PDA

View Full Version : Would like to see a flashlight pouch made by Tony

BillSWPA
11-09-2020, 03:26 PM
It is not easy to find good light pouches. I am currently using a Basic Light Pouch from Custom Carry Concepts, which is unfortunately no longer made. Other options seem to be lacking.

I prefer my light pouches to be Kydex, since it seems to retain lights better than the leather pouches I have used. Minimizing the space required on a belt is helpful, and is where at least some of the others fall short in my opinion. Bezel-down carry places my hand in the most natural position to use the light with my thumb on the tail switch.

While I do not currently need a light pouch, at some point the pouches I have will certainly wear out, and I cannot be the only one who likes to carry a light on my belt in front of my magazines.

Tony, is there any chance of you designing a light pouch, perhaps along the lines of your current single magazine pouches?

I suggest starting with a design to accommodate a 1" diameter bezel, which will hold a Malkoff Bodyguard version 2 as well as the Klarus XT2C (not the XT2CR, which requires a special shape). Hopefully others will provide feedback about what they use, so that you can accommodate the more commonly used lights first.

Tony Mayer
11-09-2020, 09:00 PM
It is not easy to find good light pouches. I am currently using a Basic Light Pouch from Custom Carry Concepts, which is unfortunately no longer made. Other options seem to be lacking.

I prefer my light pouches to be Kydex, since it seems to retain lights better than the leather pouches I have used. Minimizing the space required on a belt is helpful, and is where at least some of the others fall short in my opinion. Bezel-down carry places my hand in the most natural position to use the light with my thumb on the tail switch.

While I do not currently need a light pouch, at some point the pouches I have will certainly wear out, and I cannot be the only one who likes to carry a light on my belt in front of my magazines.

Tony, is there any chance of you designing a light pouch, perhaps along the lines of your current single magazine pouches?

I suggest starting with a design to accommodate a 1" diameter bezel, which will hold a Malkoff Bodyguard version 2 as well as the Klarus XT2C (not the XT2CR, which requires a special shape). Hopefully others will provide feedback about what they use, so that you can accommodate the more commonly used lights first.

Yes, we have been tossing around some ideas. Only problem we are having is finding the time to design it and figure out the most efficient way to manufacture them. Best answer I can give is Soon :0)

mmc45414
11-09-2020, 09:49 PM
Best answer I can give is Soon :0)
I used the be in the software industry. The development team would say "Will release in Q4" and the smartass sales team (me...) would reply "What year?" :cool:

jrbway
11-09-2020, 10:00 PM
I support this idea.
I further suggest you build a lens-down option around a Modlite PLH-v2.
This argument is entirely self-serving.

Despite the foregoing, I'll probably buy a light for whatever you build. I'd like a well-built and decently concealable belt carrier for a Surefire pattern light (EDCLx-T?).

JAD
11-09-2020, 10:13 PM
I used the be in the software industry. The development team would say "Will release in Q4" and the smartass sales team (me...) would reply "What year?" :cool:

“2.0.3 will exit DVT in H2.”
“Q3 or Q4?”
“Yes, that’s what that means.”

Hambo
11-10-2020, 01:29 PM
Tony Mayer may want to read the various P-F hat threads first. A group of guys that can't agree on anything except that you wear a hat on your head will drive him insane with flashlight choices. Streamlight! No, Surefire! Malkoff with Surefire parts in a MagLite body...

blues
11-10-2020, 01:34 PM
Tony Mayer may want to read the various P-F hat threads first. A group of guys that can't agree on anything except that you wear a hat on your head will drive him insane with flashlight choices. Streamlight! No, Surefire! Malkoff with Surefire parts in a MagLite body...

You're right. Tony should only make holsters for Glocks and Malkoffs. Why waste time with inferior products? ;)

luckyman
11-10-2020, 02:52 PM
I used the be in the software industry. The development team would say "Will release in Q4" and the smartass sales team (me...) would reply "What year?" [emoji41]

Then you have all the dysfunctional organizations where the answer is...
Well, given all the uncertainties and risks it’s most likely Q3 of next year. Except by that time you will have pushed in a bunch of new features to satisfy the current hot customer of the month you are trying to close, so it will really be Q4. But some dumbass in the sales org already promised it in Q4 of this year without checking, and nobody wants to admit that was a mistake, so the only answer upper management will let me give at this time is H1.

That’s how we work our way around to “soon” [emoji12]

ETA: and how we get to the Agile answers akin to “we don’t know yet, but here is what you will get next month, and here is the theme of what we will be focusing on in the quarter after that”

mmc45414
11-10-2020, 04:55 PM
Except by that time you will have pushed in a bunch of new features to satisfy the current hot customer of the month you are trying to close, so it will really be Q4.
I sat in one of those meetings when my boss asked about a specific feature that had been discussed and was lacking from the pending release and the development VP asked him what he would like to give up and he replied "quota".

El Cid
11-11-2020, 09:07 AM
I used a Mitch Rosen SOS for years. A few years ago I had Darkstar Gear make a Kydex version for my EDCL2-T. I’m looking at changing my handheld light to a Modlite which has a larger diameter tube.

I do think a bezel up carry method is better for retrieving the light and may offer compatibility with a wider variety of lights without having to create so many different molds.

Tony Mayer
11-11-2020, 10:59 AM
So bezel up or down? Horizontal or vertical carry? Answer is probably all but give me your thoughts!

GyroF-16
11-11-2020, 11:39 AM
So bezel up or down? Horizontal or vertical carry? Answer is probably all but give me your thoughts!

Vertical, bezel up.
Maybe even an option with a mag carrier as well. (For left-handed Beretta users, if I’m being really selfish).

Pepper
11-11-2020, 11:45 AM
Vertical, bezel up.
Maybe even an option with a mag carrier as well. (For left-handed Beretta users, if I’m being really selfish).

+1, except for a left-handed 1911 user. :D

Jeff S.
11-11-2020, 02:18 PM
Vertical, bezel down, and I’d really like a molle attachment to place it on my vest.

BillSWPA
11-12-2020, 12:11 AM
Vertical, bezel down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joe45
11-12-2020, 02:47 AM
Vertical, bezel down.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkAgreed.

Dennis
11-12-2020, 03:03 AM
Well I'm a bezel up kinda guy and I like a mag or two and for it to be super low profile and I have various flashlights.

So I just make my own!

Dennis.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/a100b7d4ea201d6bba8cab8c11c68184.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/0f06e9823694a263b18a666f2607ecbf.jpg

NH Shooter
11-13-2020, 07:22 AM
This by far is the most comfortable way I've found to carry a light on the belt;

https://i.ibb.co/kJphFnL/lightcarrier-1.jpg

If it had adjustable tension it would be even better.

Here is one that works well for me too;

https://i.ibb.co/ZfYkCn0/3PZ-4.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/RCBfCKy/z2-2.jpg

El Cid
11-13-2020, 10:38 AM
Bezel up for me. Are there that many different size light bodies? I would think trying to fit all the bezel variations would be more complicated and time consuming.

vcdgrips
11-13-2020, 11:42 AM
Bezel down for me.

I have a fish marked Blade Tech in Kydex and a reverse metal clipped "Rafter S" in leather for carrying my various Malkoff upgraded 6P/G2 Surefire lights.

I would note that a Glock OEM 9mm/.40 cal mag pouch will carry a Surefire 6P/G2 bezel down quite securely. 10 ish.

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-GLKMP17076-Mag-Pouch-9Mm/dp/B0007V9UN0

I would also note that the Safariland "accordion" style universal pouch will carry such lights both bezel down and up. 15 ish.

https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Universal-Single-Ambidextrous-Magazine/dp/B009FDAHGU/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=safariland+universal+mag+pouch&qid=1605285614&sr=8-3

IMHO, both are good short/mid term solutions unless/until you find/receive exactly what you want in kydex and/or leather.

El Cid
11-13-2020, 06:35 PM
Y’all don’t find the bezel down carry more challenging to conceal? It puts the widest part of the light over the belt where it’s going to stick out more in my experience.

Here’s what Darkstar Gear made me. Hides very well even with a 24rd mag.

https://i.imgur.com/2JMTLx9_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

BillSWPA
11-13-2020, 08:21 PM
Y’all don’t find the bezel down carry more challenging to conceal? It puts the widest part of the light over the belt where it’s going to stick out more in my experience.

https://i.imgur.com/2JMTLx9_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

If anything, I find that bezel down conceals better. Some bezel-up carriers I have used place the light too low, compromising both concealment and comfort.

Bezel down is also easier to grab. I can simply reach down with my hand in a very natural position, with the palm facing in, almost like I would to throw a vertical fist punch from the hip. My hand is perfectly positioned to grab the light with my thumb on the tail switch.

I also prefer the light to be in front of my magazines. Needing the light for some mundane task and not wanting to expose the magazines is much more likely than needing a magazine.

El Cid
11-13-2020, 08:35 PM
If anything, I find that bezel down conceals better. Some bezel-up carriers I have used place the light too low, compromising both concealment and comfort.

Bezel down is also easier to grab. I can simply reach down with my hand in a very natural position, with the palm facing in, almost like I would to throw a vertical fist punch from the hip. My hand is perfectly positioned to grab the light with my thumb on the tail switch.

I also prefer the light to be in front of my magazines. Needing the light for some mundane task and not wanting to expose the magazines is much more likely than needing a magazine.

Hmm. I wouldn’t wear a carrier that let the light fall too low below the belt regardless of orientation. For me the beer can grip is easier (like a rifle mag) but that’s probably because I wear it further back.

I prefer the mag up front because all my training and competition includes sweeping the belt until I find a mag. I don’t want to have to skip over a light. I can discreetly get the light from behind the mag. I’ve yet to need my light quickly.

It’s unlikely we will be able to provide a consensus for Tony to create a single solution. Lol!

NH Shooter
11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Y’all don’t find the bezel down carry more challenging to conceal?

I've found any vertically-carried light on the belt to be challenging due to concealment, ease-of-access or comfort issues.

For me it's really came down to a combination of the light itself and how I grip it that determines method of carry. I have settled on lights that are configured specifically for use with a cigar grip, and are short enough to ride comfortably and conceal well in a vertical carry;

https://i.ibb.co/JsPRXSx/3PZ-8.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/NT12JWf/3PZ-1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/bLHpwT2/3PZ-9.jpg

These are my EDC lights with which I use a cigar grip exclusively. The grip works well for general use and at least for me, superbly for use with a pistol a la the Surefire/Rogers technique.

The light on the right rides in my right-front pocket at all times and is used for general illumination purposes (230 lumens) but also serves well for use with a pistol. The light on the left is the "light saber" flame thrower (70,000 candela) that I clip on the belt for night excursions. Access is fast, the cigar grip making for a natural hand position to grab and pull the light out of the carrier by slipping my fingers under the grip ring and pulling straight up. Of course, the light can also be placed in a pocket if I don't want to use the carrier, but is somewhat slower to get into action that way.

Coyotesfan97
11-14-2020, 04:46 PM
I’d go with vertical bezel up. I carried all my lights vertical bezel up at work.

TC215
11-14-2020, 10:41 PM

Who made your cuff pouch?

El Cid
11-15-2020, 07:00 AM
Who made your cuff pouch?

These folks.
https://www.anrdesignkydexholster.com/

Tony Mayer
11-16-2020, 12:23 AM
Ok, so I am working with a local guy to see what we can come up with for molds. Will keep you all as up to date as possible.

El Cid
03-10-2021, 08:39 PM
Not sure where this project is in the stack, but I’ve transitioned to a Modlite handheld in place of the skinnier EDCL2-T. Still prefer muzzle up like the Rosen SOS.

Hope the move went well!

Tony Mayer
03-12-2021, 11:14 AM
Not sure where this project is in the stack, but I’ve transitioned to a Modlite handheld in place of the skinnier EDCL2-T. Still prefer muzzle up like the Rosen SOS.

Hope the move went well!

Our shop is mostly up and running, but we still don't have our house stuff (no fridges, freezers, furniture, etc;) so we are kind of living the camping lifestyle right now :0) ....other than that Texas is AWESOME!! so far. As for the light, I do have a prototype mold to test but it's for the EDCL2-T for muzzle up carry, I have a modlite and will be working on those next, and Enigma specific holsters, and USPSA light bearing holsters, and knife sheaths and.....yeah got a lot of irons in the fire :0)

El Cid
03-12-2021, 03:04 PM
Our shop is mostly up and running, but we still don't have our house stuff (no fridges, freezers, furniture, etc;) so we are kind of living the camping lifestyle right now :0) ....other than that Texas is AWESOME!! so far. As for the light, I do have a prototype mold to test but it's for the EDCL2-T for muzzle up carry, I have a modlite and will be working on those next, and Enigma specific holsters, and USPSA light bearing holsters, and knife sheaths and.....yeah got a lot of irons in the fire :0)

If nobody wants the EDCL2-T bezel up, I'll buy it from you since that's specifically what I requested a few pages back. I still have the light, but the Modlite handheld allows me to signal the ISS on a clear night. lol! The Modlite is almost identical to the SF 6P which is why my leather SOS works now.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it! I never realized how bad NV was but I only ever visited for short durations. Texas knows about freedom - so long as you avoid most of Austin. Haha!

TC215
07-10-2021, 08:01 PM
Tony Mayer any updates on these? I know you’re busy with other things right now.

Tony Mayer
07-11-2021, 06:58 PM
Tony Mayer any updates on these? I know you’re busy with other things right now.
Right now it's completely stalled, to many other things happening right now. I have another guy hired (I think anyway) so hoping that will lighten the load a bit for me to able to tackle some of these other projects.

BillSWPA
12-11-2021, 03:22 PM
I realize Tony is probably still quite busy but I am still hopeful that a light pouch can be designed at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Mayer
12-11-2021, 09:33 PM
I realize Tony is probably still quite busy but I am still hopeful that a light pouch can be designed at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys n Gals, right now, we are swamped trying to get thru Black Friday/cyber Monday orders and dealing with a bit of employee covid issues (nothing serious luckily) . It will be after the new year before I revisit anything light pouch, I do have a mold for the Surefire EDCL2-T that would be bezel up carry OWB, basically my Version 3 mag pouch but for that light and bezel orientation. Will try and Psaki back :cool: to this with more possible models (Modlite and Streamlight) if interest is there. Still have to work on some sheaths with Cecil and a snap on/off OWB as well... not enough hours in the day.

BillSWPA
12-11-2021, 11:15 PM
Guys n Gals, right now, we are swamped trying to get thru Black Friday/cyber Monday orders and dealing with a bit of employee covid issues (nothing serious luckily) . It will be after the new year before I revisit anything light pouch, I do have a mold for the Surefire EDCL2-T that would be bezel up carry OWB, basically my Version 3 mag pouch but for that light and bezel orientation. Will try and Psaki back :cool: to this with more possible models (Modlite and Streamlight) if interest is there. Still have to work on some sheaths with Cecil and a snap on/off OWB as well... not enough hours in the day.

In addition to taking plenty of vitamin C, D, and zinc, (and perhaps aspirin to make blood clotting a little less likely), and getting monoclonal antibodies where appropriate, make sure any of your people with Covid have a pulse oximeter, and are checking their blood oxygen levels at least once a day. If the blood oxygen level starts dropping into the low 90s, a telephone call to their doctor is appropriate. This may mean that inflammation in the lungs is occurring, and a prescription for a steroid might prevent Covid pneumonia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vcdgrips
12-12-2021, 01:38 PM
It may require a bit of trial/error but both them OEM Glock Mag Pouch and the Safariland "accordian" style universal mag pouch can be successfully pressed into duty as a flash light carrier. with adequate retention etc. until said excellent carrier my Tony can be made.

https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Universal-Single-Ambidextrous-Magazine/dp/B009FDAHGU/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B009FDAHGU&psc=1

9mm
https://www.amazon.com/Glock-GLKMP17076-Mag-Pouch-9Mm/dp/B0007V9UN0

10mm/.45
https://www.amazon.com/Glock-OEM-Mag-Pouch-20/dp/B000ALEAOG

Larry T
12-12-2021, 05:44 PM
For a long time I thought I wanted a kydex / hard-shelled light carrier but over the years I've been happy with various nylon pouches from Blue Force Gear, Snake Eater, and Mastermind. Ideally I'd like a clip that allows easy removal without unthreading a belt but with the nylon pouches with belt loop, the pouch just collapses when the light is removed and isn't noticeable.

blues
12-12-2021, 06:17 PM
Well, since this JM's sub-forum...I think we should concentrate on what he does or will do. (Just my opinion.) I know no disrespect is intended. (And if anyone thinks I'm singling them out, my apologies in advance.)

BillSWPA
05-15-2022, 01:30 PM
Today one of my CCC Basic Light Pouches broke the belt loop. Fortunately I have a spare, and I am trying to glue the broken belt loop back together, but I am now at the point where I would purchase a light pouch that would fit a 1 inch diameter bezel (Malkoff Bodyguard version 2) if/when it is available.