PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on P220 Extraction Issues

John Hearne
06-17-2012, 03:09 PM
I am running a P220 X-Change slide on a P220 Match frame. This is a stainless slide with the "classic" external extractor.

Yesterday, I was shooting a USPSA match and had issues. When shooting the last stage, I had three double feeds. I cleared them and finished the stage so I didn't examine the malfunction. The one time I looked in the chamber area, I could see two rounds competing for the feedway. I was shooting factory ammunition and the gun had run well up to then. The gun had not been cleaned since it was last fired so it was dirty but well lubed.

After the match, I detail stripped the piece and cleaned it to a pristine condition. I then ran 200 rounds of ammo through it without a hitch. I've examined the extractor under a magnifying glass and can find no physical defects - no chips and the edge is sharp. The only anomoly is that there is a mild indentation where the extractor pin contacts the extractor.

My immediate impression is that the extractor could not hold tension on a case in a dirty chamber. I'm inclined to order a new extractor, extractor pin, and extractor spring and just replace all of the parts pre-emptively.

Any thoughts on this, assume this is a duty gun.

ToddG
06-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Any thoughts on this, assume this is a duty gun.

Get another duty gun until this is thoroughly resolved.

I thought the new external P220 extractors were working well, so hopefully this is just a fluke. I'd probably start by replacing the extractor spring and if that alone was inadequate I'd try the extractor itself. If that still didn't fix things, I'd send the gun to SIG.