PDA

View Full Version : SIRT Training: Worth It For Non-SIRT Model Shooters?

Corlissimo
06-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Simple question: Is it worth using a SIRT Pro even if I don't shoot a Glock?

I'm committed to learning, and running my P30 DA/SA gun, but would love to find a more realistic training tool than simply dry firing. Dry-fire will continue of course, but I'd sure like to save some money while practicing whenever I feel like it, and without neccessarily having to go to the range.

So until there is a P30L SIRT (when pigs fly, most likely), is this a viable route? Or will it cause issues due to the differences from my DA/SA P30L?

Thanks in advance.

ToddG
06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
I first started using the SIRT while doing my HK45 test. Did it help? Absolutely.

It wasn't a perfect replica. The grip angle, sights, and trigger were all different. But I was getting practice at lining up sights and pressing a trigger.

Does the SIRT offer more value to a Glock shooter (or M&P shooter with the new M&P models) than someone else? Yes. I don't think anyone can honestly say otherwise. But just like practicing with a good DA .22 revolver can help your shooting skill regardless of what gun you carry every day, so can the SIRT. And the SIRTs are so customizable in terms of trigger that you can probably get reasonably close to your P30's SA stroke. To work on the DA stuff, though, I'd recommend sticking to dry fire with the P30 itself.

LOKNLOD
06-21-2012, 04:16 PM
As a fellow P30 shooter.... I am with Todd. It's still helpful.

If you're a G17 shooter, the SIRT can almost replace it for dry fire. If you've got something with a different system, it'll help you get more reps but you'll still need both. I think it's really nice for practicing my draw. Even though the grip is a little different, it gives me a chance to work on my sighting at a quicker pace with feedback.

Corlissimo
06-21-2012, 05:29 PM
I first started using the SIRT while doing my HK45 test. Did it help? Absolutely.

It wasn't a perfect replica. The grip angle, sights, and trigger were all different. But I was getting practice at lining up sights and pressing a trigger.

Does the SIRT offer more value to a Glock shooter (or M&P shooter with the new M&P models) than someone else? Yes. I don't think anyone can honestly say otherwise. But just like practicing with a good DA .22 revolver can help your shooting skill regardless of what gun you carry every day, so can the SIRT. And the SIRTs are so customizable in terms of trigger that you can probably get reasonably close to your P30's SA stroke. To work on the DA stuff, though, I'd recommend sticking to dry fire with the P30 itself.

Good to know it can provide value. I had been looking for a decent used (or new) .22 revolver for practice, but thought this might be helpful since it doesn't require range time, something I can't always fit into my schedule like I want.

I hear you on the DA practice. In fact, it's pretty much the only way I've done my dry fire since I got the gun. It's so different than my SFA gun that I figured I might as well do as much as possible to get a good DA trigger pull ingrained in me. After 2 solid weeks Wall Drills are still disheartening. I'll get there, just got to "embrace the suck" until I don't anymore. :)

Corlissimo
06-21-2012, 05:31 PM
As a fellow P30 shooter.... I am with Todd. It's still helpful.

If you're a G17 shooter, the SIRT can almost replace it for dry fire. If you've got something with a different system, it'll help you get more reps but you'll still need both. I think it's really nice for practicing my draw. Even though the grip is a little different, it gives me a chance to work on my sighting at a quicker pace with feedback.

Very cool. Now, how to work it into my budget? :)

ghettomedic
06-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Very cool. Now, how to work it into my budget? :)

NLT has released a plastic slide, red/red laser version of the SIRT with an MSRP of $219. There are numerous discount codes that you can apply (including one for P-F.com members, IIRC) to knock 10-20% off that.

I see you are in Raleigh. If you want to come by PDHSC next Saturday afternoon (30 JUN) for the IDPA match, I'll gladly let you examine and get some reps on my SIRT Performer 110.

Corlissimo
06-21-2012, 07:48 PM
NLT has released a plastic slide, red/red laser version of the SIRT with an MSRP of $219. There are numerous discount codes that you can apply (including one for P-F.com members, IIRC) to knock 10-20% off that.

I see you are in Raleigh. If you want to come by PDHSC next Saturday afternoon (30 JUN) for the IDPA match, I'll gladly let you examine and get some reps on my SIRT Performer 110.

I've seen the new SIRT on NLT's site. Looks like it could be a good fit.
Saturday sounds good. I might be able to make it down there. What time is the match? Can we (wife might come too) stay and watch the match? Both of us are interested in some shooting sports and IDPA & USPSA are on my radar.

PM me the details & thanks. :cool: