PDA

View Full Version : The Virginia State IDPA Championship is over

cclaxton
06-24-2012, 07:52 PM
A great match with excellent weather, well-run, well-attended, great barbeque, free soda and water, and "barrels" of fun.

Rob Tate, fellow Virginian, winner of Master SSP at Carolina Cup also takes Division Champ of Master SSP at Virginia State.
Morgan Allen (Team ITI), winner of multiple IDPA titles, is Master ESP and the fastest time of 205.75s. Morgan placed 4th at Carolina Cup...Congrats to Morgan.
Tom Carpenter, established Grand Master in other disciplines, takes Division Champ for CDP Division.

Full Results are here: http://clubs.beachbunnysoftware.com/kettlefoot/2012-06-23.htm

For me, two HNT's and two Procedurals and being generally slow put my chances of a bump to Sharpshooter into the future. But, got to shoot with my two IDPA friends and got in a bike ride on the Creeper Trail the day before the match, and live-fire practice in their backyard. Got to go down State Street in Bristol and be in Tenn and VA at same time. And, I had great time shooting the COF and enjoying their fantastic venue and the barbeque, and watching the experts and masters do their sport. Wow...it was fun. I have a longer list of things to work on...but I am glad I know what they are now.

One COF to note:
Stage 1: Standing in front of window, take cover and shoot four static targets and two steel poppers. Each popper triggers a dual-rotating target with the non-threat in the front and the threat behind it, swinging at asynchronous rates and only seen from the left or right of the barricade to the left or right of the window...about 5 feet either side. After taking out the ones through the windows, go left and shoot rotating target and another static target only seen at an acute angle from cover far side right. Then, go to right side of barricade and take out second rotating target that by that time is barely moving, but leaves just enough of the head exposed to take head shots, then acute angle static target to the left.

Lots of stages had opportunity to get cover calls, zig zags that temp you to move towards one target but get exposed to another. There was a LOT of long and medium distance shooting...one had to be 30 yards. No retention, no weak hand, and no prone, but they made up for it in other ways.

Well worth the weekend and the trip.

Next up: Another chance at the Independence Match in Wilkes-Barre, PA on July 13.

Ciao.
CC