PDA

View Full Version : Alex Trebek Has Died

Chance
11-08-2020, 03:18 PM
From the Wall Street Journal (https://www.wsj.com/articles/alex-trebek-who-kept-generations-guessing-on-jeopardy-dies-11604858409):

Alex Trebek, the Canadian-American quizmaster who stumped generations of trivia fanatics as host of the long-running syndicated game show “Jeopardy!,” died Sunday morning, the show said in a statement on social media. He was 80 years old.

“Jeopardy!” did not specify a cause of death in its statement. Mr. Trebek had been receiving treatment for pancreatic cancer. “Jeopardy” said it had no immediate plans to announce a new host. Episodes hosted by Mr. Trebek will continue to air through Dec. 25.

Mr. Trebek announced his pancreatic cancer diagnosis on social media in March 2019. Looking unflinchingly into the camera, Mr. Trebek joked that he had to survive because he still had three years left on his “Jeopardy!” contract.

Sad news for multiple generations of nerds, myself included.

Hambo
11-08-2020, 03:20 PM
2020 really sucks. RIP Alex.

RJ
11-08-2020, 03:32 PM
I’ll take “Another reason why 2020 sucks” for $100, Alex.

Damn. I spent many an after school homework session watching Jeopardy! on TV with a bowl of tomato soup and a bologna sandwich. Rest In Peace.

Casual Friday
11-08-2020, 03:34 PM
Well if I wasn't pissed before I am now.

Sharkbite
11-08-2020, 03:53 PM
2020 just gets better and better....

blues
11-08-2020, 03:56 PM
He will be missed. Always enjoyed his persona on the show.

Years ago my wife entered me (without my knowing) to be interviewed to be a contestant on the show. Around the same time my transfer from NYC to South FL was coming about and I just didn't want to be bothered with the minutiae. So, I never found out how I'd have done.

I had a great memory back then and was killer at Trivial Pursuit. (Now my recall is not nearly what it had been.) I'd probably have frozen up like Ralph Kramden on The Honeymooners...

C'est la vie.

Godspeed and RIP Mr. Trebek.

PD Sgt.
11-08-2020, 04:34 PM
And let us not forget his appearance as one of the “Men in Black” on the X Files (S3E20). One of my favorite episodes.

RIP

vcdgrips
11-08-2020, 04:36 PM
A dapper gentleman always. I hope I age as well as he did.

Prayers up and out for his family.

LittleLebowski
11-08-2020, 06:21 PM
2020 really sucks. RIP Alex.

This. I liked him.

KellyinAvon
11-08-2020, 06:28 PM
I got to meet him in Iceland in 1998. He was polite, personable, and genuine. RIP Alex.

Jared
11-08-2020, 08:33 PM
I used to watch Jeopardy! all the time as a kid. Hadn’t seen it in years, then ended up watching it in September while my wife was in her hospital room post-op.

I wasn’t worth a hoot at it as a kid, but I was right more than 60% of the time after my wife had surgery. She wasn’t particularly impressed.

okie john
11-08-2020, 11:26 PM
He was a class act.

I'll refrain from cracking jokes in the Jeopardy format out of respect.

Okie John

BehindBlueI's
11-09-2020, 07:32 AM
I got to meet him in Iceland in 1998. He was polite, personable, and genuine. RIP Alex.

I worked IT at a call center that did warranty administration for a bunch of companies. His Maytag needed service and it was the talk of the building for a bit. I don't know if it was the minor brush with celebrity that caused it to be such a stir for everyone, since only the call taker had any interaction with him, as much as the notion that he was a real person that did laundry in his house. I think most of us thought he lived at Jeopardy! and was stored in a closet when not in use, much like small children assume their teachers only exist inside the school and are flabbergasted the first time they see one grocery shopping or the like. He was perfect pleasant by all accounts.

Seven_Sicks_Two
11-09-2020, 11:25 AM

Matt Helm
11-09-2020, 12:07 PM
Alex Trebeck. Succumbed to a nasty form of Cancer. I have known others that were strong & did not fight as valiantly as Alex.

RIP. You were a great Host/ MC.

KellyinAvon
11-09-2020, 08:46 PM
I worked IT at a call center that did warranty administration for a bunch of companies. His Maytag needed service and it was the talk of the building for a bit. I don't know if it was the minor brush with celebrity that caused it to be such a stir for everyone, since only the call taker had any interaction with him, as much as the notion that he was a real person that did laundry in his house. I think most of us thought he lived at Jeopardy! and was stored in a closet when not in use, much like small children assume their teachers only exist inside the school and are flabbergasted the first time they see one grocery shopping or the like. He was perfect pleasant by all accounts.

We were all a lot younger in 1998. My oldest son (middle) is now 33. Edit: crap, I was 33 in 98.

Sensei
11-09-2020, 10:28 PM
This. I liked him.

I found it ironic that his great rival died just last week.

https://youtu.be/FwWVb0KhfzM

NWshooter
11-10-2020, 11:35 AM
I found it ironic that his great rival died just last week.

https://youtu.be/FwWVb0KhfzM