PDA

View Full Version : I had too! I have ammo!

P.E. Kelley
10-02-2020, 10:05 PM
Somehow I needed this. I think it is a handsome piece...(maybe the scope mount "cover plate" could
have been black) but no matter. It is mine and I've wanted a 6-1/2" 29!

https://www.multigunmedia.com/img/s/v-10/p4002544287-3.jpg

Edster
10-02-2020, 10:51 PM
Is that a gold/brass bead front sight? If so, how do you like it?

oregon45
10-02-2020, 11:02 PM
Are the scope mounting holes on the barrel shroud intended to fit a stand-alone mount, or are they intended to supplement the mounting holes under the front sight on the frame when using a long scope mount such as an SSK T'SOB?

Spartan1980
10-02-2020, 11:53 PM
I've came into a stash of .45 Colt ammo and am hankering for an older Model 25 or Ruger Alaskan in .454. You are NOT helping Mr. Kelley! :D

Bergeron
10-02-2020, 11:58 PM
N-Frames are sexy, no other explanations are required.

I'm sure we'd all love to hear about your thoughts once you expend some of that ammo on that gun.

okie john
10-03-2020, 09:17 AM
Your logic is fine. I used to work with a guy who bought a Marlin 336 because someone gave him a rear sight for it.

Okie John

03RN
10-03-2020, 09:48 AM
I've came into a stash of .45 Colt ammo and am hankering for an older Model 25 or Ruger Alaskan in .454. You are NOT helping Mr. Kelley! :D

I have a elpasso saddlery engraved threepersons holster for a 4" n frame that i am on the hunt for a 25/625 mountain gun to fill. Id also settle for a 28 or 1917 after a little barrel work.

revchuck38
10-03-2020, 09:54 AM
P.E. Kelley - You've got the gun and the ammo, so where are the targets/videos? C'mon, don't leave us hanging! :)

P.E. Kelley
10-03-2020, 10:55 AM
Is that a gold/brass bead front sight? If so, how do you like it?

I have a 1955 Target with the brass bead and find it is an effective, yet elegant, vintage fiber optic.

P.E. Kelley
10-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Are the scope mounting holes on the barrel shroud intended to fit a stand-alone mount, or are they intended to supplement the mounting holes under the front sight on the frame when using a long scope mount such as an SSK T'SOB?

A stand alone S&W mount was in the box with the gun.

P.E. Kelley
10-03-2020, 11:05 AM

Then I should not tell you I picked up a used Blackhawk in 45 Colt. It will suffer a self created alteration or three over the winter.

I've always liked the Python Vent Rib...
Might incorporate that into a "Dan Wesson" barrel shroud.
Bisley Grip
Bowen sights.

I won't know till I start and even then...

P.E. Kelley
10-03-2020, 11:08 AM
N-Frames are sexy, no other explanations are required.

I'm sure we'd all love to hear about your thoughts once you expend some of that ammo on that gun.

This I will do! It pleases me greatly that real guys guys welcome my thoughts. Thank you.

P.E. Kelley
10-03-2020, 11:10 AM
I have a elpasso saddlery engraved threepersons holster for a 4" n frame that i am on the hunt for a 25/625 mountain gun to fill. Id also settle for a 28 or 1917 after a little barrel work.

I want a 1917!

oregon45
10-03-2020, 11:12 AM
Bowen has built Ruger Redhawks using the Dan Wesson shroud system; the system is simple and robust and permits the use of any barrel blank so long as it's turned to the correct dimensions. I would be interesting to see it adapted to the Blackhawk frame. Over the years I have seen several Ruger Blackhawks with aftermarket ventilated barrel ribs; Poly-Choke made one, and there undoubtedly were others. They affixed to the barrel using an adhesive.

Lost River
10-04-2020, 09:59 PM
I want a 1917!

Jim Wall shoots his like a Boss.

He killed that cow elk a couple years ago with his .45 Auto Rim handloads. As if he was not cool enough!:cool:

medmo
10-05-2020, 10:22 AM
Like the Python vent rib? Poly Choke made vent ribs for BHs. You can still find them on eBay. If a BH and a Python got together and had a baby:

jtcarm
10-30-2020, 09:34 AM
Like the Python vent rib? Poly Choke made vent ribs for BHs. You can still find them on eBay. If a BH and a Python got together and had a baby:

Vent ribs belong on shotguns.

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave T
10-30-2020, 10:27 AM
Mr. Kelley,

I once bought a handgun, not because I had ammo but simply because I had the brass. (smiley face goes here)

Dave

medmo
10-30-2020, 12:47 PM

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Shotgun vent rib comments belong in the SHOTGUN forum. :cool:

OlongJohnson
10-30-2020, 01:01 PM
I've always liked the Python Vent Rib...
Might incorporate that into a "Dan Wesson" barrel shroud.

I've noticed that CZ sells the DW barrel nuts and tools pretty affordably. It has crossed my mind to look into machining an S&W two-piece barrel shroud to accept that, hence enabling the upgrading/correction of a lame factory barrel. Would be stupid easy with a BH.

RevolverRob
10-30-2020, 01:24 PM

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Look everyone is entitled to a wrong opinion and it would appear that this one happens to be your's.

Because Ham Bowen knows different...

____

I have a bunch (~200) of 225-grain flatpoints I loaded up as a softball load for my 1911s. And they are a little too soft to run my guns reliably. Rather than disassemble all of them and reload them all hotter...Wouldn't it just be easier for me to acquire a 1917 to shoot them in? :confused: :eek:

Being a bit of a Colt geek I'm inclined to find a Colt 1917, but there are a handful of (relatively) cheap Brazilian 1937s on Gunbroker. One or two that are the right level of non-original, that I wouldn't even feel bad sending it off to Cylinder and Slide to have the barrel chopped back to 3.5" and a gold bead or line front sight fitted. A set of Keith Brown Roper-style grips and some leather from Barranti? :eek:

Not that I ever indulge in such fantasies.

Half Moon
10-30-2020, 06:06 PM
Look everyone is entitled to a wrong opinion and it would appear that this one happens to be your's.

Because Ham Bowen knows different...

____

I have a bunch (~200) of 225-grain flatpoints I loaded up as a softball load for my 1911s. And they are a little too soft to run my guns reliably. Rather than disassemble all of them and reload them all hotter...Wouldn't it just be easier for me to acquire a 1917 to shoot them in? :confused: :eek:

Being a bit of a Colt geek I'm inclined to find a Colt 1917, but there are a handful of (relatively) cheap Brazilian 1937s on Gunbroker. One or two that are the right level of non-original, that I wouldn't even feel bad sending it off to Cylinder and Slide to have the barrel chopped back to 3.5" and a gold bead or line front sight fitted. A set of Keith Brown Roper-style grips and some leather from Barranti? :eek:

Not that I ever indulge in such fantasies.

If you haven't handled one of the Colts try one out before buying. I've owned multiple examples of both the Colt and S&W 1917's (well to be fair on the Colt side a fitz'd 1917 and a same era stock .45 Colt New Service... which should be close enough for comparison). To my taste the S&W takes it: better grip size and angle, better balance, and better DA trigger. The Colt grip tends to increase perceived recoil. The crescent moon front sight on the Colts is better than the Smith half moon sight from that period though.

Crazy Dane
10-30-2020, 08:50 PM

This is sexy...... Russian woman named Olga sexy. Keeps you warm and fed but is still able to fight off the bears one handed.