PDA

View Full Version : I’m going old school for hunting next weekend

LittleLebowski
11-14-2020, 10:46 PM
Woobie long underwear! I’d forgotten about these, great kit, especially if you know of the glory of the poncho liner, best issued gear in the US military.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013XSQZDG

gtmtnbiker98
11-15-2020, 05:48 AM
Woobie long underwear! I’d forgotten about these, great kit, especially if you know of the glory of the poncho liner, best issued gear in the US military.

I still have my poncho liner.

revchuck38
11-15-2020, 06:28 AM
But do you have the field pants that go with them?

RJ
11-15-2020, 07:58 AM
Be careful, Sire. Remember King Robert was gored by a boar in that forest, only last name-day. Perhaps you should take your new blade from ‘Sveden’, Stihl Cleaver, lest your stout companions fail you.

TOTS
11-15-2020, 08:29 AM
I still have my poncho liner.

Wish I did. Best I could do is the 782 gear (h-harness,warbelt, canteens, etc) and poncho. I do have the best ancillaries like the original ifak box and buttpack that connect with the steel clips too.

Upon reflection this admittance only dates me rather than makes me sound cool.

LittleLebowski
11-15-2020, 08:48 AM
I should get another field jacket liner...

rcbusmc24
11-15-2020, 08:56 AM

Let me know what you need. I'm still stuck in a land overflowing with field jacket liners...

UNM1136
11-15-2020, 09:20 AM
Might not be a bad idear...I have hanging on a hook by the door an old Night Desert Parka that I originally wanted to make a ghille suit out of for bow hunting.

pat

LittleLebowski
11-15-2020, 09:43 AM
Let me know what you need. I'm still stuck in a land overflowing with field jacket liners...

I might do that. At least you’re not still using Gumby suits :D

ranger
11-15-2020, 09:57 AM

As long as you do not wear the field jacket........

Flamingo
11-15-2020, 10:17 AM
I call my field jacket liner as my "smoking jacket" and use it when I sit on the back porch with a stogie.

gtmtnbiker98
11-15-2020, 10:27 AM
Wish I did. Best I could do is the 782 gear (h-harness,warbelt, canteens, etc) and poncho. I do have the best ancillaries like the original ifak box and buttpack that connect with the steel clips too.

Upon reflection this admittance only dates me rather than makes me sound cool.

LOL, did you keep the flak jacket, too? 3/8 Marine 1988-1994.

LittleLebowski
11-15-2020, 10:28 AM
LOL, did you keep the flak jacket, too? 3/8 Marine 1988-1994.

I don’t ever want to see a flak again. Too much swimming in one.

awp_101
11-15-2020, 12:15 PM
Bah, it's not old school unless you're going with duck hunter camo...

Marine Raiders gathered in front of a Japanese dugout on Cape Totkina on Bougainville, Soloman Islands Jan 1944

okie john
11-15-2020, 12:20 PM

Marine Raiders gathered in front of a Japanese dugout on Cape Totkina on Bougainville, Soloman Islands Jan 1944

I'd like to hear the story behind that 1903 Springfield on the front row.

Okie John

rcbusmc24
11-15-2020, 12:30 PM
I'd like to hear the story behind that 1903 Springfield on the front row.

Okie John

Early in the war 1903s were still in use, later on some were kept to launch rifle grenades....

revchuck38
11-15-2020, 01:07 PM
Early in the war 1903s were still in use, later on some were kept to launch rifle grenades....

Legend has it that USMC brass was dead set against adopting the Garand until Guadalcanal. They went ashore with Springfields and were reinforced by the 164th Infantry Regiment which was armed with Garands. Once the Marines saw the Garand in action, the Marines did some midnight requisitioning, which was the only way they could get them. Don’t know how accurate that legend is. :)

okie john
11-15-2020, 01:36 PM

I'm wondering if maybe that guy was a dedicated marksman, but I don't see an optic in that rifle.

Okie John

ccmdfd
11-15-2020, 03:04 PM
I'm reminded of this, taken from the memes thread.( or perhaps a different thread, I can't recall.)

TOTS
11-15-2020, 03:25 PM

Hell no!!! The liner was awesome but the jacket sucked. When it got wet, then you were wet AND cold. My brother still wears one. With his beard, it makes him look homeless. As rcbusmc24 can attest to, standard issue gear of now is amazing compared to the past. The rucks and sleeping system as well as the cold weather gear is good stuff even when compared to COTS gear. I do prefer the gen 1/2 Goretex parkas though. I’m still looking for one; gave mine to my brother.

PS; found this if anyone wants it:)

LittleLebowski
11-15-2020, 03:27 PM
Field jackets are very warm until they get wet.

RevolverRob
11-15-2020, 05:15 PM

I love my field jacket and liner....

I really want to get a field jacket made out of horsehide and have the liner made with snaps and proper pockets (for when worn outside the jacket).

Stephanie B
11-15-2020, 06:52 PM

"Old school"? You're not wearing bearskins and carrying an atlatl?

LHS
11-15-2020, 07:10 PM
I used to have a couple sets of the Woodland-pattern field pants that went over those liners. Best outdoor pants I ever owned. Wish I could find some that fit my middle-aged waistline.

BobM
11-15-2020, 08:25 PM

I have one of the Thinsulate liners that Brigade Quartermaster used to sell. It’s warmer than the surplus one.

rcbusmc24
11-15-2020, 08:26 PM
I'm wondering if maybe that guy was a dedicated marksman, but I don't see an optic in that rifle.

Okie John

Bougainville was early enough in the war that the 1903 was still the standard issue rifle, even among the raiders, pre war Marines were particularly proud of their ability to run that rifle and worked at it. Expert rifle pay was nothing to sneer at either then. Kinda wish they would bring that back. The schools at Quantico sent a detachment to the Grand trials when the army did them and the participants came away impressed with the Garand. However, at that time they knew that they would only get them once the army had all they wanted. When the units that landed on Guadalcanal were relieved and went to Australia to start training for the next landings is when most recieved their Garands. Many were "liberated" from the army on Guadalcanal and had to be recollected when the Marines boarded the landing craft back to the transports. Many Reising submachine guns were dumped over the sides of those same landing craft ....

BobM
11-15-2020, 08:27 PM

My daughter got me a Filson cap in the duck hunting camo. I keep hoping that pattern will become popular again, I’d like to have some to hunt in

okie john
11-15-2020, 09:10 PM
Bougainville was early enough in the war that the 1903 was still the standard issue rifle, even among the raiders, pre war Marines were particularly proud of their ability to run that rifle and worked at it. Expert rifle pay was nothing to sneer at either then. Kinda wish they would bring that back. The schools at Quantico sent a detachment to the Grand trials when the army did them and the participants came away impressed with the Garand. However, at that time they knew that they would only get them once the army had all they wanted. When the units that landed on Guadalcanal were relieved and went to Australia to start training for the next landings is when most recieved their Garands. Many were "liberated" from the army on Guadalcanal and had to be recollected when the Marines boarded the landing craft back to the transports. Many Reising submachine guns were dumped over the sides of those same landing craft ....

Not surprising.

My grandfather was in G/328 and knew Alvin York personally since they were both Alabama boys. He never talked much about combat but he did talk about military life. My father did get to hear those stories, and he maintains that York could have been armed with a 1903 Springfield when he won the MoH. It seems that G/328 had been issued M1917 Enfields but some men preferred the 03 because it was shorter and lighter, and because they had grown up shooting open sights and didn't care for the 1917's peep sights. At one point, some G/328 troops stopped at a cook's tent to eat. After the meal, a detail went behind the tent, probably to wash dishes, and noticed two 1903s leaning up against a tree. When the unit moved out, two Enfields were leaning up against the tree.

Allegedly.

Okie John

wvincent
11-16-2020, 01:06 AM
Unless you're eating green eggs out of a Mermite can, you're just LARPing.:eek::D
Bonus cool points if you drink your coffee out of a canteen cup.;)

BobM
11-16-2020, 08:08 AM
I’m on my way to a wildlife area to hike around with a shotgun hoping to kick up a stray pheasant from a recent release. I’m wearing a GI surplus 5 button wool sweater, probably one of the most practical surplus items I own. I also have a n old Saf-T-Back canvas coat to put over it.

gtmtnbiker98
11-16-2020, 08:47 AM
Unless you're eating green eggs out of a Mermite can, you're just LARPing.:eek::D
Bonus cool points if you drink your coffee out of a canteen cup.;)

Extra bonus points if you heated that coffee with heat tabs, using said canteen cup.

okie john
11-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Extra bonus points if you heated that coffee with heat tabs, using said canteen cup.

And inadvertently inhaled the fumes.

Okie John

LittleLebowski
11-16-2020, 12:07 PM
"Old school"? You're not wearing bearskins and carrying an atlatl?

If you wanted pics of me in only bearskins, all you had to do was ask.

gtmtnbiker98
11-16-2020, 06:09 PM
And inadvertently inhaled the fumes.

Okie John

Same as CS!

TQP
11-16-2020, 06:41 PM
I’m on my way to a wildlife area to hike around with a shotgun hoping to kick up a stray pheasant from a recent release. I’m wearing a GI surplus 5 button wool sweater, probably one of the most practical surplus items I own. I also have a n old Saf-T-Back canvas coat to put over it.

I miss that sweater.

I took a carbine class this fall, had absolutely no luck finding mag pouches anywhere and ended up running class with one of the old snap-top single 20 pouches. I wore it on my pants belt, tucked the flap behind my belt, and it did the job. Held a 30 securely enough for the limited amount of movement we were doing, and there was plenty of mag sticking out the top to grab.