PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Texas.

breakingtime91
11-01-2020, 06:13 PM
I currently reside in New Mexico, about 15 minutes to the Texas border. Honestly I am pretty upset with where this country is headed. I have gotten to the point where I refuse to reside in a blue state and while Texas is not perfectly red, it is way better then where I am at. I've set a budget and made a plan. I should be able to move and buy a house in the next few years. Anyone else doing a big move?

FNFAN
11-01-2020, 06:31 PM
I currently reside in New Mexico, about 15 minutes to the Texas border. Honestly I am pretty upset with where this country is headed. I have gotten to the point where I refuse to reside in a blue state and while Texas is not perfectly red, it is way better then where I am at. I've set a budget and made a plan. I should be able to move and buy a house in the next few years. Anyone else doing a big move?

Stuck in Colorado for a few years. I totally agree with your motivations and choice. It is frustrating.

Poconnor
11-01-2020, 06:33 PM
I tried to talk my wife into moving to the hill country back 2014. The Only way it’s going to happen is if I win the lottery to bribe all the kids to move there so we can see the grandkids

RJ
11-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Grats.

I spent almost two years eating my way through Texas BBQ, trying to find a location to move to. Although it was extremely close, we ended up deciding to stay in FL. But a lot of me resonates very strongly with Tejas in many ways.

Good luck and hope it works out.

OlongJohnson
11-01-2020, 07:05 PM
Stay a good bit west of I-35. The humidity makes it suck east of I-35. As a New Mexican, you'd hate it.

Zincwarrior
11-01-2020, 07:17 PM
Stay a good bit west of I-35. The humidity makes it suck east of I-35. As a New Mexican, you'd hate it.

Yes. I have a comrade from Arizona who complains about the humidity in Austin. Being from Houston I just laugh.

Borderland
11-01-2020, 07:29 PM
I have relatives in Texas. Actually most of my relatives still live there and a good many of them that aren't living died there. Many of those that died there were living there in the late 1800's. I was born there but moved away in the 60's and never claimed residence there since.

Texas will eventually become a blue state just like Arizona. The natives are all dying off and the people from CA who are moving there will eventually turn it blue.

You can run but you can't hide.

HCM
11-01-2020, 07:30 PM
Yes. I have a comrade from Arizona who complains about the humidity in Austin. Being from Houston I just laugh.

Precise language is always appreciated.

DDTSGM
11-01-2020, 07:34 PM

Precise language is always appreciated.

I see what you did there.

HCM
11-01-2020, 07:35 PM
I have relatives in Texas. Actually most of my relatives still live there and a good many of them that aren't living died there. Many of those that died there were living there in the late 1800's. I was born there but moved away in the 60's and never claimed residence there since.

Texas will eventually become a blue state just like Arizona. The natives are all dying off and the people from CA who are moving there will eventually turn it blue.

That is “the narrative” but hard numbers say otherwise. During the last Senate race between Bob the fake Mexican and creepy Ted Cruz.

A majority of Beto voters were native Texans from Houston Dallas and the Rio Grande Valley, while a majority of Republican voters were transplants.

Like everywhere else the biggest divide is rural versus urban. Even a purple Texas would really be a sea of red with a few big blue spots.

HCM
11-01-2020, 07:36 PM
I see what you did there.

I’m just channeling my inner Maya Angelou.

breakingtime91
11-01-2020, 07:48 PM
I'm not stupid, i know people turning blue is like a plague. What I find solace in is that many of the Texans I've met hate commies as much as I do.

Borderland
11-01-2020, 07:57 PM
That is “the narrative” but hard numbers say otherwise. During the last Senate race between Bob the fake Mexican and creepy Ted Cruz.

A majority of Beto voters were native Texans from Houston Dallas and the Rio Grande Valley, while a majority of Republican voters were transplants.

Like everywhere else the biggest divide is rural versus urban. Even a purple Texas would really be a sea of red with a few big blue spots.

Your description is accurate. CO would be a good example of your "sea of red with a few big blue spots". Even here in WA everything east of the mountains is red. So acreage doesn't account for much.

Mitch
11-01-2020, 08:01 PM
I’m trying to talk the wife into moving to Texas. She can work from anywhere, my career would make things a little harder. But enough is enough, this summer was my tipping point I guess.

olstyn
11-01-2020, 08:53 PM
Your description is accurate. CO would be a good example of your "sea of red with a few big blue spots".

MN too. The Twin Cities metro area and a few other medium/large cities are blue, but most of the rest of the state is red.

TXBK
11-01-2020, 08:59 PM
Come on. With the insane amount of people flooding Texas, we need as many sane people as possible. With that in mind, real estate in many parts of Texas right now is unlike anyone has ever seen, so don’t drag your feet.

TexasSiegfried
11-01-2020, 09:07 PM
Our only request is, if you move here, become a Texan. Don't bring anyplace else here with you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Matt O
11-01-2020, 09:28 PM
We're looking to move out of nova at any point between now and 1-2 years from now, depending on when and where I can get the next career move set up. I honestly never thought I'd leave Virginia, but I fear this state, or at least this particular area, is a goner.

I've only been to Texas once, but the people there were awesome, so that's on my list, along with Southwest VA, Tennessee, Kentucky or WVA. Basically it's Texas, or somewhere along the old Blue Ridge where I can grab a 50 acre spread and be left alone.

FrankinCA
11-02-2020, 12:11 AM
Lucky guys...I’m stuck in Oceania....for now.

jh9
11-02-2020, 08:33 AM

Thank you. I don't think I've spent more than a week in California total and even I feel like they get a bad rap on this one.

It isn't politics that the CA expats needs to leave behind, it's the bad driving.

Rex G
11-02-2020, 10:19 AM
A guy wrote an book about moving to Texas. _Gone To Texas_ They even made an instructional/inspiration video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCPcoNo_OkM

Be careful, though. Hell comes to breakfast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX56rbqZhto

HeavyDuty
11-02-2020, 10:35 AM

Yup, my move is in progress right now. I bought a new place in NH and am preparing my house in IL for sale. There were many reasons for landing in NH but a major part of it was that this is a purple state - it’s pretty rational. I know some NH natives and expats will bemoan the changes that have happened over the years, but coming from IL it’s an individualist’s wonderland.

I considered moving near my distant family in the Lubbock area, but...

HeavyDuty
11-02-2020, 10:35 AM
Your description is accurate. CO would be a good example of your "sea of red with a few big blue spots". Even here in WA everything east of the mountains is red. So acreage doesn't account for much.

Dirt don’t vote.

Borderland
11-02-2020, 10:49 AM
Thank you. I don't think I've spent more than a week in California total and even I feel like they get a bad rap on this one.

It isn't politics that the CA expats needs to leave behind, it's the bad driving.

I used to tow a trailer the entire length of CA every year on our way to AZ. I think we did that for 3 years because it was the shortest route. The last few years I decided it wasn't worth the 2 days we saved on I-5 so we went through ID and Utah instead. The drivers in CA are beyond description. I think they all have a death wish.

OlongJohnson
11-02-2020, 11:02 AM
Just because WaSP keeps y'all driving at absurdly low speeds. The 20-30 percent longer than reasonable that it takes to get anywhere up there was the number one reason I didn't think much about retiring in the area, even before politics got stupid.

It takes paying more attention, and you'll see some stupid stuff, but I actually like driving in CA.

willie
11-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Demographics will make Texas blue. Immigration, legal and illegal, will hasten the process. Asian immigrants including persons from Pakistan and India continue to move here in great numbers. Texas does not have an income tax. That and a cost of living lower than in other places have been attracting people from high tax states. They bring their politics with them. And then there are custodial populations maintained by government subsidy in the form of Lone Star cards which they carry from womb to tomb. Recently I saw a 35 year old young lady, a former student, at the local supermarket. Trailing her were her 8 children. She was pregnant with the 9th. She laughed and told me she was married to a Lone Star Card. She had already milked the college loan program. I know this because I helped her enroll.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-02-2020, 11:52 AM
If the OP moves to area in the Hill Country, Austin, San Antonio and surrounding small towns, check out https://krtraining.com/FAQs/AustinGunFAQ.HTML for ranges, classes and competitions.

You can find some paradigm to shoot almost every weekend. Karl (referenced here quite a bit) does great classes and brings in the best guest instructors.

Even in the purple to blue areas, there are vibrant shooting communities. There is an increase of 'blue' area shooters as they come to realize the utility of firearms in their lives.

Housing prices are still decent as compared to the horrors of some areas. There is some creeping crime related to drug trafficking in seemingly affluent areas as that money buys houses.

Zincwarrior
11-02-2020, 12:02 PM
If you are a competition shooter in Central Texas you will find one to three different competitions pretty much every weekend. IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, falling steel, and 3 gun.

Borderland
11-02-2020, 12:03 PM
Just because WaSP keeps y'all driving at absurdly low speeds. The 20-30 percent longer than reasonable that it takes to get anywhere up there was the number one reason I didn't think much about retiring in the area, even before politics got stupid.

It takes paying more attention, and you'll see some stupid stuff, but I actually like driving in CA.

I don't think it's the speed limit. It's the number of people living here trying to get someplace at the same time and lack of infrastructure to move all those people at a reasonable speed. The speed limit could be 80 mph on I-5 through Sea/Tac and it wouldn't matter. It would still be gridlock about 4 hours a day because of all the dumb shit drivers crashing every 10 minutes. Most cities the size of Seattle have numerous routes to move traffic thru and around the city during peak traffic. Seattle has none of that. Nothing has changed in Seattle infrastructure wise in 45 years.

I'm retired so I don't have to worry about it. I just plan around it. It sucks for people that have to work though. I used to have a 2 hour commute.

HCM
11-02-2020, 03:24 PM

No Californians deserve their rep.

I said transplants, not CA transplants. TX attracts people from all over. The worst are the CA to Austin transplants because they think it is "just like California." CA's attracted to other parts of TX are less likely to be part of the problem.

delphidoc
11-02-2020, 04:38 PM

And avoid I-35 itself at all costs. Waco, Killeen, Georgetown, Austin (!!!), San Marcos, New Braunfels, San Antonio. We drove back down to Texas last weekend to visit our son in New Braunfels. That highway is absolute hell.

I was born in San Antonio on Texas Independence Day. Texas through and through. My birthday was a state holiday growing up. We would go to the Livestock Show & Rodeo at the Astrodome for my birthday when I was a kid. My wife and I moved to Oklahoma 10 years ago. If you had told me 30 years ago that I would move to Oklahoma and like it I would've told you that you were crazy. Now I can't stand going back when we visit relatives. Texas has definitely changed from when I was a kid. Oklahoma now is what Texas used to be to me.

I'll tell you how I really feel sometime, I promise. :mad:

OlongJohnson
11-02-2020, 05:27 PM
they think it is "just like California."

To be fair, I've found myself in corners of Austin where, looking around, the only way I can tell I'm not in Malibu is the strata in the rock are horizontal rather than at a 60 degree angle.

HCM
11-02-2020, 05:50 PM
To be fair, I've found myself in corners of Austin where, looking around, the only way I can tell I'm not in Malibu is the strata in the rock are horizontal rather than at a 60 degree angle.

https://youtu.be/aCbfMkh940Q

You are talking about a city which was plagued by a serial bomber a couple years ago but just defunded their bomb squad because saving lives is somehow racist.

Real billboard on I-35

https://www.newsbreak.com/texas/austin/news/2059749870570/texas-billboard-warns-drivers-to-enter-austin-at-your-own-risk-after-city-reduces-police-budget

JAD
11-05-2020, 03:46 PM
I'd echo that Oklahoma is the new, poorer Texas. My wife and I have discussed what to do when Kansas gets too blue/antiCatholic to be tolerable, and while I voted for the uninhabitables (Dakota, Wyoming) my warm-blooded Okie wife will move us back home to Tulsa, or more likely one of the nearby small towns.

Zincwarrior
11-05-2020, 03:50 PM

Well that, and its 105 degrees.

And the chupacabras.

Zincwarrior
11-05-2020, 03:52 PM
https://youtu.be/aCbfMkh940Q

You are talking about a city which was plagued by a serial bomber a couple years ago but just defunded their bomb squad because saving lives is somehow racist.

Real billboard on I-35

https://www.newsbreak.com/texas/austin/news/2059749870570/texas-billboard-warns-drivers-to-enter-austin-at-your-own-risk-after-city-reduces-police-budget

Also the city Tesla is building a major factory at. It also may be the absolute mecca for action shooting with 1-4 competitions every weekend.

HCM
11-05-2020, 03:56 PM
Also the city Tesla is building a major factory at. It also may be the absolute mecca for action shooting with 1-4 competitions every weekend.

How many of those are actually in the city of Austin ?

Austin just happens to be next to the very red Williamson County and Ft Hood.

Zincwarrior
11-05-2020, 04:25 PM
How many of those are actually in the city of Austin ?

Austin just happens to be next to the very red Williamson County and Ft Hood.

You missed the voting patterns in Williamson recently...

In the city probably one a month, because its in the city. I've not heard of shooting competitions in any city except maybe indoor (which is what I reference).
Travis County has one or two a weekend. There were weekday steel challenge matches but those were cancelled due to Covid.

VT1032
11-05-2020, 04:38 PM
What's the verdict on the Dallas-Ft Worth area? I'm looking to escape Vermont in 2022 when my current national guard obligation is up and the Dallas area is on the shortlist since my job has a major location there. I know there are probably good and bad areas like with any city, but is the overall area decent? Cost of living? Also, what is the weather like? More humidity or dry heat? I'm originally from the San Diego area (more desert, less beaches part of the county) and my wife is from Florida so we don't really mind heat, but I can't stand humidity.

Sanch
11-05-2020, 04:42 PM
What about Utah? Seems like it may be the last red state if the country goes downhill and only modest snowfall.

The LDS seems to have a nice hold over the state which should keep it red.

OlongJohnson
11-05-2020, 04:59 PM
What's the verdict on the Dallas-Ft Worth area? I'm looking to escape Vermont in 2022 when my current national guard obligation is up and the Dallas area is on the shortlist since my job has a major location there. I know there are probably good and bad areas like with any city, but is the overall area decent? Cost of living? Also, what is the weather like? More humidity or dry heat? I'm originally from the San Diego area (more desert, less beaches part of the county) and my wife is from Florida so we don't really mind heat, but I can't stand humidity.

Less swampy than Houston, but can still be damp. Further west of I-35 is gooder for humidity.

JAD
11-05-2020, 05:25 PM

Lived in Cedar Hill for a couple of years. I loved Texans but Dallas was pretty rough -- it's an ugly city, bluer by the day, and hilariously expensive. Fort Worth was much nicer. It's hot and humid as all get out.

VT1032
11-05-2020, 06:43 PM
Lived in Cedar Hill for a couple of years. I loved Texans but Dallas was pretty rough -- it's an ugly city, bluer by the day, and hilariously expensive. Fort Worth was much nicer. It's hot and humid as all get out.Yeah, if I did it, my intent would probably be to live in the ft worth general region. The job location is in Irving so the other side of dallas, but I'm in a mostly telework job (to include pre-covid) with the only kicker being that I have to live within a 4 hour radius of work. Under pre-covid circumstances we had to do one day a week in office so I don't know that I want to live 4 hours away but I don't have to live right on top of it either. When you say hilariously expensive, do you mean dallas specifically or texas in general?

What about the kansas city area? Anyone with experience there? That's the other location I'm looking at. We have a few big offices in that general region. Texas has more general appeal to me but I've never been to either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

breakingtime91
11-05-2020, 06:45 PM
I am looking at lubbock for starts.

Sig_Fiend
11-05-2020, 08:43 PM
If you look at the current voting record in the panhandle, there are a whole lot of counties where the "red" vote has been like 80-95% this time around, so that's a good sign if you're thinking of moving out that way.

If you want cheap land, there's tons of it in the West Texas desert for like a couple grand an acre. LOL

Also, over the last 3 elections, we've taken back a number of counties from the Left in the West, East, and even 6 or 7 in the South which is impressive. We did lose a few counties though. In Central Texas, Williamson, Hays, and Comal counties are at risk with the "cancer" being imported from leftist states. Austin is turning into San Francisco with housing prices, so the transplants are hitting every surrounding county and forgetting why they left. Not all are bad of course, but goddamn. I can't tell you how many I've met that have no understanding of the consequences of one's actions and why they left their states in the first place.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm in Central Texas, but my personal feeling is one of the worst affected is Travis County. It's shifted 11 points to the left in the last 3 elections. Over freakin 70% is what I'm seeing so far. We really need to retake that damn county + Austin. Oklahoma, frankly, is showing us up with their sea of 100% red over the past 3 elections.

Whatever you do though, probably avoid Houston. That place is straight Thunderdome. LOL

JAD
11-05-2020, 08:47 PM
?

What about the kansas city area? Anyone with experience there? That's the other location I'm looking at. We have a few big offices in that general region. Texas has more general appeal to me but I've never been to either.

It’s arguably the best place to live in the country.

I have to consider leaving NJ and I need the PF hive mind's input...
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=18787&share_tid=43212&share_pid=1072961&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpistol-forum%2Ecom%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D1072961&share_type=t&link_source=app

ranger
11-05-2020, 09:39 PM

Cant you transfer from VT NG to TX NG to finish commitments? I signed plenty of waiver forms for GAARNG moving out of state so they join another state ARNG due to job transfers, etc. Good luck

VT1032
11-05-2020, 10:12 PM
Cant you transfer from VT NG to TX NG to finish commitments? I signed plenty of waiver forms for GAARNG moving out of state so they join another state ARNG due to job transfers, etc. Good luck

Vermont has a numbers problem so they are horrible about clinging to soldiers, whether right or wrong. The guy I replaced in my first PL gig had an IST pending at state for over two years before they finally let him go. I like my current unit and I've seen enough horror stories that I figure I'll just finish out my time here and then make my move unless some perfect job offer were to pop up. The timing works well enough anyway in that my older kid will be starting kindergarten in 2022, plus my work currently has an agency wide hiring freeze that probably won't be lifted until towards the end of this FY.

Zincwarrior
11-05-2020, 11:16 PM
If you look at the current voting record in the panhandle, there are a whole lot of counties where the "red" vote has been like 80-95% this time around, so that's a good sign if you're thinking of moving out that way.

If you want cheap land, there's tons of it in the West Texas desert for like a couple grand an acre. LOL

Also, over the last 3 elections, we've taken back a number of counties from the Left in the West, East, and even 6 or 7 in the South which is impressive. We did lose a few counties though. In Central Texas, Williamson, Hays, and Comal counties are at risk with the "cancer" being imported from leftist states. Austin is turning into San Francisco with housing prices, so the transplants are hitting every surrounding county and forgetting why they left. Not all are bad of course, but goddamn. I can't tell you how many I've met that have no understanding of the consequences of one's actions and why they left their states in the first place.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm in Central Texas, but my personal feeling is one of the worst affected is Travis County. It's shifted 11 points to the left in the last 3 elections. Over freakin 70% is what I'm seeing so far. We really need to retake that damn county + Austin. Oklahoma, frankly, is showing us up with their sea of 100% red over the past 3 elections.

Whatever you do though, probably avoid Houston. That place is straight Thunderdome. LOL
Wimp. God made Houston to train the faithful! Gators, black widows, brown recluse, hurricanes, rich assholes and pickup drivers. Yee hah! You win or you die!

revchuck38
11-06-2020, 07:04 AM
Wimp. God made Houston to train the faithful! Gators, black widows, brown recluse, hurricanes, rich assholes and pickup drivers. Yee hah! You win or you die!

Every time I drive through Houston, I wish for a ring-mounted M2, or maybe a MK19.

jh9
11-06-2020, 07:25 AM
I must be the only person here that didn't think Houston was that bad, traffic wise. I've only driven to/through it a handful of times, tho

Nephrology
11-06-2020, 08:44 AM
Stuck in Colorado for a few years. I totally agree with your motivations and choice. It is frustrating.

Same. I will be looking to leave during the residency match. Denver sucks. Quite ready to get the hell out of here.

Le Français
11-06-2020, 08:52 AM
I must be the only person here that didn't think Houston was that bad, traffic wise. I've only driven to/through it a handful of times, tho

Same here.

Zincwarrior
11-06-2020, 09:20 AM
Every time I drive through Houston, I wish for a ring-mounted M2, or maybe a MK19.

When in Houston, we all do.:cool:

Glenn E. Meyer
11-06-2020, 10:09 AM
Ditto, I hated the circular roads and traffic. Wasn't a fan of Dallas. Loved Austin until the Fall. So sad.