PDA

View Full Version : Middle of the Road Pistol Light that works

Ford_blt
10-08-2020, 03:02 PM
I've been looking at the Olight lights as they seem to be a good value. . the Valkyrie Pro and PL2 as welll as the mini. What do you all think? Is the rechargeable battery worth it? I was planning on using it on a CZ P09 but might use it on my AR. Would the pressure switch work well for that? or should I look at something like the Streamlight TRL-7 or 9? Is there a durability difference? I've got a lot of questions as I'm new to the flashlight thing. Any advise would be immensely appreciated.

TOTS
10-09-2020, 07:11 PM
Streamlight’s TLR-1 HL seems to be the best intersection of quality/reliability, functionality, and price. Knowledgeable users seem to recommend these when pricing precludes purchasing the Surefires. From the limited experience I have (admittedly none with Olight) other less expensive brands don’t last that long when shooting a lot or lack the output.

mmc45414
10-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Streamlight’s TLR-1 HL seems to be the best intersection of quality/reliability, functionality, and price.
Also since they are popular holster compatibility is more probable.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Duke
10-09-2020, 07:43 PM
Buy an X300 U and use your saved energy and worry to focus on other things.

Target ID isn’t a place that middle of the road belongs.

For me rechargeables are trash. Becuase like your phone it will either always be at 41% or plugged in and that is shit for a weaponlight.

jeep45238
10-09-2020, 08:25 PM
Grabbed one on a whim at a cheap price, selling it.

Have 3 TLR-1HL's that perform great. Have a couple Cloud Defense lights that are amazing on carbines.

If the Modlight pistol light is going to get molded by some makers, I'll be selling off the TLR-1HL's as well.

Bigghoss
10-09-2020, 09:47 PM
I have a few TLR-1's and I have been happy with them. Those and X300's are the only lights I have personal experience with.

HCM
10-09-2020, 09:49 PM
Grabbed one on a whim at a cheap price, selling it.

Have 3 TLR-1HL's that perform great. Have a couple Cloud Defense lights that are amazing on carbines.

If the Modlight pistol light is going to get molded by some makers, I'll be selling off the TLR-1HL's as well.

You get what you pay for.

I've used TLR-1s for years and haven't killed one yet. My Agency now issues them.

Surefires may be a bit more durable but If momentary switching is a requirement the switching on the TLR-1 is better than the SF.

Duelist
10-10-2020, 12:21 AM
TLR-1 on the nightstand gun, TLR1-HL on the carbine. Surefire carry lights. Why mess with something else?

jnc36rcpd
10-10-2020, 12:28 AM
I'd agree on Streamlight. Depending on your holster and carry preferences, you would be good with the TLR-1 HL. If that is too bulky for you, the TLR-7 would be an option.

You would not go wrong with Surefire, of course, but at greater cost.

Suvorov
10-10-2020, 01:53 AM
Happy user of TLR-1s here.

mmc45414
10-10-2020, 04:25 AM
https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/tlr-rm2

I did also recently buy one of these but have not really used it yet so don't have an opinion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gato naranja
10-10-2020, 06:31 AM
Streamlight’s TLR-1 HL seems to be the best intersection of quality/reliability, functionality, and price. Knowledgeable users seem to recommend these when pricing precludes purchasing the Surefires. From the limited experience I have (admittedly none with Olight) other less expensive brands don’t last that long when shooting a lot or lack the output.

The above echoes my current thinking. The TLR-1 HL is a good light, and for the money it can't be beat.* I still have an early-production TLR-1 in regular use, and other than modest output by today's standards it remains faultless. I am still susceptible to the "newest and brightest" lights, but I have found that beyond a certain point, more lumens do not necessarily add anything to a light's usefulness to me.

Most of the pistol-mounted lights I have owned have been Streamlights, and the only one that I have not had full confidence in is a TLR-3 (mine has not had any problems even after spending time on a shotgun, but I do not care for the polymer body).

This being said, I am not one who beats the hell out of weaponlights, and maybe more arduous duty would result in a different attitude. Or not.

*I feel the same way about Streamlight's ProTac 1L-1AA flashlight.

KeeFus
10-10-2020, 06:33 AM
I’ve got two X300’s and TLR’s (TLR 1, TLR1 HL, and a TLR 7A). For the money I’d go with a TLR. I also maintain our armory and the guns and accessories for 50 cops. We have had TLR1’s on our G17s for 3 years...only one failure (switch latch broke).

Stay away from Inforce lights...theyre shit...we have them on some rifles and, IMHO, they aren’t worth the squeeze. We’ve had a few failures wherein the bezel separates from the body. They’re mostly plastic.

Lon
10-10-2020, 09:11 AM
I’ve got SureFire, Streamlight, Nightstick and Olight WMLs. If you don’t want rechargeable then I’d suggest Streamlight or Nightstick. Nightstick can be found for less than $100 if you shop around. I’ve got 4 different Nightstick lights. One on my work rifle and 3 different pistol lights. The TLR sized one can be found here for $80.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BAYCO-Nightstick-TWM-850XL-Xtreme-Tactical-Weapon-Mounted-Light-850-Lumens/392967858335?hash=item5b7eb5a89f:g:cIkAAOSwP99feaf V

So far it fits fine in all my duty holsters compatible with a TLR. I don’t really run lights on my off duty holsters so I don’t have any kydex stuff to check them in.

CCT125US
10-10-2020, 09:32 AM
I've had Surefire and Streamlight fail me. I too was anti rechargeable, until I looked at my $400 pile of CR123A batteries headed for recycling. My issues with batteries is once they are used, I don't know how much juice remains. I know, I know, put fresh ones in, or get a battery tester. Any suggestions, as I haven't found one that works well.

Nephrology
10-10-2020, 09:56 AM
Also a fan of the TLR-1 HL series.

Vista461
10-10-2020, 12:48 PM
I’ve been using a TLR1 for the 7 years I’ve been in LE. Never had a problem with my old S model or my current HL model.

coN
10-10-2020, 12:59 PM
I own multiple Surefire 300s, various Streamlight TLR-1 variants, and various Olight PL-2 Valkyrie variants. All have been proven reliable in my experience.

The only brand I had a bad experience with (and didn't survive me torturing it) was an Inforce APL. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Streamlight is a good middle of the road, a bit more than Olight. But if Olight has a flash sale, i wouldnt say no if they had something i wanted.

David S.
10-10-2020, 08:42 PM
I don’t know how it functionally stacks up against the X300, but I prefer the size of the TLR for concealed carry.

ETA.

TLR-HL, X300U-B, Inforce something.

L-2
10-10-2020, 09:49 PM
For Post_15, I've got a couple of ZTS-brand chargers which seem to work well with CR123 batteries.
The bigger, more expensive MBT-1, I'll recommend if only one is being bought as it handles several other battery types, too (particularly button cells often used in electronic rifle scopes). There was one battery which didn't test correctly, however, which was some tiny watch battery (I can't remember which size it was).

Regarding weapon-lights, my main experience is with the Surefire X300 and X300U (aka "Ultra"); and the Streamlight TLR-1 and TLR-1HL). I suspect, even though the model names might still be the same, the current X300U and TLR-1HL lights are likely even brighter than the ones I've got as the technology progresses/improves.

Yes, both my Surefire and Streamlight branded lights have broken their switches/battery doors. Although Surefire lights initially cost more, they'll typically send a replacement part back at no charge. Streamlight costs less, but you'd have to buy a new battery door. At least with Streamlight, you can better control the purchase and shipping speed whereas it'll be up to Surefire to get around to shipping the part and it's shipping carrier & speed. In my case, I had to email again as my initial phone call for a warranty request was initially lost or forgotten by the call taker.

If using a weaponlight for work, it'd be a good idea to have a backup light available. My former department made it somewhat easy to decide as it specified either Surefire or Streamlight brands only. The Safariland duty holster I chose worked with either an X300 or TLR-1 (older or newer models for either brand). Unrelated to this thread, but the strobe feature was not approved and both brands allowed the strobe function to easily be deprogrammed out.

That Guy
10-11-2020, 06:20 AM
Since everyone else here seems to be in the TLR-1 fan club, I feel it necessary to point out that not everyone likes the switches on those things. I for one greatly prefer the switches on the TLR-7A.

757_Magnum
10-11-2020, 08:26 AM

If you're referring to holster makers setting up molds for the Modlite, there's no need. It's being made in the X300 form factor, will allow switching between the newer heads, and includes a set of ARC switches to tailor the lengths, but will be constant on only.

jeep45238
10-11-2020, 08:35 AM
If you're referring to holster makers setting up molds for the Modlite, there's no need. It's being made in the X300 form factor, will allow switching between the newer heads, and includes a set of ARC switches to tailor the lengths, but will be constant on only.

Kinda sorta hate you right now :)

Duke
10-11-2020, 09:39 AM
Im likely the odd man out here - but I loathed those ARC switches.

Clumsily long and cluttery for my grip.

Even more perplexing is they were designed by Steve yeti fisher - who has the fucking biggest hands in the industry. :confused::confused::o:confused:

zpelletier
10-17-2020, 03:48 PM
I’ve seen X300u brand new for $199 recently. I don’t know if that matters to OP, that’s still too much for my budget just thought I’d throw it out there

Stumpnav
10-17-2020, 09:08 PM
I got my first Olight recently. I love the PX4 Compact but hadn't been able to find a WML that would fit. I happened to stumble across the Olight and it fits like a glove.
Haven't had it long enough to really tell how good it is, but so far so good.

Btp2332
10-18-2020, 12:01 AM
I just received a LAPG “LA Police Gear” light. It’s universal to assorted frame rails which is nice, 800 lumens, seems well built and looks and feels like a Tlr1. I have a few Tlr1 and 2s, I have had to send the 2s back a few times for the light failings. For the tune of $59.00 I figured I would try it. Haven’t shot with it yet but quality and brightness is good.

jnc36rcpd
10-18-2020, 12:39 AM
Please keep us posted on the LAPG light, Btp2332.

For the OP, given your requirements, I'd agree that Streamlight TLR-1 or TLR-7 would be good choices.

claymore504
10-18-2020, 12:18 PM
I have used the Streamlight TLR-1 and HL for a long time. never had an issue and really like them. Also, Streamlight has excellent customer service. However, for a compact light I have been running the Olight PL-Mini on my CZ P07 and love it. No issues and recharging is great. I have also been running an Olight Valkrie pro on a CZ P09 and it fits perfect. Recharging is great as well.

https://i.imgur.com/Csr5oWx.jpg?1

EVP
10-18-2020, 02:12 PM
I’ll be another to say just get a x300u and be done with it. I have had the smaller pistol lights and always came back to the x300u.

claymore504
10-21-2020, 08:07 AM
I’ve got two X300’s and TLR’s (TLR 1, TLR1 HL, and a TLR 7A). For the money I’d go with a TLR. I also maintain our armory and the guns and accessories for 50 cops. We have had TLR1’s on our G17s for 3 years...only one failure (switch latch broke).

Stay away from Inforce lights...theyre shit...we have them on some rifles and, IMHO, they aren’t worth the squeeze. We’ve had a few failures wherein the bezel separates from the body. They’re mostly plastic.

I had the same thing happen to my TLR-1 that I have had for several years. Called Streamlight and they sent me a new part no questions asked and quickly free of charge. This is a major plus for Streamlight for me.

Another example of excellent Streamlight customer service was when I got into the P320. I found that non of the TLR-1 keys I had made the light fit right on the P320. Called Streamlight and they said not a problem. Sent two brand new parts kits for my TLR-1 and TLR-1HL that included P320 keys free of charge.

LockedBreech
10-21-2020, 02:02 PM
I have used a combination of TLR-1, TLR-1HL, and TLR-7 for the past 10-12 years or so, as have many people I know. I have never had issue one with them, nor known anyone to.

It's still just a flashlight, I'm sure it's breakable any number of ways, but mine have run like champs.

Last time I needed a pistol light I had the money for Surefire but just could not justify it based on the track record I've had with Streamlight. All the LE agencies I've worked when prosecuting with have been primarily Streamlight agencies as well, and I can't recall hearing any outstanding issue.

RevolverRob
10-21-2020, 02:32 PM
In my opinion there are only three pistol lights worth considering/owning -

Streamlight TLR-1 variants
Surefire X300 variants
Surefire XC1/2

___

Everything else is probably not worth the effort. I use the TLR-1S on virtually all of my pistols that have lights. I do need to pick up an XC1 for the Rattler (which is getting a Comp M5B, so AAA batteries all the way).

__

When it comes to carbine/rifle lights there are lots of options, but for pistol lights tried and true - Surefire or Streamlight.

nightstalker865
10-21-2020, 09:08 PM
In my opinion there are only three pistol lights worth considering/owning -

Streamlight TLR-1 variants
Surefire X300 variants
Surefire XC1/2

___

Everything else is probably not worth the effort. I use the TLR-1S on virtually all of my pistols that have lights. I do need to pick up an XC1 for the Rattler (which is getting a Comp M5B, so AAA batteries all the way).

__

When it comes to carbine/rifle lights there are lots of options, but for pistol lights tried and true - Surefire or Streamlight.

You really should checkout the Streamlight TLR-7A. It is heads and shoulders above the SureFire XC1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leroy Suggs
10-22-2020, 08:44 AM
You really should checkout the Streamlight TLR-7A. It is heads and shoulders above the SureFire XC1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I strongly agree.