PDA

View Full Version : Impending barrel failure?

DpdG
10-04-2020, 09:44 PM
While doing a routine wipe down of safe queens I noticed some rather odd looking marks on the barrel hood of my surplus FEG Hi-Power. The most concerning of which goes most of the way around the hood, right in line with the recoil lug:
I have no idea of its service history, but I got it about a year ago and put all new springs in it before firing. Since then I’ve put about 800-1000 through it, but now am wondering if it’s safe to shoot. What say the hive?

OlongJohnson
10-04-2020, 10:11 PM
Looks like a crack to me. It probably lines up with the step in the chamber for the case mouth to headspace. Definitely take it to a gunsmith or someone who can dye penetrant check it. Or maybe try the cotton test - if a cotton ball leaves fibers behind, it's likely a crack.

You might also try putting some rearward force on the locking lug and see if you can open it visually. Or put some thin oil in it and see if you can squeeze some out by pressing the two sides together.

I would not fire it, at least until it's checked out by a competent person.

SecondsCount
10-04-2020, 10:44 PM
That looks like a parting line where two pieces of a 2-piece barrel would mate.

This may help you (https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210564)

jeep45238
10-04-2020, 11:02 PM
I'm 98% pretty sure most Hi-Power's run a two part barrel system, including FN and Browning build pistols. Assuming I'm not wrong, I'd lick that stamp and send it.

https://hipowersandhandguns.com/TwoPieceBarrels.htm

OlongJohnson
10-04-2020, 11:49 PM
^^^Those people clearly know more about Hi-Powers than I did.

Suvorov
10-05-2020, 01:15 AM
I've always had a soft spot for Hungarian girls........

She sure is pretty!

Lost River
10-05-2020, 07:38 AM
All I know is that I really like that vise!:)

Duelist
10-05-2020, 07:44 AM
I’ve only got limited experience with the Hi Power, but that looks like a two-piece barrel to me, too.

DpdG
10-05-2020, 11:05 AM

I watched too many YouTube videos of vice restorations so I found a package deal on a couple old and battered ones, then started cleaning and painting. It turned out pretty well for my first effort.

Jason Burton
10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Yes, two-piece barrel... looks completely normal to my amature eye.

Croesus
10-05-2020, 01:44 PM
Looks like a typical BHP barrel to me. I've had several over the years. I just looked at two I have in the safe, both Browning/FN -- a 1968 and a mid '70s. Both have the same line in the same location. Most factory BHP barrels are two piece. I'd shoot it.

DpdG
10-05-2020, 02:17 PM
Thanks all, that’s what I get for a lack of knowledge of historical pistols. Glad to know it can remain in the land of the living.

mmc45414
10-05-2020, 02:38 PM

I watched too many YouTube videos of vice restorations so I found a package deal on a couple old and battered ones, then started cleaning and painting. It turned out pretty well for my first effort.
Wait, antique vice restoration is a thing?
This was my grandfathers, still works great:

JonInWA
10-05-2020, 02:51 PM
While doing a routine wipe down of safe queens I noticed some rather odd looking marks on the barrel hood of my surplus FEG Hi-Power. The most concerning of which goes most of the way around the hood, right in line with the recoil lug:
I have no idea of its service history, but I got it about a year ago and put all new springs in it before firing. Since then I’ve put about 800-1000 through it, but now am wondering if it’s safe to shoot. What say the hive?

The hive says you're good, the barrel's fine-it's perfectly normal. The hive also says you need new grips....

Best, Jon

DpdG
10-05-2020, 02:57 PM
No doubt new grips would have more purchase and would look nicer, but a part of me likes that the entire gun looks like it’s seen a lot honest wear. At this point it’s a “passion of the gun” item more than anything else, plus the occasional retro division 2 gun matches.

JonInWA
10-05-2020, 03:03 PM
No doubt new grips would have more purchase and would look nicer, but a part of me likes that the entire gun looks like it’s seen a lot honest wear. At this point it’s a “passion of the gun” item more than anything else, plus the occasional retro division 2 gun matches.

If you want, I'd be happy to send you the FN OEM black polymer grips that came with mine; they're brand new, unused and languishing in a box waiting for a new home if you'd like. The left grip is cut for a lanyard loop post. They're the old style flat grips, checkered, with a smooth trim surround.

Best, Jon

DpdG
10-05-2020, 03:28 PM
If you want, I'd be happy to send you the FN OEM black polymer grips that came with mine; they're brand new, unused and languishing in a box waiting for a new home if you'd like. The left grip is cut for a lanyard loop post. They're the old style flat grips, checkered, with a smooth trim surround.

Best, Jon

That’s a very gracious gesture, I’ll take it to PMs.

DpdG
10-05-2020, 03:29 PM
Wait, antique vice restoration is a thing?
This was my grandfathers, still works great:

That’s a beaut and likely worth more than you expect. Please be careful of the jaw inserts, as the Monarchs seem to use non-standard style and would likely be difficult to replace.

mmc45414
10-05-2020, 03:59 PM
That’s a beaut and likely worth more than you expect. Please be careful of the jaw inserts, as the Monarchs seem to use non-standard style and would likely be difficult to replace.
Well dang, not quite like I feel quite like this guy:
https://youtu.be/b9Y4bmbh1KY
But glad to know I got something I should pay attention to. It is on a bench in the basement, so it really doesn't get too much harsh use, but in the future I will be a little nicer to it when grinding on something in it. This came from my grandfather that had an interesting blue color career at the USAF Aerospace Medical Research Lab at Wright Patt, and I have a bunch of his other machinist tools (lots of micrometers, etc.) that might also be old enough to be cool. Maybe I should be giving some thoughts to who should inherit them (we have no kids), because it is not something I could bring myself to sell but I dunno who would appreciate them.

Oh well, enough hijack.

JonInWA
10-05-2020, 04:04 PM
That’s a very gracious gesture, I’ll take it to PMs.

Here's an image of them:

https://i.imgur.com/L4h51QGh.jpg

Best, Jon

DpdG
10-05-2020, 07:46 PM
Well dang, not quite like I feel quite like this guy:
https://youtu.be/b9Y4bmbh1KY
But glad to know I got something I should pay attention to. It is on a bench in the basement, so it really doesn't get too much harsh use, but in the future I will be a little nicer to it when grinding on something in it. This came from my grandfather that had an interesting blue color career at the USAF Aerospace Medical Research Lab at Wright Patt, and I have a bunch of his other machinist tools (lots of micrometers, etc.) that might also be old enough to be cool. Maybe I should be giving some thoughts to who should inherit them (we have no kids), because it is not something I could bring myself to sell but I dunno who would appreciate them.

Oh well, enough hijack.

I’m no expert, and I hope I didn’t give you the impression old vises are worth huge money, but it wouldn’t surprise me if you could turn it into..... half a case of 9mm at today’s prices.

Here’s a video of a vice similar to yours:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=oVxPuEpFYc8

fatdog
10-06-2020, 09:29 AM
All factory Browning, FM (Argentina) and FEG barrels in any generation of the gun that I have ever seen are two piece, the line is supposed to be there. I have only ever seen a Barstow and a Nowlin that were machined as one piece barrels.

willie
10-06-2020, 09:37 AM
Completely normal two piece barrel. I never understood how this method of manufacture is more efficient unless it eliminates discarding a complete barrel in the the event of an error in forming the chamber. Perhaps one of our distinguished engineers could explain this.

JAH 3rd
10-06-2020, 12:14 PM
I have the Springfield 1911 5" Loaded model. I've had it 15 years or so. Anyway, I was online one night and ran across an article about Springfield's two-piece barrels used in 1911s. Article was complete with pics. Compared my barrel to the pic and shonuff, it was two-piece. Haven't had any problems with the barrel. And got an education in the process!

mmc45414
10-06-2020, 12:33 PM
I never understood how this method of manufacture is more efficient unless it eliminates discarding a complete barrel in the the event of an error in forming the chamber.
Am not an engineer, but... pretty sure it has to do with starting with, and needing to machine away, less raw material.

As an unrelated reference, I recently watched this video and it was interesting that for the bolt action with the integrated scope base and recoil lug they stared with a bar that weighed 9 pounds and made an action that weighed 1.5 pounds:
https://youtu.be/VkvFtlTEuSc