PDA

View Full Version : K-Frames, .38 +P, and ligher bullets

That Guy
10-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Everybody knows that the older Smith & Wesson K-Frames like M-19 were not designed for .357 Magnum loads that push a light weight bullet to as high velocities as possible. Forcing cones have been cracked shooting even a modest amount of these rounds, and one should stick with the heavier bullet midrange Magnum loads (like most commercial 158gr Magnums). But what about dropping the power level down to a .38 Special +P? Would a +P pushing, let's say a 125gr projectile be as bad for the gun as a .357 Magnum round with the same bullet? Less bad but still not recommended? Or no worries, shoot as much as you want to?

revchuck38
10-11-2020, 01:14 PM
The issue with K frame Magnums was the high velocity and pressure of the 125-grain Magnum loads. .38 +P 125-grain loads are fine in both Magnum and non-Magnum K frames. My perception is that the 158-grain .38 +P loads, notably the LSWC-HP versions, were more effective than the 125s.

kitchen's mill
10-11-2020, 01:47 PM
The issue with K frame Magnums was the high velocity and pressure of the 125-grain Magnum loads. .38 +P 125-grain loads are fine in both Magnum and non-Magnum K frames. My perception is that the 158-grain .38 +P loads, notably the LSWC-HP versions, were more effective than the 125s.

I wouldn't say 158gr LSWCHP was more effective but sure easier to shoot.

By non-magnum K-frame I wouldn't include pre war or early post war guns with +p ammo. Maybe won't destroy one, but hard to find parts for old guns.

You can start a flame war saying it, but steady use of full magnums in a K-frame will wear a gun and not just a forcing cone. They seem to hold up to regular use of +p better.

Frame studs break or loosen, guns run out of time, and end shake develops within a few thousand magnum rounds.

Barrels for those old K-frame magnums are hard to find, so I tend to train with good .38 ammo in mine, carry magnums or +p.

N-frames make better magnums, easier on me and the gun.