PDA

View Full Version : AAR Jason Falla/RedBack One 3 day Pistol/Carbine OKC Dec 10-12, 2010

Bratch
03-17-2011, 10:14 PM
This came up in the other thread so I am posting an old AAR. I wasn't able to write the AAR for a few months due to the holidays and some family problems that came up so it isn't quite as detailed as I would like. The stars must be from a Word to Open Office conversion.

Class: RedBack One/Jason Falla 3 Day Pistol/Carbine
When: Dec 10-12, 2010
Where: OKC Gun Club
Students: 8 with an even mix of first timers and multiple class students
Gear: M&P9 Pro, BCM 14.5 CHF Midlength, Aimpoint T1, OSOE Micro Rig

TD1:

Friday was spent working with our handguns.* We started the class of in the classroom getting an overview of RedBack One and Jason’s background.* We had a safety lesson, discussed what to expect for the weekend, went over Jason’s stance, grip and shooting style and then headed to range.* Jason covered the high and low ready positions and when he saw the need for each position each position.* We ran several drills using the different ready positions and Jason kept us on our toes by varying the cadence that he called out threats.* We shot a diagnostic slow fire drill from 5-25 yards to gauge the skill level of the class and what areas needed polished up.

We shot a variety of targets throughout the weekend with the majority being of RB1 design. These were all very good targets that offered a variety of drills on a single target. One of the drills was the compass drill where students tried to get as bad of a sight picture as possible and still hit an eight in target. Students began to learn that a perfect sight picture was not needed for every shot.

TD2:

Saturday was spent with the carbine.* We started out zeroing the rifles at 25 yards; Jason advocated a 50/200 zero* Having your rifle zeroed before class will save you a lot of heart ache .* After the class was zeroed we confirmed zero at 50 and 100 yards.* We shot a timed drill at 100 yards and then worked back to 25 on the timer.* We shot from prone, kneeling and standing depending on the distances.* Next we started working at closer ranges.* We reviewed the ready positions for the rifle and ran drills similar to the handgun drills from the different ready positions. Mechanical offset was discussed and everybody shot to discover what offset their rifle had.* A variety of drills were run against the clock to end the day.

TD3:

Sunday started with running handgun drills cold on the timer. Running drills cold was an important evaluation since this will probably be your state on “the day”. We shot a variety of drills that incorporated presentations, reloads, recoil management, and accuracy.* After getting warmed up on the pistols we loaded up the carbines and worked on transitions.* From transitions we worked on cover drills.* Students were paired up with one student having a gun in a non ready state.* When their gun went down they would call for cover from their partner while transitioning and getting back in the fight.* We then worked on turns.* Jason taught pivots that reduced movement and got you on target quicker.* We ran turns strong side, support side, and from up range.* After lunch we worked with the handguns at contact distance.* To wrap up the class we ran head to head drills on the timer incorporating everything we had learned over the weekend.

Thoughts:

Jason’s real world experience brings credibility to what he is teaching.* He taught the fundamentals that I have been using but explained some of them in ways that I had never heard before that made a lot of sense.* He taught weapons handling methods that were useable for both platforms and tried to minimize different techniques. He did a great job of layering drills, he presented the entire drill at the beginning but only added one piece at a time until everybody was comfortable.* This reduced down time and kept the class moving forward.* We ran several drills that I will be incorporating into my training. targets through out the class that had high, low, and, medium probability targets on them and had us transitioning between the targets to work on our cadence. This kept everyone from getting into the routine of shooting the -0 zone on an IDPA target every time.

The students all braved the weather to train and everyone deserves some praise for coming out.* Sunday had a low of 20* F with winds close to 30 MPH out of the North putting wind chills at or below 0*F.* We had wind all weekend and only a few hours of decent weather. The weather and clothing interfered with normal gear placement and everyone had to adjust their gear or find work arounds for the problems. Due to the weather I ran a chest rig for only the second time.* This ended up being a good thing because I learned a better way to reload out of the pouches and also was able to take a hard look at my gear and if it was right for me.

Jason did a great job with the range of students and everyone took something away from the first time students to those on their 20th class.*