PDA

View Full Version : Worstest Thanksgiving Dish Ever

Joe S
11-11-2020, 09:19 PM
Okay, cast your vote. Write-ins welcome. I tried to come up with all the "traditional" dishes I could think of.

All are welcome to express their opinion. Mockery expected. My wife, who has only Yankee influence in her family's traditions not brought over from the old continent, expressed skepticism at cornbread. I will fight anyone who agrees with her.

Lex Luthier
11-11-2020, 09:26 PM
I've never had a truly awful thanksgiving dish. I have had good dishes prepared ineptly by talentless or palate-deprived cooks.

Thankfully, this has almost never been a case with any of my family.

TQP
11-11-2020, 09:38 PM
This is the best use for cranberry sauce.

Shoresy
11-11-2020, 09:43 PM

I'm ambivalent on cranberry sauce, but you get a like for making me laugh.

BobM
11-11-2020, 09:43 PM
My mother insists on making Brussels sprouts every year. I think her and one of my cousins are the only two that eat them.

Caballoflaco
11-11-2020, 09:45 PM
Will somebody kindly let me know when we decide to have a civil war based on whether or not corn bread should have sugar added to the recipe.

Here’s a hint it’s not called corn cake, or served as a dessert.

peterb
11-11-2020, 09:54 PM
Tie between green bean casserole and creamed onions.

Homemade cranberry sauce is a world away from canned. Cranberries, apple, orange, water, sugar to taste(tart!), salt. There's also the infamous "Mama Stambergs" made with sour cream and horseradish that actually works really well on dark meat. https://www.npr.org/2006/11/23/4176014/mama-stambergs-cranberry-relish-recipe The chutney is also good.

Brussels sprouts are hideous if you boil them to an olive drab death. Try cut in halves, blanch in boiling water then ice water, saute in butter with onions and slivered almonds. Should still be bright green when cooked.

tadawson
11-11-2020, 09:58 PM
Not much there to dislike, but my #1 wasn't split out. I *like* the jellied cranberry sauce, but I hate the stuff with raw berries, sticks, twigs, pinecones (so it seems) made in a grinder . . .

Never had creamed onions, but doesn't give me an urge thinking about it.

Brussel sprouts, that's a favorite!

HCM
11-11-2020, 10:00 PM
The Texas supermarket chain HEB has BBQ restaurants in some of their stores. They do roasted Brussels sprouts which are the best Brussels sprouts I’ve had, hands down.

JM Campbell can opine as he’s had them as well.

Recipe here:

https://www.heb.com/recipe/recipe-item/charred-brussels-sprouts/1398803976312

peterb
11-11-2020, 10:01 PM
Will somebody kindly let me know when we decide to have a civil war based on whether or not corn bread should have sugar added to the recipe.

I'll be diplomatic and say it depends on your cornmeal. Good cornmeal doesn't need it. Bad cornmeal can be tasteless or bitter. Overuse of baking powder can also make things bitter and need sugar to compensate.

My cornbread additives tend more towards hot peppers, cheese, or garlic. :D

SCCY Marshal
11-11-2020, 10:07 PM
I love sweet potatoes. Topping them with marshmallows should be a felony. Coming anywhere near them with a bottle of Karo, for any reason but making a pie, should see the offender tossed from an aircraft.

Rick R
11-11-2020, 10:20 PM
I love sweet potatoes. Topping them with marshmallows should be a felony. Coming anywhere near them with a bottle of Karo, for any reason but making a pie, should see the offender tossed from an aircraft.

My MIL had a bottle of Karo syrup in her cupboard. I pointed to the ingredients being basically industrial strength high fructose corn syrup. Milady cringed and yelled “Mom! You’ve been trying to kill us all these years!”.

I can do marshmallows but really just cinnamon, butter and brown sugar on my sweet taters please.

JclInAtx
11-11-2020, 10:24 PM
The Texas supermarket chain HEB has BBQ restaurants in some of their stores. They do roasted Brussels sprouts which are the best Brussels sprouts I’ve had, hands down.

Recipe here:

I'll have to try that recipe. We roast them in the oven tossed with oil, salt and pepper. Really tasty but they do smell. You'll want to keep the windows open while they cook.

Mom used to make yams or sweet potatoes with marshmallows and try to pass it off as dessert. Horrible.

JM Campbell
11-11-2020, 10:25 PM

Recipe here:

Yes they are very good. That’s actually what got me to start doing them on my own pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KellyinAvon
11-11-2020, 10:29 PM
Do we need another thread to start the, "Bread or cornbread dressing debate"?

JM Campbell
11-11-2020, 10:37 PM
I'll have to try that recipe. We roast them in the oven tossed with oil, salt and pepper. Really tasty but they do smell. You'll want to keep the windows open while they cook.

Mom used to make yams or sweet potatoes with marshmallows and try to pass it off as dessert. Horrible.

I make a balsamic glaze with balsamic vinegar (you can spruce it up with various different flavored ones) honey, Dijon mustard, olive oil, minced garlic and top with crispy bacon and pour it over the top of the brussel sprouts . It’s a huge winner at the get bbq togethers.

ETA: try smoked paprika with your salt and pepper on the sprouts. Adds great extra flavor and color to the dish.

HCountyGuy
11-11-2020, 10:49 PM
Green Bean Casserole can be disposed of. Recently had the misfortune of being exposed to minced meat pie. Eeeeuuughhh!!!

Casual Friday
11-11-2020, 11:02 PM
The Pilgrims would have turned around and went back home if they knew we'd be serving green bean casserole on Thanksgiving.

Joe S
11-11-2020, 11:14 PM

I can go either way on it. You use molasses?

Not much there to dislike, but my #1 wasn't split out. I *like* the jellied cranberry sauce, but I hate the stuff with raw berries, sticks, twigs, pinecones (so it seems) made in a grinder . . .

Never had creamed onions, but doesn't give me an urge thinking about it.

Brussel sprouts, that's a favorite!

The in-laws do the creamed onions. They are a family of amazing cooks and I consider it an honor to assist in the kitchen. BIL is actually a pro chef. But creamed onions are foul.

This is the best way to do sprouts, IMO. I can't stand when people make it sweet, and then waste perfectly good bacon by mixing it in.

My stepmother upon joining my family learned that she had 3 men in her life suddenly who didn't care for sweet things, but wanted enough spice to make you breathe fire. Her cranberry sauce done with the liberal inclusion of jalapenos and cilantro is incredible. The only way I like it.

JclInAtx
11-11-2020, 11:16 PM
I make a balsamic glaze with balsamic vinegar (you can spruce it up with various different flavored ones) honey, Dijon mustard, olive oil, minced garlic and top with crispy bacon and pour it over the top of the brussel sprouts . It’s a huge winner at the get bbq togethers.

ETA: try smoked paprika with your salt and pepper on the sprouts. Adds great extra flavor and color to the dish.

That sounds pretty good. My wife makes a balsamic glaze, that i think is balsamic vinegar, butter, and soy, for roasted asparagus. I usually do the sprouts and never thought of a glaze for them.

Totem Polar
11-11-2020, 11:29 PM
The Pilgrims would have turned around and went back home if they knew we'd be serving green bean casserole on Thanksgiving.

This guy gets it.

And, WTF is a creamed onion? I think that I might be really glad that I don’t know...

UNM1136
11-12-2020, 12:46 AM

I use Alton Brown's green bean casserole recipe, have for years, and I get requests for it regularly. I haven't worked holidays in years, but I cater dinner at work for the single kids stuck working the holidays. No canned cream of anything, fresh beans, fresh mushrooms, cream, and home done panko onions.

pat

TGS
11-12-2020, 12:59 AM
To whoever voted sweet potatoes/candied yams....

Don't worry, nobody will miss you when you kill yourself....so go get it done.

And, WTF is a creamed onion? I think that I might be really glad that I don’t know...

Never heard of it before, but I just looked it up and I have to say I'm very interested. It's either going to be delicious or horrible, I get the feeling it's very polarizing and there's no in-between.

YVK
11-12-2020, 01:05 AM
Polls is missing "all of the above" option.

Joking.

Not really.

TGS
11-12-2020, 01:07 AM
Polls is missing "all of the above" option.

Joking.

Not really.

Back to the Iron Curtain with you.

Maple Syrup Actual
11-12-2020, 01:07 AM
I don't even know what all of those things are (green bean casserole? creamed onions?) but I'll tell you this: I fucking HATE pumpkin pie.

I genuinely like brussels sprouts and always have; I love cranberry sauce but Erin makes it from scratch and it's not much like the canned stuff.

Joshmill
11-12-2020, 01:19 AM
I read all 3 pages just to find out WTF a creamed onion is. Googling now.

AKDoug
11-12-2020, 01:34 AM
My wife makes it from scratch and people who don't like the canned shit fight over it at dinner.

FNFAN
11-12-2020, 01:38 AM
I fucking HATE pumpkin pie.

Exactly. You'd have to chase me down and chain me down to eat a slice!:(

HCM
11-12-2020, 01:42 AM
I don't even know what all of those things are (green bean casserole? creamed onions?) but I'll tell you this: I fucking HATE pumpkin pie.

I genuinely like brussels sprouts and always have; I love cranberry sauce but Erin makes it from scratch and it's not much like the canned stuff.

Greenbean casserole is a hot side dish consisting of canned or frozen green beans combined with cream soup (usually cream of mushroom), milk, and covered with canned crispy fried onions. Popular seasonings include soysauce and black pepper.

I can understand the hate for conventional green bean casserole.

The version I'm familiar with replaces the milk with cream cheese and dry ranch dressing mix and adds chopped up thick bacon. This version is a big hit and the first leftover to be gone.

Joshmill
11-12-2020, 02:08 AM
I read all 3 pages just to find out WTF a creamed onion is. Googling now.

Duelist
11-12-2020, 03:02 AM
Canned cranberry plunked onto a plate in a solid congealed mass is awful.

That is how it was always served when I was a child. Then one year, my mom. Was trying out different recipes and hoping to find one her pickiest child would eat. Grinding up raw berries and oranges together into cranberry relish (there’s some other stuff in the recipe, but no twigs or leaves) suddenly made cranberries good.

Decades later, I was served those stupid canned cranberries by an in-law, but she cooked them in a sauce pan with some other ingredients - made it completely different.

Who in their right mind serves Brussels sprouts for Thanksgiving?

Cornbread can be sweet, dry, or moist as cake, can be in a dressing with bacon, can be served with maple syrup and real butter, or gravy and the main dish (ham or turkey, I’m not particular), but if it isn’t at my holiday meal gathering, I will go make some myself. Required component.

TheNewbie
11-12-2020, 04:33 AM
Anything with mayonnaise in it. I give you my word, I had rather eat dirt.

Bigghoss
11-12-2020, 05:38 AM
If I catch you putting nuts or raisins if stuffing I will wipe your blood line from the face of the earth. I can live with celery and onion if you chop it small enough instead of throwing in huge chunks. For the sake of being contentious I'll say that I like stuffing with black olives in it.

And when I make a sammich with the leftover turkey, I'm putting mayonnaise on it.

Shoresy
11-12-2020, 05:48 AM
If I catch you putting nuts or raisins if stuffing I will wipe your blood line from the face of the earth. I can live with celery and onion if you chop it small enough instead of throwing in huge chunks. For the sake of being contentious I'll say that I like stuffing with black olives in it.

And when I make a sammich with the leftover turkey, I'm putting mayonnaise on it.

Nope. Fuck celery in all its forms.

Bigghoss
11-12-2020, 05:52 AM
Nope. Fuck celery in all its forms.

I'd rather not. But between that or eating it...

farscott
11-12-2020, 06:02 AM
Brussel sprouts and I are incompatible. If they are in the room, I will leave the room post haste. Something about the odor is like syrup of ipecac only much more quickly effective.

RJ
11-12-2020, 06:20 AM
Obviously my choice in the poll is clear. :cool:

PS what the heck are creamed onions? Is that even a thing?

JAD
11-12-2020, 06:38 AM
I love all the stuff on that list (saving an ignorance of creamed onions, but I’m amenable). I picked stuffing inside the bird because it is a botulism e-ticket. But if it’s on the table, I’m not going to say no.

Greg
11-12-2020, 08:47 AM
Brussels Sprouts are vile and disgusting.

THE END

PS - Pumpkin Pie sucks too.

BobM
11-12-2020, 08:52 AM
This guy gets it.

I’d never heard of creamed onions until this thread started either. I don’t think I’m going to look it up, already sounds disgusting.

BobM
11-12-2020, 08:53 AM

Miracle Whip for me.

the Schwartz
11-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Miracle Whip for me.

+1

There is no better option!

I've never heard of creamed onions before this thread. Just the idea makes me think that I would have to take a hard "pass" on them.

RJ
11-12-2020, 09:27 AM

THE END

PS - Pumpkin Pie sucks too.

Blasphemer!

I will having nothing said against Pumpking Pie. It's flavor is only surpassed with vanilla ice cream. You could probably say the only reason I stuck around through the Turkey in dinners past was because of pie and ice cream to follow.

PS we are in accord on Brussels Sprouts. They should be nuked from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

JAD
11-12-2020, 09:27 AM
I just googled creamed onions. I'm going to make them.

RoyGBiv
11-12-2020, 09:49 AM
Roasted Brussels sprouts are excellent. A bit of oil, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, dice up some bacon and onions, mix and roast at 425'F for about 30 minutes. Drizzle on some Balsamic vinegar before serving.

Just made these yesterday. Leftovers for lunch today.

We like to roast cauliflower and broccoli the same way, but no vinegar at the end.

Sprouts are also great raw, shredded similar to cole slaw, a little oil and vinegar, with pine nuts (or sunflower seeds), grated Parmesan and whatever seasonings you like.

JAD
11-12-2020, 09:53 AM
Love roasted sprouts -- had them this week, but the kid hogged most of them.

There's a place near Fenton Michigan called The Laundry. It is generally outstanding, but they had a dish (just looked for it on their online menu, looks like they got hammered by COVid) that involved sprouts, bacon, and mushrooms (crimini) roasted in butter in a small cast iron skillet, with gruyere melted over it before serving. Total face melter.

ragnar_d
11-12-2020, 09:57 AM
Gun to head: Pumpkin Pie. It's okay but most of the time I've had it, the pie was nothing more than a whipped cream/ice cream delivery vehicle.

I've never had a truly awful thanksgiving dish. I have had good dishes prepared ineptly by talentless or palate-deprived cooks.

Thankfully, this has almost never been a case with any of my family.
That's pretty much my take on it as well. I loved everything my family cooked growing up but after I got out on my own I realize that . . . my family really didn't cook a lot of things really well and relied really heavily on canned stuff and margarine (I loath margarine to this day, you won't find that shit in my house, real butter or GTFO).

Recipe here:

That's close to what I do with my roasted brussels sprouts. Slice them in half, toss them in olive oil (or bacon grease because bacon) with some garlic, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika, spread them out on a sheet pan and top with some chopped bacon, and roast them. I usually have to make a double batch if I want leftovers.

Preach it, good sir!

Caballoflaco
11-12-2020, 10:09 AM
I can go either way on it. You use molasses?

You sir remind me of the Ferryman in the Outlaw Josey Wales.

https://youtu.be/uBHdbexrK1Q

BobLoblaw
11-12-2020, 10:21 AM
I know I'm in the minority here but unless you've lost your teeth or they haven't come in yet, mashed potatoes are a bullshit waste of carbs. May as well be tofu. At least you get to chew that flavorless, semisolid. "So buttery!" Yeah, you don't like mashed potatoes that much. You really just like those condiments but you'd look like a mental patient treating that salted butter stick like a Baby Ruth.

JAD
11-12-2020, 10:26 AM
I know I'm in the minority here but unless you've lost your teeth or they haven't come in yet, mashed potatoes are a bullshit waste of carbs.

Since it is impolite to drink gravy directly from the boat, I am presented with few options.

I really do like plain old mashed potatoes but given the same amount of effort would rather have boiled small ones, baked big ones, twice baked medium ones, latke, or kartoffelknoedel / kopytka.

BobLoblaw
11-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Since it is impolite to drink gravy directly from the boat, I am presented with few options.

I really do like plain old mashed potatoes but given the same amount of effort would rather have boiled small ones, baked big ones, twice baked medium ones, latke, or kartoffelknoedel / kopytka.

I do like potatoes. It's mostly a texture thing. I feel like the cook is baby-birding me.

Seven_Sicks_Two
11-12-2020, 11:05 AM
That reads like a list of my favorite foods. Consequently, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.

mtnbkr
11-12-2020, 11:54 AM
That reads like a list of my favorite foods. Consequently, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.

I'm right there with ya. There was nothing on that list I wouldn't eat. There were a couple things I wouldn't pick for my first pass, but nothing I'd turn my nose up to.

Chris

RJ
11-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Roasted Brussels sprouts are excellent. A bit of oil, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, dice up some bacon and onions, mix and roast at 425'F for about 30 minutes. Drizzle on some Balsamic vinegar before serving.

Holy hell that sounds delicious.

SLUZENE
11-12-2020, 01:08 PM
Who the fuck eats Mac & Cheese for the holidays?

Why not top ramen for your birthday dinner too?

How about jello for a wedding anniversary?

Is nothing sacred?

The majority of traditional holiday dishes are simply gross because they are somehow ruined such as putting marshmellows on sweet potatoes. Or not making cranberry sauce from scratch. Or cooking the meat wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTwXudZTWQA

Most pumpkin pie is crap, but if you actually find a good recipe (with plenty of cloves, cinnamon, pastry crust with plenty of butter or ghee etc) it can be really great.

I've had terrible anything during the holidays, but for example with Brussels sprouts, they can be made to be really good (my better half makes them the same way) usually made in a cast iron with bacon grease:

Crazy Dane
11-12-2020, 01:15 PM
After reading through this thread, I realize that most of you have never been truly hungry. I'm not talking about you skipped breakfast and lunch is 45 minutes late hungry I'm talking about having to drag you busted ass through the desert turning over rocks to find bugs type hungry. If you have, you have forgotten. I don't think there is a food I wouldn't eat, I know there is some I would prefer not to have to eat...

This will be my first thanksgiving since I change my diet. It will be interesting with no carbs and no sugars...

Maple Syrup Actual
11-12-2020, 01:29 PM
All I'm going to say to that is that I was once homeless and living on the street for about a year, and lost sixty pounds. There's not that many people in the first world that know hunger any better than I do.

Thankfully no Jigsaw-type supervillains kidnapped me and locked me in a room with unlimited pumpkin pie to eat and pumpkin lattes to drink, and no other way to survive. Truly, some crimes are beyond even the worst imaginations of Inquisition sadists.

Yung
11-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Dude, you just don't know someone might have a shoe rack full of ugg boots waiting. Your size might be in there somewhere.

randyho
11-12-2020, 04:36 PM
B. Sprouts, like Kale, are not food. You can pass them, much like you can a marble, but they are not food. Somewhere, someone who was taking a leak on the side of the road saw a funny looking weed in a ditch and decided to play a joke on a friend. That person has been laughing their ass off ever since, having exposed a planet of non-critical thinkers.

HCM
11-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Anything with mayonnaise in it. I give you my word, I had rather eat dirt.

Luckily you can just drink it instead :-)

Rex G
11-12-2020, 04:38 PM

Why not top ramen for your birthday dinner too?

How about jello for a wedding anniversary?

Is nothing sacred?

:

Amen! Especially the mac-and-gagging-cheese part.

randyho
11-12-2020, 04:38 PM

I am infrequently speechless.

Bigghoss
11-12-2020, 05:02 PM

You ever had legit, made-from-scratch, homemade macaroni and cheese? I would gladly have that with Thanksgiving dinner.

RoyGBiv
11-12-2020, 05:03 PM
We often share the holiday with close friends, since we all have family spread around the country and, especially when our kids were small, it's a PITA to travel for TG. One of our friends is a magician with side dishes. She's made some things that we still talk about years later. When all of our kids were younger, mac & cheese was something they would eat with their turkey, good luck getting them to eat the green bean casserole. What better to fill the kids up than a made from scratch baked mac & cheese?

As the kids got older, the mac & cheese our friend brought to dinner got more sophisticated. From baked, to bacon, to Gruyere, to crab and shrimp... It's unusual NOT to have mac & cheese at holiday dinner, but it's never the Kraft stuff out of the box. Not nearly. :cool:

Seven_Sicks_Two
11-12-2020, 05:04 PM

I fucking love mayo. I'd at least try this if it were real.

TheNewbie
11-12-2020, 05:06 PM

That is probably the most obvious sign that the end of the world is near I have yet to see.

RoyGBiv
11-12-2020, 05:10 PM
Don't know about the Helman's but, I've tried this Pickle Beer... It was truly, uniquely awful.

I love pickles. Beer is good too. But OMG. I'd rather eat Natto (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natt%C5%8D) than a Best Maid pickle.

https://256982-884193-raikfcquaxqncofqfm.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Sour-Pickle-Beer-1.png

mtnbkr
11-12-2020, 05:28 PM
Just leaving this here: http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

Chris

Greg
11-12-2020, 06:33 PM
If anyone was enough of a knuckle dragging barbarian to serve beets at Thanksgiving that would displace Brussels sprouts as the worst dish ever.

Joe in PNG
11-12-2020, 06:33 PM
I'm in the "whole list looks good to me" camp- there's not much I don't like.

scw2
11-12-2020, 08:31 PM

Add lardons of thick cut bacon and those sprouts will come out tasting even better. :)

CleverNickname
11-12-2020, 08:47 PM
Brussel sprouts aren't my first or even twentieth choice for a vegetable, and I much prefer white potatoes over yams. But the one thing I won't eat is big ol' globs of wet spiced bread stuffing.

Bigghoss
11-13-2020, 06:23 AM
I fucking love mayo. I'd at least try this if it were real.

I'm white as fuck and will put mayo on hot dogs, but no way am I drinking that. If some weirdo happened to have a can (because most of my friends are sick fucks like that) I would take sip just to say I did, because I'm still young enough to be that stupid. But I would not be looking forward to it.

Bigghoss
11-13-2020, 06:25 AM
If anyone was enough of a knuckle dragging barbarian to serve beets at Thanksgiving that would displace Brussels sprouts as the worst dish ever.

Beets have got to be the most disgusting thing I have ever attempted to eat.

BobLoblaw
11-13-2020, 08:09 AM
We were poor when I was little so for about half our meals, us kids ate blue box mac and cheese w/ hot dog wieners while my mom had pickled beets and cottage cheese (sometimes sweet pickles too). I always thought her combination was disgusting but the older I get, the more I like it. I even get cravings for it occasionally.

Duelist
11-13-2020, 08:16 AM
I know I'm in the minority here but unless you've lost your teeth or they haven't come in yet, mashed potatoes are a bullshit waste of carbs. May as well be tofu. At least you get to chew that flavorless, semisolid. "So buttery!" Yeah, you don't like mashed potatoes that much. You really just like those condiments but you'd look like a mental patient treating that salted butter stick like a Baby Ruth.

Hush your mouth!

Real potatoes. Washed, not peeled. Cubed, boiled. Drain the water. Mashing tool - mash and mix in: butter, cream or whole milk, garlic, green onion, salt, cheese, cilantro. Add bacon if desired.

Hell, yeah, I’m about those condiments! And the potatoes.

Salted butter is pretty useless, though. Add salt if needed to specific recipes - can’t use salted butter in enough recipes that you have to stock two kinds of butter, which is dumb. Just stock butter and add salt if needed.

I like pie. There needs to be three or more kinds at Thanksgiving, and one needs to be pumpkin. But it’s not really satisfying if it was in a box for two weeks before you bought it. Much better home made with a good home made crust. Lady from church makes us pies once in a while. Need to call and make a thanksgiving request.

Duelist
11-13-2020, 08:22 AM

Just made these yesterday. Leftovers for lunch today.

We like to roast cauliflower and broccoli the same way, but no vinegar at the end.

Sprouts are also great raw, shredded similar to cole slaw, a little oil and vinegar, with pine nuts (or sunflower seeds), grated Parmesan and whatever seasonings you like.

Started reading this one and said, wow, that sounds great as long as you leave out the sprouts, or replace them with a vegetable like asparagus or broccoli or cauliflower or carrots.

My wife has tried this method of tricking me into eating sprouts. Nope.

Stephanie B
11-13-2020, 08:41 AM
Mac & cheese for Thanksgiving? No, just no. Eat that shit 362 days a year, but crimus, eat real food for a few holidays.

Little Green Balls of Death are never appropriate for any meal. Don't bother cooking them, just put them in the compost heap.

Rick R
11-13-2020, 08:41 AM

I grew up in WV, moved to Houston TX in my 20’s. The owner of the first place I worked walked up to me one morning and confides that his wife is from WV, then adds “Can you eat a meal without potatoes in it?”.

I like mashed potatoes, but I like them cooked skin on and mashed by hand with the appropriate tool, not whipped into a frothy paste as most people here (I’m back in WV) are wont to do.

Alas I put myself on a low carb diet over a year ago so pretty much anything white is off the menu.

We all laugh at my SIL who is a wee slip of a woman, she’ll eat herself into a coma at Thanksgiving, sleep for an hour or two then rise from the dead and fix another plate heavy with stuffing and mashed potatoes before passing out again. She does it every year. :D

Flamingo
11-13-2020, 10:16 AM
I like brussel sprouts, but the wife can't stand them... she says they taste like farts smell.

PNWTO
11-13-2020, 10:27 AM
Candied yams are usually okay but if you put raisins in it then your soul is already lost to the Void.

MistWolf
11-13-2020, 12:08 PM
Little Green Balls of Death are never appropriate for any meal. Don't bother cooking them, just put them in the compost heap.

What?!?- and ruin a perfectly good compost heap!?!

Casual Friday
11-13-2020, 12:19 PM
I use Alton Brown's green bean casserole recipe, have for years, and I get requests for it regularly. I haven't worked holidays in years, but I cater dinner at work for the single kids stuck working the holidays. No canned cream of anything, fresh beans, fresh mushrooms, cream, and home done panko onions.

pat

Greenbean casserole is a hot side dish consisting of canned or frozen green beans combined with cream soup (usually cream of mushroom), milk, and covered with canned crispy fried onions. Popular seasonings include soysauce and black pepper.

I can understand the hate for conventional green bean casserole.

The version I'm familiar with replaces the milk with cream cheese and dry ranch dressing mix and adds chopped up thick bacon. This version is a big hit and the first leftover to be gone.

The Thanksgiving Regulatory Committee convened over the night and heard your arguments. It was decided that neither of you were able to provide sufficient evidence that Green Bean Casserole is a suitable dish for Thanksgiving, despite the addition of bacon being brought in as evidence. There are no appeals and you must wait until at least November 1st 2021 to file again.

Thank you.

t1tan
11-13-2020, 12:34 PM
Other - All of the above.

JRB
11-13-2020, 05:31 PM
I like brussel sprouts, but the wife can't stand them... she says they taste like farts smell.

She's right.

randyho
11-13-2020, 06:05 PM
She's right.again, not food.

HCM
11-13-2020, 07:56 PM
The holidays......here is an idea for ya !!

Stuffed possum with cabbage carrots rice an gravy

Jared
11-14-2020, 09:53 AM
I have a great pumpkin pie story......

I like pumpkin pie anyway, but my mother has a recipe that I love. Several years ago my wife decided to make it, but it didn’t turn out quite right. On and on this went, I think I ate 15 pies, still saying the flavor was off. My wife, in a fit of anger said the recipe was identical and I was being picky because it wasn’t my mom’s cooking. I refuted her claim with evidence that my mom was an adequate cook but my wife was in fact a better cook. The pie wasn’t right yet.

So I called mom and we discussed the recipe. Realizing the only thing that was different was the pie crusts we were buying, I went out and bought the same crusts she always used and my wife made two more pies. Result was perfection, just like mom always made. Those pie crusts may have saved a marriage, lol.

Moms pie recipe has plenty of cinnamon and nutmeg in it. My maternal grandmother used to complain every Thanksgiving about my moms “spicy pies” as they are not the typical bland tasting pumpkin pie, but are in fact a whole different animal. It’s the only traditional thanksgiving dish that I truly love and have had them made for my birthday in lieu of cake more than once.

CleverNickname
11-14-2020, 11:07 AM
I think this is a better place than the meme thread for this.

SLUZENE
11-18-2020, 08:42 PM
I have a great pumpkin pie story......

I like pumpkin pie anyway, but my mother has a recipe that I love. Several years ago my wife decided to make it, but it didn’t turn out quite right. On and on this went, I think I ate 15 pies, still saying the flavor was off. My wife, in a fit of anger said the recipe was identical and I was being picky because it wasn’t my mom’s cooking. I refuted her claim with evidence that my mom was an adequate cook but my wife was in fact a better cook. The pie wasn’t right yet.

So I called mom and we discussed the recipe. Realizing the only thing that was different was the pie crusts we were buying, I went out and bought the same crusts she always used and my wife made two more pies. Result was perfection, just like mom always made. Those pie crusts may have saved a marriage, lol.

Moms pie recipe has plenty of cinnamon and nutmeg in it. My maternal grandmother used to complain every Thanksgiving about my moms “spicy pies” as they are not the typical bland tasting pumpkin pie, but are in fact a whole different animal. It’s the only traditional thanksgiving dish that I truly love and have had them made for my birthday in lieu of cake more than once.

If you dare, have your wife make the crust from scratch with good grass fed butter and fresh pastry flower. It will then even be better than mom's. Trust me. Good things.

SLUZENE
11-18-2020, 08:44 PM
You ever had legit, made-from-scratch, homemade macaroni and cheese? I would gladly have that with Thanksgiving dinner.

Heck yeah. I like freshly cooked bacon bits, fancy cajun sausage, fresh garden tomatoes and cayenne in mine. I'm not saying it is not good, just that I don't think it's appropriate for thanksgiving. :p

My initial post was a bit misleading about Mac & Cheese though. I still usually think of junk when I think of Mac & Cheese.