PDA

View Full Version : For no reason, i want a lever gun

gtmtnbiker98
10-24-2020, 10:02 AM
I'm a total newb when it comes to the gun that won the Wild West. Looking for input, so far I'm considering either a Henry .45-70 item H010 ($799) and a Winchester 1886 .45-70. ($1099). Does the Winchester bring anything to the table for the added $300?

The intended use: I want it and could see some deer hunting use.

Help a lever action rookie out.

BobM
10-24-2020, 10:31 AM
I had a Marlin Guide Gun years ago. I sold it before Ohio legalized them for deer hunting. I’d get another Marlin if I was getting another 45/70.

gtmtnbiker98
10-24-2020, 10:36 AM
I had a Marlin Guide Gun years ago. I sold it before Ohio legalized them for deer hunting. I’d get another Marlin if I was getting another 45/70.

I haven't witnessed any Marlin's in stock to look at, Vance's is out as well.

fatdog
10-24-2020, 10:54 AM
I would be seeking a Marlin as well, love mine. The 1886 was not a rifle designed to be scoped if that matters. I hear very good things about he current Japanese made Winchesters in terms of quality. I know nothing about the Henry, they are relative new comers to that cartridge, it appears to be a Marlin pattern receiver and action, but I would hate the tube loading aspect, just the CAS shooter in me. If you are not an experienced .45-70 shooter, let me suggest for a "shooter" rifle you hope to put a lot of rounds down range with, you definitely want a rifle with a good butt pad. The steel butt plates that are on most of the 1886 tribe are absolutely brutal to deal with.

Robinson
10-24-2020, 11:02 AM
I'm a total newb when it comes to the gun that won the Wild West. Looking for input, so far I'm considering either a Henry .45-70 item H010 ($799) and a Winchester 1886 .45-70. ($1099). Does the Winchester bring anything to the table for the added $300?

That particular Henry model loads through an opening in the magazine tube, while the Winchester loads through a more traditional side-loading gate in the receiver. But Henry recently started offering a side-loading version of their rifle.

The Henry H010 is available with a modern padded butt, the Winchester 1886 has a crescent-shaped butt which looks nice but is less comfortable for shooting. Henry's side-loading model also has a crescent butt plate.

The Henry is American made whereas modern Winchesters are made by Miroku in Japan. Miroku manufactures fine rifles from what I've seen. Their 1886 rifle is pretty faithful to the original, though it uses modern steel and such. The action is pretty much still just as John Browning designed it.

If you want the traditional Winchester name, looks, and the Browning-designed action then the Winchester should be your choice. If you care purely about function or want a gun made here in the States then the Henry is definitely worth considering. Or look at Marlin, which is also an historic brand.

ETA: and what fatdog said.

SecondsCount
10-24-2020, 02:33 PM
45/70 is pretty cool but can I suggest something in a handgun caliber, such as 357, 44, or 45 Colt?

1- Much lower cost to feed which means you will shoot it more.

2- Less recoil.

3- You could still hunt with it as a rifle/ carbine will provide substantially more velocity.

farscott
10-24-2020, 02:44 PM
I also would recommend a round other than .45-70 for your first lever action. That being said Henry has impressed me. My FIL deer hunts with a .30-30 chambered Henry. A pistol cartridge like a .44 Magnum would be another good choice.

Lon
10-24-2020, 03:17 PM
Don’t forget this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17061-Lever-Guns

Chris @ Lucky Gunner also does a lot with lever guns. Lotsa lever gun posts on his IG page and website.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/why-everyone-likes-lever-actions/

Back when I worked in the gun shop I used to finger bang the 1886’s on a regular basis cuz they were awesome. But nowadays I’d probably go this route:

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1895-big-bore/model-1895-dark-series

Totem Polar
10-24-2020, 04:41 PM
I can’t hold a candle to the hard core lever peeps here, but I will say that I have owned 3 Henry’s and own 2 right now (.22mag pump and a .44mag lever). The fit and finish on each is great for the respective price points. The only complaint I have with the .44 mag Henry is the neck-tatted elephant in the room that is the loading gate. It’s essentially a sealed system. That said, the transfer bar safety is a bonus, working much like a Ruger SA revolver in application and management, and the tube mag makes dumping 10 rounds of Hornady 300 gr XTP onto the carpet or into my hand a triviality. Very cool for WA state idiosyncratic laws about loaded long guns in cars.

Plus, if 10 of those 300 grain pills don’t take the edge off, I’m #1, transitioning to the Glock, and #2 probably looking at my own wikipedia entry over the situation.

Did I mention that the action is incredibly smooth, and it’s accurate as hell?

I’m also of the mind that a pistol caliber for a first lever (or a 30-30, for different reasons) is a good idea, unless you live in the wind river range.
JMO.

Ps: https://www.wideopenspaces.com/10-reasons-henry-rifles-best/

rd62
10-24-2020, 05:15 PM
You spelled need wrong in this thread title.

That said, I am very much enjoying my new Marlin 1895GBL in .45-70. I topped it with XS sights and their LeverRail along with a Holosun 407cV2. Its a handy and potent package as well as aesthetically pleasing.

For knocking around a pistol caliber is probably more practical. The .45-70 will take any big game in North America. The .30-.30 is a great way to go if you're just going to have one.

Duelist
10-24-2020, 06:06 PM
I’ve owned a couple of levers, and shot a few more. IMHO, what caliber to get depends on what is useful where you live, what you are interested in, and what you can afford to feed. Which brand and model to get depends on preference and possibly purpose.

You can get levers that will run any .22 rimfire from short through long rifle loaded at the same time in the same tube. You can have .22 Magnum. Pistol calibers include pretty much any rimmed cartridge of the “cowboy” or frontier era up through the most modern bear stomping revolver rounds of today. Rifle rounds include the cross-over rounds of the frontier - .25-20, .32-20, .38-40, and .44-40, the .218 Bee, and on up to the largest rifle cartridges of the era including things like .38-55, .444 Marlin, .450 Marlin, and .45-70. Speaking of the .45-70, there’s a Marlin on display in the Tombstone history museum housed in the old courthouse that was used by a bear hunter in the late 1800s. It was discovered by his partially consumed remains when he failed to return from his last bear hunt - apparently, the old adage “Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes it gets you” was true then as it is now.

In my family, people who prefer lever actions have mostly used and hunted with Winchester or Marlin .30-30s. One rifle in my wife’s family was a Winchester 64 in .30-30 an old cowboy bought at some point before WWII. All of his sons remember shooting it and hunting with it, and when he passed at 102, the rifle was the only firearm in his house, and still sat ready behind his bedroom door in the old ranch house. One of his sons has it now. Other family members had 1894s, but there was also a Savage 99 in .308 a WWII vet bought and used for elk and deer for decades.

The first rifle I ever saw was a Marlin 336 in .30-30 my dad had when I was a small boy. He kept it locked up in the old coal room. It got sold to pay the rent, IIRC, well before I would have ever been old enough or large enough to get to shoot it.

I’ve owned a Marlin 30AS (plain birch stocked 336) in .30-30 and now have a Marlin 1894 in .357. Where I live, the .30-30 is used for deer by some, but I rarely hear of success with it or stories where a hunter would have found success with it. Perhaps we don’t know how to hunt anymore, but hunters around here rarely find success at ranges the .30-30 and other traditional lever rifle calibers are usually considered useful for, so I sold mine when I realized I didn’t really enjoy shooting it and hadn’t found a use for it. My .357, on the other hand, is a very enjoyable rifle to shoot, a handy size and weight, and my very slightly build adult daughter will shoot anything I can load in it and be perfectly happy.

My dad owns a Henry Golden Boy, and everyone loves it, but who doesn’t love a .22 lever action with a slick action and tube full of fun?

I have fired a couple of .45-70s. They were tolerable for a few rounds, but not really something I’d spend a lot of time shooting. If I needed a bear stomper, I’d consider getting one. But I don’t, so my lever action “just to have one, and maybe hunt a little with it” rifle is the .357. I have a few .38 and .357 revolvers, so a lever in the same caliber is kind of cool because I can load for it with the same supplies on the same equipment, and carry one type of ammunition when hiking or backpacking. I’d probably be just as happy with a .44 Magnum or .45 Colt pairing.

Just my viewpoint on it: I’d get a .22 or a revolver caliber compatible with your favorite revolver. At shorter ranges, the revolver calibers from a lever action will be quite effective on deer, useful for small game with the right loads, and a lot more enjoyable to shoot more than the heavies. And a .22 will be fun for everyone and useful on smaller game or for pest control.

Lester Polfus
10-24-2020, 06:16 PM
I can add more later, but if the Winchester you're looking at has a steel crescent butt plate, it will not be your friend.

Snapshot
10-24-2020, 06:34 PM
I can add more later, but if the Winchester you're looking at has a steel crescent butt plate, it will not be your friend.

This. Even in 44 magnum the take down carbine I have is not a lot of fun to shoot, which surprised me.

Snapshot
10-24-2020, 06:48 PM
As a southpaw I have always been fond of lever guns and have and have had several.

My favorite is a Browning BLR in 308 with a 20" barrel. It uses a detachable magazine which has some advantages and possibly some disadvantages compared to typical tubular magazines. I was already shooting 308 in other guns and wanted a lever action to keep the caliber creep to a minimum (this has been a failure but not because of the BLR).

One of the reasons I like it is that I was _extremely_ lucky one day and out-shot a pretty accomplished and dedicated buddy who was shooting his 30.06 bolt gun.

Mine is in stainless with a matching VX III 2.5-8, it has a polished wood stock with a curved pistol grip and gold colored trigger, so it is quite shiny. It is made by Miroku in Japan. For me it is just a target gun so can't speak to durability, but with all the bling probably not ideal for hard field use.

gtmtnbiker98
10-24-2020, 06:50 PM

I’ve all but ruled that one out, for that and the price difference. Can’t find a Marlin locally to handle, so leaning Henry at the moment.

Clusterfrack
10-24-2020, 06:57 PM
This. Even in 44 magnum the take down carbine I have is not a lot of fun to shoot, which surprised me.

This girl weighs 99 lbs... I’m not calling you guys pussies, but... :D
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201024/fab42ea3c2a4e4178602d5dd45e608fe.jpg

Shumba
10-24-2020, 07:04 PM
I own a Browning 1886 carbine in .45-70. The barrel is 22”.
Adding a lace on butt pad from Lion Country Supply made the gun very pleasant to shoot with my heaviest load, a 330 lead hollow point, aka the Gould bullet, at 1750 FPS. This load shoots to the sights at 100 yards.
The Black Hills cowboy loads are very mild by comparison.
I have some 300 grain Partitions squirreled away that travel just shy of 1900, but they hit 4” high at 100.
Do not get a .45-70 with a crescent butt plate. Period.
I also own 2 Shiloh Sharps, an 1892 Springfield Trapdoor and a Browning 1885, all in .45-70.
The 1886 is my favorite in the woods.
The Winchester 93 and Marlin 336 are better general purpose guns IMHO.
But the 1886 is more FUN!
Take the plunge.
Shumba

Lon
10-24-2020, 07:10 PM
For knocking around a pistol caliber is probably more practical. The .45-70 will take any big game in North America. The .30-.30 is a great way to go if you're just going to have one.

.30-30 isn’t legal for deer in OH. Think he wants that as an option. Stupid laws.

gtmtnbiker98
10-24-2020, 07:12 PM
.30-30 isn’t legal for deer in OH. Think he wants that as an option. Stupid laws.

Spot on.

rd62
10-24-2020, 07:42 PM

Well, that sucks

WobblyPossum
10-24-2020, 08:21 PM
I really want a Marlin 1894 CST. I want to put a CROM with a red dot on it and I want to suppress it and plink things with sub-sonic .38 specials.

Lon
10-24-2020, 08:31 PM
Well, that sucks

It’s only been within the last 10 years or so they changed the law to allow center fire rifles of any kind. Just shotguns, handguns and black powder previously.

Malamute
10-24-2020, 09:30 PM
Im a huge 1886 fan, nothing else comes close to me for a large caliber lever gun. I had a Marlin, I had the half magazine extended to full before the factory did it, but when I got a Browning 86 the Marlin doesnt get used much.

Im bit surprised to see people talking about the butt plate on rifles like theres no way to change it. Most of us change all sorts of things on most of our guns. Its pretty simple to chop the crescent off and put a solid rifle pad on, filling the little space on the comb with wood. I had the one on my 86 rifle done after shooting some 500 gr loads @ 1750 fps from a bench. The more normal loads weret too bad, but Ive never been a fan of crescent butts in any event. I later traded into a shotgun butt stock from one of the 1886 extra-light rifles, which that model is probably one of the better ideas in the 86 line. Its a flat steel checkered butt, but in "shotgun" form, meaning wider, deeper, less drop at the heel and comb, and better angle. Its pretty much what most rifle stocks evolved into later. I;later came into an 1886 carbine, the carbine steel butt isnt bad to shoot with full steam bear loads of 400 gr Barnes @ 1850-ish fps. The 300s are pretty cushy.

The modern Henry company seems to make decent quality guns, they just dont have the history and character that Winchesters do, which is one of the things I like about the lever guns.

I see the 1886 Extra-lights on gunbroker now and then, its probably one of the more user friendly versions. Shotgun butt, half magazine, light weight 22" round barrel. A hunters rifle.

Totem Polar
10-24-2020, 10:17 PM
Spot on.

I think that you are squarely in .44mag territory, then.

ETA: here, let me help:

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61168&stc=1&d=1601571555

Duelist
10-24-2020, 10:33 PM
I think that you are squarely in .44mag territory, then.

ETA: here, let me help:

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61168&stc=1&d=1601571555

That’s beautiful.

Totem Polar
10-24-2020, 11:52 PM
That’s beautiful.

Sadly, not my pic. :(

On the other hand, that is nonetheless exactly what my .44 looks like. :D :D

JimLob65
10-25-2020, 04:40 AM
I bought a Henry Steel in 38spl/357 about 6 weeks ago and really like it. Although as it turns out it has one of the worst triggers I have seen on a Henry it is still pretty darn good. Recoil with the only 357 ammo I have found, Winchester 110gr is practically non existent, functions fine and looks great!

Henry also makes the Long Ranger for modern Centerfire cartridges like the .308, is box magazine fed and features the same rack & pinion style action as the Browning BLR with a higher comb for scope use.

Crazy Dane
10-26-2020, 10:22 AM
This girl weighs 99 lbs... I’m not calling you guys pussies, but... :D
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201024/fab42ea3c2a4e4178602d5dd45e608fe.jpg

I have had this revelation also. ;) Shooting magnums out of my 1894 isn't what I would call a heavy or unpleasant recoil. Shooting specials out of it is akin to a .22 magnum.

HeavyDuty
10-26-2020, 10:55 AM
Slightly different than what has been discussed, but I’ve been looking on and off for a specific lever action for a few years now - a Savage 99 in .308 with the integral rotary magazine and peeps. Not one of the later ones.

Crazy Dane
10-26-2020, 11:20 AM
Slightly different than what has been discussed, but I’ve been looking on and off for a specific lever action for a few years now - a Savage 99 in .308 with the integral rotary magazine and peeps. Not one of the later ones.

I have one sans peeps, that was my dads. It is a carbine model and after my dad having to have the chamber recut because of to many hot reloads it is about an inch and a half shorter. Sadly it is in need of a new barrel as it shows the chamber has stretched again. I also had one in .300 Savage that had a stretched chamber and at the time(pre internet)not finding a gun smith that would re-barrel I ended up selling it. This is a project that I am working on along with the re-barrel of the Ruger M77 that replaced the M99 in .300

HeavyDuty
10-26-2020, 11:45 AM
I have one sans peeps, that was my dads. It is a carbine model and after my dad having to have the chamber recut because of to many hot reloads it is about an inch and a half shorter. Sadly it is in need of a new barrel as it shows the chamber has stretched again. I also had one in .300 Savage that had a stretched chamber and at the time(pre internet)not finding a gun smith that would re-barrel I ended up selling it. This is a project that I am working on along with the re-barrel of the Ruger M77 that replaced the M99 in .300

I’ve been watching for one that is a candidate for refinishing and possibly rebarreling. I don’t know enough about the platform to know what to look for, it’s a back burner future project. And, who knows - I’ll probably get distracted at least a few times along the way. (BLR?)

Lester Polfus
10-26-2020, 12:12 PM
Are new Marlin leverguns even being made right now?

Crazy Dane
10-26-2020, 12:14 PM
I’ve been watching for one that is a candidate for refinishing and possibly rebarreling. I don’t know enough about the platform to know what to look for, it’s a back burner future project. And, who knows - I’ll probably get distracted at least a few times along the way. (BLR?)

I only know enough to know that the 99C in .300 had a shorter magazine than dads 99E model. When I was looking into a new barrel I tried loading .308 into it and the rounds wouldn't fit. The chamber stretching isn't bad on dads yet, the brass out of it is a little harder to size than most. The .300 would split cases.

https://i.ibb.co/QK5hnzD/BF26-A7-F8-91-E1-4122-91-B4-8628-A4-A7104-D.jpg (https://ibb.co/VqKbDrw)

https://i.ibb.co/SQHgN7s/ADE76573-4531-453-C-955-C-AB1-C34-EF5028.jpg (https://ibb.co/7gBDvNY)

Showing how much barrel had been cut off to rechamber, according to dad, Winchester was there in full.

https://i.ibb.co/7nBDXvq/3-D0-ACA96-D544-457-B-BFFF-C51-E35378-ADB.jpg (https://ibb.co/rxqhmkV)

https://i.ibb.co/G0xpjsf/803-FA2-CD-3030-4-CB8-AE94-F0-FA9-B9-AC8-F1.jpg (https://ibb.co/Y3RQGD4)

Rex G
10-26-2020, 12:27 PM

BLRs distract me, too. I saw one with a straight stock, in .308, at an LGS, last week. I resisted fondling it, but, it calls to me. I have two with pistol-grip-ish stocks, and have been wanting to try one with a straight-stock, because.

Rex G
10-26-2020, 12:35 PM

A typical lever rifle is slim, which can be more important than length, for storage and discretion purposes. If one has not experienced this, it may not seem to be a reason, but when actually possesses/owns a lever rifles, it becomes a reason. :)

Life is good. :)

HeavyDuty
10-26-2020, 03:28 PM
BLRs distract me, too. I saw one with a straight stock, in .308, at an LGS, last week. I resisted fondling it, but, it calls to me. I have two with pistol-grip-ish stocks, and have been wanting to try one with a straight-stock, because.

Straight wrist levers are pure sex.

gtmtnbiker98
10-26-2020, 04:02 PM
Are new Marlin leverguns even being made right now?

Not that I’m seeing.

OlongJohnson
10-26-2020, 04:37 PM
A typical lever rifle is slim, which can be more important than length, for storage and discretion purposes. If one has not experienced this, it may not seem to be a reason, but when actually possesses/owns a lever rifles, it becomes a reason. :)

Life is good. :)

So are pumps.

Lester Polfus
10-26-2020, 04:41 PM
Not that I’m seeing.

Me either. It also seems like the sexy new guns with the rails, sights, and threaded barrels and such only made it into the wild in limited numbers.

My understanding is that Ruger is going to have to reconstitute the company pretty much completely, so it might be a while before we see new Marlins.

JM Marlins were already commanding scalpers prices. Between the gun buying panic in general, and the Marlin issues in particular that's likely to continue.

I'm glad I bought my 2019 production 1894c when I did. It doesn't have the JM cachet, but it runs like a top and I'm happy with it.

gtmtnbiker98
10-27-2020, 03:39 PM
I happened upon a local shop that has two Marlin 1895’s in stock, both in .45-70 and the asking price is $685. I’m considering picking one up, but have reservations due to stories of questionable QC and the current state of the company should a problem arise. I could make an hour drive for a Henry H010 in .45-70 for $799.

Any input appreciated. I am favoring the side loading gate. Are the Marlin’s forged receivers?

rd62
10-27-2020, 05:21 PM
I recently bought a new Marlin 1895 and am very pleased thus far. Fit and finish is very good, the action realtively smooth, and though the round count is low it shoots nicely and has been reliable.

I'm not sure what QC issue there were but my sample of one is nice and the recent reports I've seen here indicate the same from others.

fatdog
10-27-2020, 06:52 PM
I happened upon a local shop that has two Marlin 1895’s in stock, both in .45-70 and the asking price is $685. I’m considering picking one up, but have reservations due to stories of questionable QC and the current state of the company should a problem arise. I could make an hour drive for a Henry H010 in .45-70 for $799.

Any input appreciated. I am favoring the side loading gate. Are the Marlin’s forged receivers?

I bought a brand new Marlin 1895 in .45-50 in the summer of 2018, it needed to have the loading gate lightened to make me happy but it has been flawless. I reload .45-70 and I probably have about 500 rounds down range by now, zero issues, accuracy is good by my standards for an iron sighted gun and me shooting it. I mounted an XS rear peep sight and should have bought the front sight as a kit as the factory front had to be raised/replaced to get a decent 100 yard zero.

Sample of one.

rd62
10-27-2020, 08:28 PM
Yes, my loading gate too is stiff and has a sharp edge to it. I'd like to address it at some point.

Toonces
10-28-2020, 08:44 AM

I would also favor the side loading gate. If you decide you don’t like the 45-70 Marlin, it shouldn’t be too difficult to move.

A 45-70 + Trailboss + 300-350 gr bullets = Smiles

My Trailboss loads in my Ruger No. 1 are a delight. Hot loads are impressive.

Crazy Dane
10-28-2020, 10:15 AM
Yes, my loading gate too is stiff and has a sharp edge to it. I'd like to address it at some point.

There is a lot of after market parts for the Marlins. I went with Ranger Point parts Everything was an easy install and improvement was more than excellent. Here is a link to their loading gate https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-loading-gate-spring-flyweight-fast-easy-smooth/

fatdog
10-28-2020, 11:02 AM
There is a lot of after market parts for the Marlins. [/url]

True that, first thing I did to mine was get the Bear Tooth (https://beartoothmercantile.com/lever-action/) "Safety Delete" as I will not work with cross bolt safeties on a lever gun, not part of my manual of arms for those.

rd62
10-28-2020, 11:13 AM
There is a lot of after market parts for the Marlins. I went with Ranger Point parts Everything was an easy install and improvement was more than excellent. Here is a link to their loading gate https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-loading-gate-spring-flyweight-fast-easy-smooth/

I've seen those. On my list but likely not until after hunting season.

Lon
10-28-2020, 06:53 PM
gtmtnbiker98 if you’re on Instagram, check out @1895gunner - you won’t be disappointed.

gtmtnbiker98
10-28-2020, 07:26 PM
gtmtnbiker98 if you’re on Instagram, check out @1895gunner - you won’t be disappointed.

Unfortunately, I’m off all social media for obvious reasons.

Lon
10-28-2020, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately, I’m off all social media for obvious reasons.

Try this:

https://www.instagram.com/1895gunner/?igshid=1m4v1zmgrqbkl

Totem Polar
10-29-2020, 12:16 AM
Try this:

https://www.instagram.com/1895gunner/?igshid=1m4v1zmgrqbkl

I didn’t realize that one could have “dresser” envy. I want the dresser with the rack on the side for my bedroom...

Duelist
10-29-2020, 12:23 AM
Shooting .38 special through my 1894 Marlin this afternoon. Always brings a smile.

JAH 3rd
10-30-2020, 01:03 PM
45/70 is pretty cool but can I suggest something in a handgun caliber, such as 357, 44, or 45 Colt?

1- Much lower cost to feed which means you will shoot it more.

2- Less recoil.

3- You could still hunt with it as a rifle/ carbine will provide substantially more velocity.

Lever actions can offer interchangeability of rifle/handgun calibers. A 44 magnum or 45 Long Colt for a handgun/rifle combo would be nice. One cartridge, two platforms.

OlongJohnson
10-30-2020, 02:32 PM
A closed chamber eliminates the risk of flame cutting, which enables one to do some things with a rifle or single-shot pistol such as a Contender that are risky when there's a cylinder gap.

I expect to end up with closed-chamber-only loads such as hot 110gr XTPs with H110/W296 for varmints, and will probably make up some 158gr flat-nose loads with heavy H110/W296 charges, while sticking with IMR 4227 for 158gr and 180gr HPs that can be shot in the spinny guns.

So sharing ammo is possible, but there can be some benefits to managing different ammo for revolver/rifle use.

peterb
10-30-2020, 03:51 PM
More ammunition choices—if you can find any.

https://www.federalpremium.com/hammerdown.html

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/10/29/federal-hammerdown-ammo/

One of the industry’s premier ammo manufacturers, Federal Ammunition, has partnered with Henry Repeating Arms to research and develop rounds that are purpose-built for your classically Wild West-style rifles. Federal’s new HammerDown line is now shipping in five calibers: 44 Rem Magnum, 45-70 Government, 30-30 Win, 327 Federal Magnum, and 45 Colt. A sixth flavor, 357 Magnum, is slated to come on line soon as well.

camel
10-30-2020, 04:29 PM

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/10/29/federal-hammerdown-ammo/

One of the industry’s premier ammo manufacturers, Federal Ammunition, has partnered with Henry Repeating Arms to research and develop rounds that are purpose-built for your classically Wild West-style rifles. Federal’s new HammerDown line is now shipping in five calibers: 44 Rem Magnum, 45-70 Government, 30-30 Win, 327 Federal Magnum, and 45 Colt. A sixth flavor, 357 Magnum, is slated to come on line soon as well.

Something makes me wish for a lever in 327 magnum. That would be a hoot

OlongJohnson
10-30-2020, 07:27 PM

That .327 is 127 grains. All of a sudden, I'm interested. Although at $1.55/rd, I'm not so sure.

Lex Luthier
10-30-2020, 07:46 PM
That .327 is 127 grains. All of a sudden, I'm interested. Although at $1.55/rd, I'm not so sure.

Got to coonfinger a very gently used Henry steel 20" rifle in .327 at the LGS two days ago. Raising it to my shoulder was a mistake. I too want one. It was as nicely made as a 1920s Winchester or Savage.

HeavyDuty
10-30-2020, 08:12 PM
Got to coonfinger a very gently used Henry steel 20" rifle in .327 at the LGS two days ago. Raising it to my shoulder was a mistake. I too want one. It was as nicely made as a 1920s Winchester or Savage.

I have to admit I don’t know much about .327. What’s the appeal?

Lex Luthier
10-30-2020, 08:45 PM
I have to admit I don’t know much about .327. What’s the appeal?

For me? I've never fired one, but am intrigued. Roughly .357 Magnum ballistics, with the capability of running .32 H & R magnum (vetted to work in the Henry), and potentially .32 S & W long, too.
In my mind, it's a potential age-in-place rifle/pistol combination with a good revolver, such as the SP-101.

If Ruger have any smart marketing folks, they are likely looking at one of the Marlin .357 offerings as a .327 crossover to tie in with an SP-101 or GP-100.

HeavyDuty
10-30-2020, 10:51 PM
For me? I've never fired one, but am intrigued. Roughly .357 Magnum ballistics, with the capability of running .32 H & R magnum (vetted to work in the Henry), and potentially .32 S & W long, too.
In my mind, it's a potential age-in-place rifle/pistol combination with a good revolver, such as the SP-101.

If Ruger have any smart marketing folks, they are likely looking at one of the Marlin .357 offerings as a .327 crossover to tie in with an SP-101 or GP-100.

I was just reading a little about the cartridge. Very interesting...

Edit - I see Ruger does a birdshead SA that would be a great woods gun, and also a few others. Too bad the Henry .327 carbine isn’t a side gate model.

This is very interesting: https://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixSingleSeven/specSheets/8163.html

Totem Polar
10-31-2020, 12:48 AM
I had one of those birdshead Rugers. A great little gun, very well built and fits in K-frame leather. Very loud though.

To my mind, the .327 is ideal in a lever. The Federal 100gr JSP is close to 2,200fps out of a 20” tube.

gtmtnbiker98
10-31-2020, 05:49 PM
Decided on a Henry X Series, .45-70. Now to find some suitable ammo to zero and ready for deer season.

HeavyDuty
10-31-2020, 06:00 PM
Decided on a Henry X Series, .45-70. Now to find some suitable ammo to zero and ready for deer season.

Nice! I’m hoping they expand the X Series.

OlongJohnson
10-31-2020, 06:07 PM
I had one of those birdshead Rugers. A great little gun, very well built and fits in K-frame leather. Very loud though.

To my mind, the .327 is ideal in a lever. The Federal 100gr JSP is close to 2,200fps out of a 20” tube.

I realized as I was driving around this afternoon that the .327 from a long gun is about equivalent to light .300 BLK loads from a shorter barrel.

gtmtnbiker98
10-31-2020, 06:14 PM
Nice! I’m hoping they expand the X Series.

What caliber are you wanting? I'll eventually add a .30-.30 with a more traditional wood stock. I'm gonna leave my PCC's to my CZ Scorpions.

HeavyDuty
10-31-2020, 06:25 PM
What caliber are you wanting? I'll eventually add a .30-.30 with a more traditional wood stock. I'm gonna leave my PCC's to my CZ Scorpions.

.327 has really caught my eye... but realistically the current .357/.38 offering would fill my needs.

BobM
10-31-2020, 09:31 PM

I might have a couple boxes of Remington 300 JHP and/or 405 SP left in the closet. I’ll check tomorrow night and let you know.

Shumba
11-01-2020, 10:52 AM

Really looking forward to your review on this!
Shumba

gtmtnbiker98
11-03-2020, 05:31 PM
Managed to put a few rounds of Hornady Leverevolution .325 FTX through the rifle this morning. Two firsts for me, first time shooting a lever gun and shooting .45-70. Out of the box, the sights were on at 50 yards. Had a few mishaps jamming up the lifter via the side gate but that was 100% user induced. I’m a rookie at this lever gun stuff, but so far I’m very pleased. More to follow.....

Lon
11-24-2020, 07:33 PM
gtmtnbiker98 I found this company while surfing IG. Chris Costa uses them for his lever gun work. If you’re looking for someone to work on yours down the road.

https://madpigcustoms.com/lever-action-gunsmithing

gtmtnbiker98
11-24-2020, 07:50 PM
gtmtnbiker98 I found this company while surfing IG. Chris Costa uses them for his lever gun work. If you’re looking for someone to work on yours down the road.

https://madpigcustoms.com/lever-action-gunsmithing

Thanks dude, hope you are staying safe with this Corona shit.

Lon
11-24-2020, 07:55 PM
Thanks dude, hope you are staying safe with this Corona shit.

You’re welcome.

We are. One of these days we need to have a chat about the family that got kicked out of your town and ended up in ours. Talk about a PITA.

gtmtnbiker98
11-24-2020, 07:58 PM
You’re welcome.

We are. One of these days we need to have a chat about the family that got kicked out of your town and ended up in ours. Talk about a PITA.

Wow, I was waiting for you to mention that. Lmao

CSW
11-25-2020, 07:26 AM

Oh damn.! Find an old Marlin cowboy in 38-55!!!!!!! I had one years ago, what an accurate smoooooooth shooting rifle, plenty of power and easy on the shoulder. Straight walled for Ohio!

Back on topic:
As others have stated, the 45-70 can start to get a bit irritating on extended range sessions.
Pistol caliber carbines and rifles, well, I went with the 45 Colt in a Winchester Trapper, as a sister to my Smith Mountain Gun in the same caliber. Loaded with a good hard cast bullet, velocities do not have to be screamers to take down game.....800-1200 fps will make bambi dead on his feet. Hard cast makes "UUGE" wound channels. Hard cast in a 45-70 is win/win.

Good luck with your choice sir! Good looking lever!

Rick R
11-26-2020, 01:07 PM

Nice choice!

I like the .45/70 cartridge a lot. It’s like a big handgun cartridge that deflates deer without tearing up much meat. If you don’t reload the old Government cartridge is a good place to start. Common handgun powders work for loads that can duplicate the original loading with low recoil. The powders that are used for 5.56 and .308 loads can be used for more modern (and energetic) loads. Brass is readily available and lasts for several loadings. Cast bullets are a great choice if sized properly.