PDA

View Full Version : HER

Bigguy
11-12-2020, 05:44 PM
And so it begins. The end of humanity as we stop breeding with each other.

TheNewbie
11-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Ewww.....

Call Andrew from Reno 911.

the Schwartz
11-12-2020, 06:06 PM
And so it begins. The end of humanity as we stop breeding with each other.

Still waiting for the alimony 'app'—where she gets half of all your assets after she finds ''someone who fulfills her more''—that transfers your funds to an off-shore banking account to give her that ''real'' quality.

snow white
11-12-2020, 06:16 PM
But can we bang tho?

5pins
Stuff like this is why the Japanese population is dropping.

BehindBlueI's
I've said that the day someone invents the "holodeck" from Star Trek in real life that'll be the end of humanity. Your own pocket dimension in which you are essentially a god (as long as the electricity stays on), how many people are going to be able to leave that?

snow white
11-12-2020, 06:18 PM
I've said that the day someone invents the "holodeck" from Star Trek in real life that'll be the end of humanity. Your own pocket dimension in which you are essentially a god (as long as the electricity stays on), how many people are going to be able to leave that?
Thier is a next gen episode dealing with that exact issue.

Greg
11-12-2020, 06:36 PM
Reminds me of this > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(bot)

Joe in PNG
11-12-2020, 06:39 PM

Pretty much the plot to the old short story "The Machine Stops (http://www.visbox.com/prajlich/forster.html)".

Blades
11-12-2020, 06:59 PM
Replika has been out for a few years. I tried it and found it annoying.

5pins
11-12-2020, 07:15 PM
Reminds me of the movie "Her" with Joaquin Phoenix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798709/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJTU48_yghs

JRB
11-12-2020, 07:29 PM
Stuff like this is why the Japanese population is dropping.

This is a symptom, not the disease.

Simply put, more and more young men get their careers on track, and then look at the overall costs and risks of getting married and they decide that it's just not worth it.

Why would you want to be the husband that's always wrong, as seen in literally every commercial of the 21st century?
Why would you want to continually 'compromise' on everything until finally doing what you want costs you half your shit and half of your future earnings?

It's a pervasive cultural shift and there needs to be a balance struck to find true equality in courtship, relationships, and marriage - because the current path has just traded one marginalized party for another.

NEPAKevin
11-12-2020, 07:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W7z5BuiYyo

Tackleberry40sw
11-12-2020, 08:29 PM
https://youtu.be/BR542tQhXJo

JAD
11-12-2020, 08:48 PM

All of the ones that are worth carrying on with.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45364/the-lotos-eaters

Tennyson was a useless tit.

Bio
11-12-2020, 08:52 PM

There's a just okay sci-fi book called "The Unincorporated Man" that as part of its backstop is the "VR apocalypse" where population levels plunge and society in some locales falls apart because people become so engrossed in their virtual worlds.

revchuck38
11-12-2020, 09:06 PM

If we get to wear those cool clothes, it'd be tempting. I was probably born fifty years too late.

Stephanie B
11-12-2020, 09:45 PM
I want a replicator.

“Gimme a quarter-kilo of poached Atlantic salmon, steamed veggies on the side, a dinner roll with butter. Oh, and a Smith & Wesson Model 27 with a 3.5” barrel, if you please.”

Duke
11-12-2020, 10:13 PM
Meh

The Phrase “dumb as fuck” is an extremely accurate description for life imo.

Even the dumbest creatures will continue to multiply. Robot sex dolls or not

Maple Syrup Actual
11-12-2020, 11:43 PM
You ever played a video game on god mode?

It gets very boring, very fast.

I don't think sex dolls and holodecks are going to be as big a threat as they seem.

gkieser92
11-13-2020, 01:58 AM
Lex Fridman had the Replika developer on his podcast. She came up with the idea out of the lonliness she experienced after her fried suddenly died. Basically millenials are extremely socially isolated and the majority have few if any friends. One of the main concerns is people being abusive to AI without consequences, which may translate into antisocial behavior in person.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hambo
11-13-2020, 06:03 AM
I want a replicator.

“Gimme a quarter-kilo of poached Atlantic salmon, steamed veggies on the side, a dinner roll with butter. Oh, and a Smith & Wesson Model 27 with a 3.5” barrel, if you please.”

An electronic Genie and you ask it for dinner? Oy.

"Gimme a kilo of cocaine, a pair of 3.5" Registered Models in a Miami Classic, an Armani jacket, hold the socks." :cool:

eb07
11-13-2020, 07:34 AM
Cherry 2000 was way better

Half Moon
11-13-2020, 08:05 AM
https://youtu.be/wJ6knaienVE

BobLoblaw
11-13-2020, 08:16 AM
This shit will never ever work out. I can't seem to fit my penis in my phone.

Stephanie B
11-13-2020, 08:26 AM
An electronic Genie and you ask it for dinner? Oy.

"Siri, make 100 rounds of .357, Starline brass, Federal primers, 6.5 grains of Unique powder, hard cast 158 grain Keith-style semi-wadcutter."

On the other hand, how desirable will a Registered Magnum be if they can be perfectly counterfeited?

A replicator would put an end to cash. And to the ATF.

BehindBlueI's
11-13-2020, 08:43 AM
You ever played a video game on god mode?

It gets very boring, very fast.

I don't think sex dolls and holodecks are going to be as big a threat as they seem.

A holodeck isn't a video game, though. It's a new reality. Want to travel to Paris? You're there. Want to time travel to the World Fair that the Eiffel Tower was built for in Paris? You're there. Want to learn to be a samurai? You're in feudal japan with a master willing to teach you. God mode on a video game removes all challenge to the endeavor. A holodeck reality, especially with AI, can tailor the difficult to you. It'd be like reincarnation, but with memory.

Personally, new and novel experiences are high on my list of "most valuable things to attain". I don't think I'm unique in that.

Hambo
11-13-2020, 08:49 AM
"Siri, make 100 rounds of .357, Starline brass, Federal primers, 6.5 grains of Unique powder, hard cast 158 grain Keith-style semi-wadcutter."

On the other hand, how desirable will a Registered Magnum be if they can be perfectly counterfeited?

A replicator would put an end to cash. And to the ATF.

Not desirable; obtainable. ;)

A holodeck isn't a video game, though. It's a new reality. Want to travel to Paris? You're there. Want to time travel to the World Fair that the Eiffel Tower was built for in Paris? You're there. Want to learn to be a samurai? You're in feudal japan with a master willing to teach you. God mode on a video game removes all challenge to the endeavor. A holodeck reality, especially with AI, can tailor the difficult to you. It'd be like reincarnation, but with memory.

Personally, new and novel experiences are high on my list of "most valuable things to attain". I don't think I'm unique in that.

Getting closer every day. https://www.timelooper.com/

Bigghoss
11-13-2020, 08:58 AM
If aliens ever want to take over earth, all they have to do is perfect sex robots. Everything humanity has done was either to score or killing time until the next time they scored.

UNM1136
11-13-2020, 09:53 AM
This is a symptom, not the disease.

Simply put, more and more young men get their careers on track, and then look at the overall costs and risks of getting married and they decide that it's just not worth it.

Why would you want to be the husband that's always wrong, as seen in literally every commercial of the 21st century?
Why would you want to continually 'compromise' on everything until finally doing what you want costs you half your shit and half of your future earnings?

It's a pervasive cultural shift and there needs to be a balance struck to find true equality in courtship, relationships, and marriage - because the current path has just traded one marginalized party for another.

Off topic:

The last time I was in Japan I was in the communal kitchen of our student hostel fixing dinner one night and sharing whiskey with my (then) student and a former Kiwi .mil sniper type. As I was cooking I heard Steve the Kiwi say "oooh! Here it is....Turn it up! Turn it up." The television volume went up in the corner and I watched mystified as there was a television commercial that showed a sad little Japanese man buying what I was told were tampons, holding a woman's purse while sitting on a shopping mall bench, and then goes to the same man very happy digging into a huge pile of yakiniku and the caption on the screen cause my two international martial arts travelers to almost piss themselves in a drunken, roaring laughter. I had to wait, as the only non-speaker, to be told that the caption and the voiceover were in a muy manly baritone boomed out "at least you can eat like a man!"

Same trip, I was almost 30 (by weeks) and we had to trainhop to get from the stix (at least two of the dojos we were training in regularly had the hole cut in the floor into a pit for the facilities, one was an honest to God outhouse in a barley field) during rush hour to get to the Tokyo Budokan for class. Packed in like sardines, carrying staffs and swords, bokken, and workout gear, wearing gi pants and a Albuquerque dojo t-shirt this business woman in a leopard print jacket, leather mini skirt, tights, and carrying a messenger bag was in front of me. As more people got on the train this poor, petite little thing was pushed into me more and more until I was positive her ass could feel just how attractive I thought she was. Even the smell of cigarette smoke in her hair did not have the normal off putting effect on me. After about 15 minutes people started getting off the train and this woman stayed pressed up against me utill the train car was embarrassingly empty and I had to take a step away. And stand awkwardly. Seensei asked about my new friend. The lanyard and nametag the woman had made Sensei think I had found an upwardly mobile business woman . Her makeup and jewelery made Sensei guess she was 30-34 years old, and had focused too long on promoting in the company and was likely too old to be looking for a traditional marriage. Sensei bet me that she was looking for either an international boy toy or a husband to take her somewhere else to start a new life. Sensei also bet me that I could find her on the same train the following night. Training was not at the Tokyo Budokan the next night, so I did not get to find out.:mad:😥

pat

ER_STL
11-13-2020, 10:00 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_M201T-UsQ

Maple Syrup Actual
11-13-2020, 11:47 AM

But...it's not a new reality, and it IS a video game. I'm not saying it wouldn't be popular...no doubt it would. But a game version of life, without risk, won't replace actual life for most people.

BehindBlueI's
11-13-2020, 12:36 PM
But...it's not a new reality, and it IS a video game. I'm not saying it wouldn't be popular...no doubt it would. But a game version of life, without risk, won't replace actual life for most people.

The Star Trek holodeck is a new reality. It's not virtual reality in that it tricks your senses into thinking you're in a different place. It is real in the same way the replicators make food. It creates a new reality, a physical reality, for you to interact with. The only reason there is no risk is because the computer stops the reality if you are about to be seriously hurt by default. In episodes were it malfunctions or someone intentionally turns it off, people do get hurt or die. A character in one of the series is a doctor who is nothing but an AI in holodeck style created body. He can't leave the ship or he'll fall apart, so there's some apparent differences between the holodeck created reality and the replicators that make food, but he's real in that he can do real surgery, etc.

MistWolf
11-13-2020, 12:36 PM

It already has, or we wouldn't have 35 year old video gamers living in their mother's basement to make memes of

AKDoug
11-13-2020, 02:05 PM
It already has, or we wouldn't have 35 year old video gamers living in their mother's basement to make memes of I screwed some things up raising my now adult children, but one thing I do not regret was a total ban on video game consoles in our house.

Bigguy
11-13-2020, 02:13 PM
No dirty bits in the video. It's more about the tech.
This got me to thinking. (Yeah I know that can be dangerous.) Any way, I did a little Googling and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNLEfmx6Rk&list=LLppAAZ-07WYhQkk3Ecbk76w&index=162
:eek:
I had no idea it was that far along. Not there yet, but how long before you wouldn't even know.
No telling what sort of cookies I've got on my computer now. Bet I start seeing some "interesting" ads.

JRB
11-13-2020, 02:25 PM
No dirty bits in the video. It's more about the tech.
This got me to thinking. (Yeah I know that can be dangerous.) Any way, I did a little Googling and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNLEfmx6Rk&list=LLppAAZ-07WYhQkk3Ecbk76w&index=162
:eek:
I had no idea it was that far along. Not there yet, but how long before you wouldn't even know.
No telling what sort of cookies I've got on my computer now. Bet I start seeing some "interesting" ads.

Barracks inspections are about to get even weirder. Soon we'll have to worry about PV2's buying AI driven sex dolls at 30% APR, not just V6 Dodge Challengers.

UNM1136
11-13-2020, 02:59 PM
The Star Trek holodeck is a new reality. It's not virtual reality in that it tricks your senses into thinking you're in a different place. It is real in the same way the replicators make food. It creates a new reality, a physical reality, for you to interact with. The only reason there is no risk is because the computer stops the reality if you are about to be seriously hurt by default. In episodes were it malfunctions or someone intentionally turns it off, people do get hurt or die. A character in one of the series is a doctor who is nothing but an AI in holodeck style created body. He can't leave the ship or he'll fall apart, so there's some apparent differences between the holodeck created reality and the replicators that make food, but he's real in that he can do real surgery, etc.

Easy Brother, you inner geek is showing...

pat

Maple Syrup Actual
11-13-2020, 03:12 PM
It already has, or we wouldn't have 35 year old video gamers living in their mother's basement to make memes of

Yeah, how many of them were all set to have normal lives where they bang chicks and play recreational sports and have pizza and beer with their friends at the local watering hole until they discovered video games though?

I'm going with "roughly none" personally.

There's always socially inept people who can't socialize well; stuff like this just gives them a place to be comfortable. I'm not trading real girls for real dolls that I just program to be easier or harder to convince to do anal or threesomes or whatever; that's just a video game with extra steps. I doubt that in reality very many people would trade the actual meaningful experience of human relationships for the "you automatically get whatever you want" version where you set all the parameters. That's the way in which this is god mode; it's just a conceptually advanced version of god mode. You don't necessarily set it so that you always win, but you know that win or lose is just a choice you make. When it's an actual real live girl, there is a competing intellect with its own motivations. There will always be something different about it.

There's always fear that this stuff will replace actual human interaction, but my guess is that the average dude spends way more time casually chatting up girls today than, say, 150 years ago. Maybe we're not at the absolute peak of interpersonal socializing right at this exact moment, but human history has varied on this stuff forever.

It doesn't seem much worth worrying about to me, anyway.

BehindBlueI's
11-13-2020, 03:27 PM
Easy Brother, you inner geek is showing...

pat

I was definitely a geek for Star Trek, mostly the original series although Next Generation grew on me as it went along. It definitely poses some interesting questions. My senior paper in high school was on the cultural impact of Star Trek (first interracial kiss on television being one key fact I still recall) and the holodeck topic is not a new one.

Obviously we're debating a fictional technology, but suppose it actually existed. There would be no more schools of any kind. Why would you take piano lessons from the church piano player in the neighborhood when you can learn from whoever the best piano player ever for your chosen style?

Let's go back to travel. Say I want to go to Barcelona again. If the technology is so good that if I walked in the door at the airport and it was actually into a holodeck without my knowledge but the experience was exactly the same...why would I actually fly to Barcelona? That's why I say it's not a video game. Once it's to the point you cannot tell the difference without being told, and then just having to believe what your told, it's a new reality.

The doctor program. Why would you go to a hospital when you have a real doctor (and no other patients and no risk of cross contamination...) in your holodeck? Literally the best minds in medicine recreated in artificial bodies diagnosing and treating you. How will that affect new doctors? A mediocre doctor now is still a doctor because there aren't infinite clones of the best one. Will people risk becoming a doctor, and if so how will you gain experience? How will there be a new generation of "best"? Or will it simply be people tweaking existing "doctors" in the programming as all of the survival rate data is readily available? And will it be humans doing that, or machines teaching themselves?

At what point does having a naturally born meat body stop being a criteria for being human?

Not a question that was relevant for me as a youth, but with the explosion of Internet interaction, a new question comes to mind. It's pretty obvious to everyone that people interact less respectfully online then in the real world, likely because while logically they know the other poster is a real person they aren't actually interacting in a real way with that person, they are interacting with the text that person created. Will people be more or less dick-ish to "artificial people" who look and interact like "natural people" then they are to text based "natural people"?

People may or may not live there entire lives inside the holodeck, but it's impact on society as we think about it would be so devastating that we're pretty unlikely to recognize the results. Obviously just idle philosophical musings at this point, but interesting none-the-less.

wvincent
11-13-2020, 03:27 PM
Barracks inspections are about to get even weirder. Soon we'll have to worry about PV2's buying AI driven sex dolls at 30% APR, not just V6 Dodge Challengers.

Yeah, you're gonna want gloves and a Tyvek suit, maybe just go MOPP 4, the mask will be good protection from splashing if Pvt. Snuffy forgot to drain her.
Have fun!!!!;)

wvincent
11-13-2020, 03:33 PM
Yeah, you're gonna want gloves and a Tyvek suit, maybe just go MOPP 4, the mask will be good protection from splashing if Pvt. Snuffy forgot to drain her.
Have fun!!!!;)

Maybe MWR will have a loaner program?:D

BehindBlueI's
11-13-2020, 03:47 PM
I doubt that in reality very many people would trade the actual meaningful experience of human relationships for the "you automatically get whatever you want" version where you set all the parameters. That's the way in which this is god mode; it's just a conceptually advanced version of god mode.

Sure. And with the caveat that we're using a fictional technology, that's one way to play but just scratches the potential of the machine. Sort of a shallow version that would get old. The computer creates or recreates actual people for any purpose other then having legal standing, either clones of real people or random people without a real world counterpart. The doctor has a personality and it changes as he learns and experiences.

That's why I'm drawing a difference between a virtual reality and the holodeck's alternate reality. The potential of the machine is that you don't actually know if you're in a "real" bar or a "holo" bar once you walk through the door. Every other patron could be artificial and you'd have no way to know. Or a mix. Think about that, a night club that automatically creates patrons to adjust "the ratio" or to flesh out a dead night. You could be the only natural person. Or one of three in a crowd of hundreds. Literally every business that's reliant on anything other then products that must leave the room (ie, a holodeck mattress store is going to leave you surprised a few steps from the door) can be replaced with a holodeck.

Blades
11-13-2020, 04:00 PM
We may be getting closer to the future from the movie Surrogates (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0986263/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_49).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGwQ74cH5O0

Bigguy
11-13-2020, 04:11 PM
Yeah, how many of them were all set to have normal lives where they bang chicks and play recreational sports and have pizza and beer with their friends at the local watering hole until they discovered video games though?

I'm going with "roughly none" personally.

There's always socially inept people who can't socialize well; stuff like this just gives them a place to be comfortable. I'm not trading real girls for real dolls that I just program to be easier or harder to convince to do anal or threesomes or whatever; that's just a video game with extra steps. I doubt that in reality very many people would trade the actual meaningful experience of human relationships for the "you automatically get whatever you want" version where you set all the parameters. That's the way in which this is god mode; it's just a conceptually advanced version of god mode. You don't necessarily set it so that you always win, but you know that win or lose is just a choice you make. When it's an actual real live girl, there is a competing intellect with its own motivations. There will always be something different about it.

There's always fear that this stuff will replace actual human interaction, but my guess is that the average dude spends way more time casually chatting up girls today than, say, 150 years ago. Maybe we're not at the absolute peak of interpersonal socializing right at this exact moment, but human history has varied on this stuff forever.

It doesn't seem much worth worrying about to me, anyway.

Watch the Social Dilemma on Netflix. The system will adapt its behavior to keep the customer hooked. Just enough sass to keep things interesting, not enough to drive you away.

JRB
11-13-2020, 05:02 PM
Have fun!!!!;)

Maybe MWR will have a loaner program?:D

"Roger, Top, We'll clean all that up as soon as we get that 5K tanker truck full of Clorox"
"Jesus, troop, do you really need five thousand fucking gallons of Clorox?"
"Yes, Top, we do"

blues
11-13-2020, 05:31 PM
https://youtu.be/VBk79X3rMyc