PDA

View Full Version : #revolvermasterrace

03RN
10-27-2020, 04:04 PM
I really do love this gun. It's compact, light enough to lounge around with, freakishly accurate, and just fits in with my lifestyle.

https://youtu.be/sNDqFG86HQs

03RN
10-27-2020, 04:49 PM

4given
10-29-2020, 12:38 PM
I really do love this gun. It's compact, light enough to lounge around with, freakishly accurate, and just fits in with my lifestyle.

What is it? I watched the video but couldn't tell

03RN
10-29-2020, 02:52 PM
What is it? I watched the video but couldn't tell

Just me doing drills

4given
10-29-2020, 02:55 PM
Just me doing drills\

I mean what hangun is it you are using.

03RN
10-29-2020, 03:03 PM
\

I mean what hangun is it you are using.

M66-8

4given
10-29-2020, 03:06 PM
M66-8

3" BBL?

Oh I see the picture now! Nice pistol. 2.75"? My M66-2 is 4" with a square butt. Not as handy a carry gun as yours

LittleLebowski
10-29-2020, 03:42 PM
#revolvermasterrace (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=revolvermasterrace)

03RN
10-29-2020, 07:08 PM
3" BBL?

Oh I see the picture now! Nice pistol. 2.75"? My M66-2 is 4" with a square butt. Not as handy a carry gun as yours

Yeah, 2.75"

03RN
10-29-2020, 07:15 PM
#revolvermasterrace (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=revolvermasterrace)

Weren't you talking about getting a revolver?

4given
10-30-2020, 08:54 AM
Weren't you talking about getting a revolver?

Yeah I thought I had a trade going for a LCRx 3" .357 but it fell through. I wasn't really sure that is what I wanted anyway hence the "talk me out of it" post I made.

I think I might like a 3" K frame or something like it for concealed carry for when I can't take a Glock 19 or P365. I have my M66-2 4" square butt I could use but it would not be ideal. I can always fall back on my M638 or 642 so it really isn't a big deal. I'm just planning ahead for more restrictive laws that may be on the horizon.

Zeke38
10-30-2020, 11:37 AM
Forgiven: consider getting your 66 roundbutted. When I first made plainclothes decades ago, I was a poor cop with wife and family. Only had a Model 19 4". That square butt had to go, as there was no money for a new firearm. Brownells has the tools to round butt. It's what I did and an IWB in summer and an OWB in winter worked well. Just a thought.

4given
10-30-2020, 02:42 PM
Forgiven: consider getting your 66 roundbutted. When I first made plainclothes decades ago, I was a poor cop with wife and family. Only had a Model 19 4". That square butt had to go, as there was no money for a new firearm. Brownells has the tools to round butt. It's what I did and an IWB in summer and an OWB in winter worked well. Just a thought.

That's a possibility for sure. I was also thinking of magna style grips and a Tyler T-Grip might do the trick.

4given
10-30-2020, 03:08 PM

I found these:

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/smith-wesson-tools/9906-ptg-round-butt-fitting-guide-sw-k-l-frame.html?search_query=k+frame+&results=4

BillSWPA
10-30-2020, 03:40 PM
Yeah I thought I had a trade going for a LCRx 3" .357 but it fell through. I wasn't really sure that is what I wanted anyway hence the "talk me out of it" post I made.

I think I might like a 3" K frame or something like it for concealed carry for when I can't take a Glock 19 or P365. I have my M66-2 4" square butt I could use but it would not be ideal. I can always fall back on my M638 or 642 so it really isn't a big deal. I'm just planning ahead for more restrictive laws that may be on the horizon.

I am having a really hard time envisioning a situation in which you could not carry a Glock 19 or Sig P365 but could carry a 3” K-frame. I have been carrying my P365 most days, and with 10 round flat base par magazines, I can pocket carry it.

When and where are you thinking of carrying whatever new gun you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03RN
10-30-2020, 04:32 PM
I found these:

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/smith-wesson-tools/9906-ptg-round-butt-fitting-guide-sw-k-l-frame.html?search_query=k+frame+&results=4

$32 is very reasonable but I winged it with my m64.

4given
10-30-2020, 04:39 PM
I am having a really hard time envisioning a situation in which you could not carry a Glock 19 or Sig P365 but could carry a 3” K-frame. I have been carrying my P365 most days, and with 10 round flat base par magazines, I can pocket carry it.

My P365 is in my pocket as I type this. I pocket carry it almost everyday.

I am probably "future trippin'" just a bit....

I am licenced to carry in 40 states and I am retiring in 3.5 years and will be traveling, Lord willing. I will be spending a lot of time crossing the Colorado River between AZ and CA. It light of this plus the evolving political situation, I am in the process of putting together tools that are legal in most places with relatively "non-threatening" looks. I plan to take revolvers, a lever action carbine and perhaps a pump shotgun. All traditional looking, wood stocks, standard sights, no black plastic, pure Fudd.

4given
10-30-2020, 04:45 PM
$32 is very reasonable but I winged it with my m64.

NICE!

I would be more willing to do it to a beater M64 ....

You know, the M64 4" I fixed up for my wife has a factory round butt. Don't think I can talk her out of it, she dearly loves it.. Maybe she would let me "borrow" it!

deputyG23
10-30-2020, 07:24 PM
QUOTE=BillSWPA;1134095]I am having a really hard time envisioning a situation in which you could not carry a Glock 19 or Sig P365 but could carry a 3” K-frame. I have been carrying my P365 most days, and with 10 round flat base par magazines, I can pocket carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Carry guns are like underwear. What is workable for one person is torture to his neighbor.
A round butt 3” K carried IWB is my go to off duty gun when my hips and back act up.
The Glock 23 slide presses into my right hip at the right spot to cause pain.
A 3” K does not press that spot and the round butt and spur less hammer of my M64 NY-1 slightly aids concealment and doesn’t snag on clothing.62468

BillSWPA
10-30-2020, 09:19 PM
My P365 is in my pocket as I type this. I pocket carry it almost everyday.

I am probably "future trippin'" just a bit....

I am licenced to carry in 40 states and I am retiring in 3.5 years and will be traveling, Lord willing. I will be spending a lot of time crossing the Colorado River between AZ and CA. It light of this plus the evolving political situation, I am in the process of putting together tools that are legal in most places with relatively "non-threatening" looks. I plan to take revolvers, a lever action carbine and perhaps a pump shotgun. All traditional looking, wood stocks, standard sights, no black plastic, pure Fudd.

This makes a lot of sense.

Be careful when going into some of those more restrictive states. I am not familiar with CA law, but at least some states require having some type of license or firearms purchaser ID card in order to possess at least certain types of guns outside the home (or even in the home), even unloaded and locked up for transportation.

4given
10-31-2020, 09:56 AM

Be careful when going into some of those more restrictive states. I am not familiar with CA law, but at least some states require having some type of license or firearms purchaser ID card in order to possess at least certain types of guns outside the home (or even in the home), even unloaded and locked up for transportation.

Will do sir! Good advice

deputyG23
11-06-2020, 07:14 PM

NY and NJ come to mind.
On the rare occasions that I drive there, I go unarmed, despite LEOSA, and shake the vehicle down completely for any stray cartridge cases or anything gun related.
Paranoid maybe, but I refuse to be a LEOSA test case in their court system.
Also, my trips there usually involve a cruise of several days embarking from the NYC cruise ship terminal and an unattended firearm for a week in a vehicle is a no go.

Yung
11-06-2020, 08:06 PM
I still need to buy a pair of LCRs.

ragnar_d
11-06-2020, 09:52 PM
I still need to buy a pair of LCRs.

Good luck. I’ve been watching LCRs on Gunbroker for the last couple months and closing bids of MSRP+ is pretty common. One .327 FM model I was watching sold for $900.

medmo
11-07-2020, 09:20 AM

Nicely done! Have any FAST drill times? I have searched around previously to see if anyone runs the FAST with revolvers and has some numbers posted but haven’t found anything.

Yung
11-07-2020, 12:47 PM
Good luck.

Yes, and .327 Fed-Mag is pretty much what I'm looking for. My plan is to have my local range order them for me and the cost will be offset a bit by a discount I get for being a volunteer.

03RN
11-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Nicely done! Have any FAST drill times? I have searched around previously to see if anyone runs the FAST with revolvers and has some numbers posted but haven’t found anything.

Unfortunately I dont. I need a shot timer.

Shooting a match with it tomorrow though

TGS
11-07-2020, 03:04 PM
I need a shot timer.

Free, easy, works well, doesn't spontaneously break for no reason:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stimer&hl=en_US

medmo
11-07-2020, 10:29 PM
Unfortunately I dont. I need a shot timer.

Shooting a match with it tomorrow though

Maybe you can squeeze one in tomorrow if they have a practice fire? I’m reloading some 38SPECS now and will work the FAST in the next couple of weeks with my Kimber. Thinking it would be cool to get some FAST wheely numbers from us PF peops.

03RN
11-08-2020, 02:11 PM
Maybe you can squeeze one in tomorrow if they have a practice fire? I’m reloading some 38SPECS now and will work the FAST in the next couple of weeks with my Kimber. Thinking it would be cool to get some FAST wheely numbers from us PF peops.

Wasn't able to today. I brought my 2 year old and by the last stage was starting to get cranky so we had to bring him home for his nap.

03RN
11-09-2020, 09:28 PM
More videos to follow, including my son helping me to reload comp 2s:cool:

https://youtu.be/xanTqsmSA20

medmo
11-09-2020, 11:16 PM
Wasn't able to today. I brought my 2 year old and by the last stage was starting to get cranky so we had to bring him home for his nap.

I ran the FAST drill 5x this afternoon with the 2” Kimber K6S after some dry fire warm up. Best time 12.06, worst 17.34, and average of 14. The +17 run was a chaotic cluster with me managing to dump 5 in the cylinder and leaving one still in the HKS speed loader lying in the dirt. First time running this drill with a wheely. Definitely a hoot and am going to continue running it. I learned that I’m going to need a lot more dry runs with the reload to get faster. Caleb has a sub 7 second run on YouTube, link below, using moon clips. TK Custom said moon clips are a no go for the K6S as there isn’t enough material so I’ve got to get better at jamming and twisting with the HKS.

https://youtu.be/ssSECLRAli4

03RN
11-10-2020, 07:48 AM
I ran the FAST drill 5x this afternoon with the 2” Kimber K6S after some dry fire warm up. Best time 12.06, worst 17.34, and average of 14. The +17 run was a chaotic cluster with me managing to dump 5 in the cylinder and leaving one still in the HKS speed loader lying in the dirt. First time running this drill with a wheely. Definitely a hoot and am going to continue running it. I learned that I’m going to need a lot more dry runs with the reload to get faster. Caleb has a sub 7 second run on YouTube, link below, using moon clips. TK Custom said moon clips are a no go for the K6S as there isn’t enough material so I’ve got to get better at jamming and twisting with the HKS.

https://youtu.be/ssSECLRAli4

Good job, I might be able to run it this week.

https://youtu.be/3GI9EKctn6U

Half Moon
11-10-2020, 08:19 AM

My times are about 7 seconds flat with a K snub, Jetloaders, and retaining the revolver in the strong hand / reloading weak hand. Move to Comp II's and that moves to about 7.5 seconds. J snub with HKS speedloaders is about 8.5. All that took a lot of dry fire practice. Initial results when I decided to work on FAST were more like mid-13's. Between COVID and a mild case of tennis elbow I haven't practiced much dry or live for the last couple months. Without regular practice my numbers have probably regressed.

BN
11-10-2020, 10:43 AM

I looked in my old records and found where I had run the FAST in the 7 to 8 second range with a few clean runs. And several not clean runs. :( I was using speed loader revolvers.

Here is a link to the FAST Wall of Fame.
https://pistol-training.com/fastest/fast-wall-of-fame

03RN
11-10-2020, 02:55 PM
https://youtu.be/umblC3mstGY

feudist
11-10-2020, 06:49 PM
https://youtu.be/umblC3mstGY

I always wanted to shoot one of those Rotator targets. They look tough.

03RN
11-10-2020, 07:21 PM
My helper

https://youtu.be/Efxgh3syIRI

03RN
11-10-2020, 07:23 PM
I always wanted to shoot one of those Rotator targets. They look tough.

Would of been easier if I didn't miss so much.

Wish I had some heavier loads too. I was shooting 158gr hardcasts over 7gr unique

03RN
11-11-2020, 04:37 PM
I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised that the ahrend grips were not slippery. It was only 100 rounds but they felt good. I was concerned they would.

SCCY Marshal
11-12-2020, 09:42 AM
Had your spinner stage playing in the background and the Polish plate rack sounded like solid work. Went back to re-watch and it was. Nice job! I've seen people take longer to clean one with a shotgun.

Malamute
11-12-2020, 11:09 AM

Wish I had some heavier loads too. I was shooting 158gr hardcasts over 7gr unique

Have you chronographed those loads?

03RN
11-12-2020, 12:09 PM
Had your spinner stage playing in the background and the Polish plate rack sounded like solid work. Went back to re-watch and it was. Nice job! I've seen people take longer to clean one with a shotgun.

Thanks

03RN
11-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Have you chronographed those loads?

Not yet, i was gifted a chronograph recently but I hike to where I shoot which is no excuse but I just need to plan a day to chronograph all my loads.

Malamute
11-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Not yet, i was gifted a chronograph recently but I hike to where I shoot which is no excuse but I just need to plan a day to chronograph all my loads.

Im interested to learn what you come up with.

Ive used 6.5 grs Unique for a moderate +P load but never had any chrono info. Older manuals vary a lot in results, Im curious what some real life results are.

Thanks

Johnny Walker
11-12-2020, 02:07 PM

The last time I was loading and shooting +P 38 special, I was using Starline brass, 6.0 gr Unique, Fed 100 primer, and the Lyman 358156 which I bought at a gun show pre-lubed with a red waxy lube at .358". Out of my Model 19, 4" barrel, IIRC, Chrono was in the 1055 FPS range and they were a pleasure to shoot. I have also substituted the RCBS 158gr round nose flat point at times using about the same formula as above. 7 gr Unique seems like a pretty hefty charge of Unique for 158gr in 38 spec brass.

When I wanted more oompf for woods bumming and during hunting season, I would load using 2400, I believe that was 11.5-12.0 grains, same brass and primer as above. That was moving along at 1200+. Solid performer and a healthy bark!

You did a great job taking on the targets in your videos and looked better than many of the "Grock" shooters I see at the local IDPA match.

03RN
11-12-2020, 02:53 PM
The last time I was loading and shooting +P 38 special, I was using Starline brass, 6.0 gr Unique, Fed 100 primer, and the Lyman 358156 which I bought at a gun show pre-lubed with a red waxy lube at .358". Out of my Model 19, 4" barrel, IIRC, Chrono was in the 1055 FPS range and they were a pleasure to shoot. I have also substituted the RCBS 158gr round nose flat point at times using about the same formula as above. 7 gr Unique seems like a pretty hefty charge of Unique for 158gr in 38 spec brass.

When I wanted more oompf for woods bumming and during hunting season, I would load using 2400, I believe that was 11.5-12.0 grains, same brass and primer as above. That was moving along at 1200+. Solid performer and a healthy bark!

You did a great job taking on the targets in your videos and looked better than many of the "Grock" shooters I see at the local IDPA match.

Thanks

Those were .357 loads. My .38 load is 5.2gr unique.

Johnny Walker
11-12-2020, 03:03 PM
Thanks

Aha! That makes more sense.

I must have misread your post earlier.. my bad.

Johnny Walker
11-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Thanks

You had mentioned earlier that you wished they had been heavier loads... by that do you mean that you are looking at heavier bullet ( ala 180-200 grain bullet ) or heavier powder charge?

03RN
11-12-2020, 07:17 PM
You had mentioned earlier that you wished they had been heavier loads... by that do you mean that you are looking at heavier bullet ( ala 180-200 grain bullet ) or heavier powder charge?

Im sure heavier bullets would help but my standard mag load is a 158gr hardcast over 13.5gr 2400. Its the upper limit with what I can shoot fast and accurately in this gun.

Its the first time ive ever shot one of those spinners.

revchuck38
11-12-2020, 09:19 PM

Im interested to learn what you come up with.

Ive used 6.5 grs Unique for a moderate +P load but never had any chrono info. Older manuals vary a lot in results, Im curious what some real life results are.

Thanks

6.8 grains under a 158 lead bullet in .357 Mag brass was the max load Alliant listed about 10-15 years ago. I loaded up a bunch for use in IDPA ESR and they ran about 1100 fps from my 4" 681.

Six grains of Unique under a 170 LSWC in .38 brass runs about 1070 fps from my 4" M28. 6.5 would put it well over 1100 fps.

Malamute
11-12-2020, 10:04 PM
6.8 grains under a 158 lead bullet in .357 Mag brass was the max load Alliant listed about 10-15 years ago. I loaded up a bunch for use in IDPA ESR and they ran about 1100 fps from my 4" 681.

Six grains of Unique under a 170 LSWC in .38 brass runs about 1070 fps from my 4" M28. 6.5 would put it well over 1100 fps.

Thanks, I was estimating 1100 fps in mag cases in a 4" gun for the 6.5 gr loads, fairly close. I dont recall which manuals I used when I first started loading those, but it was 1980s period. Its not full bore magnum muzzle blast, but definitely more than 38 spl loads, even +P levels. Its also in the pressure range that Unique burns fairly clean. 5.5 grs in spl cases isnt bad either, not quite to the levels of the 6.5/mag cases, but a useful step up for field loads and fairly clean burning.

revchuck38
11-12-2020, 10:08 PM
Malamute- I had inferred that you were loading .38 brass with that charge, my mistake.