PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Ruger LCR .357 3"BBL Talk me out of it!

4given
10-28-2020, 04:40 PM
I'm looking at a used Ruger LCR .357 3"BBL

Seems like it would make a good light weight carry piece. Any body have one? Love it? Hate it?

ScotchMan
10-28-2020, 05:56 PM
Since your title says to talk you out of it...

The LCR is a pocket gun, getting it in a 3" barrel is a compromise that doesn't win on anything.

If you want a pocket gun, get the 2" barrel LCR or a 642/442. If you want a 3" gun, get one with a 6 round cylinder, and heavier so it is more shootable, since you will be carrying it in a proper belt holster or not at all.

The LCR in a 3" barrel is the worst of both worlds.

There, I talked you out of it.

Hizzie
10-28-2020, 06:00 PM
jetfire can probably offer some advice.

JRV
10-28-2020, 09:42 PM
I’ll talk you out of it.

Get a 3” S&W Model 60. It’s like 6-8 ounces heavier (depending on the version of LCR and version of Smith), it’s stainless steel, it looks gorgeous, the trigger is heavier but shorter with a more positive reset, the selection of stocks is better, and the speedloader options are better (friggin’ JetLoaders). The weight makes .357s manageable, and it’s no heavier than a Glock 19.

If you’re going to carry a 3” 5-shot, you’re already carrying kind of a dumb gun (I am allowed to say that, I’m wearing one right now). It’s Glock 19 size but snubby capacity. Might as well look good being dumb.

jetfire
10-29-2020, 07:14 AM

Seems like it would make a good light weight carry piece. Any body have one? Love it? Hate it?

The only reason I’d try and talk you out of it is that from the platform, the 3 inch 38 Special makes more sense. You’ll never shoot magnums out of it, or if you do you’ll only do it once, and the 38 gun is a couple oz lighter. I have carried one as EDC for a long time, and still use it as my go to for a lot of occasions. It’s definitely not a pocket gun, but it’s much easier to carry for extended periods than a Glock 19.

Oh and anyone who days a j-frame has a better trigger is smoking crack

Jason M
10-29-2020, 07:27 AM
The only reason I’d try and talk you out of it is that from the platform, the 3 inch 38 Special makes more sense. You’ll never shoot magnums out of it, or if you do you’ll only do it once, and the 38 gun is a couple oz lighter. I have carried one as EDC for a long time, and still use it as my go to for a lot of occasions. It’s definitely not a pocket gun, but it’s much easier to carry for extended periods than a Glock 19.

New J frames: This!

Old (pre MIM) J frames: Their triggers are usually fantastic.

Tokarev
10-29-2020, 08:27 AM
Don't overlook the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. Same size as the .357 but with one additional round in the cylinder. Plus the .327 appears to be a solid choice in a snub if you're concerned about FBI ammunition performance specs.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/5/30/the-underappreciated-32-magnums

vaglocker
10-29-2020, 08:32 AM
Don't overlook the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. Same size as the .357 but with one additional round in the cylinder. Plus the .327 appears to be a solid choice in a snub if you're concerned about FBI ammunition performance specs.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/5/30/the-underappreciated-32-magnums

Do they make this in the 3 inch now?

JRV
10-29-2020, 08:39 AM

Call me Marion Barry.

LCR is virgin light mushy break. J-frame is chad firm rolling break.

Stephanie B
10-29-2020, 09:06 AM

A lightweight .357 sounds like something only a masochist would love to shoot.

Tokarev
10-29-2020, 09:14 AM

If you want .327 in a 3" you'll likely have to go with an SP101. As far as I know Ruger doesn't offer a 3" .327 LCR.

4given
10-29-2020, 09:25 AM
I’ll talk you out of it.

Get a 3” S&W Model 60. It’s like 6-8 ounces heavier (depending on the version of LCR and version of Smith), it’s stainless steel, it looks gorgeous, the trigger is heavier but shorter with a more positive reset, the selection of stocks is better, and the speedloader options are better (friggin’ JetLoaders). The weight makes .357s manageable, and it’s no heavier than a Glock 19.

If you’re going to carry a 3” 5-shot, you’re already carrying kind of a dumb gun (I am allowed to say that, I’m wearing one right now). It’s Glock 19 size but snubby capacity. Might as well look good being dumb.

I have a M60-2 4" already. Great pistol.

M60 3" are rare as hen's teeth. I found one for sale local but it has the dreaded lock. I would do a 3" M60 or M65 if I could find the right one. Or a M64

4given
10-29-2020, 09:28 AM
A lightweight .357 sounds like something only a masochist would love to shoot.

Agreed. I would only fire 38 special in it. The reason I am considering this pistol is I may be able to get a pretty good deal on it. I would rather have a 3" K frame but I can't seem to find what I want.

4given
10-29-2020, 09:34 AM

The .327 is pretty tempting but I want to stay with .357/.38 Special

jetfire
10-29-2020, 11:00 AM

No, and the Prescott PD says the next time I try to sneak my drawings for one under the door of Ruger's chief engineer I'm going to go to jail

4given
10-29-2020, 11:32 AM

I think the 38 special is a little less expensive too.

jetfire
10-29-2020, 11:55 AM
I think the 38 special is a little less expensive too.

The other reason I recommend 38 Special guns over 357 Mag is that if we accept all we're going to be shorting is 38 Special, it makes more sense to get the shorter cylinder, which is less freebore to jump. I know that it doesn't really make the guns that much more accurate, but in my stupid head it's worth it. Plus, you can zero the adjustable sights on your 3 inch 38 Special gun for 148 grain wadcutters and have a carry gun that's actually pleasant to shoot.

4given
10-29-2020, 12:03 PM
The other reason I recommend 38 Special guns over 357 Mag is that if we accept all we're going to be shorting is 38 Special, it makes more sense to get the shorter cylinder, which is less freebore to jump. I know that it doesn't really make the guns that much more accurate, but in my stupid head it's worth it. Plus, you can zero the adjustable sights on your 3 inch 38 Special gun for 148 grain wadcutters and have a carry gun that's actually pleasant to shoot.

Makes sense. I'll probably keep looking. I don't think my deal on the LCRx .357 is going to go through now anyway. I already have two J frame snubbies to shoot wadcutters out of. I probably won't be gaining too much over them with a 3" barrel.

4given
10-29-2020, 12:33 PM
I'm thinking I might be better off getting a pair of magna grips for my M66-2 and calling it good for now.

4given
10-29-2020, 12:39 PM
I have a M60-2 4" already. Great pistol.

M60 3" are rare as hen's teeth. I found one for sale local but it has the dreaded lock. I would do a 3" M60 or M65 if I could find the right one. Or a M64

I meant to say I have a M66 4"

Buckeye63
10-29-2020, 12:43 PM
I have a LCR 357 & LCR 327. Both with 2 inch barrels ... To me they are not pocket carry.. even with compact boot grips ... frame size is bout the same as a SP101 , Charter Bulldog, 856 & Colt D frame ....they use same holsters ...
So its hip carry ..a 3 inch barrel wouldn’t make much difference carry wise ...

OlongJohnson
10-29-2020, 01:09 PM

For me, the whole point of the LCR is a lightweight carry gun. The .38 is a useful amount more lighter weighter, and therefore more effectively achieves the purpose of carrying something where the compromise is it's so ugly you conceal it not because it's smart or polite, but in order to not be seen carrying it.

I still want a three-inch 337 or 340.

Duelist
10-29-2020, 01:21 PM
I meant to say I have a M66 4"

A model 60 is a different beast. If I am going to shoot more than a handful of rounds through one of my jframes, I can pick between beating the crap out of my wrist with my 642, and maybe tearing off a piece of skin, or having a very enjoyable day shooting my 60-9.

I mostly shoot the 60-9 when i shoot a J nowadays. I never shoot .357 through it, though. Finally got a little bit smarter!

And shoot a model 15 or 28 when I’m really shooting some revolver rounds up.

RJ
10-29-2020, 01:22 PM
For me, the whole point of the LCR is a lightweight carry gun. The .38 is a useful amount more lighter weighter, and therefore more effectively achieves the purpose of carrying something where the compromise it it's so ugly you conceal it not because it's smart or polite, but in order to not be seen carrying it.

Epic. :cool:

JRV
10-29-2020, 02:05 PM

That would carry like an LCR while also being aesthetically pleasing and with decent grip options.

It will never happen.

RevolverRob
10-29-2020, 02:06 PM
To be honest, if I'm going up to a 3" gun, I'm going to probably move to a steel 6-shooter. It's a belt gun at that point anyways. That said, that LCRx 3" .38 is damned light at ~16 ounces compared to a Colt King Cobra 3" (28oz), Kimber K6s 3" (25.1 oz), or GP100 (36oz for the 3" WC).

Why don't they make that thing in 9mm? Or better yet, blow it up to 22oz in weight and size and make it a .45ACP 5-shooter. :eek: ;)

C'mon Ruger - we need a .45ACP, moon-clipped, 5-shot, polymer framed, 3" LCR - call it the LCRxL, adjustable rear sight, dot front. Something that beats out the crappy Charter Arms and Taurus offerings available now.

Stephanie B
10-29-2020, 02:30 PM
C'mon Ruger - we need a .45ACP, moon-clipped, 5-shot, polymer framed, 3" LCR - call it the LCRxL, adjustable rear sight, dot front. Something that beats out the crappy Charter Arms and Taurus offerings available now.

.44 Special.

RevolverRob
10-29-2020, 02:42 PM
.44 Special.

They've got the 5-shot GP100 for that.

I want something with a short cylinder that I can feed a bunch of 225-grain flatpoint reloads through...because they don't run in my 1911s. :eek:

Plus, there are viable short-barrel .45ACP loads and there really isn't anything besides the Gold Dot in .44SPL.

Finally, moon-clips. If you're going to get stuck with a compact 5-shooter, being able to reload it right quick would be a good thing. :D

OlongJohnson
10-29-2020, 02:42 PM
That would carry like an LCR while also being aesthetically pleasing and with decent grip options.

It will never happen.

Not for me, not at these prices.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880133449

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-model-mp360-0

oregon45
10-29-2020, 02:44 PM
.41 Special in a short cylinder designed for bullets up to 180gr would be a good fit for a 5-shot LCR "big bore" snub-nose.

Stephanie B
10-29-2020, 02:53 PM
.41 Special in a short cylinder designed for bullets up to 180gr would be a good fit for a 5-shot LCR "big bore" snub-nose.

I thought about that, but these days, I kind of doubt that a mainstream gun company's going to bring out a new cartridge in that range. Especially when they could make a moonclipped .40.

JRV
10-29-2020, 02:55 PM
Not for me, not at these prices.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880133449

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-model-mp360-0

They were discontinued for a reason. Same with the 386 Nightguard.

Everyone is awful and wants to spend money on Shields and M&Ps, so they make oodles of those boring things...

Tokarev
10-29-2020, 03:34 PM
They've got the 5-shot GP100 for that.

I want something with a short cylinder that I can feed a bunch of 225-grain flatpoint reloads through...because they don't run in my 1911s. :eek:

Plus, there are viable short-barrel .45ACP loads and there really isn't anything besides the Gold Dot in .44SPL.

Finally, moon-clips. If you're going to get stuck with a compact 5-shooter, being able to reload it right quick would be a good thing. :D

.44 Special.

To be honest, if I'm going up to a 3" gun, I'm going to probably move to a steel 6-shooter. It's a belt gun at that point anyways. That said, that LCRx 3" .38 is damned light at ~16 ounces compared to a Colt King Cobra 3" (28oz), Kimber K6s 3" (25.1 oz), or GP100 (36oz for the 3" WC).

Why don't they make that thing in 9mm? Or better yet, blow it up to 22oz in weight and size and make it a .45ACP 5-shooter. :eek: ;)

I email the CEO once or twice a year suggesting that Ruger should bring a "midsize" LCR to market. Something that's big enough to take 5 rounds of 44 SPL or 41 Mag or 45 ACP on a clip. The same gun would easily take six rounds of 357 or seven rounds of 32/327. It could have a steel or aluminum chassis depending on chambering just like the current LCR. Depending on how they do it, the gun would have enough meat in the top strap for a dovetailed rear sight as is currently done on the Clapp models.

I guess Ruger thinks I'm wrong but I think something like this would sell well and become pretty much the modern standard for defensive/hunting/carry "big bore" revolvers.

This reminds me that it is time to send another email to Mr. Killoy. I'll leave this here if anyone needs it...

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO/

RevolverRob
10-29-2020, 04:53 PM
This reminds me that it is time to send another email to Mr. Killoy. I'll leave this here if anyone needs it...

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO/

I went to email him, ".45 ACP DA Super GP100 and .45 ACP 5-shot LCRxl."

But alas, this was at the bottom of the page:

TheNewbie
10-29-2020, 05:10 PM

Same thing for me earlier.

Stephanie B
10-29-2020, 05:17 PM

It could have been a restraining order..... :cool:

Chuck Whitlock
11-03-2020, 09:36 AM

.44 Special.

.41 Magnum. If you're going to be a bear, be a Grizzly! :cool:

Seriously, though, a .41 Mag GP100 would have me hocking a kidney.