PDA

View Full Version : What A5 buffers?

rd62
10-07-2020, 03:23 PM
I'm moving into the 21st century and want to convert my 10.5 sbr and 16in BCM middy to A5 systems. What buffer weights are recommended?

Thanks!

Default.mp3
10-07-2020, 03:56 PM
I'm moving into the 21st century and want to convert my 10.5 sbr and 16in BCM middy to A5 systems. What buffer weights are recommended?Depends entirely on the spring and gassing. The standard that Vltor uses is the A5H2, but BCM's standard package comes with an A5H0. Whether or not you'll be able to find any is anther question (same for the REs themselves, though you could always grab some UBR 2.0s). The A5 system from Vltor runs from A5H0 to A5H4, so I guess grab an A5H2 and see if it works first? How heavy you want to go is certainly also going to be a philosophical issue of how smooth the gun runs vs. how reliable you want it to be.

NH Shooter
10-07-2020, 04:43 PM
Both of my BCM 16-inch mid-length barrels run just fine with the A5H0 as supplied by BCM, and they both run just fine with an A5H2 I purchased to try out, including with a variety of .223 ammo. I was really hard pressed to feel any difference between them so for at least the 16-inch middy, just run the A5H0 buffer BCM supplies with their A5 kit.

rd62
10-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Found a couple RE in stock and ordered those. Also ordered a single A5H2. Maybe I'll pick up an A5H0 for the middy and try the H2 in the SBR. I was just going to pickup a couple of standard rifle springs. Sprinco maybe?

MistWolf
10-07-2020, 09:25 PM
Depends entirely on the spring and gassing...

Changing the buffer weight and/or spring rate won't fix over/under gassing.

The A5H2 buffer weighs about the same as a rifle buffer and will work with any properly gassed 5.56 upper using 5.56 spec ammo

MistWolf
10-07-2020, 09:27 PM
Found a couple RE in stock and ordered those. Also ordered a single A5H2. Maybe I'll pick up an A5H0 for the middy and try the H2 in the SBR. I was just going to pickup a couple of standard rifle springs. Sprinco maybe?

I'm very satisfied using the Sprinco green spring.

Default.mp3
10-07-2020, 11:42 PM
Changing the buffer weight and/or spring rate won't fix over/under gassing.It doesn't fix the gassing, per se, but it gives you the characteristics that that you might be chasing, particularly if you already have the barrel in hand and an AGB/port adjustment isn't on the table. The whole thing is a system, after all, and what is called "proper gassing" is going to depend on a host of factors, including the buffer weight and spring rate. Just because the gassing is probably the most important factor doesn't mean it's the only factor in keeping a gun running. What you might consider to be a proper gassing could be seen as being overgassed by a gamer, and undergassed by someone who's sole concern is short-term reliability.