PDA

View Full Version : Adapting a 10/22 for my son

theJanitor
11-15-2020, 09:19 PM
My 7yo son got behind a rifle for the first time today, and he loved it. And I loved that he loved it. He shot an old 10/22 target that was languishing in the back of my safe. Now I want to reconfigure it for him. I think he needs a Pistol grip (to shorten the trigger reach) and a way shorter LOP

What stocks can anyone recommend to get me a more adaptable gun for the next few years?

If the answer is to buy a new gun, I’m all for it, but supply is sh*t.

Thanks

littlejerry
11-15-2020, 09:26 PM
Axiom 10/22 stock is cheap, uses adjustable AR stocks for short LOP, and is very light. A friend set up his 10/22 this way for his kids to shoot steel challenge. Along with a Holosuns red dot.

If you want a new gun the 15/22 is a good option. Short LOP, light, easy.

theJanitor
11-15-2020, 09:36 PM
Axiom 10/22 stock is cheap, uses adjustable AR stocks for short LOP, and is very light. A friend set up his 10/22 this way for his kids to shoot steel challenge. Along with a Holosuns red dot.

If you want a new gun the 15/22 is a good option. Short LOP, light, easy.

I just saw the MAGPUL one and the grip is fairly vertical. And LOP can get down to 12.5”

littlejerry
11-15-2020, 09:41 PM
I just saw the MAGPUL one and the grip is fairly vertical. And LOP can get down to 12.5”

12.5 is still fairly long for a youth stock, and the magpul is pretty heavy.

It's definitely a nicer stock for an adult, but if you actually need a youth stock the Axiom is a better choice.

BN
11-15-2020, 09:50 PM
Takeoff 10-22 stocks are cheap. People buy a 10-22 rifle to "build" and take off the barrel, stock etc. I've seen them for $25 or $35. Save your original for later and chop off the replacement. There are also a lot of replacement stock available.

imp1295
11-15-2020, 11:33 PM
I think I have one of these stocks that I've swapped for a Hogue overmold.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ruger-10-22-tactical-talo-special-edition-semi-auto-rimfire-rifle

If you are patient and can wait for about 9-days until I'm back at the home-base I'll give it to you for what you think is fair.

I switched it out once my little one could handle a standard stock.

mrozowjj
11-16-2020, 12:25 AM
Takeoff 10-22 stocks are cheap. People buy a 10-22 rifle to "build" and take off the barrel, stock etc. I've seen them for $25 or $35. Save your original for later and chop off the replacement. There are also a lot of replacement stock available.

This is definitely the cheapest/easiest option. People sell their take off stocks cheap and you can always cut one to fit him now and put the one you have on it now back on it.

LOKNLOD
11-16-2020, 12:39 AM
i have no idea what the search term to find it is, but I think we had a long thread here about a 10/22 custom cut down stock back in the early days of the forum.

maximus83
11-16-2020, 01:32 PM
If you can wait just a little longer, KRG Bravo is supposed to be available any time now, you can pre-order at places like the following. Has the pistol grip and will allow adjust for youth LOP.

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/1022bravo-chassis-rimfire/
https://snyderprecision.com/krg-10-22-bravo-preorder/

theJanitor
11-16-2020, 02:04 PM
If you can wait just a little longer, KRG Bravo is supposed to be available any time now, you can pre-order at places like the following. Has the pistol grip and will allow adjust for youth LOP.

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/1022bravo-chassis-rimfire/
https://snyderprecision.com/krg-10-22-bravo-preorder/

Think it's gonna happen on schedule? I need to get cracking on this, soon.

maximus83
11-16-2020, 02:11 PM
At the second link I listed, you can actually pre-order now. Call Bravo or that place to see if they have an ETA.

BN
11-16-2020, 02:29 PM
A KRG Bravo with no spacers isn't really short enough for a 7 year old.

littlejerry
11-16-2020, 02:42 PM

And probably too heavy.

BN
11-16-2020, 03:00 PM

I've got this old single shot that I just cut some off the stock with a hack saw. It's not pretty but a bunch of kids learned on it.

maximus83
11-16-2020, 03:21 PM

He's setting up a 10-22 target gun with the bull barrel, it won't be light anyway, and the Bravo 10/22 is specifically made with 11.5" LOP for youth shooters.

peterb
11-16-2020, 03:22 PM
Many used 10/22 stocks on eBay, some on Gunbroker. Wood is easy to modify as needed.

maximus83
11-16-2020, 03:31 PM
Think it's gonna happen on schedule? I need to get cracking on this, soon.

Another option which is immediately available, will have good buttstock adjustability due to an AR buttstock system, and is lighter than the Bravo or the Magpul synthetic--is the Kidd tactical chassis.

https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Tactical-Chassis_p_214.html

I have one of these, total weight of configured chassis with Magpul CTR buttstock and pistol grip, 2 lbs. I love this thing, it's my favorite 10/22 setup and can adjust buttstock for kids to shoot, plus it contributes to the accuracy of my bull-barreled 10/22 by having a rear screw for anchoring the action in the receiver. Downside is total cost if you're trying to keep cost down, by the time you get chassis, buttstock, and grip, you'll be into it for high 200's or over 300. 10/22's are a money pit. :cool: But it's a great stock and fits your requirements, while keeping total weight about a pound lighter than most target stocks, which start at around 3lb.

Dan_S
11-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Cut down one of the birch stocks, or get a Magpul.

farscott
11-16-2020, 05:13 PM
The Hogue stocks have pretty short LOP as well as being fairly light. I use them on my lightweight 10/22 builds.

DamonL
11-16-2020, 05:33 PM
Cut your current stock to a shorter LOP with the idea of replacing it in a few years with a Magpul or KRG when your kids are bigger.

mrozowjj
11-17-2020, 10:53 PM
I just found this chasis by Taccom

https://taccom3g.com/product/ulw-chassis-and-buttstock-for-ruger-10-22-22lr/

I'm seriously thinking about getting one for my iron sight 10/22 because the chasis by itself is only 12.2oz which is crazy light; it will end up a bit heavier once you factor in the pistol grip, stock tube and stock.

Interesting it takes a standard AR buffer tube but you can get their stock with it with the shortest LOP being 10.375"

DoubleDawg
11-18-2020, 01:12 AM
The stock on the stainless carbine model is quite short and fit my 7 yo well. Might keep an eye out for a take off.

theJanitor
11-18-2020, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys.

The stock I have now is a discontinued model, that the forearm folds down, releases a clamp and allows the barrel to be removed without tools. I have a cheap simmons scope on it with Leupold QD rings. It breaks down into a fairly tidy package. I put it together years ago, well before the take-down model was introduced. In light of that, I don't want to modify that stock. I don't even know where the laminated factory stock is, so no chance of modifying it.

What I've decided on is to configure an upper that's sitting on the side with a BCM rail, and an Eotech XPS sight. I already have a new conversion kit and about ten mags, that's been sitting in a box for years. I've got alot of plated 22 which shouldn't foul up the bore. The AR configuration will allow for a pistol grip, which his hands will work easier with, and a short LOP due to the collapsing stock. The shorter XPS sight will suit his head size better and allow him to focus on aiming, and pulling the trigger. Later we'll move on to a variable sight, and he will have to manage eye relief and those nuances. But for now, "put the red dot on the target and pull the trigger". I'm not worried about weight, as the only place I can take him shooting right now is the public range, so bench or prone shooting only. We're only humping this from the truck to the bench.

And most of all, his rifle will look like Daddy's. Which means alot to the kid.

I'm actually headed to the bench to start this conversion, in a few

Quantrill
11-19-2020, 11:45 PM
I chopped a wood stock off and made a butt plate out of kydex for my 9 y/o son and did the axiom stock and Tac Sol barrel for my 7 y/o daughter. Both used that set up for Rimfire (steel) challenge.

HCM
11-20-2020, 12:49 AM
Not a 10/22 but my LGS got one of these in yesterday:

https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/product/ksa-9130-mini-mosin-rifle-only/

It’s a cricket bolt gun fixed up like a mini Mosin Nagsnt.

Duelist
11-20-2020, 11:08 AM

I've got this old single shot that I just cut some off the stock with a hack saw. It's not pretty but a bunch of kids learned on it.

My two learned on a Marlin 15YN. First one did fine with the factory irons, second could barely understand the theory of them, let alone put it into practice. I put a nice little fixed 4x (Weaver? Redfield? Something like that - it’s been in the back of the safe for years) on it and he learned well enough that when a nice gentleman at the range let him try his micro .223 bolt action, he hit the 100yd gong with all three rounds. When I put his scrawny little butt on a scoped 6.8 AR carbine for his first hunt, he was shooting very good groups from his first time on the rifle.

And now he never shoots anything. Sigh. At least he doesn’t chase girls. It would be terrible if I ever had to become a grandfather.

4given
11-20-2020, 04:29 PM

My kids learned on a single shot Cricket. I am teaching my Grandkids with a single shot Savage Rascal. I will introduce them to the 10/22 when it fits them. I find it easier to teach marksmanship with a single shot. The .243 comes out when it's time for them to harvest their first deer.

BobM
11-20-2020, 07:34 PM
My two learned on a Marlin 15YN. First one did fine with the factory irons, second could barely understand the theory of them, let alone put it into practice. I put a nice little fixed 4x (Weaver? Redfield? Something like that - it’s been in the back of the safe for years) on it and he learned well enough that when a nice gentleman at the range let him try his micro .223 bolt action, he hit the 100yd gong with all three rounds. When I put his scrawny little butt on a scoped 6.8 AR carbine for his first hunt, he was shooting very good groups from his first time on the rifle.

And now he never shoots anything. Sigh. At least he doesn’t chase girls. It would be terrible if I ever had to become a grandfather.

About 20 years ago I bought my daughter a Marlin 15YN. I had to cut the stock down 1 1/2 or two inches. She didn’t get iron sights either so I scoped it and she enjoyed shooting it. When she got older I got a new stock for it. If I get grandchildren I’ll start them out on it.

theJanitor
11-20-2020, 07:55 PM
I bought an XPS; just waiting for it to arrive. We'll shoot steel, and his instruction will be, "put the dot on the target and pull the trigger" I think the best thing for my son's personality is to let him have fun. And fun will be seeing swingers, swing. We can get technical later. Right now I just want him to have a blast

I think a semi and a eotech that's forgiving in window size, fov, and head position will get us having more fun, sooner

UNK
11-27-2020, 10:29 PM
I bought an XPS; just waiting for it to arrive. We'll shoot steel, and his instruction will be, "put the dot on the target and pull the trigger" I think the best thing for my son's personality is to let him have fun. And fun will be seeing swingers, swing. We can get technical later. Right now I just want him to have a blast

I think a semi and a eotech that's forgiving in window size, fov, and head position will get us having more fun, sooner

Fun times for sure. Some nifty targets out there for kids. One I remember had flies of all different sizes printed randomly all over the paper. Working on accuracy while still keeping it fun.