well.

If I could only ever have one revolver for carry, training, and classes, it would definitely be a 3 inch GP100, and probably the WC model in 357 Magnum. The 6 shot GP100s are about the most bomb-proof revolver design ever, and with just a spring change you can get a pretty decent trigger in them, which is nice if it's going to get shot a lot. That being said, I think S&W medium frames like K and Ls are nicer, and you can get a better trigger in a S&W, but it requires more work. Basically: Decent trigger in a Ruger = very little work. Really amazing trigger in an S&W = much more work.

I also think that S&W has done a way better job of solving the 7-shot medium frame revolver than Ruger. The 7-shot GP100s still have timing issues on some models, and I don't like deviating away from the original six shot design with those. So if "more than six" is your capacity goal, it's S&W all the way.

Spartan1980
11-25-2020, 10:45 AM
Regarding trigger comparisons, one thing about the GP100 is it seems to have a painfully long lock time. That hammer fall is long. It’s just not ever going to equal a Smith but they can be shot very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
11-25-2020, 11:36 AM
Keep the suggestions and knowledge coming! Any links to good deals are also appreciated.

What are the go to powders for hot .38?

BN
11-25-2020, 11:45 AM
Regarding trigger comparisons, one thing about the GP100 is it seems to have a painfully long lock time. That hammer fall is long. It’s just not ever going to equal a Smith but they can be shot very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is very annoying to me. I'm used to S&W K-Frames and I find the long lock time on the Rugers very distracting. It seems like the trigger pull is longer too. I like the idea of the GP100, but I don't think I could ever get used to one as long as I have K-Frames.

I have the Jerry Miculek video on S&W trigger jobs and I've done some of my own. Just a light polish here and there with a spring kit and it's a very nice trigger.

oregon45
11-25-2020, 11:45 AM
For "hot" .38spl I like Power Pistol powder. It is similar in burn rate to Unique but burns much cleaner; I tend to use it as a replacement for Unique for that reason, particularly with revolvers that will be shot a great deal.

revchuck38
11-25-2020, 11:52 AM
For "hot" .38spl I like Power Pistol powder. It is similar in burn rate to Unique but burns much cleaner; I tend to use it as a replacement for Unique for that reason, particularly with revolvers that will be shot a great deal.

BE-86 is another possibility, also a burn rate similar to Unique and meters well. I haven't used it in .38 yet but it works well in 9x19 and .45 ACP. The velocities in Alliant's data are pretty close to what I've gotten from my guns.

oregon45
11-25-2020, 11:58 AM
Many of the newer Alliant powders, like BE-86 and Power Pistol, both meter better and burn cleaner than the classic powder choices.

03RN
11-25-2020, 12:49 PM
Im almost ready to need new powders. Check out https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?45483-357-velocity-from-a-2-75-quot-barrel
My thread to see the velocity from my 2.75" and 4" guns.

Wish I could find some power pistol or be-86 to try.

I just ordered some .38 cases to load up from capital cartridge. Decent price on them. Ive got a ton of loaded ammo but wanted to load up another case to save. Ill probably load 6gr unique under 130gr jsp.

Zeke38
11-25-2020, 01:11 PM
BE86 is Power Pistol without all the flash. Power Pistol was designed for "Comp guns" and has a lot of flash and bang in 357. Enough flash and bang that when I fire it in my Kimber K6 3" at the range. I get attention from everyone on the line. The load that I am shooting is midrange from the Speer manual for Short Barrel loads for 135 grain bullets. Power Pistol in my experience, has a lot less flash in bigger cases. In my 44 Special I shoot a 240SWC with 8.0 Power pistol, standard primer and it runs 985fps out of my Ruger Bisley 4 5/8s producing 17K psi pressure. Super accurate in especially the 44 loading and no slouch in the 38s or 357s.

Just too much flash for SD work. Get the BE86 if you can.

Blades
11-25-2020, 04:04 PM
What about a Kimber K6S for a "carry a lot" revolver?

03RN
11-25-2020, 06:13 PM
What about a Kimber K6S for a "carry a lot" revolver?

Not a gun Id want to shoot a lot. Especially with .357s

LittleLebowski
11-25-2020, 08:01 PM
Is a 4” gun that much more uncomfortable than a 2.75” or 3” gun?

Totem Polar
11-25-2020, 08:03 PM

AIWB? I think a 4” carries better than a snub, myself. If the barrel gets below 3”, the gun is more likely to roll out over the belt and print. JMO.

Totem Polar
11-25-2020, 08:06 PM
Not a gun Id want to shoot a lot. Especially with .357s

I didn’t find the 3” K6 to be much worse than my 3” 65-3. The slightly better ergonomics of the K6 seem to mitigate the lighter weight.

125 grainers at full power are a drag, but they suck in the 65 too, IMHO.

Neither is a GP with the cushy grip, for sure.

Half Moon
11-25-2020, 08:13 PM

AIWB, not really. See BBI's post above about the 3" Wiley Clapp versus the 4" Match Champion. My experience is skinny barrel 4" Model 10 and 12 versus 2" model 12's (fixed sight K frames respectively in steel and aluminum frames). Less difference than you would think. In some positions the 4" is actually more comfortable than the 2". A heavier barrel might change that but skinny barrel is limit of my experience for AIWB. Heck, for old school, there is even a Skeeter Skelton article about barrel lengths and comfort that says as much. I think I have it bookmarked somewhere...

ETA: yep, here's the article:

http://darkcanyon.net/The%20Long%20&%20Short%20Of%20Sixgun%20Barrels.htm

deputyG23
11-25-2020, 08:38 PM
BE-86 is another possibility, also a burn rate similar to Unique and meters well. I haven't used it in .38 yet but it works well in 9x19 and .45 ACP. The velocities in Alliant's data are pretty close to what I've gotten from my guns.

BE-86 is the choice if you want +P velocity with standard pressure.
The book maximum standard powder charge (not +P) averages 882 FPS from my 4” .38 GP-100 with a 158 grain cast bullet.
I have experimented with HS—6 and Accurate #5 and BE-86 beats both in clean burning and higher velocity and comparable accuracy.
Got unburned powder flecks under my 65-6’s extractor star with both. Will save those powders for semi automatic pistol loads.

Brian T
11-25-2020, 09:39 PM
I am a big fan of the S&W model 64, in specific the heavy barreled models. As they are still reasonably priced, getting two is feasible. One could be customized by Laubert or McKee, while you shoot the other. They work. They just plain work.

BehindBlueI's
11-25-2020, 09:59 PM

I don't think its even slightly more uncomfortable. The uncomfortable part, if there is one, is going to be the part above the belt line. To get the "disappears to the point I can forget it's there", then I have to go down frame size as well, not just barrel length.

Spartan1980
11-25-2020, 10:34 PM
This is very annoying to me. I'm used to S&W K-Frames and I find the long lock time on the Rugers very distracting. It seems like the trigger pull is longer too. I like the idea of the GP100, but I don't think I could ever get used to one as long as I have K-Frames.

I have the Jerry Miculek video on S&W trigger jobs and I've done some of my own. Just a light polish here and there with a spring kit and it's a very nice trigger.

Yep. Right there with you. I entered USPSA revolver division shooting S&Ws. They will spoil you. But I and a couple of my friends were thoroughly trounced by a guy shooting a stock GP100 reloading from his jean jacket pockets in a local match. They can be shot quite well no doubt, they're just not as "refined". And I slicked up the two GPs I had quite well with minimal work and a couple of WC spring kits.

The "time to proficiency" is just shorter with the S&W action. I just wasn't patient enough to put in the work needed with the GPs.

03RN
11-25-2020, 11:41 PM
Its noticable.

I carried a 4" m19 in a jmcustom aiwb holster for a year before I cut an inch off. I wont go back willingly.

So much more comfortable driving, tying boots, and playing with kids

LittleLebowski
11-26-2020, 08:37 AM
Its noticable.

I carried a 4" m19 in a jmcustom aiwb holster for a year before I cut an inch off. I wont go back willingly.

So much more comfortable driving, tying boots, and playing with kids

Yeah, playing with kids makes me switch to OWB at home. Rassling while carrying AIWB is not comfy.

03RN
11-26-2020, 10:04 AM
Yeah, playing with kids makes me switch to OWB at home. Rassling while carrying AIWB is not comfy.

My son knows to move his head when he charges me. A k frame at aiwb is significantly more comfortable than glocks or 1911s. Its more organic.

awp_101
11-26-2020, 10:48 AM
I can conceal a G17 AIWB with ease and comfort. I'm 5'11", 182lbs, fairly athletic build.

Hizzie
11-26-2020, 02:59 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FLmEFB_UG74&list=PLUt7GUw21-wtm2SQJMIynaJjYc_gHZHbJ&index=3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VP6h9Lhhodw&list=PLUt7GUw21-wtm2SQJMIynaJjYc_gHZHbJ&index=2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7knqxVOpLrE&list=PLUt7GUw21-wtm2SQJMIynaJjYc_gHZHbJ&index=11

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIBZq8-eaIg&list=PLUt7GUw21-wtm2SQJMIynaJjYc_gHZHbJ&index=12

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHjd2fp00Lk&list=PLUt7GUw21-wtm2SQJMIynaJjYc_gHZHbJ&index=10

Fun from the HiTS “Close Quarters Pistol” Class that I took for the Revolver Relevance article.

Hizzie
11-26-2020, 09:06 PM
Any thoughts of rolling with a 22LR to start? The S&W 43C is a riot to shoot. The 317 would be a another lightweight option from Smith. The Ruger LCR and LCRX 3” in 22lr get high praise as well. Smaller, lighter and cheaper to feed. Hell, for the cost and weight penalty of the 627 you could roll a pair of LCR’s.

BN
11-26-2020, 09:14 PM
Any thoughts of rolling with a 22LR to start? The S&W 43C is a riot to shoot.

My everyday all day if I have pants on is a 43c in an AHolster. I can shoot 200 practice rounds without bleeding. And with 22, I do practice more. I just ordered more medical wrap to put on my thumb where the cylinder latch beats me up with 38 J-Frames. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CX1SJTJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I think I might need more, I carry a G-19 in a belt holster.

03RN
11-28-2020, 03:25 PM
BE86 is Power Pistol without all the flash. Power Pistol was designed for "Comp guns" and has a lot of flash and bang in 357. Enough flash and bang that when I fire it in my Kimber K6 3" at the range. I get attention from everyone on the line. The load that I am shooting is midrange from the Speer manual for Short Barrel loads for 135 grain bullets. Power Pistol in my experience, has a lot less flash in bigger cases. In my 44 Special I shoot a 240SWC with 8.0 Power pistol, standard primer and it runs 985fps out of my Ruger Bisley 4 5/8s producing 17K psi pressure. Super accurate in especially the 44 loading and no slouch in the 38s or 357s.

Just too much flash for SD work. Get the BE86 if you can.
Found some BE86 for sale at reloading unlimited fwiw

Blades
11-28-2020, 05:06 PM
My revolver quest has led me to a Ruger SP101 3" that popped up today on a local forum. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have it in my little hands.

UPDATE: Picking up my Ruger tonight. Road trip time. :)

03RN
11-28-2020, 05:47 PM
This just arrived at Mr. Sokol's

Lex Luthier
11-28-2020, 06:00 PM
This just arrived at Mr. Sokol's

Ooh!
What sort of front sight have you decided on?

03RN
11-28-2020, 06:38 PM
Ooh!
What sort of front sight have you decided on?

Nothing special. I told him this gun will be a beater/back-up to my m66. Ill probably put a tritium sight in eventually though.

jtcarm
11-28-2020, 07:52 PM
Indeed, it's one of those "this idea is really cool" guns

I still can’t figure out the market for the 329.

Is it the “hold my beer and watch this” demographic?

HCM
11-28-2020, 07:58 PM

For most people. Yes.

I could see this as a “carry much/shoot little” gun for people who work in real big predator (Grizzly) areas.

OlongJohnson
11-28-2020, 08:42 PM

The 327 PD would be a far more practical gun for the vast majority of people. The TRR8 and M&P R8 make me want to shoot my own eye out. The PD is sexy.

TC215
11-28-2020, 09:07 PM

I can confirm this— my redneck father-in-law has a 329NG.

Duelist
11-28-2020, 10:57 PM

A gun shop owner I used to know had one, and loved it. I asked him why on earth he owned it, and he told me, for when my wife and I go hiking, it’s for the bears.

We live in Arizona. There are *no* bears of significant size in our mountains, and haven’t been for at least a century when the last grizzly in Arizona was killed. We have very few small black bears left, quite a few mountain lions, and an occasional transient jaguar. All of them are timid around people.

I just looked at him and said, well, that will probably work if you can shoot it more than once.

I can’t imagine shooting it at all.

OlongJohnson
11-28-2020, 11:41 PM
I think GJM has a pair on ice. They were replaced by the USP .45 loaded with Super, and he seems to believe as I remember his last writings that Lehigh bullets in 9mm are likely to be as useful as the .45.

Lester Polfus
11-29-2020, 12:31 AM
The 329 is tolerable with .44 Extra Special loads. That would be a 240-250 grain bullet running 1000FPS ish. By tolerable I mean a person could run a few cylinders through, with the right grips, and probably not hurt themselves too bad.

A .429 bullet that weighs 240-250 grains going 1000 FPS is nothing to sneeze at. Unfortunately that's pretty much a hand loading only proposition.

I've fired a J-frame in .357 with full boat magnums, and a 329 with full boat magnums. I really don't know which is worth, but I'm not doing it again.

03RN
11-29-2020, 07:39 AM
The 329 is tolerable with .44 Extra Special loads. That would be a 240-250 grain bullet running 1000FPS ish. By tolerable I mean a person could run a few cylinders through, with the right grips, and probably not hurt themselves too bad.

A .429 bullet that weighs 240-250 grains going 1000 FPS is nothing to sneeze at. Unfortunately that's pretty much a hand loading only proposition.

I've fired a J-frame in .357 with full boat magnums, and a 329 with full boat magnums. I really don't know which is worth, but I'm not doing it again.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=215
They have a similar .45 colt that has killed a lot of deer for me. It'll go through both shoulders of 200lbs + deer or stem to stern. Unfortunately I know deer are a far cry from predators but Ive been told by others that the same load will go through both shoulders of elk as well.

Its a pretty mild load. My .45acp load is only 60fps away from it.

SeriousStudent
11-29-2020, 10:52 AM
LL - check your PM's. I have found something you might like.

Wondering Beard
11-29-2020, 11:13 AM

That's pretty much what I was thinking. If I were to own a 329, it would be a 44 Special dedicated pistol; a lightweight N frame capable of launching 200gr-250gr bullets (WC, SWC, HPs, all copper bullets etc.. -all offered by outfits like Buffalo Bore or Underwood)) at 950-1050fps has a lot to commend it, but not as a 44 Magnum.

OlongJohnson
11-29-2020, 12:55 PM

Anyone know whether the 325 Thunder Ranch can handle .45 Super? Because it seems like something that shoots .45 Auto or .45 AR would be a lot more deployable.

Lester Polfus
11-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Anyone know whether the 325 Thunder Ranch can handle .45 Super? Because it seems like something that shoots .45 Auto or .45 AR would be a lot more deployable.

I looked into this years ago, and I think the answer was "yes." I think I researched that on the Smith and Wesson forum?

I would agree that a 255 grain .45 ACP or .45 Super load would be "just enough" out of this gun...

Stephanie B
11-29-2020, 05:33 PM

For a .44 Special mountain gun, it might be doable.

03RN
11-29-2020, 05:58 PM
I looked into this years ago, and I think the answer was "yes." I think I researched that on the Smith and Wesson forum?

I would agree that a 255 grain .45 ACP or .45 Super load would be "just enough" out of this gun...

Can a 1917 handle +p or supers?

oregon45
11-29-2020, 06:05 PM

Even if it could shoot .45 Super, I don't know if that would gain anything meaningfully beyond the capability offered by .45 Auto-Rim loaded with a 280gr RCBS 45-270-SAA Keith-style bullet at 850fps. See Brian Pearce's article on loading the .45 Auto-Rim in the August 2008 issue of Handloader Magazine.

To me, the .45 Super is only interesting in an autoloader where overall length, crimp strength, and bullet shape are important considerations and constraints. In a revolver, in my opinion, there are better choices to get similar performance and the .45 Auto-Rim with heavy-for-caliber bullets is one of them.

jamautry
11-29-2020, 06:06 PM
Concealed carry is a function of equipment and your build. I can comfortably carry and conceal a 4" N frame without a problem. I have done so on many occasions but I am 6'4" and 325 lbs. Depending on your build, an N Frame can work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

oregon45
11-29-2020, 06:09 PM
Can a 1917 handle +p or supers?

I wouldn't recommend it. Nearly century-old steel, with turn-of-the-last century heat-treating, would steer me away from trying. Even if +P loads worked, they would accelerate wear on the gun for not much return in performance; particularly compared with the performance of heavier bullet loads. In the Brian Pearce article I referred to above, he wrote about using the RCBS 45-270-SAA in a S&W 1917 with 5.7gr of Universal Clays powder for 850fps. He reported that it grouped well, and was dead on at 100-yards, but noticeably high at 50-yards.

revchuck38
11-29-2020, 06:24 PM
Even if it could shoot .$45 Super, I don't know if that would gain anything meaningfully beyond the capability offered by .45 Auto-Rim loaded with a 280gr RCBS 45-270-SAA Keith-style bullet at 850fps. See Brian Pearce's article on loading the .45 Auto-Rim in the August 2008 issue of Handloader Magazine.
Assuming adjustable sight, yeah. My 22-4 is recent enough to have a lock but sports fixed sights. If I needed more power out of it, I’d go with a heavier loaded 230-grain bullet.
To me, the .45 Super is only interesting in an autoloader where overall length, crimp strength, and bullet shape are important considerations and constraints. In a revolver, in my opinion, there are better choices to get similar performance and the .45 Auto-Rim with heavy-for-caliber bullets is one of them.
If you have adjustable sights, yeah. My 22-4 has fixed sights so I’d have to stick with 230-grain bullets and push them faster.

Concealed carry is a function of equipment and your build. I can comfortably carry and conceal a 4" N frame without a problem. I have done so on many occasions but I am 6'4" and 325 lbs. Depending on your build, an N Frame can work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I’m 6’1”/185 and have no problem concealing a 4” N frame. You just have to dress for it.

GJM
11-29-2020, 08:16 PM
Once you add an Acro how does the three inch K/L conceal AIWB?

jtcarm
11-29-2020, 09:31 PM
Even if it could shoot .45 Super, I don't know if that would gain anything meaningfully beyond the capability offered by .45 Auto-Rim loaded with a 280gr RCBS 45-270-SAA Keith-style bullet at 850fps. See Brian Pearce's article on loading the .45 Auto-Rim in the August 2008 issue of Handloader Magazine.

I’ve been experimenting with the LBT 250 ogival wadcutter. 7 grains of Power Pistol in in AR brass gives right around 900 FPS from my 625. 6-shot groups average 2.5”, but it’s consistently 2 flyers and 4 rounds almost in one hole.

I purchased then from MBW to test before buying a mold, but I’m kinda leaning towards this bad boy from Accurate

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-240A-D.png

IMO, unless you need flat-trajectory, there’s no point in driving a fat, non-expanding bullet over 1,000 FPS.

JTMcC
11-29-2020, 11:31 PM

How many rounds do you have thru one?

GJM
11-29-2020, 11:54 PM
Between my wife and I, we have eight 329 revolvers, most worked over lightly by Hamilton Bowen. At one time, they were the handgun of choice for AK bush pilots. We had some dedicated to .44 Special for practice, as the Special loads took a shorter front sight, even with the adjustable rear. We had others for the heavy .44 Special Keith load. Most were for the Garrett magnum load designed for the Scandium and Mountain guns. These were no fun to shoot. Once I shot a mule deer buck up the butt from 42 yards and complete penetration of the deer lengthwise. Oh, my most heinous one was a 329 PD, which was the short barrel variant that I shoehorned K frame boot grips on.

Lon
11-30-2020, 12:09 AM
Once you add an Acro how does the three inch K/L conceal AIWB?

Check out jetfire ‘s IG page. He conceals a 3” L/ACRO combo just fine and he’s not a real big guy.

feudist
11-30-2020, 12:40 AM
Between my wife and I, we have eight 329 revolvers, most worked over lightly by Hamilton Bowen. At one time, they were the handgun of choice for AK bush pilots. We had some dedicated to .44 Special for practice, as the Special loads took a shorter front sight, even with the adjustable rear. We had others for the heavy .44 Special Keith load. Most were for the Garrett magnum load designed for the Scandium and Mountain guns. These were no fun to shoot. Once I shot a mule deer buck up the butt from 42 yards and complete penetration of the deer lengthwise. Oh, my most heinous one was a 329 PD, which was the short barrel variant that I shoehorned K frame boot grips on.

I threw up a little in my mouth.

Half Moon
11-30-2020, 07:21 AM
I wouldn't recommend it. Nearly century-old steel, with turn-of-the-last century heat-treating, would steer me away from trying.

Or no heat treat at all. S&W only began heat treating the 1917's about half way through the World War One production. I forget which month and year but I've seen the memo to start heat treating them on one of the history sites (just don't remember which).

jetfire
11-30-2020, 09:09 AM
Check out jetfire ‘s IG page. He conceals a 3” L/ACRO combo just fine and he’s not a real big guy.

I am in fact quite smol, but the holster/belt/gun combo of 586 L-Comp, ACRO, and JM Custom Kydex does conceal very well. I certainly can't rock it under a fitted dress shirt or something like that, but for my daily costume of untucked polo/t-shirt it's pretty easy. One note, the hardest part to conceal on the gun isn't the ACRO, it's the enormous round-to-square butt conversion grips I have on it. Which are awesome.

03RN
11-30-2020, 09:31 AM
I am in fact quite smol, but the holster/belt/gun combo of 586 L-Comp, ACRO, and JM Custom Kydex does conceal very well. I certainly can't rock it under a fitted dress shirt or something like that, but for my daily costume of untucked polo/t-shirt it's pretty easy. One note, the hardest part to conceal on the gun isn't the ACRO, it's the enormous round-to-square butt conversion grips I have on it. Which are awesome.

How are you carrying a speedloader?

jetfire
11-30-2020, 09:33 AM
How are you carrying a speedloader?

On the occasion that I carry a reload, which is rare because I'd rather carry my clinch pick, it goes at like 11 o'clock in a comp-tac pouch under the untucked shirt. Conceals just fine. But I don't really carry a reload.

Rex G
11-30-2020, 01:38 PM
On the occasion that I carry a reload, which is rare because I'd rather carry my clinch pick, it goes at like 11 o'clock in a comp-tac pouch under the untucked shirt. Conceals just fine. But I don't really carry a reload.

The Clinch Pick is a “reload.” ;)

Edited to add: Mightier than a reload, if an attacker is dumb enough to get within touching distance. When SouthNarc demo’ed the pre-production Clinch Pick and Disciple, at the 2004-ish Blade Show, a realization hit me. THIS was close-quarters fighting; get INSIDE the opponent’s reach, on purpose, rather than “create distance.” If the opponent creates the “close” part, embrace the closeness!

luckyman
11-30-2020, 01:58 PM

Could you elaborate on the “in a comp-tac pouch” part?

jetfire
11-30-2020, 02:26 PM
Could you elaborate on the “in a comp-tac pouch” part?

This little guy: https://comp-tac.com/revolver-speed-load-holder-comp-tac/

Depending on what pants I'm wearing, I can wear it OWB or IWB, and it's pretty easy to conceal. Even the bigass 7 shot loads don't eat up a lot of belt space.

feudist
11-30-2020, 02:45 PM

What's your thought process on that? Not even a speed strip?

jetfire
11-30-2020, 03:01 PM
[/COLOR]
What's your thought process on that? Not even a speed strip?

Rex G nailed it above - for all intents and purposes, the clinch pick is my "reload" and it's a lot faster to get to than fumble farting around with a speed strip. The best reason I ever heard to carry a revolver reload was so I don't have to be standing in a c-store parking lot waiting for the cops with a mostly empty gun and a dead guy next to me. I accept the general logic of that premise, however when I'm dealing with risk calculation vs available space on my 30 inch waist, the knife almost always wins over a reload.

Plus, the entire idea of carrying a revolver as a primary is an affectation. For what the 586 L-Comp weighs and how big it is, I could just as easily carry a 9mm APX with a 20 round mag chock full of HSTs.

OlongJohnson
11-30-2020, 03:03 PM
USP Compact takes VP9 mags with an X-Grip adaptor. Which means you can now rock 17- and 20-round mags in a surprisingly small pistol.

LittleLebowski
12-01-2020, 11:37 AM
Found some BE86 for sale at reloading unlimited fwiw

They're 8lbs less as of now :cool:

LittleLebowski
12-01-2020, 03:48 PM
What’s a good training bullet to load up for .38? Cast and/or coated is preferred.

mmc45414
12-01-2020, 04:28 PM
What’s a good training bullet to load up for .38? Cast and/or coated is preferred.
It is a big case, I sorta like a bigger bullet that takes up some of that space for better combustion. Kind of hard to go wrong.

03RN
12-01-2020, 04:30 PM

Pick one. I prefer 158gr cast from rimrock. My wife prefers 125/130gr in her 2" m15.

Cast is significantly cheaper. I have found 125gr plated or jacket bullets pretty comparable but they're on close outs or pulled etc.

The lighter bullets do kick less. But a 158gr bullet at 950fps is very, very manageable.

Duelist
12-01-2020, 04:46 PM
Berry’s plated are nice. Moly coated cast are cheaper, and still nicer than plain cast for keeping lead off skin and rifling. Plus, you may not have to lube moly coated.

Weight is what shoots most accurately in a steel gun, or what recoil you can manage in a lightweight.

OlongJohnson
12-01-2020, 04:46 PM

So are you just loading up rounds, or did you pick a spinny gun already?

03RN
12-01-2020, 05:31 PM
So are you just loading up rounds, or did you pick a spinny gun already?

We're waiting....

BN
12-01-2020, 05:42 PM

I've been using Bayou's 138 grain coated wad cutter over 3.0 grains of Bullseye. 750 fps in a 4". Not too bad in an Air weight J. I've also used Berry plated 158 rn.

Dave T
12-01-2020, 05:50 PM
Plus, the entire idea of carrying a revolver as a primary is an affectation.

You're making a huge assumption and painting with a very broad brush. There are folks who can't manage a semi-auto for various reasons. Not everyone is the square range operator found on gun forums either. Some have disabilities and or physical limitations that make a revolver a more viable choice than the latest wiz-bang wonder-9.

Since folks have been defending themselves and society for a lot of years with the lowly revolver you probably shouldn't sneer quit so loudly.

Dave

LittleLebowski
12-01-2020, 06:35 PM
You're making a huge assumption and painting with a very broad brush. There are folks who can't manage a semi-auto for various reasons. Not everyone is the square range operator found on gun forums either. Some have disabilities and or physical limitations that make a revolver a more viable choice than the latest wiz-bang wonder-9.

Since folks have been defending themselves and society for a lot of years with the lowly revolver you probably shouldn't sneer quit so loudly.

Dave

I don’t think he meant it that way, since he does indeed carry revolvers.

LittleLebowski
12-01-2020, 06:36 PM
We're waiting....

I’m waiting on word on something, something we’ve chatted about.

Malamute
12-01-2020, 07:05 PM
risk calculation vs available space on my 30 inch waist, the knife almost always wins over a reload.

Ive found that the watch pocket on jeans and Carhartts carry 2 speed strips back to back nicely. I file the sharp edges off with an emory board, they tend to wear the bottom of the pocket otherwise. I also carry a speed loader in the right front pocket, either with the Colt Agent or for whatever I may have on my belt.

jetfire
12-01-2020, 07:06 PM

Dave

I would STRONGLY encourage you to google “Caleb Giddings revolver” before you start getting assmad that I’m dissing revolvers

jtcarm
12-01-2020, 07:37 PM
For general training and IDPA, I run 3.4 grains of Clays with Brazos Precision 158 coated RNs.

If I feel like some +P, it’s 5.5 grains of Power Pistol behind home-cast Lyman 358429 SWC.

JTMcC
12-01-2020, 07:42 PM
jetfire said "Plus, the entire idea of carrying a revolver as a primary is an affectation"

As a full time revo carrier I agree with that.
There are demonstrably more efficient firearms for a prolonged fighting situation. People say - contact shots, etc, etc, etc.
But still, here we are. I carried mag fed semis for a long time and still do some days, (my Wife/Chic does every day) in addition to my revo, but have carried a revolver as primary for a few years now. Because I see the need for mid range .44RM level power (or top end .357 level with heavy bullets at the least). Non human need.

But I LIKE revolvers, I like the physical manipulation, I like shooting & reloading them. They make me happy and give me a fighting chance with the zombie menace of your choice.

Look at the number of folks who pocket carry a .380, their life their choice ;)

That's no disrespect to revolver carriers, I AM one, but we all make our acceptable "compromise". Yours may be a .380 or a J-frame in the pocket, mine's a N-frame all day.

Come the pocylips I'll be stuffing speedloaders in a S&W, enblocs in an M1, or 12 ga in a 590 and if I'm slaughtered by the hoards with glocks & AR's, then at least I had a chance and got dropped doing what I loved :)

LittleLebowski
12-01-2020, 07:44 PM
Pick one. I prefer 158gr cast from rimrock. My wife prefers 125/130gr in her 2" m15.

Cast is significantly cheaper. I have found 125gr plated or jacket bullets pretty comparable but they're on close outs or pulled etc.

The lighter bullets do kick less. But a 158gr bullet at 950fps is very, very manageable.

Please say that BE86 works for all of those.

revchuck38
12-01-2020, 07:50 PM

First, I'd decide what defensive load I was going to use and choose a bullet weight close to that. I'd go with coated over noncoated lead because they're cleaner to load and shoot. In a .38 Special using BE-86, you'll have no problem matching the velocity of your defensive load if you want to.

I shot IDPA SSR for several years back when the power factor was 125. I still have about 2k of 158-grain uncoated RNLs at about 845 fps from back then, plus about 3k of Berry's 158-grain RNs to load when I get done with the 9x19 that's up next. When they're gone, I'll probably switch to coated SWCs at 800-850 fps.

revchuck38
12-01-2020, 07:51 PM

BE-86 is like Unique, it works with everything.

Dave T
12-01-2020, 08:07 PM
jetfire,

I didn't think you were "dissing revolvers", rather I got the impression you were dissing (you word not mine) the people who choose to shoot and carry them. I was defending them.

Since you took what I said the wrong way I guess we are even.

Dave

Malamute
12-01-2020, 08:14 PM
Affectation may be overstating it a bit.

I carry revolvers more than autos for several reasons. Ive always shot revolvers better, theyve mostly been capable of true match grade accuracy as compared to most autos other than a National Match Colt I carried for a while, though no matter how much I shot it i still never shot it as consistently well as Smith revolvers.

03RN
12-01-2020, 08:23 PM

Alliant has data on their sight

03RN
12-01-2020, 08:31 PM
As for affection.

Well yes. It is. Im ok with that. I can shoot and reload autos faster just as accurately.

I think they're more comfortable to carry but thats not that important.

I also dont think a revolver is handicapping me in the real world. Even against 3+ assailants. Tactics, movement, violence of action trump bullets ime.

Malamute
12-01-2020, 08:35 PM
As for affection.

Well yes. It is. Im ok with that. I can shoot and reload autos faster just as accurately.

I think they're more comfortable to carry but thats not that important.

I also dont think a revolver is handicapping me in the real world. Even against 3+ assailants. Tactics, movement, violence of action trump bullets ime.

Im on board for affection. I like revolvers more than autos. Affectation, not sure. :D

Spartan1980
12-01-2020, 09:40 PM

BE86 is the new Unique. Only meters good and is cleaner.
It's my "sleeper" powder. Get a couple of 8lb jugs before the word gets out to the preppers because if I could only have a single powder for all handgun calibers and loads, BE86 would be the one.

Totem Polar
12-01-2020, 09:52 PM
Call me affectionate.

All I can add to the topic is that I’d rather have the average gunstore commando shooting at me with a Glock than Caleb or any of the other wheelie die-hards in this thread shooting at me with a revolver.

That said, when the world gets really imperfect, it’ll be a Glock backing up the longs and friends. Until then, I sorta like this LCR.

Let’s see here, we’ve done this topic, and the 9mm vs .357/.40/.45 today... what are we missing? Shall I start another target focus thread for the gun forum hat trick?

Wyoming Shooter
12-01-2020, 10:03 PM

Dave

I'm absolutely not looking to pick a fight but, I'm curious to know what "...disabilities and or physical limitations that make a revolver a more viable choice..." I know Joe Sledge could run a 1911 very well with one arm, until he went all effing homicidal/suicidal crazy. Thanks very much. ELN

Lon
12-02-2020, 01:14 AM
I'm absolutely not looking to pick a fight but, I'm curious to know what "...disabilities and or physical limitations that make a revolver a more viable choice..." I know Joe Sledge could run a 1911 very well with one arm, until he went all effing homicidal/suicidal crazy. Thanks very much. ELN

I’ve had plenty of people come through my CCW classes that struggle with pulling the slide back on a semi-auto. Much easier to pop the cylinder on a wheel gun. Sometimes a different technique can help with the slide thing, but not always.

fatdog
12-02-2020, 07:20 AM
people come through my CCW classes that struggle with pulling the slide back on a semi-auto

For sure, petite female student shows up with a brand new S&W Shield....I know we are going to spend more time on learning manipulation and general gun handling than actual shooting....

SCCY Marshal
12-02-2020, 08:14 AM
...I know we are going to spend more time on learning manipulation and general gun handling than actual shooting....

Taking you a bit out of context but I wish everyone did this, to be honest. Hunting with the eldest has given me much appreciation for the single-shot, break action rifle. Loading in the dark with cold hands and a world of thought in one's head is much simpler, more robust, and easier than any other design. Unloading for legal transport likewise. Checking that the gun is in a safe condition for carry and movement is as simple as noting the hammer is down. The barrel snaps off the receiver to absolutely show the gun has been cleared and is inoperable in its current state. While chamber checking, the barrel is also detached for the moment. No freely detachable parts to forget or pop out.

At the range, every shot after the first is a reload drill. The design limitations force the user to go through every permutation of gun handling. Except decocking where a good mentor can throw that in.

Revolvers are very similar when it comes to learning to live with a gun. Which also means they are easy to live with at higher skill levels. Low round count drill? You have to administratively unload and reload between reps. Chamber checks are same deal as the break action rifle or even just looking for case heads. Cylinder closed and hammer down? It's ready to carry. No magazines to maintain, load, unload, vet for function, transport, and store. You load and unload one thing, not three (chamber, magazine into the well, and cartridges into the mag for an auto).

Autos versus revolvers have been thoroughly debated for over a century where shooting performance and marksmanship learning curves are concerned. But when it comes to safely living with a gun, I'm increasingly of the opinion that DA revolvers are the simplest and most robust defensive handgun to date. And I think it is an even more important comparative metric than minimizing reload times and maximizing continuity of fire.

I can live with an autopistol just fine and have for most of my life. But going back to revolver carry has come with a much streamlined and simplified experience that is hard to explain but a pleasure nonetheless. We all walk our own path in this life and I'd say that choosing a revolver in the year of our overlords 2020 isn't necessarily an affectation or display of codgery. As with everything, and more than comparing any auto to another bottom-feeder, it is a compromise featuring very valid terms.

I gave up 54% of my onboard capacity, the performance of full power JHP, 0.044" of starting diameter per bullet, reload speed, and acceptance as a modern human when I shelved my HK. But I gained a ton of concealability to avoid being made in the delicate NPE of our social circles, comfort, eased overhead, ability to hand of my gun to the wife/kid/family/friend, ease of ball and dummy shooting, great dryfire convenience, and got to sate the sentimental part of my soul. I did not just, though it does bring me pleasure, ditch the flat gun for Joe Friday's rig.

Wyoming Shooter
12-02-2020, 08:20 AM
I’ve had plenty of people come through my CCW classes that struggle with pulling the slide back on a semi-auto. Much easier to pop the cylinder on a wheel gun. Sometimes a different technique can help with the slide thing, but not always.

I've seen folks struggle to retract slides as well. Usually they were pinching the rear of the slide with the support side thumb and index finger as they pulled rearward. That's just poor technique and easily remedied. If proper technique is applied and the problem persists, a different semiautomatic pistol is in order. It's sure easy to retract a slide with a RDS using pretty much anything to press against. Many physically weak shooters also find the longer and heavier revolver trigger problematic.

Overall, a semiautomatic is easier for me to manipulate, especially one-handed. I do love my revolvers though and shoot them more these days. The affectation is a pleasure to bear.

03RN
12-02-2020, 08:35 AM
Im on board for affection. I like revolvers more than autos. Affectation, not sure. :D

So apparently I misread affectation. I agree. Im not carrying or using revolvers to impress others.

Poconnor
12-02-2020, 08:39 AM
I waited to contribute to this thread. Lots of good ideas. I applaud your decision to get a revolver. Learning to run a revolver will make you a better semi auto shooter.
My first question - is this a want or a need? Assuming you have your needs covered for you and your family ( to include much more ammo than I previously believed to be reasonable. This ammo shortage sucks.)
I believe everybody needs a pocket revolver. My go to is a S&W 642 with a crimson trace boot grip. After that I suggest three different choices. Revolvers are expensive but fortunately you will be well served by three.

1- the old skool standard- a used S&W K frame. You can start and stop with a S&W model 66 4”. It’s a 357 magnum but I treat all my K frames as 38s. It’s a Goldilocks gun. Not too small, not too big, usually has a red ramp front sight adj rear sight. I didn’t appreciate the red ramp until I needed reading glasses. Get the red ramp. The real beauty of this gun is in dry fire. You can dry fire it a lot and really build your hold hard and smoothly work the trigger skills. A S&W model 15 4” is often found at a lower price that the equivalent 357. Next a S&W model 18 4” 22 LR is a great companion to the 66. A S&W 642 lightweight 38 is a great pocket gun. A S&W 43c is a nice .22LR pocket gun trainer.
The 66 and 18 can use the same holster; so can the 642 and 43c. The 642 and 43c are available new. The 66 and 18 are available used. I would avoid 66 no dashes. Remember to bring a tooth brush to clean behind the star as you shoot. I would not use the factory for old S&W repairs.

I have a collection of S&W revolvers. This forum and DB have certainly motivated me to buy more. Part of the enjoyment is the search. I am retired and I don’t need much of excuse to visit any gun store I come across.
These four revolvers would have saved me a lot of money and have covered all my revolver needs for the last 30 years.
Warning- don’t try a S&W tuned by a master. It will spoil you. It is literally sex on your trigger finger

2. New S&W revolvers- the Hillary hole makes me very sad but can be corrected with a plug. The same suggestions as above apply. A more expensive route with the advantages of buy right now ( ignoring the current supply situation) and factory warranty service.

3. New or used Ruger GP100. Heavy, robust. Feels like it could double as an impact weapon in your hand. If I was starting over from zero? I would get a GP100 Wiley Clapp stainless. Put the factory compact grip on it and go shoot it. A lot. Great sights, 3 inch barrel. They make Gp100s and SP101s in 357, 9mm, 327 and 22LR. The LCRs are available if you want a light weight snubby and can stomach the plastic

Running a revolver is a lot like running a 1911 or a shotgun. The low capacity makes you concentrate more on shot placement and reloading. Topping off weapon becomes a thing. You can try to run your revolver like your semi auto but I run it revolver specific. Shoot it double action. My grip is different, I reload with my right hand etc. To me it’s like switching between a belt fed and an M4. My first revolver was a S&W N frame model 28. I still have it and I just bought another last week!
Enjoy your revolver hunt

BehindBlueI's
12-02-2020, 08:46 AM

My dad has severe RA. Some of his tendons are locked in place and his fingers don't move with the others. To open all the fingers on his right hand, he has to push on some of them with his left. Some fingers still work ok, including his trigger finger. He's also an amputee and wheelchair bound.

While he can struggle and eventually work the slide on a Shield EZ, it's one of the few he can. There's zero chance he could work it in a timely fashion under stress. It's pretty unlikely he could clear a malfunction. He cannot load magazines, period. He would not be able to field strip the gun and lubricate it.

So you've got a guy who can't properly maintain a gun, who has very limited hand strength and a compromised grip, who also can't clear a malfunction if one occurs. Gun not well lubricated + limp wristing = increased risk of a malfunction he can't fix.

As opposed to a revolver, which he can load and unload easily, which he can lubricate easily, and which any malfunction he would have would be ammo related and another cock of the hammer fixes it.

Wyoming Shooter
12-02-2020, 09:27 AM
My dad has severe RA. Some of his tendons are locked in place and his fingers don't move with the others. To open all the fingers on his right hand, he has to push on some of them with his left. Some fingers still work ok, including his trigger finger. He's also an amputee and wheelchair bound.

(SNIP)

As opposed to a revolver, which he can load and unload easily, which he can lubricate easily, and which any malfunction he would have would be ammo related and another cock of the hammer fixes it.

He found a tool that meets his needs. That's great! When instructing new shooters, I like to expose them to a variety of options rather than imposing my choices on them. What works for me may well not be suitable for someone else. Best wishes for your dad. ELN

feudist
12-02-2020, 01:37 PM
I gave up 54% of my onboard capacity, the performance of full power JHP, 0.044" of starting diameter per bullet, reload speed, and acceptance as a modern human when I shelved my HK. But I gained a ton of concealability to avoid being made in the delicate NPE of our social circles, comfort, eased overhead, ability to hand of my gun to the wife/kid/family/friend, ease of ball and dummy shooting, great dryfire convenience, and got to sate the sentimental part of my soul. I did not just, though it does bring me pleasure, ditch the flat gun for Joe Friday's rig.

I agree 100% but would like to address the safety aspect of the revolver.

Sometimes I think veteran gunhandlers are not well served by the perception of very safe weapons. I've carried a Glock 19 or 17 for the last 26 years, on and off duty.

During that entire time I've been slightly afraid of it. It's like having a pet rattlesnake.

I don't have to remember to treat it with the respect it's due as a firearm, it's rattling at me.:cool:

Anyone else ever feel that way about your weapon? I kinda think we should.

LittleLebowski
12-02-2020, 01:38 PM

Sometimes I think veteran gunhandlers are not well served by the perception of very safe weapons. I've carried a Glock 19 or 17 for the last 26 years, on and off duty.

During that entire time I've been slightly afraid of it. It's like having a pet rattlesnake.

I don't have to remember to treat it with the respect it's due as a firearm, it's rattling at me.:cool:

I've taught my ten year old daughter from Day One to view guns as snakes.

JRV
12-02-2020, 01:52 PM
Recognizing that a gun is comparatively safer or more forgiving of trigger obstructions (e.g. a 9-10 lb DA trigger with a long stroke versus a striker trigger) as well as simpler to operate (verification of loaded/unloaded, simpler manual of arms) does not per se equate to automatic complacency regarding the safety rules.

Feeling “safer” or, perhaps, more conscious of the safety rules because one’s gun is a “less safe” mechanism is illogical. The rules are the rules regardless of the gun.

That’s like saying you feel more confident in your ability to pull out and prevent a pregnancy during the dirty deed because you weren’t numbed by a rubber.

SCCY Marshal
12-02-2020, 01:56 PM
...It's like having a pet rattlesnake.

That's a good point.

Lester Polfus
12-02-2020, 02:13 PM

While he can struggle and eventually work the slide on a Shield EZ, it's one of the few he can. There's zero chance he could work it in a timely fashion under stress. It's pretty unlikely he could clear a malfunction. He cannot load magazines, period. He would not be able to field strip the gun and lubricate it.

So you've got a guy who can't properly maintain a gun, who has very limited hand strength and a compromised grip, who also can't clear a malfunction if one occurs. Gun not well lubricated + limp wristing = increased risk of a malfunction he can't fix.

I'll say amen to that.

Dad has progressive arthritis in his hands. It's getting difficult to rack the slide on his M92, but he can still work the DA trigger stroke fine. We've discussed him getting a GP100 or similar and starting with wadcutters and working our way up the power scale until we hit the limits of what he can tolerate.

He likes the looks of my 1894c too.

Lester Polfus
12-02-2020, 02:16 PM

I've taught my ten year old daughter from Day One to view guns as snakes.

I think frankly this is something we could stand to talk about a little more. I absolutely think being armed is vital, and I'm conscious of the fact that a gun is an easy way for my daughter to kill herself. Those aren't mutually exclusive, and we don't have to be a proponent of the nanny state to realize it.

LittleLebowski
12-02-2020, 02:21 PM
I think frankly this is something we could stand to talk about a little more. I absolutely think being armed is vital, and I'm conscious of the fact that a gun is an easy way for my daughter to kill herself. Those aren't mutually exclusive, and we don't have to be a proponent of the nanny state to realize it.

My daughter knows that her uncle "was sick and had an accident with a gun" (suicide from PTSD and TBI and I believe this to be as honest as I can be with her) and she knows all about me being shot with by someone else's ND. So far, this approach is working fine; with kudos being given to her gun handling by the former chief of NSW East CQB training :cool:

Totem Polar
12-02-2020, 02:22 PM
There is not a time when I first pick up a firearm, open a knife, grab a camp axe, or start a car where I don’t have the thought that the thing is very dangerous. I might get distracted pretty quick, based on the task (running a drill in class, opening a box from Amazon, driving to work) but each time I’m around metal that can hurt me, my initial response, is “man, these things can fuck a body up...”

JMO.

mmc45414
12-02-2020, 03:59 PM
As far as just having revolver competence, I sorta look at it like a pilot knowing how to fly a taildragger. Not as modern, but a fella should be able to back up a trailer, and hit something with a revolver, damnit!!!

As far as lesser trained people, how many S&W Shields, G-26s and G-42s and G-43s are being toted around in purses in Condition3 by people that would have a hell of a hard time cycling the slide while they are being pushed into a van that says Free Candy? How many of those pistols are bouncing around in purses and fanny packs and truck consoles in Condition1 without a proper holster? Many of those people would be better off with a revolver, trouble is the ones that do so probably have a J-frame with a heavy trigger and boot grips and might be better off trying to cycle a slide on that Shield.

Stephanie B
12-02-2020, 05:52 PM
As far as just having revolver competence, I sorta look at it like a pilot knowing how to fly a taildragger.

That's a good analogy. The taildragger that I owned was easy to fly, but if I didn't pay attention, it would bite me in the ass.

(Bit the new owner harder, too.)

Guerrero
12-02-2020, 07:54 PM
^^^ Or like knowing how to drive a stick shift.

BN
12-02-2020, 08:03 PM
Speaking about administrative handling of a firearm.

I have carried a pistol of some sort in my pocket for several decades. Often it has been a small auto loading pistol.

When going to a shooting match I must unload my pocket pistol when arriving. Some of them have a loading/unloading barrel. After several times of ejecting a perfectly good hollow point into tall grass, I started just putting a J-Frame in my pocket. It makes for less stressful administrative handling.

revchuck38
12-02-2020, 08:03 PM
^^^ Or like knowing how to drive a stick shift.

As in three on the tree? :)

mmc45414
12-02-2020, 09:03 PM
Hate to hear that shit! Is everyone able to heal and everything able to be repaired?

Another thing about revolvers, IMO many people that would be well served by them end up with an airweight J-frame with grips that only fit two fingers. I love me some J-frames (got five, want a couple more...) but if more people ended up with at least a LCR with the Hogue that comes on the 3" guns it might be different.

Stephanie B
12-02-2020, 09:12 PM

Hate to hear that shit! Is everyone able to heal and everything able to be repaired?

As far as I know, nobody was hurt, other than their dignity. Last I heard, the owner was buying parts. Don’t know if it’s been flown since. (New owner installed ADS-B, so I can go look.)

Totem Polar
12-02-2020, 09:19 PM
As in three on the tree? :)

Dude, I own a 3 on the tree (‘63 Dart). My wife’s first car—at age 14 (Idaho; totally legal) was a Ford Maverick, so she can wail on the old Dart too. Just so you know. :D

As far as just having revolver competence, I sorta look at it like a pilot knowing how to fly a taildragger. Not as modern, but a fella should be able to back up a trailer, and hit something with a revolver, damnit!!!

Backing up a trailer, for sure. All the up-and-coming urban professionals in my neighborhood buying boats as they pay down mortgages has been the bane of my existence trying to get out of my neighborhood. At least once a month in the warmer seasons, I have to sit in a line and watch a late model truck engage in complete and total road, curb, and sidewalk fuckery with a late model boat.

I suppose they don’t teach that shit in college. My dad just yelled at me until I could back the boat in. Using the ‘63 Dart—which, absurdly, still has a tow hitch on it from before I had a driver’s license.

:D

Folks, this is going to go waaaay tangential for a sec, but: everyone should have the experience of remembering what it’s like to be a new shooter. I learned to shoot handguns with a single-six, while standing between my father’s legs at maybe age 4 or 5, while he held the old flatgate and let me line up the sights, and work the trigger. At 21 (permit time), he gave me his old carry piece, the S&W 36-1 that I’ve posted pics of here before. When I graduated college, his grad gift was a trip to LFI, complete with Paul Gomez level hotel accomodations (Fernan rod n gun, the year that Greg Hamilton got mugged; Mas).

Point being, despite my artistic tendency toward being a space cowboy, it’s been decades since I was a dunce with any common pistol.

But man. Regular readers may be aware that I finally caved and bought my first AR-pattern gun, a DD PDW. Again, I’m no Gabe White, but I can run anything you can conceal AIWB. But the AR? Full on Monkey/football.

I mean, I’m gonna figure it out pretty quick, and I have plenty of blooded experts eager to help me get squared away, but for now, I’m enjoying the feeling of being clueless on manipulation, and it’s been a while since I had occasion to recall the sensation. Go easy on the newbs. And, if they won’t take at least a one-day familiarization class, give them an LCR instead.

JMO.

:cool:

LittleLebowski
12-11-2020, 08:57 AM
This has stalled as I search for the right revolver. I thought I had found a good deal here on PF, but the seller has gone quiet. Also, Wiley Clapp Ruger GP100s appear to be unobtanium at this time.

Lon
12-11-2020, 09:45 AM
This has stalled as I search for the right revolver. I thought I had found a good deal here on PF, but the seller has gone quiet. Also, Wiley Clapp Ruger GP100s appear to be unobtanium at this time.

https://safegunshop.com/product/ruger-gp100-wiley-clapp-edition-357-mag-3-novak-sights-ss-talo-6rd/

Showed as being able to “add to cart”. Not sure if it’s true and I have no experience w seller.

BehindBlueI's
12-11-2020, 10:40 AM

I don't know if Ruger decided otherwise, but originally the WC was supposed to be a limited run of 2500 blued and 2500 stainless. I suspect maybe they changed their minds and made more runs given the apparent popularity, but never looked into it. You know, because I got mine so screw you guys. :P

OlongJohnson
12-11-2020, 10:46 AM
https://safegunshop.com/product/ruger-gp100-wiley-clapp-edition-357-mag-3-novak-sights-ss-talo-6rd/

Showed as being able to “add to cart”. Not sure if it’s true and I have no experience w seller.

My first instinct was to think blued is prettier, but then I remembered how much deburring and breaking edges my MC needed, and the stainless requires no refinishing or touch up after that work.

Jim Watson
12-11-2020, 11:50 AM
My dad has severe RA.

... a revolver, which he can load and unload easily, which he can lubricate easily, and which any malfunction he would have would be ammo related and another cock of the hammer fixes it.

Slipped one in on us there, didn't you?
I know a couple of ladies who were considerately furnished with revolvers by their menfolks.
It did not take them long to figure out it was a lot easier to get hits if they thumbed back the hammer for a crisp 3 lb trigger pull than by hauling a DA pull 12 lbs for an inch.
Chance and circumstance led them both to ADs, fortunately with no injury and only minor damage.

BehindBlueI's
12-11-2020, 12:05 PM
Slipped one in on us there, didn't you?
I know a couple of ladies who were considerately furnished with revolvers by their menfolks.
It did not take them long to figure out it was a lot easier to get hits if they thumbed back the hammer for a crisp 3 lb trigger pull than by hauling a DA pull 12 lbs for an inch.
Chance and circumstance led them both to ADs, fortunately with no injury and only minor damage.

Thumb cocking leading to unintended discharges is a very real concern. Dad can't safely lower the hammer, either. If he cocks it it's going to stay cocked until someone can get there to help him. But he can't pull the trigger otherwise since his hands are so fucked up. We're getting to the point that even a SA revolver isn't going to be an option, and even now it's mostly a security blanket that can make noise if he needs it to.

LittleLebowski
12-11-2020, 01:08 PM

That place is a scam, FYI. I got excited about it for a bit last night.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gundealsFU/comments/iydjfg/question_has_anyone_ordered_from/

Lon
12-11-2020, 02:07 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/gundealsFU/comments/iydjfg/question_has_anyone_ordered_from/

Well that sucks.

Guerrero
12-11-2020, 02:08 PM

That's too bad. I was all ready to say, "One of us... One if us... One of us..."

Jim Watson
12-11-2020, 06:23 PM
Thumb cocking leading to unintended discharges is a very real concern. Dad can't safely lower the hammer, either. If he cocks it it's going to stay cocked until someone can get there to help him. But he can't pull the trigger otherwise since his hands are so fucked up. We're getting to the point that even a SA revolver isn't going to be an option, and even now it's mostly a security blanket that can make noise if he needs it to.

A gunzine article once addressed the house with only a SAA for home defense. The instructor recommended that if the threat was abated and the resident was standing there with the revolver re-cocked, he should just gently lay it down and leave decocking until he calmed down, or for someone else to manage.

Crazy Dane
12-11-2020, 07:58 PM
That's too bad. I was all ready to say, "One of us... One if us... One of us..."

I'm not gonna lie, I had the gun in the shopping cart and my credit card out, then something told me that this was too good to be true so I gave myself a "cooling off" time out. This is my shocked face when I came back to find its a scam site. A 3 inch GP would complete me however...

revolvergeek
12-23-2020, 06:55 PM
I have carried a 4" N-Frame concealed AIWB many times, and also at about 3:30 o'clock in an ancient Alessi IWB holster. I am just shy of 6 foot and at the time I was carrying those I was probably 260. I wore it down on my hips and hid the grip under my belly. Had a 2x2x2 pouch OAOWB and it balanced out nicely. 4" AIWB is about max length for me, and I have to admit that a couple times I have pinched sensitive bits of anatomy between muzzle and chair when I set down recklessly. One day in a coffee shop I dropped down into a wooden chair and bounced back up almost as fast!!!

revolvergeek
12-23-2020, 07:04 PM

I am all for one of those 2" 8-shot monsters, but I have never actually seen one in the real world. A 4" skinny barrel round butt Model 10 is a really nice shooting revolver!

SteveB
12-25-2020, 06:32 AM
Not a range gun, but my 386PD carries well, shoots well (.38’s only) and, cut for moonclips, reloads pretty well.

LittleLebowski
12-30-2020, 09:03 AM
Can you not convert the Rugers to DAO?

mmc45414
12-30-2020, 09:50 AM
Can you not convert the Rutgers to DAO?

Altering the hammer on the Ruger would be pretty straightforward, the contour of the DAO hammer could be easily derived from the spur hammer, and there is more mass to start with and plenty left after removing the spur:

As far as removing the SA cocking notch, I am sure that would be easy also, but would require more research. On a side note, my Apex hammer is supposed to convert to DAO, but farting around with it I was able to get it to stay at full cock (though with a crappy let off):

Not really sure how this makes me feel, but I am sure it doesn't matter.

OlongJohnson
12-30-2020, 10:03 AM
Grant used to offer the service.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/gunsmithing/ruger-revolver-gunsmithing/

vtfarmer
12-30-2020, 03:00 PM

Any competent gunsmith should be able to do it. I've converted my 3" and 4" carry GP100s' myself. Just grind off one side of the cocking notch so it can't engage to hold the hammer back. I prefer horizontal shoulder holsters for the GPs' so I leave the hammer spur to ensure a good purchase for the retaining strap.

Chuck Whitlock
12-30-2020, 04:16 PM

I did it to an older Security-Six. Pretty straightforward.
I would have no qualms about doing it to a GP100, and likely will in the near future.

LittleLebowski
12-30-2020, 05:50 PM
Ok, real fast.

4” Match Champion or 2.75” Wiley Clapp GP100?

Stephanie B
12-30-2020, 06:13 PM
Ok, real fast.

Range toy, field gun: Match Champion

Concealed carry: Wiley Clapp.

My two cents American

Lon
12-30-2020, 07:22 PM
Wiley Clapp

OlongJohnson
12-30-2020, 07:28 PM
Clapp for AIWB. MC for OWB.

Rex G
12-30-2020, 07:53 PM
Shorter barrel clears leather with less strain on the rotator cuff. This matters more with higher-ridin’ holsters.

BehindBlueI's
12-30-2020, 08:15 PM
Ok, real fast.

I enjoy the Wiley Clapp more aesthetically and have more pride of ownership in it. I shoot the Match Champion more. I'd part with the Match Champion before the Wiley Clapp if faced with the revolver equivalent of Sophie's Choice.

JAD
12-30-2020, 08:47 PM
Ok, real fast.

¿Por que no los dos?

Guerrero
12-30-2020, 08:54 PM
WC for utilitarian use

LittleLebowski
12-30-2020, 10:35 PM
¿Por que no los dos?

No tengo sufficiente dinero.

fatdog
12-30-2020, 10:39 PM
WC I think

Dave T
12-30-2020, 11:22 PM
To go back to just before the OP's "either/or" question: taking the hammer spur off is nice for 'no snag' concealed carry, but I've converted virtually every DA revolver I've owned to DAO by simply never cocking the hammer to SA mode. Nobody charged me for it either! LOL

Dave

Totem Polar
12-31-2020, 12:31 AM
Another vote for the WC, but I’m a fiend for 3” wheelies.

swampyank33
12-31-2020, 02:18 AM
WC, if it were me!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201231/0eff858b809599e0c9acd7d049f21b56.jpg

Duelist
12-31-2020, 04:57 AM
Ok, real fast.

Range toy, field gun: Match Champion

Concealed carry: Wiley Clapp.

My two cents American

Shorter barrel clears leather with less strain on the rotator cuff. This matters more with higher-ridin’ holsters.

I enjoy the Wiley Clapp more aesthetically and have more pride of ownership in it. I shoot the Match Champion more. I'd part with the Match Champion before the Wiley Clapp if faced with the revolver equivalent of Sophie's Choice.

WC, if it were me!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201231/0eff858b809599e0c9acd7d049f21b56.jpg

I traded a 3” fixed sight Kframe for a 4” with adjustable sights (and more wear/mileage, so I’d feel better using it), but Rex’s comment and swampyank’s pic are compelling arguments in favor of the WC.

mmc45414
12-31-2020, 08:59 AM
IMO 3" (close enough...) guns are just cool. And if you are just gonna have one (for now) I would lean there.

LittleLebowski
12-31-2020, 09:45 AM
Well won this last night, folks. Time to accumulate speedloaders, speedloader pouches, holsters, brass, and bullets.

Guerrero
12-31-2020, 10:32 AM
Outstanding!

One if us... one if us... one if us...

Order the compact grips from Ruger, too.

03RN
12-31-2020, 10:36 AM
Good choice.

Jmcustom aiwb

Safariland 567
https://www.dillonprecision.com/safariland-custom-fit-holster567-4-revolver_8_14_25317.html

Safariland comp 2s

Safariland cd-2 speedloader holder or JOX

Brass
http://centerfirebrass.com/38-Special%20Brass-1000ct

Bullets (hopefully you have primers. 5.7gr be-86 and these should give you close to 1000fps)
https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-38-357-swc-wn-158-gr-per-800-1.html

LittleLebowski
12-31-2020, 10:54 AM
Outstanding!

One if us... one if us... one if us...

Order the compact grips from Ruger, too.

These?

https://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grips-with-Rosewood-Inserts-Compact/productinfo/70084/

03RN
12-31-2020, 10:56 AM
These?

https://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grips-with-Rosewood-Inserts-Compact/productinfo/70084/

Yup

Half Moon
12-31-2020, 11:10 AM
Well won this last night, folks. Time to accumulate speedloaders, speedloader pouches, holsters, brass, and bullets.

Congrats, LL!

The Comp 2's suggested above are a decent speedloader but, if you can deal with the greater bulk and price, Jetloaders are faster and not reliant on gravity to function:

https://www.pistoleer.com/jetloader/

BehindBlueI's
12-31-2020, 11:16 AM
These?

I'll go against the grain and say at least try the OEM grips before you order the compacts. I have both. I prefer the more plow-handle-ish OEM grip but it obviously doesn't conceal quite as well. It's prettier, though, and it feels better to me. And it's prettier. :D

I do have the compacts on my MC. The gigantic honking 2x4 that comes OEM on those is not well suited for concealment and also changes the grip angle vs every other GP100.

Rick R
12-31-2020, 11:43 AM
I'll go against the grain and say at least try the OEM grips before you order the compacts. I have both. I prefer the more plow-handle-ish OEM grip but it obviously doesn't conceal quite as well. It's prettier, though, and it feels better to me. And it's prettier. :D

Nice!

My 3” 10mm came with the compact grips like Swamp Yank’s gun in post #213 leading to some abuse of the knuckle of my middle finger with my XL paws. I went to the nylon Hogue “Monogrip” and it conceals well under a T-shirt in a JMCK iwb holster for summertime carry. A co-worker bought an early WC with the grip you’re getting and it seemed like a good grip the one time I shot it.

Guerrero
12-31-2020, 12:13 PM
These?

Yes

Dave T
12-31-2020, 12:31 PM
Congrats LL! Enjoy learning your new revolver.

Dave

Stephanie B
12-31-2020, 12:35 PM

Outstanding!! My vote is for Comp-IIs; good all-around for matches and carrying. The "split belt" carriers are terrific for them.

(About the only reason I haven't looked for one is that I have three K-frame snubbies {2.5" and 3"}, so I really don't need another gun for which I'd have to spring for holsters and speedloaders).

03RN
12-31-2020, 12:56 PM
Outstanding!! My vote is for Comp-IIs; good all-around for matches and carrying. The "split belt" carriers are terrific for them.

(About the only reason I haven't looked for one is that I have three K-frame snubbies {2.5" and 3"}, so I really don't need another gun for which I'd have t spring for holsters and speedloaders).

Back when I was shopping for my m66 I was very tempted by the 3" WCs but the ability to use my existing holsters and speedloaders won out. Starting out, I think LL made the best choice.

Crazy Dane
12-31-2020, 02:18 PM

Color me Jealous. This was the year I was gonna do a WC in .357 and 10MM to go with my 3 inch .44. The 3 inch GPs have found a special place in my heart. Congarts on being able to snag that.

Damned covid.

OlongJohnson
12-31-2020, 03:36 PM
If you set up a search, you may occasionally find Jet Loaders on fleabay and not pay too much.

Hizzie
12-31-2020, 08:49 PM
The Hogue 80010 non finger groove grips (https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-80010-Rubber-Redhawk-Grooves/dp/B00X7XQONY) are also worth considering. Just stick with rubber to get the most out of that grip peg arrangement.

p/BSzPHsxjquL

OlongJohnson
12-31-2020, 09:37 PM
The Hogue 80010 non finger groove grips are also worth considering.

I like those. I like them more with my mods. Hopefully, 2021 will be a year when I find enough time to duplicate my modded version in walnut.

Lon
12-31-2020, 10:04 PM
Very nice.

These VZ grips look pretty cool.

https://vzgrips.com/products/vz-320-ruger-gp100.html

Inkwell 41
12-31-2020, 11:05 PM
LL, congratulations on the buy. Can’t wait to see what you have to say about it once you’ve run some rounds thru it.

LittleLebowski
12-31-2020, 11:10 PM
Ok, money order sent for the pistol. Bullets ordered. Brass being donated by a generous forum member. I have primers and 8lbs of BE-86. JM Custom AIWB holster ordered from Tony Mayer. Safariland OWB ordered. I still need speedloaders and speedloader carriers. What else?

Lex Luthier
12-31-2020, 11:15 PM
Ok, money order sent for the pistol. Bullets ordered. Brass being donated by a generous forum member. I have primers and 8lbs of BE-86. JM Custom AIWB holster ordered from Tony Mayer. Safariland OWB ordered. I still need speedloaders and speedloader carriers. What else?

Dummy rounds. And maybe a big silver and turquoise belt buckle. ;)

Congrats on the new revolver!

LittleLebowski
12-31-2020, 11:16 PM
Dummy rounds. And maybe a big silver and turquoise belt buckle. ;)

Congrats on the new revolver!

I’ve got a nifty Freedom Arms .22 derringer belt buckle...

Totem Polar
12-31-2020, 11:26 PM
I’ve got a nifty Freedom Arms .22 derringer belt buckle...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e6/54/5d/e6545d9bb8d0e79864a79cc8f196fd55.jpg

BehindBlueI's
01-01-2021, 08:08 AM

Speed strips. They are the flattest and easiest to conceal reload available and allow for partial reloads, something speed loaders do not do. I generally carry one of each when I carry a revolver.

JAD
01-01-2021, 08:46 AM

A Boelke/Dobbs class. A lot of B8 centers. A means of staying hydrated.

revchuck38
01-01-2021, 09:11 AM
A Boelke/Dobbs class. A lot of B8 centers. A means of staying hydrated.

Unfortunately for us, both of those guys are working full time now. I haven't heard any hints of upcoming classes. +1 on the other recommendations.

Stephanie B
01-01-2021, 09:53 AM
Deleted. Frigging software keeps flipping the frelling image.

mmc45414
01-01-2021, 10:08 AM
These VZ grips look pretty cool.
Oooooo, now Do-Want for my SP-101...

Sometimes when I am using a pic from my phone it does those shenanigans and I get around it by orientating it the way I want on the computer and then use the Snipping Tool too to just get another file that doesn't have that underlying data that keeps flipping it around. Cause we do wanna see your picture of your cool stuff :cool:

BN
01-01-2021, 10:26 AM
What else?

A toothbrush and an oversized chamber brush.

How to bubberize your Comp lll loaders. https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/27520-comp-iii-modification/

JAD
01-01-2021, 11:00 AM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/one-day-defensive-revolver-course-tx-tickets-100979534506?ref=eios

Fly in to Dallas, meet Serious and several others at Hard 8, drive down to Lincoln. Fucking avoid Austin, it sucks. See if you can get HCM to come up.

There’s also one in Racine in July; the Dells are fun for the whole family in the summer.

HeavyDuty
01-01-2021, 11:11 AM
Speed strips. They are the flattest and easiest to conceal reload available and allow for partial reloads, something speed loaders do not do. I generally carry one of each when I carry a revolver.

That reminds me - my 30+ year old Bianchi Speed Strips (https://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-1014010-Speed-Strip-Caliber/dp/B000JVKLTU/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2NACHRT6ETNIR&dchild=1&keywords=bianchi+speed+strips&qid=1609520327&sprefix=Bianchi+spe%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-1) are starting to get hard and whitish, so I’m thinking it’s time to order replacements before they disintegrate. Are Bianchi still the gold standard?

Lon
01-01-2021, 11:19 AM
That reminds me - my 30+ year old Bianchi Speed Strips are starting to get hard and whitish, so I’m thinking it’s time to order replacements before they disintegrate. Are Bianchi still the gold standard?

I’ve got some tuff products 8 round ones (https://www.amazon.com/Products-Speed-Quick-Revolver-Loader/dp/B01EINA3GU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2XSNO76X0AGSY&dchild=1&keywords=tuff+speed+strip&qid=1609520184&sprefix=Tuff+speed+%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-5) that are pretty nice.

Stephanie B
01-01-2021, 11:28 AM

Sometimes when I am using a pic from my phone it does those shenanigans and I get around it by orientating it the way I want on the computer and then use the Snipping Tool too to just get another file that doesn't have that underlying data that keeps flipping it around. Cause we do wanna see your picture of your cool stuff :cool:

OK, let’s see how it works.

ETA: Where to buy them (https://www.copquest.com/safariland-371-five-or-split-six-pouches_23-4329.htm).

revchuck38
01-01-2021, 11:31 AM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/one-day-defensive-revolver-course-tx-tickets-100979534506?ref=eios

Fly in to Dallas, meet Serious and several others at Hard 8, drive down to Lincoln. Fucking avoid Austin, it sucks. See if you can get HCM to come up.

There’s also one in Racine in July; the Dells are fun for the whole family in the summer.

I'm already signed up for that course. I'd drive up to Dallas to meet everyone and eat at Hard 8 if that's going to happen.

Stephanie B
01-01-2021, 11:33 AM
A toothbrush and an oversized chamber brush.

I cheap out and use .40/10mm brushes.

Stephanie B
01-01-2021, 11:36 AM
That reminds me - my 30+ year old Bianchi Speed Strips are starting to get hard and whitish, so I’m thinking it’s time to order replacements before they disintegrate. Are Bianchi still the gold standard?

I use the Tuff Products 8-round ones (https://www.amazon.com/Products-Speed-Quick-Revolver-Loader/dp/B01EINA3GU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2XSNO76X0AGSY&dchild=1&keywords=tuff+speed+strip&qid=1609520184&sprefix=Tuff+speed+%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-5) so that I can load in six with a space between each pair.