PDA

View Full Version : SRO on a G27 - Dumb Idea?

Tensaw
10-17-2020, 06:29 AM
With the Gen 5 G27’s rolling out, I am seriously thinking of grabbing one, mounting an optic, and using that as my daily carry pistol. Based on extensive reading (mostly here), I keep coming back to the SRO. Questions. Is mounting one of the larger available optics on a small pistol like the G27 a dumb idea? Do we think a Holosun offering would be a better fit? 507 maybe? Direct mount or MOS?

This pistol would be a true EDC to be worn around my new, very rural place. It will be subject to all of the “abuse” that daily carry implies in a rural setting. (I do try to take care of my gear though.) The idea behind going G27 rather than G26 has two drivers. 1. There is a small population of black bears near my place so there is some small chance of the pistol coming into play there. (I get that a 9mm would probably do just as well, but...) 2. I expect that the .40 will provide plenty of gas for the KKM comp I plan to throw on the front of this thing and hopefully no fiddling with recoil spring weights to get to run with all ammo. So, moar powa’ with not a lot of recoil. (Again, pistols and “power” - I know, but I am trying to optimize over here).

I can run anything that I want for my retirement daily carry. Anything from a G34/35 to a G43X. The G27 with KKM comp seems like a sweet spot and I am hard-headed enough that I am probably doing it. But what about the optic? The rig will need to be adequately concealed when I go to town.

Oh, and to go off-topic in my own thread, I really like my 43X and use it for kicking around town. But, I have a lot more support gear and flexibility with Glocks that take their standard, double stack, mags. When push comes to shove, I reach for a standard frame Glock. I got put to the test several months ago when I thought I was going to have to haul ass up the road 10 hours away on about 10 minutes notice. When I cracked open the safe to grab a handgun for that trip, I reached, without hesitation, for the 19X - largely due to having a good stash of mags for it stored in my vehicle. So as much as I like the little gun for convenience, I find myself going for a standard Glock as the potential for bad things going on increases to any degree.

HeavyDuty
10-17-2020, 06:43 AM
I’m looking at putting together an optic equipped 26, and briefly considered a SRO - I ended up moving on to smaller optics, though. (What I really want isn’t made, a smallish high quality closed emitter RDS like a mini ACRO.) I’m curious to see what way you end up going here because it will help me decide.

HCountyGuy
10-17-2020, 07:23 AM
Eh if nothing else give it a shot for grins and giggles. I think such a big optic would kinda defeat the purpose of running such a small gun and could enhance printing (possibly). Myself I’d probably stick with a Holosun 507C or 507K.

HeavyDuty
10-17-2020, 08:05 AM
I just can’t get excited over Holosun...

Blades
10-17-2020, 08:15 AM
Jagerwerks did a G26.5 with an SRO.

https://i.imgur.com/lalc7qv.jpg

Now the question is, since the G26 MOS is on the horizon, is the G27 MOS coming close behind it? :)

DaBigBR
10-17-2020, 11:34 AM
I carried a 26 with a red dot for a while. Really liked it. Moved on to the 365 in that role but I would have no problem recommending it.

I would do something other than an SRO and would particularly consider the 507K/407K since they're small enough to likely co-witness with standard sights.

HCM
10-17-2020, 01:14 PM
With the Gen 5 G27’s rolling out, I am seriously thinking of grabbing one, mounting an optic, and using that as my daily carry pistol. Based on extensive reading (mostly here), I keep coming back to the SRO. Questions. Is mounting one of the larger available optics on a small pistol like the G27 a dumb idea? Do we think a Holosun offering would be a better fit? 507 maybe? Direct mount or MOS?

This pistol would be a true EDC to be worn around my new, very rural place. It will be subject to all of the “abuse” that daily carry implies in a rural setting. (I do try to take care of my gear though.) The idea behind going G27 rather than G26 has two drivers. 1. There is a small population of black bears near my place so there is some small chance of the pistol coming into play there. (I get that a 9mm would probably do just as well, but...) 2. I expect that the .40 will provide plenty of gas for the KKM comp I plan to throw on the front of this thing and hopefully no fiddling with recoil spring weights to get to run with all ammo. So, moar powa’ with not a lot of recoil. (Again, pistols and “power” - I know, but I am trying to optimize over here).

I can run anything that I want for my retirement daily carry. Anything from a G34/35 to a G43X. The G27 with KKM comp seems like a sweet spot and I am hard-headed enough that I am probably doing it. But what about the optic? The rig will need to be adequately concealed when I go to town.

Oh, and to go off-topic in my own thread, I really like my 43X and use it for kicking around town. But, I have a lot more support gear and flexibility with Glocks that take their standard, double stack, mags. When push comes to shove, I reach for a standard frame Glock. I got put to the test several months ago when I thought I was going to have to haul ass up the road 10 hours away on about 10 minutes notice. When I cracked open the safe to grab a handgun for that trip, I reached, without hesitation, for the 19X - largely due to having a good stash of mags for it stored in my vehicle. So as much as I like the little gun for convenience, I find myself going for a standard Glock as the potential for bad things going on increases to any degree.

Glock will be releasing MOS versions of the G22 and G23.

I think putting an optic the size of the SRO on a G27 would be inefficient.

Keep in mind .that the new GEN five guns have a wider slide similar to the 45 get models and may not fit your existing Glock holsters

If you are set on the SRO I would get an MOS G23. If you were set on the G 27 I would look at a smaller optic like in RMR or an ACRO.

Mark D
10-17-2020, 06:15 PM
I don't care for .40 S&W in a G23, so a G27 is completely unattractive to me. But hey, to each their own.

GJM
10-17-2020, 06:20 PM
While the SRO display is so much larger than a RMR, it carries nearly as small as a RMR because the mass of the SRO is at the belt line.

HCM
10-17-2020, 07:02 PM
I don't care for .40 S&W in a G23, so a G27 is completely unattractive to me. But hey, to each their own.

Have you shot the Gen 5 ? The slide is heavier that prior Glock 40s . Similar to the difference between an HKVP9 and HKVP 40. It’s only a couple ounces but it makes a noticeable difference. Plus the OPM is talking about adding a comp. Comps in 9 mm work best with plus PMO so a comp and 40 should theoretically be more effective than a comp on a nine.

DrkBlue
10-18-2020, 08:07 PM
I have four years +/- with a G26 and a Shield RMS.
They seem to work well together.

I have not shot the SRO, so cannot Comment on the effectiveness. The concept is sound.

MickAK
10-21-2020, 07:56 PM
I almost replied when this first popped up but figured I'd wait and see if anyone who had shot a G27 with a comp would reply first.

It's a dumb idea but a workable idea. I don't think the SRO is the weak point. I think the comp is.

As has been mentioned the SRO, while big, isn't going to affect your intended usage that much. I have a fair amount of time behind a G27. I don't with a G27 with a comp. I think the weak point is going to be the comp, and I don't think the advantages of the G27 over a G26 is going to offset the weakness a comp will bring for that usage. I think you should stick with a G26 if you're grabbing a 19X in a pinch. I don't think a situation is going to come up where a G26 loaded with proper ammo is going to leave you wishing for a G27.

I think the comp is going to give you more problems overall.

TOTS
10-23-2020, 03:35 PM
I almost replied when this first popped up but figured I'd wait and see if anyone who had shot a G27 with a comp would reply first.

It's a dumb idea but a workable idea. I don't think the SRO is the weak point. I think the comp is.

As has been mentioned the SRO, while big, isn't going to affect your intended usage that much. I have a fair amount of time behind a G27. I don't with a G27 with a comp. I think the weak point is going to be the comp, and I don't think the advantages of the G27 over a G26 is going to offset the weakness a comp will bring for that usage. I think you should stick with a G26 if you're grabbing a 19X in a pinch. I don't think a situation is going to come up where a G26 loaded with proper ammo is going to leave you wishing for a G27.

I think the comp is going to give you more problems overall.

Why? Please elaborate.

Archer1440
10-23-2020, 07:24 PM
Two words. “Close quarters”. I like my comped VP9 but would never carry it with the comp. I’m not interested in setting myself on fire should I ever have to take a close quarters retention shot.

Bucky
10-24-2020, 05:49 AM

I too am not so fond of the G23, yet I have no issue with my 27.

David S.
10-24-2020, 07:28 AM
I had the pleasure of watching this dude shoot at a recent local. He's pretty impressive.

https://youtu.be/LHe81qKET2k

Tensaw
10-24-2020, 12:52 PM
Pretty cool nuggets in that video. Something that has occurred to me since my original post here is that the shorter grip length of the G26/G27 pistols mitigates, to some degree, the extra height that comes with the SRO as it pertains to the ability to conceal the whole rig. That along with GJM’s observation that the SRO is generally going to ride right at the belt line thus making it easier to conceal - heck, this small pistol large - large optic thing might be just the ticket. The other thing that occurred to me is that, all things being equal, the G26/27 pistols will have more muzzle flip than a larger pistol (all things being equal), so that larger optic window of the SRO is going to come in pretty handy in terms of tracking the dot. Haven’t seen anything yet to convince me that the idea is so dumb I shouldn’t try it. Now, if Glock will friggin’ release the Gen 5 27’s....

HCM
10-24-2020, 12:59 PM
Pretty cool nuggets in that video. Something that has occurred to me since my original post here is that the shorter grip length of the G26/G27 pistols mitigates, to some degree, the extra height that comes with the SRO as it pertains to the ability to conceal the whole rig. That along with GJM’s observation that the SRO is generally going to ride right at the belt line thus making it easier to conceal - heck, this small pistol large - large optic thing might be just the ticket. The other thing that occurred to me is that, all things being equal, the G26/27 pistols will have more muzzle flip than a larger pistol (all things being equal), so that larger optic window of the SRO is going to come in pretty handy in terms of tracking the dot. Haven’t seen anything yet to convince me that the idea is so dumb I shouldn’t try it. Now, if Glock will friggin’ release the Gen 5 27’s....

Uhhh.....They have released them. And the 22.5s and 23.5s.

Tensaw
10-24-2020, 02:30 PM
Huh. I’ve made a half-hearted effort to find them for sale. No bueno at my usual suspects (Blue Label). Will double down in the search.

Tyrok
10-27-2020, 10:35 AM
I basically did exactly what you're thinking a couple years ago with a G26 (the SRO didn't exist yet so I used an Aimpoint H1 in a Raven Concealment Balor mount).

It was a fun gun, shot well and carried good, the hardest thing to conceal was the huge honkin' battery cover on the side of the H1. Also I had to reduce my recoil spring by two pounds to make it cycle every type of ammo reliably (from absolute junk Winchester steel to Ranger T hollow points).

Over time I ended up moving the optic to my G17 and took the comp off the 26, transitioning the 17 to my main carry gun and keeping the 26 small to use as a deep concealment gun when the need arises.

From my experience I would recommend that you instead put the SRO on your 19X and don't worry about the 27. If you really want a new gun, and I can't blame you for that whatsoever :cool:, I would suggest using a shorter comp than the KKM or maybe a slightly extended and ported barrel. That way you'll retain the small size of the 27, get some recoil reduction, and keep it versatile in case you want to conceal it deep, use it OWB or as a backup, or maybe even a pocket gun :p.

If you do go through with your plan though post pics! ;)