PDA

View Full Version : slip 2000 EWL

Packy
06-17-2012, 04:38 AM
I am presently using Mpro7 LPX with my G17.
I am sold to this because i just brush my slide to clean it then re-apply little amount of LPx and it is already clean.
My question is, can i do the same with Slip 2000 EWL? is it a good CLP or it is just good as a lube then get a separate solvent for cleaning?

Spr1
06-17-2012, 06:07 AM
It works great.

JSGlock34
06-17-2012, 10:30 AM
You can use EWL for cleaning (it is advertised as a CLP product), but I prefer to use Slip 2000 725 Gun Cleaner/Degreaser (http://www.slip2000.com/725.html) as a dedicated cleaner.

LittleLebowski
06-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Non chlorinated brake cleaner is good if you value your time.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

11B10
03-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Did a quick search here and found this thread about SLIP2000 - thought maybe I could/should add some info about another iteration: SLIP2000/EWL30. Forgive me for being so wordy, but...this stuff has really blown me away. I've ranged dangerously close to being a Life Member of The Gun of the Month club since I returned to the gun world. The only thing that saved me was the always present PITA of.....money....or rather the lack thereof. This info is relevant because my forays into the cleaning/lube world mirror the same results as my gun buying. That has ended. I read yet another article about SLIP2000, but this stuff has "EWL30" as a suffix. I can honestly say I've never had a firearm change this much....just by using a different product. For a while, I was convinced that the change was something I was doing or ? That was dry firing. Well, I now have significant live fire experience (>500 rounds) with this product and can tell you it's certainly something I recommend everyone at least try, even if you have to borrow some. I've now owned 3 Glock G30S's (among several other brands) and NONE of them was ever this....well, slick. This Glock feels and sounds like a different gun when you're dry firing. Every movement, racking the slide, dropping mags (yes, I applied some, sparingly to them) and especially the OEM trigger pull, are amazing. I have changed nothing internally except the lube. I realize this is probably not a news flash to PF members, but I just had to share my experience.

Clusterfrack
03-01-2019, 07:30 PM
I use SimpleGreen aircraft cleaner, and if it’s really carbon caked, brake cleaner/Gunscrubber.

I don’t love Slip2000. It’s too thin. I prefer Weaponshield and Lucas extreme oil. Lucas marine grease is good for high wear areas. Eg. I have 30,000 rounds on a CZ slide stop on a practice gun. I want to see how long it will go.

Peally
03-01-2019, 07:36 PM
It works, and doesn't smell like a chemical weapon which is a bonus.

It's like 10 bucks for any brand of anything just buy something. If it sucks you'll notice quick.

GuanoLoco
03-01-2019, 07:39 PM
SLIP2000 EWL is my go-to lube, with the exceptiion of a little 5% moly grease on sears.

500 rounds in a Glock? Grin. I could go 500 rounds in a Glock with 3-in-1, mineral oil or Vagisil, maybe even dry.

Not to be a total smart ass, but 300 to more liekly 500 sounds sounds like a typical Saturday live fire training for me with a CZ P-07/-09, Glock 19, or Tanfo Stock 2 and I’m way too lazy to re-lube every time I go out.

Mike C
03-01-2019, 07:40 PM
I love the smell os Simple Green... Slip2000 has worked very well for me on me carbines, the EWL30 has been amazing for the pistols you just have to remember to shake well before use.

CS Tactical
03-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Slip works very well, but I prefer Weaponshield CLP over everything I've tried.

StraitR
03-01-2019, 09:22 PM
I use Slip2000 EWL in my AR's. I got a big bottle of the stuff a few years ago and have been happy with it. I like that I can absolutely drench the bolt with little concern about getting sprayed in the face since it's non-toxic. Big plus when shooting suppressed. Never found a reason to switch. Probably buy another big bottle when I run out. Pat Rogers was a fan.

the Schwartz
03-01-2019, 11:18 PM
SLIP2000 EWL is my go-to lube, with the exceptiion of a little 5% moly grease on sears.

500 rounds in a Glock? Grin. I could go 500 rounds in a Glock with 3-in-1, mineral oil or Vagisil, maybe even dry.

Not to be a total smart ass, but 300 to more liekly 500 sounds sounds like a typical Saturday live fire training for me with a CZ P-07/-09, Glock 19, or Tanfo Stock 2 and I’m way too lazy to re-lube every time I go out.

I suspect that as long as one uses a lubricant formulated with a good base stock (esp. a Group IV or V base stock) and a decent additive package, brand does not matter. I've been using BreakFree LP (a little higher viscosity since it is without the 'C') for years and the guts of my guns show negligible wear.

Of course, the mental picture of someone applying a liberal coating of Vagisil to a pistol during a range session is pretty hilarious. Not that I would put it past some folks.... ;)

Medusa
03-02-2019, 12:09 AM
I used clp for years as that’s how I was first taught. In the last couple weeks I decided to try the ewl, the grease for rails and part of the mechanism of my px4 and the locking block on my 92, the degreaser, and the bore cleaner. I’m impressed so far though I don’t do 500 round range sessions often - stuff just seems to come clean more easily, and the reduced chemical smell is a nice bonus. I’ll probably stick with it.

rob_s
03-02-2019, 08:02 AM
I use SimpleGreen aircraft cleaner, and if it’s really carbon caked, brake cleaner/Gunscrubber.

I don’t love Slip2000. It’s too thin. I prefer Weaponshield and Lucas extreme oil. Lucas marine grease is good for high wear areas. Eg. I have 30,000 rounds on a CZ slide stop on a practice gun. I want to see how long it will go.

Yo probably know this, but they have different weights of Slip.

For me, the thinner OG Slip was for getting into places without necessarily taking them al apart. The thicker stuff was what I applied when detail stripped. At least on pistols.

On the AR I just hosed down the whole BCg with OG Slip and never had an issue.

11B10
03-02-2019, 08:51 AM
Cluster, others. All of you mention SLIP2000. I'm told (keep in mind I'm still relatively new to this) that the EWL30 is thicker. IOW, have you guys tried the EWL30?

And...Guano - I didn't take your post as being a smart ass - -I'm just jealous.

blues
03-02-2019, 09:00 AM
I primarily use the EWL, but have used the standard 2000 to good effect as well.

(Honestly, I think I'm probably just as well served with Super Lube synthetic, G96, or even the old standby, Break Free.)

John Hearne
03-02-2019, 09:05 AM
I keep both the original Slip 2000 and the EWL version on the bench. The EWL has been my solution to ARs in vertical gun locks baking in the Mississippi summer. Everything else that isn’t grease, runs into the receiver extension and you end up with a dry BCG.

Clusterfrack
03-02-2019, 10:50 AM
Actually I didn't know that--thanks. I've ignored anything Slip2000, but may have to try EWL and the grease.

I used canned air to get oil into sear cages, BCGs, etc. I don't like thin oil that gets all over the place, and my experience with Slip2000 is that it does reduce friction (for a while) and washes away contaminants, but is not a good wear-reducing lube.

Yo probably know this, but they have different weights of Slip.

For me, the thinner OG Slip was for getting into places without necessarily taking them al apart. The thicker stuff was what I applied when detail stripped. At least on pistols.

On the AR I just hosed down the whole BCg with OG Slip and never had an issue.

Cluster, others. All of you mention SLIP2000. I'm told (keep in mind I'm still relatively new to this) that the EWL30 is thicker. IOW, have you guys tried the EWL30?

And...Guano - I didn't take your post as being a smart ass - -I'm just jealous.

Clusterfrack
03-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Break Free is my least favorite lube. I have had terrible experience with it both in guns and when racing mountain XC bikes. For me, BF significantly reduced the life of bike chains and cogs. Plus I hate the way it smells.

I primarily use the EWL, but have used the standard 2000 to good effect as well.

(Honestly, I think I'm probably just as well served with Super Lube synthetic, G96, or even the old standby, Break Free.)

Chuck Whitlock
03-02-2019, 12:05 PM
After a fling with FrogLube, I just went with Slip2000 products. Both Uncle Pat and Sully were fans, so I just quit looking any further. I almost exclusively use the 30 weight over the thinner stuff, and couple that with the grease syringe where that is indicated. I'm not interested in chasing the next greatest thing anymore.

rob_s
03-02-2019, 12:06 PM
Actually I didn't know that--thanks. I've ignored anything Slip2000, but may have to try EWL and the grease.

I used canned air to get oil into sear cages, BCGs, etc. I don't like thin oil that gets all over the place, and my experience with Slip2000 is that it does reduce friction (for a while) and washes away contaminants, but is not a good wear-reducing lube.

Something else that just occurred to me as I’m sitting here reading the thread and remembering things...

The OG Slip did have issues in my early use. Even talked to Pat Rogers about it at length back then. The issue I was having was that I had a lot of rifles, and wasn’t shooting all of them all the time. A couple of guns that I lubed up with the OG formula had all of the lube run down the bolt and into the receiver extension when stored upright in the safe.

The EWL, and grease and 30 weight, fixed all that for me.

11B10
03-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Chuck, everyone...this is why I posted. Where else would I get such instant and knowledgeable feedback? Until SLIP2000EWL30 shows me something different, I'm done looking.

blues
03-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Break Free is my least favorite lube. I have had terrible experience with it both in guns and when racing mountain XC bikes. For me, BF significantly reduced the life of bike chains and cogs. Plus I hate the way it smells.

I never use it on anything that gets much wear...and really not as a lube. Just as an occasional cleaner when I don't need something more dedicated. Probably why I haven't had issues.

Medusa
03-02-2019, 08:07 PM
My go to when racing bikes (the kind you pedal) road and off road was Boeshield t-9. Got excellent wear on chains and chainrings despite many k miles and races a year. I hear some use it on firearms, but I don’t plan to.

Clusterfrack
03-02-2019, 08:11 PM
My go to when racing bikes (the kind you pedal) road and off road was Boeshield t-9. Got excellent wear on chains and chainrings despite many k miles and races a year. I hear some use it on firearms, but I don’t plan to.

Totally! Boeshield for the Win! It got me through the Shasta Lemurian in volcanic dust, although the chain and gears were fuct after. https://www.shastalemurian.com

JBP55
03-02-2019, 08:36 PM
I use Weapon Shield CLP to clean and lubricate with Mobil 1 20W50 VTWIN.

Robinson
03-04-2019, 02:11 PM
I've been using Slip 2000 EWL on my 1911s for a couple years now and it works fine for me. I like it better than the standard Slip 2000, which requires re-application more often in my experience..

willie
03-05-2019, 09:49 PM
I too like Slip EWL because I have become lazy.

Archer1440
03-13-2019, 12:08 PM
I've been using Slip 2k for at least 15 years now, the 30 weight variety for about 7 years, and I run the EWL grease in all my game guns. Stuff that rotates get wet lube, sliding stuff gets the grease.

I particularly like how it prevents carbon from sticking to the internals on my AR's. Literally, a paper towel cleanup job.

Interestingly, Sig Sauer has recently abandoned Lucas lubes in favor of a house-branded SLIP formulation.

Super77
03-17-2019, 07:20 AM
Out of curiosity how does the forum fins Slip2000 WRT corrosion prevention?

rob_s
03-17-2019, 07:28 AM
Out of curiosity how does the forum fins Slip2000 WRT corrosion prevention?

Speaking for SE Florida here...

I've lived everywhere from the edge of the Everglades to out on one of the barrier islands, 2 blocks from the Intercoastal and 2 blocks from the beach, and I've never had a rust or corrosion issue.

That said, I'm not storing my guns out in the garage or the like, so their exposure is pretty limited to when I take them out and shoot or handle them, but even in conditioned homes I've had other non-firearm household items get a bit of rust here and there. Nothing on my guns, and I use Slip products exclusively.

Doublestack45
03-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Speaking for SE Florida here...

I've lived everywhere from the edge of the Everglades to out on one of the barrier islands, 2 blocks from the Intercoastal and 2 blocks from the beach, and I've never had a rust or corrosion issue.

That said, I'm not storing my guns out in the garage or the like, so their exposure is pretty limited to when I take them out and shoot or handle them, but even in conditioned homes I've had other non-firearm household items get a bit of rust here and there. Nothing on my guns, and I use Slip products exclusively.

Not sure if it's been brought up, but some people's sweat is just more acidic. I had several Glocks start to pit horribly on the body side when worn appendix while working. This was when I was using Slip as a gun lube, including daily wipe downs. All holsters had full length sweat guards as well.
I do not fault Slip for this, but rather the dragon-like PH I inherited...thanks dad.

Sauer Koch
03-23-2019, 07:23 PM
Thinner to thicker: Gun Lube > EWL > EWL 30. Great products, including the EWG.

I bought some Lubriplate FMO-350 oil, and the SFL-0 grease, and I’m very happy with the quality of it. The 350 oil is listed as 20wt, but it seems as thick as the EWL 30 that I have. I’ve not used the SFL grease yet, as I’ve been trying to use up the EWG that I have left.
I’m totally sold on the 350 oil, it’ll be my primary oil, but I do have several small bottles that I’ve accumulated, just trying different products.