PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 Gen5.....which Backstrap does it come with installed?

Lalez
11-13-2020, 05:30 PM
Hey guys sorry for the noobish question I've been a Sig and Beretta guy for years but with everything going on in the world I felt I needed to add a G19 to the stable (AF parts, mag availability etc etc...)

In the case I see that I have a "M" and a "L" strap but I've seen conflicting info elsewhere if what it comes with is actually considered the small or "S" backstrap

Also what is your recommendation for switching these out the smoothest/easiest way

Thanks

RancidSumo
11-13-2020, 05:33 PM
It comes with no backstrap installed. To install one, drive out the pin, install the desired backstrap, replace the pin with the longer one attached to the backstrap tool.

HCM
11-13-2020, 05:33 PM
Hey guys sorry for the noobish question I've been a Sig and Beretta guy for years but with everything going on in the world I felt I needed to add a G19 to the stable (AF parts, mag availability etc etc...)

In the case I see that I have a "M" and a "L" strap but I've seen conflicting info elsewhere if what it comes with is actually considered the small or "S" backstrap

Also what is your recommendation for switching these out the smoothest/easiest way

Thanks

There is no back strap installed.,the basic gen4/5 grip with no back strap is the “small.”

The gun comes with two large back straps and two medium back straps, one of each size with and without the Beavertail.

RJ
11-13-2020, 05:35 PM
Mine came with nothing installed, but that was four years ago, and one of the early production models.

I believe that you'll see an M and a L beavertail, as well as an M and a L grip module without the beavertail. Any of the four can be installed. I believe "S" is basically "with nothing installed."

What I do is to get a roll of tape (e.g. duct tape or painters tape), lay the gun facing left. I then use a Glock Armorer's tool (3/16" punch I think it is) to push the rear most plastic pin out. I then attach the selected panel, hooking the bottom first, then squeezing the upper pretty hard to get the holes to line up. I use hand pressure and squeeze the grip hard as I push the pin in with the Glock tool. I turn the tool sideways to the hole, to coax the pin in the final 1/2 mm or so. Turning the tool sideways prevents it from going in too far, as it's caught by the grip once it reaches the right spot in the grip.

There is a second, larger plastic pin that comes hidden on the little "tree" that the panels are stored in the box. Use that one if you install one of those panels, and save the smaller pin, in case you decide to remove the panel again.

I am not a Glock armorer; just done it a few times. I would be glad if someone who knows can post the correct procedure.

Lalez
11-13-2020, 10:34 PM
Mine came with nothing installed, but that was four years ago, and one of the early production models.

I believe that you'll see an M and a L beavertail, as well as an M and a L grip module without the beavertail. Any of the four can be installed. I believe "S" is basically "with nothing installed."

What I do is to get a roll of tape (e.g. duct tape or painters tape), lay the gun facing left. I then use a Glock Armorer's tool (3/16" punch I think it is) to push the rear most plastic pin out. I then attach the selected panel, hooking the bottom first, then squeezing the upper pretty hard to get the holes to line up. I use hand pressure and squeeze the grip hard as I push the pin in with the Glock tool. I turn the tool sideways to the hole, to coax the pin in the final 1/2 mm or so. Turning the tool sideways prevents it from going in too far, as it's caught by the grip once it reaches the right spot in the grip.

There is a second, larger plastic pin that comes hidden on the little "tree" that the panels are stored in the box. Use that one if you install one of those panels, and save the smaller pin, in case you decide to remove the panel again.

I am not a Glock armorer; just done it a few times. I would be glad if someone who knows can post the correct procedure.

Thanks for the tips!!! Appreciate it guys