PDA

View Full Version : Ed Brown 1911 Failure to Feed

BLR
06-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Monday PMs are the typical range day for our group of shooters. And last night was the first FTF from my 5" EB Executive Elite. It's digested several thousand rounds, a mix of ball, 200g LSWCs (mostly) and Hornday XTPs w/ out so much as a hiccup. The FTF, which I did not get a picture of (didnt have the presence of mind to interrupt the drill) was with a 230g Missouri Cast round nose. I had 1k of these, and loaded them up to get rid of them, as I prefer Precision Bullets moly coated 200g LSWCs for practice.

Anyway, at round 5 from a 7 round EB mag, the slide locked open at the disassembly notch with a round half chambered. Dropping the mag and racking the slide cured the problem. However, a nice silvery mark was made on the slide stop, indicating the nose of one of the bullets pushed the stop up and into the notch.

Post shooting inspection of the bullet indicates a very squatty profile when compared with ball, giving some credence to the above theory. I ran through the rest of the ammo w/o problems.

JonInWA
06-19-2012, 08:05 AM
How old are magazine tube and spring(s), recoil spring, and is there any discernable/measurable spread with your magazine lips are some other avenues you may wish to explore.

Best, Jon

BLR
06-19-2012, 08:32 AM
How old are magazine tube and spring(s), recoil spring, and is there any discernable/measurable spread with your magazine lips are some other avenues you may wish to explore.

Best, Jon

New mags, very stiff springs. No lip spread (the new premium mags rarely exhibit that - that was more of a GI mag/early 8 round aftermarket mag problem when too thin of tube steel was used).

I know the issue was the bullet. I made up some dummy rounds using that bullet and made it artificially happen again this AM.

LittleLebowski
06-19-2012, 08:40 AM
All semi auto pistols have this happen sooner or later.