PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Glock AIWB light bearing holster?

pastaslinger
10-06-2020, 06:17 PM
Just curious what people are running and what mods they have done. I have tried to run the x300 ultra but I just don't love my current light bearing AIWB holster (DSG) and end up switching to my non light bearing AIWB (also DSG). I looked at the Tenicor thread and the Malus Sol seems like a nice option but I'm wondering if I just haven't set my holster up right or if I should be getting a certain make.

Up1911Fan
10-06-2020, 06:29 PM
No X300 here, but I've come to prefer the Tenicor Certum 3 with a foam wedge added for a G17/TLR-7A. I'll probably give the Mal Sol a try with an X300 at some point.

Duke
10-06-2020, 06:54 PM
The Malus sol is the best I’ve used so for with an x300.

The floodlight and Gotham units are both - terrible- for my use and I say that having earned a fast coin drawing from a Gotham

theJanitor
10-06-2020, 06:54 PM
I've got three DGS rigels. they are the most comfortable AIWB holster I've tried, aside from the 5shot SME. The addition of the X300 spreads the pressure over a wider area and reduces the feeling of being jabbed by the holster. Unfortunately, the rigel doesn't play well with the X300V, so for the pistol sporting that, I'm using the rig from Henry Holsters

eta: I'm using modified Discreet carry concepts clips on the Henry

GearFondler
10-07-2020, 03:47 AM
Henry Holster Spark w/ DCC clips for me... I find it smaller and more comfortable than the Gotham. And it conceals better for me than anything else I've tried, light or no light.

texasaggie2005
10-07-2020, 08:09 AM
No experience with any other light bearing holster, but I really like my Tenicor Malus Sol.

MDFA
10-07-2020, 08:17 AM
I'm using a PHLster Floodlight for a TLR1 HL with a foam wedge I made. Works for my Gen 5 19 with comp, Commander, and will work with my Staccatto C2 when it arrives. I did cut the extra Kydex from the muzzle area that wasn't needed to cover the ends of my pistols.

Whiskey_Bravo
10-07-2020, 09:35 AM

I chose to have Tony modify his light bearing AIWB for me and am very happy with it overall. Good tuck even without and kind of external wing. I did add the DSG tear drop muzzle pad afterwards and found that it greatly enhances comfort and ease of on/off.

Thn9mm
10-07-2020, 10:08 AM
AIWB Holsters I have tried for my Glock 19 with X300U-B:
- G Code INCOG
- Tier 1 Concealment Axis Slim
- Tier 1 Concealment Axis Elite
- Phlster Floodlight
- Bawidamann Gotham V1

My favorite is the Tier 1 Axis Elite. It is very stable, creates a flat platform across the waistline, enables spare mag carry at a canted slant for easy retrieval. I have not pressure tested the holster with grappling but it stays on with running, lifting, and daily activities. I have a two hour commute daily and it is very comfortable in the car. I have worn it to multiple pistol classes without issues (including ones with rolling around urban prone, inside vehicle maneuvering, etc). The Axis slim is similar but the magazine is not as canted.
My second favorite is the Phlster and you cannot beat the floodlight for its near universality.
I have foam wedges on all my AIWB holsters.

BTW, I would not recommend the foam wedges that Tier 1 now sells. They are too narrow for my taste. I like the foam wedge from LAS concealment. https://lasconcealment.com/products/tear-drop-foam-wedge
I have an LAS concealment AIWB Saya 2.0 for my Staccato P and C2 duo and it is very comfortable with the X300U. I know you were looking for Glock 19 AIWB but since it can comfortably carry/conceal the Staccatos, i would imagine that it would be comfortable with the G19 as well.

I would NOT recommend at all the INCOG or the Gotham Version1

pastaslinger
10-09-2020, 07:23 PM
Tried the DSG Rigel again, but instead of using the clip it came with I switched to pull the dot loops. It's definitely an improvement, but I'm finding the part of the holster containing the light is rubbing my thigh in an uncomfortable way. I am wondering about switching the mod wing to either a dark wing, light wing, or running it without a wing. Any suggestions? I have a dark wing I can throw on and can obviously try it without any wing, but I don't happen to have a light wing to try.

I also just bought some shorty DCC clips to try. Have no experience with them yet.

nightstalker865
10-09-2020, 07:49 PM
Tier 1 Concealed Axis Elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Cid
10-10-2020, 06:58 PM
JM Custom Kydex. G19 with TLR-7/8A

https://i.imgur.com/IBvLCZN_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Xhado
10-11-2020, 08:23 AM

The floodlight and Gotham units are both - terrible- for my use and I say that having earned a fast coin drawing from a Gotham

Have you ever had issues with a comped Glock being exposed out the end of the Malus Sol?

Duke
10-11-2020, 08:55 AM
Have you ever had issues with a comped Glock being exposed out the end of the Malus Sol?

No. The big ass yoga block wedge I use keeps the hot parts off your soft parts

orionz06
10-11-2020, 11:29 AM
Tried the DSG Rigel again, but instead of using the clip it came with I switched to pull the dot loops. It's definitely an improvement, but I'm finding the part of the holster containing the light is rubbing my thigh in an uncomfortable way. I am wondering about switching the mod wing to either a dark wing, light wing, or running it without a wing. Any suggestions? I have a dark wing I can throw on and can obviously try it without any wing, but I don't happen to have a light wing to try.

I also just bought some shorty DCC clips to try. Have no experience with them yet.

A little bit of reverse cant may help too.

pastaslinger
10-27-2020, 04:33 PM
Got a bunch of hardware to play with recently. I'm currently trying the Rigel with PTD loops and a lightwing. I didn't think the light wing would make a difference but I think the setup conceals a little better and is a tad more comfortable compared to the modwing I had. I tried DCC clips on the Rigel but it just felt off- like the gun no longer moved with me enough, especially seated. I would've tried the DCC monoblock but it won't fit and I don't want to grind the hardware mounting area down just for a test.

On the other hand, I switched the PTD loops for DCC clips on the Orion (with a dark wing) I have and love it. I wasn't hopeful for this, but it seems to conceal a little better with the lower profile clips. More importantly to me, the movement issue I had on the Rigel isn't there.

I am not running neoprene on either and don't feel a need to right now.

orionz06
10-27-2020, 05:56 PM
I would've tried the DCC monoblock but it won't fit and I don't want to grind the hardware mounting area down just for a test.

Top mount attachments aren't something I ever want my holsters to be compatible with, they require too much to be 100% secure, if they even can be, and the bending imparted on the holster shell will shorten the life greatly. The Monoblock is a replacement for the crappy plastic clips people shouldn't be using but choose to anyway.

Duke
10-27-2020, 06:20 PM
Top mount attachments aren't something I ever want my holsters to be compatible with, they require too much to be 100% secure, if they even can be, and the bending imparted on the holster shell will shorten the life greatly. The Monoblock is a replacement for the crappy plastic clips people shouldn't be using but choose to anyway.

Concur with fomi clips of any kind.. I appreciate the effort to design the monoblock but found it lacking for my needs.

To the degree that hard plastic/polymer can be trusted to secure a holstered weapon - I find the JM kydex split loop to be the least worst. My only issue with them is the attachment quite literally prints far worse than the gun or other gear - a phenomenon that plagues me with PTD loops as well.

pastaslinger
10-28-2020, 12:11 AM
Concur with fomi clips of any kind.. I appreciate the effort to design the monoblock but found it lacking for my needs.

To the degree that hard plastic/polymer can be trusted to secure a holstered weapon - I find the JM kydex split loop to be the least worst. My only issue with them is the attachment quite literally prints far worse than the gun or other gear - a phenomenon that plagues me with PTD loops as well.

Went for a long walk today with the DCC clips and if they do nothing else well, the printing from the PTD snaps is gone

Anyone have experience with the DCC special applications clips? I am interested in the lower snag risk with clothes when moving around

Dennis
10-28-2020, 01:38 AM
I don't like any extra bulk in my IWB carry holsters.

Dennis.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201028/207a9600a88a52b0b27ca013f89501a3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201028/dd1b130b2d9f16a1f780d2f9b56e0bca.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Duke
10-28-2020, 07:12 AM
I don't like any extra bulk in my IWB carry holsters.

Dennis.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201028/207a9600a88a52b0b27ca013f89501a3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201028/dd1b130b2d9f16a1f780d2f9b56e0bca.jpg

IWB isn’t AIWB.

DueSpada
10-28-2020, 09:14 AM
I trained my IWB to be AIWB when I put it there.

Dennis, please tell us more about that holster, your second photo is the tease.

Dennis
10-28-2020, 08:20 PM
I trained my IWB to be AIWB when I put it there.

Dennis, please tell us more about that holster, your second photo is the tease.

True. AIWB has different requirements and I would say clips would be much more functional than loops.

I was forced to make my own IWB holsters when they were all too overbuilt and I wanted maximum concealability and comfort. I make them out of 0.08" Kydex and after careful cardboard and blue tape WML channel making and forming them in a homemade press, I can bend them to my body shape. I have carried daily with these for a decade and have no issues with all day driving, walking, hiking, and even running.

I carry Raven OWB for duty or G17/X300

Dennis.

BCA
10-29-2020, 10:31 PM

Magnus Sol for me too

GearFondler
10-29-2020, 10:51 PM
No. The big ass yoga block wedge I use keeps the hot parts off your soft partsYou added a foam wedge on top of the built-in wedge or down below it? Cuz that's alotta wedge!

Duke
10-30-2020, 06:25 AM
You added a foam wedge on top of the built-in wedge or down below it? Cuz that's alotta wedge!

Yes. My wedge goes over and extends further down than the molded in wedge

I need a huge wedge and less grip rotation than most to get the best concealment and grip

pastaslinger
11-04-2020, 09:58 AM
Yes. My wedge goes over and extends further down than the molded in wedge

I need a huge wedge and less grip rotation than most to get the best concealment and grip

I'm not a big wedge guy but I do like having the soft velcro on the holster where it contacts my thigh. I feel the dark wing gives me the rotation I need for both pulling the grip in and slightly tipping the barrel out.

I have a jmck wing claw 2.5 sitting around that I might try the dark wing on as well, but I'm really loving the dsg orion with the DCC clips and dark wing for now (or the Rigel with PTD loops and lightwing when carrying with an x300u).

Hstanton1
11-05-2020, 02:47 PM
I’ve got some experience with the PHLster floodlight and the tenicor malus sol. I don’t think either of them are perfect, but each of them does something very well.

For me at least, the muzzle end of the PHLster was dramatically more comfortable than the tenicor because It’s cut flush with the bezel of the x300. I also found that the way PHLster molds the kydex around the light bezel to be slightly more comfortable than the way tenicor does it, even with loop side Velcro tape over the bezel. The PHLster also conceals better for me, even with big yoga block wedges on both holsters. His is probably because of the modwing.

The tenicor had better coverage of the trigger guard, better attachment options out of the box (I didn’t have to buy DCC clips separately like I did for the PHLster) better fit and retention since it’s a Glock specific holster, and my favorite sweat guard design out of any holster I’ve seen or worn. Granted, I’m pretty new to this and only have experience with PHLster, tenicor, and darkstar gear. Whether the sweatguard is even a consideration is all up to you though, I’m fat so I prefer to have something keeping my rear sight from stabbing my gut.

Bottom line is that I returned the tenicor and kept the PHLster, but neither have been as comfortable for long periods of time as my non light bearing holster has been.

JSGlock34
11-08-2020, 12:40 PM
I've struggled to find an AIWB solution for my Roland Special with the X300U attached. My preferred AIWB holster is the Keeper, which doesn't come in a light-bearing variant. I have a very thin build and not a lot of waist, and I've found claw holsters too bulky for me. I don't need much rotation or tuck to make concealment work - generally I want the holster to be flat with a minimal footprint, and I much prefer a higher ride. I acknowledge "minimal footprint" and "X300U" are not an easy combination.

So I've recently pressed a JMCK light-bearing IWB3 into service as an AIWB solution. With the split loops in a reverse cant position and the highest ride, it seems to be working well for me. I understand that the IWB3 lacks the grip rotating aspects of the 'George', but with the right belt the grip seems to hug my waistline well enough. Going to work with this a bit more.

pastaslinger
11-08-2020, 04:18 PM
I've struggled to find an AIWB solution for my Roland Special with the X300U attached. My preferred AIWB holster is the Keeper, which doesn't come in a light-bearing variant. I have a very thin build and not a lot of waist, and I've found claw holsters too bulky for me. I don't need much rotation or tuck to make concealment work - generally I want the holster to be flat with a minimal footprint, and I much prefer a higher ride. I acknowledge "minimal footprint" and "X300U" are not an easy combination.

So I've recently pressed a JMCK light-bearing IWB3 into service as an AIWB solution. With the split loops in a reverse cant position and the highest ride, it seems to be working well for me. I understand that the IWB3 lacks the grip rotating aspects of the 'George', but with the right belt the grip seems to hug my waistline well enough. Going to work with this a bit more.
[]

A different belt attachment might help you out, maybe a DCC monoblock.

overton
07-05-2023, 12:11 AM
I am in the market for a lightbearing holster for my Glock 19. Not sure yet which light to use with it. Looking hard at the JMCK model:

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/Q-WC-2-5-LB.html

Have your recommendations changed? Did you try out new models? What didn't work for you?
Please show me your setup, as the options on some models are almost endless.

PNWTO
07-05-2023, 12:18 AM
TLR-7/8 series is pretty awesome for (A)IWB use; not too impressive when compared to the some of bigger lightsabers on the market but the size is right.

What pistol?

If a bigger X300/TLR-1/Modlite is desired then the newest PHLster Flood Light is pretty comfortable, despite the big footprint.

leathermaneod
10-08-2023, 09:47 AM
I recently switched from slim Glocks to a 26 and a 19. Both carried in my Tenicor Certum, which is the best holster I’ve ever used btw, with the addition of a MMT pillow pad. Well I decided I want to start carrying my G19 with a TLR7A so I ordered a Certum Lux. It’s amazing as I knew it would be, except that there is not enough space for my big knuckles between the grip and the caming bar. A few test runs and my middle finger knuckle is already raw. I’m thinking about giving Trex arms a try but I have a slight gut and usually run my holster more to the 1:30-2 position that directly up front. I looked at the Henry spark, but I don’t want a kydex kicker on the back, I tried that with the Velo and it doesn’t work for me. I need to be able to mount the MMT pillow pad and DCC clips are preferred. What are your suggestions?

Blades
10-08-2023, 08:20 PM
I recently switched from slim Glocks to a 26 and a 19. Both carried in my Tenicor Certum, which is the best holster I’ve ever used btw, with the addition of a MMT pillow pad. Well I decided I want to start carrying my G19 with a TLR7A so I ordered a Certum Lux. It’s amazing as I knew it would be, except that there is not enough space for my big knuckles between the grip and the caming bar. A few test runs and my middle finger knuckle is already raw. I’m thinking about giving Trex arms a try but I have a slight gut and usually run my holster more to the 1:30-2 position that directly up front. I looked at the Henry spark, but I don’t want a kydex kicker on the back, I tried that with the Velo and it doesn’t work for me. I need to be able to mount the MMT pillow pad and DCC clips are preferred. What are your suggestions?

JM Custom Kydex. (https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/)