PDA

View Full Version : The Carolina Cup Was a Blast!!!

cclaxton
06-17-2012, 05:14 PM
This was my first Carolina Cup and really my first match with this many stages and at the International Level.
First, even though I didn't get 1st or 2nd place, I thoroughly enjoyed doing the match, seeing other shooters there from local clubs, being challenged by neve-before-seen COF designs, visit with the sponsors, and watch master-caliber shooters and try to pick up come tips.

I shot in squad 1, and mostly N. Carolinians. I was on the waiting list, and Thursday opened up first, so I was glad to shoot with any squad. We had 13 in the squad, one no-show, and three DQ's....yes, three DQ's. There were 8 DQ's on the first day...a record. One guy got a DQ for no firing pin block in his 1911 80 series, one guy got a DQ for doing a reload and letting his muzzle swing past the yellow muzzle flag on the graveyard stage, and another got DQ for unknown reasons...still haven't found out. I knew two other people got DQ's for muzzle violations after their COF was completed and another NoVa friend got DQ because his 230gr reloads didn't make power factor. They were doing invidivual gun inspections, weighing the guns, collecting and testing ammunition, and checking them in the box. There were a number of ways to get DQ'd related to muzzle, lots of challenging cover calls, etc.

I did okay considering this was my first national meet, with the exception of the Blackwater Shoothouse last October, but that's really not the same.

I got one FTN, one HNT and one procedural and overall about 45 points down, including the 10 for the FTN. I have identified my weaknesses as:
1) Know the game...the FTN I received because I didn't think the 2"x4" non-threat head exposed behind the non-threat was a valid target that had to be engaged. I thought it was like a disappearing target, and could not be engaged. The non-threat covered it up too fast for me, and I moved on to the next target. So, make sure I know the rule and know the game.
2) Clean your magazines. I had a malfunction related to my magazine on one stage and it was related to a magazine.
3) Practice malfuntion solutions and get faster at them.
4) Practice picking up my gun from a seat or a box to improve speed. One stage I fumbled the gun by only .5sec and the second moving target hid before I could engage it.
5) On the stage where I had the malfunction, I forgot to do weak-hand on the last three targets.....again...know the game and don't get rattled when something goes wrong....keep up the fight, so to say.

So, these are the things I will be working on for the Va State Championship. If I practice and learn the COF for the match, maybe I can get that Sharpshooter bump I am looking for from Marksman in ESP.

When I have time I will give more info on the COF challenges offered by the Carolina Cup.

FYI...I saw a member of the sponsored REmington team fail to fire the first shot on one stage and then get confused and gave up the fight. He forgot to chamber a round before beginning.....I felt good to know that even the best shooters make significant mistakes.

CC

KeeFus
06-17-2012, 07:04 PM
This was my fourth year shooting the Cup. I also shot Thursday. This may have been my worst performance EVER in a match! On my first stage, the ATM stage, I recieved my first of 3 procedurals (2 for cover and 1 for engagng targets outta order on the stop light stage.) I also received a FTN and finished up the day with 2 HNT's. I deserved every procedural I received. Otherwise I had a great time, as usual. My weapon, the M&P 45, performed flawlessly shooting Atlanta Arms & Ammo reman. Since November, I've put 1818 rounds down the pipe and the only issues I have had were the magazine springs...which were replaced months ago.

The DQ's this year were outta sight. Im quite sure that 1 or 2 were DQ'd for bunny fart rounds. One guy on my squad was shooting a CZ clone EAA witness. When the time for inspection of weapons came for us he failed because his gunsmith had removed the safety plunger on the slide. One of my friends kids was DQ'd for sweeping his hand on the taco truck. As you mentioned, muzzle safe zone violations got a few more ppl DQ'd. I can say that this was the first year that I have had to produce ammo for chrono and have my weapon inspected. I do not really feel sorry for the folks that got disqualified for bunny fart rounds or the few that were sent packing because of their weapon. They know they are taking a chance showing up at a sanctioned event trying to circumvent the rules like that.

My next match is the NC State Games and then the East Coast Championship. Then it's the IDPA Nationals in Oxford! I bought Steve Anderson's dry fire book in hopes of regaining some footing in the shooting sports.

PPGMD
06-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Did they seriously field strip guns to check the firing pin blocks? Is that normal for state level IDPA matches?

cclaxton
06-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Stage 1 - The Store: The convenience store business gets exciting sometimes. Start standing facing counter, loaded gun on shelf facing range left. You must shoot a pepper-popper downrange, which starts a disappearing target in front of counter, then return to two more targets downrange and then three more from behind cover.

Stage 2 - The Stoplight: You are at an intersection waiting for the light to change when an attempted hijacking occurs. Start seated in vehicle, hands on wheel with loaded gun on seat beside you. When stoplight comes on you retrieve the gun and shoot at disappearing target moving towards you on passenger side on a 30 foot rail, and moving fast. Then, hit disappearing target about 40 feet away behind barricade and you only have 3 sec to get there. Then, must take one more static to the right behind hostage, and three downrange from drivers side of vehicle. (I thought this was one of the top three most challenging stages. I was slow getting my gun in my hand to engage first target, which means I was too late for 2nd disappearing target.)

Stage - Oops!: Start loaded and holstered standing with hands relaxed by your side facing downrange. Targets are arranged in three arrays of three each. Each array must be done strong hand, weak hand and free style, three at a time. Non-threats are in the way. (This is the one where I had a malfunction and that rattled me and I forgot weak hand only on the last three.)

Stage 4 - Gas Stop Boogie: A gang of thugs gather around your van bent on your demise. Start loaded and holstered facing van, strong hand on gas nozzle. You start holding the gas handle pumping gas into van. On signal, engage two static targets to right-rear of van from cover, then one behind hostage through van windows on other side of van. Then, move forward along drivers side to engage one static target and then one target that was being covered by a non-threat that was triggered by a sensor on the driver side of the van. Then, take out one target through driver window on other side of van. (This is the one where I thought the target was considered disappearing and I did not engage, getting me the FTN award.)

Stage 5 - A Friendly Card Game: Your friendly card game gets interrupted by a gang come to rob everyone. Fight your way to the rear exit. Start loaded and holstered, seated on stool holding cards in both hands. Everybody knows this one, but one head shot each, avoiding nonthreats, then going into shoothouse and taking out three more targets on right, which would expose you to target on your left down hallway if you don't watch your cover. (Many got cover penalties here.)

Stage 6 - In The Kitchen: You are cooking breakfast when you have to counter a home invasion. Start standing facing stove, strong hand on handle of frying pan. Loaded Gun and reloads are on kitchen table inside gun case. You drop pan on stove, retrieve loaded gun and 1-2 mags, then engage one target through doorway, then move towards doorway, triggering one turner and one dissappearing target through doorway on right, shooting and watching cover and not exposing yourself to target to left down hallway. Then one more static target on right, then target down hallway then two targets outside shoothouse from behind cover. (This was fun and challenging and I didn't screw it up.)

Stage 7 - Trouble at the Roach Coach: There is an attempted robbery of your lunch wagon. Start loaded and holstered, leaning on the edge of the counter with both hands. Take out three targets behind non-threats at counter, then move to other side and through 2" wide slot shoot three more targets about 40 feet away. (One person DQ'd here for muzzling himself. )

Stage 8 - Fast then Slow II: Start next to fence about 5 feet from three static targets that get two shots each moving or while standing. Then move to left/rear and from low cover with one knee on ground from behind/near barrel shoot four more targets with mostly head shots because of a group of nonthreats in front of them. Very easy to knick a nonthreat here...I did ok.

Stage 9 - Dry Cleaners: You are at the ATM outside getting cash to pay the bill. While you are getting your cash you notice a lookout just as he sounds the alarm to his buddies who are robbing the cleaners. Start loaded and holstered standing at the ATM with strong hand on keys. Shoot pepper-popper to start a pair of movers inside building through window. Movers are disappearing at different rates. Then return to take two more targets on left next to Popper, then tac mag recommended, then through hallway of building to take out another target through window, another through doorway and another to left of doorway, all while maintaining cover....difficult cover situation.

Stage 10 - Jefe in Trouble: Being the “Bossman” sometimes makes you a target and sometimes you have to handle stuff yourself. Start seated in near seat of van with loaded gun on seat beside you. Two targets through van window on right behind nonthreats, then seven targets to left with one shot each in priority, then swing back to target on right with two shots at about 50 feet away.

Stage 11 - Run off the Road:
You have been run off the road during an attempted carjack. Start seated in vehicle, hands on wheel, loaded gun on seat, reloads in glove box. Loaded gun on seat. Grab gun, shoot six into left target from drivers side, then four with two shots each through passenger side. Vehicle is tilted up on passenger side, so moving your body up the seat is necessary to get sights on targets.

Stage 12 - Johnny "Sacks":While attending a funeral of a famed mobster, trouble erupts with a rival mob family. Star loaded and holstered. Hands on casket in back of vehicle next to grave. Release casket, put 3 into target in grave, then move to large gravestone and take out 5 more targets from low cover on knee with targets 50 feet away in the trees. ...had to take your time. (Multiple DQ's here for muzzle flag violations during reloads)

Stage 13 - In the Woods and then it goes Bad: You are cutting trees that were damaged by a recent storm when you are attacked by looters. Start standing holding saw with both hands. Holding chainsaw with both hands, drop chainsaw, then engage one target on the move to right. Then, drop behind large log and engage targets in woods while prone, and after each target scrunching forward (or procedural).

Stage 14 - Speed Drill III: Limited Vickers. Sitting at picnic table, engage three static targets two shots each avoiding nonthreats just below them, then one steel plate. Must do mag change to shoot plate. Then string two same thing except from right.

Stage 15 - Suzanne's Bike Ride: Little Louie and his gang are at it again. This time terrorizing people biking in the park. He picked the wrong person today. Start kneeling beside bike checking the chain (both hands on chain). At least one knee on ground with both hands on bike, draw and engage targets in woods from behind tree from low cover in priority and one about 50 feet away.

Stage 16 - Saving Earl: You and your buddy. Earl are taking a shortcut through an alley, when three guys jump into the alley and shoot Earl. As you counter these threats and move to get Earl to safety three more bad guys appear in front of you. Start holstered and loaded, with 6 rounds only, standing. Downloaded to six for first mag. Step off of platform which triggers three targets about 25 feet away to fall down, one at a time. Then mag change, and grab and drag dummy with weak hand and pull to trigger threee disappearing targets behind drums at varying rates and sequence. (Most thought this was the most challenging stage. I actually got two bullets in first three targets and one in each of the disappearing ones. This was fun!)

cclaxton
06-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Did they seriously field strip guns to check the firing pin blocks? Is that normal for state level IDPA matches? I think they release the hammer manually and they can detect if it has no FPB. They must have then field stripped. I think they were suspicious of certain guns that tend to be modified improperly.

66L
06-17-2012, 09:58 PM
I was shooting there on Thursday as well. Squad 4, with the young man that DQ'd in the taco truck for swinging the muzzle over himself. That was stage one, stage two for us saw another DQ for a guy firing a round nearly at his feet. And then our third, and final DQ, occurred on our stage 3 with a fella sweeping the entire crowd with a loaded pistol. 3 DQ's in the first 3 stages had me plenty worried, but that was the end of that for us.

Some of the stages were tough! 16 with the 3 falling targets, dummy drag, and 3 rising targets was brutal. I was in ESR shooting a 625 revolver. I might as well have removed my sights for all the good they did me on that one. I was pulling the trigger as fast as I could in the general direction with zero sight picture. Overall I thought it was a well run match and certainly worth going to in the future.

Have they put up the scores anywhere?

cclaxton
06-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Have they put up the scores anywhere?

This is all I can find: http://www.idpa.com/blog/category/Events.aspx

KeeFus
06-18-2012, 05:45 AM
stage two for us saw another DQ for a guy firing a round nearly at his feet.

Yea, I heard about that one from my buddy. They say he literally almost shot his foot/leg! I'll bet Dean, who was CSO on that stage, was beside himself.

They havent posted the scores yet. It should be today or tomorrow. Vogel killed everybody, as usual.

ToddG
06-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Did they seriously field strip guns to check the firing pin blocks? Is that normal for state level IDPA matches?

The Carolina Cup isn't really a state level match, name notwithstanding. It is and always has been a major event bringing in all of the top people in the sport. The Match Director, Frank Glover, has been running the best IDPA matches for as long as I can remember. When I was still actively participating, Frank's match was universally accepted as better than Nationals most years.
I've been to state-level matches where all the guns were thoroughly checked and I've been to Nationals where everything was done on trust. The latter has led to some very ugly situations in the past. Personally, I'm glad to see that they're taking the extra effort to make sure everyone is on a level playing field per the rules.

KeeFus
06-18-2012, 08:44 AM
This guys youtube channel has hat cam footage of most, if not all, of the stages. His camera is kinda dancing around but you get the stages.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheShootersDigest

And another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-4YpOU6Y9Q

Results: http://the-carolinacup.com/results/2012/Results.pdf

cclaxton
06-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Congratulations to Virginians for their performance at the Carolina Cup!!!

Rob Tate, 1st Place SSP Master

Ravin Perry, 2nd Place ESP Master

John Allen, 2nd Place SSP Sharpshooter.

And, to any other Virginians who placed...sorry if I didn't get your name here.

Watch out Vogel, Tate is catching up.

CC

66L
06-18-2012, 01:51 PM
This guys youtube channel has hat cam footage of most, if not all, of the stages. His camera is kinda dancing around but you get the stages.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheShootersDigest

And another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-4YpOU6Y9Q

Results: http://the-carolinacup.com/results/2012/Results.pdf

The "hat cam" is from me, but it's actually shooting glasses with a camera built in. It was an early fathers day present and I could think of no better way to try it out. Apologies for the bouncing, and poor shooting, but overall I thought it turned out well enough. And I only got 13 of the 16 stages, though I have no explanation why.

KeeFus
06-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Any one coming to Oxford for the Nationals in September?

theblacknight
06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Is there a difference in how SO's run big matches like this vs locals in regaurds to shooting and the stages? A lot of local guys like to add in their 2 cents on top of the stage description.

cclaxton
06-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Is there a difference in how SO's run big matches like this vs locals in regaurds to shooting and the stages? A lot of local guys like to add in their 2 cents on top of the stage description.

I don't see a big difference. On Stage 16, I heard the SO say that HE would draw first, but the COF didn't specify either.

Sometimes local SO's are more lax on certain kinds of calls. Nobody ever calls round-dumping at local matches. (maybe because they don't agree with the rule.) They tend to be firm about cover, muzzle, and trigger calls...as they should be. And, sometimes they will "give" you a bullet that barely touched the perforation, etc.

And local SO's are more helpful with tips and strategy at the local level because, after all, they are practice for sanctioned matches.

Just my take.
CC

chuck s
06-19-2012, 08:51 PM
I did the match on friday and saturday and next year I will probably do it all in one day as I plan to do at the Nationals. It seemed I had just got going good on friday when we were finished for the day and then had to wait untill saturday at 1pm to shoot the second half. The match is run so well that doing 16 stages in one day is no problem. The confines of some of the courses made it a set up to break the 180, or in many cases much less than 180. I think stages 11 and 12 had the most DQs. The way they checked your ammo and your gun were really well done and did not slow the match at all and I think it should be done at every sanctioned match. The East coast championship and the NC state match should seem easy after the Cup.

theblacknight
06-20-2012, 08:23 AM
What are the rules for the little side match to win the gun? I heard certain people got multiple reshoots and such.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

KeeFus
06-20-2012, 10:27 AM
What are the rules for the little side match to win the gun? I heard certain people got multiple reshoots and such.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

If they reshoot the side match they paid $10.00 it. I shot it twice and paid $20.00.

Johes
06-20-2012, 07:21 PM
If they reshoot the side match they paid $10.00 it. I shot it twice and paid $20.00.

They gave away 2 M&P Shields, one for the fastest time (Mr Vogel of course), and a drawing for all who shot the side match. BTW, new member here, I can't believe I didn't know about this forum.