PDA

View Full Version : Got a 2nd Gen 5 Glock 34 this month!

Shipwreck
09-30-2020, 03:25 PM
I bought a Gen 5 Glock 34 with Ameriglo night sights earlier this month. I had originally planned to send it off to Taran Tactical for their combat master package. But, after I got it - I saw that I liked it as is. And, I don't really wanna change out the sights to fiber optics after it has night sights on it... Plus, I think I may occasionally carry it. And, a 3lb trigger (what they will do to it) is too light for carry.

But, I still wanted to do their combat master package...

So, I am keeping that 1st one "as is," and I tracked down a SECOND G34. Well, it arrived this week, and I was finally able to pick it up this morning. I put 50 rounds thru it to make sure all is well - now to ship it off to Taran Tactical :D (I wanted to make sure there were no issues before it gets customized)

I sold an APX and a P99 to cover the cost of the 2nd G34.

RJ
09-30-2020, 04:19 PM
I may or may not have been in a gun store in Venice FL today. I may or may not have handled a used Gen 4 G34, as well as a new Gen 5 G34. Man those things are loonnnng lol.

I’ve kind of promised myself a G34 if/when I make C class in USPSA.

I don’t currently plan to shoot a dot, but I assuming from looking at the Glock web site the Gen 5 G34 has all the Gen 5 upgrades?

gomerpyle
09-30-2020, 04:42 PM
I I don’t currently plan to shoot a dot, but I assuming from looking at the Glock web site the Gen 5 G34 has all the Gen 5 upgrades?

Yup. It comes with the extended slide release. Most have minus connectors, a few the dot connector.

Shipwreck
09-30-2020, 04:51 PM
I don’t currently plan to shoot a dot, but I assuming from looking at the Glock web site the Gen 5 G34 has all the Gen 5 upgrades?

Sho nuff. I like the Gen 5 changes. Great gun!

Shipwreck
09-30-2020, 06:54 PM
https://i.imgur.com/49X58Gf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gvdKERN.jpg

O4L
09-30-2020, 07:02 PM
After you get it back from TT are you going to name it "Precious"?

Shipwreck
09-30-2020, 09:07 PM
After you get it back from TT are you going to name it "Precious"?

C'mon man ;)

I just placed my order with Taran Tactical and paid. I just need to ship the gun off now

Poconnor
10-01-2020, 07:17 AM
I wish they made it without the slide cut out.

Guinnessman
10-01-2020, 07:57 AM
Buy Gen 5’s like you bought toilet paper!:cool:

RJ
10-01-2020, 08:29 AM

Do you mean a non-optic cut Gen 5 34? Ah; that’d be of interest to me. Seems like sight radius is less important shooting dots than irons, but I’m pretty clueless about dots.

Robinson
10-01-2020, 08:52 AM

If you mean the big slot cut out in the top of the slide to lighten it, the Gen 5 doesn't have that.

Poconnor
10-01-2020, 09:25 AM
I checked glocks website and they still picture the 34 with the lightening hole. I will have to find a gen 5 MOS.

rob_s
10-01-2020, 09:33 AM
If I were to walk into a gun shop and find a Gen 5 G34 MOS with Ameriglos I don't think I'd be able to resist...

Rex G
10-01-2020, 09:46 AM
The Gen5 G34 has gotten my attention, too. Enjoy!

LockedBreech
10-01-2020, 10:20 AM
Packing up my office getting ready for changing jobs yesterday I was checking out my Gen 5 G19 (FS / Ameriglos) and it just reminded me what a slick package the 5s are, I am tempted to get a 34 while I still have Blue Label. Or a 48 which as I understand is a Gen 5 in all but name.

Shipwreck
10-01-2020, 10:23 AM
If you mean the big slot cut out in the top of the slide to lighten it, the Gen 5 doesn't have that.

Yes. The new Gen 5 G34s do not have that big cutout on the slide anymore.

WobblyPossum
10-01-2020, 11:17 AM

I thought the Gen5 G34 no longer has the cutout at the front of the slide.

JTQ
10-01-2020, 03:53 PM
I checked glocks website and they still picture the 34 with the lightening hole. I will have to find a gen 5 MOS.

No lightening hole on the Gen 5 G34 https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g34-gen5-mos-fs

Poconnor
10-01-2020, 04:06 PM
You guys just cost me money

Shipwreck
10-01-2020, 07:57 PM
Well, I shipped the gun off to Taran Tactical today :)

Shipwreck
10-01-2020, 08:26 PM
You guys just cost me money

Sho nuff :)

O4L
10-02-2020, 12:03 AM
Well, I shipped the gun off to Taran Tactical today :)...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201002/58bbfc4e706137ba6c5817c4b9b37b45.gif

Shipwreck
10-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Now, everyday... I can say... "Is it 6 months yet?!" :)

FreaknAZ
10-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Heya Ship.... I've had a Gen5 17 and 34 on order since April through my local fun store.. I just picked up the 17 and will be going out tomorrow.
I've had 19s /17s, but have never fired a 34 of any generation. I'd like to live vicariously through you...lol.
what's your impressions of shooting the Gen5 34?

Shipwreck
10-05-2020, 07:56 AM
Heya Ship.... I've had a Gen5 17 and 34 on order since April through my local fun store.. I just picked up the 17 and will be going out tomorrow.
I've had 19s /17s, but have never fired a 34 of any generation. I'd like to live vicariously through you...lol.
what's your impressions of shooting the Gen5 34?

I am impressed with the slightly lower recoil and the longer sight radius. I can hold a tighter group with the 34. In fact, last week when I shot the 2nd Glock 34, I put several shots in the same hole.

I have two G34s and a G19. I have been considering buying a G17 as well, but I do not think I will. The 19 and 34 are great, IMHO. I like that longer slide.

I think I will sometimes carry my 1st G34, when it cools down more here in Texas. With the loaded mag in it, I think it balances pretty well too.

JTQ
10-05-2020, 08:56 AM
I think I will sometimes carry my 1st G34, when it cools down more here in Texas. With the loaded mag in it, I think it balances pretty well too.
Remember, Tom Givens used to carry a G35, and JM Custom Kydex has a Tom Givens Carry Package for them https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/TOM-GIVENS-PACKAGE-G19.html

Shipwreck
10-05-2020, 09:28 AM
Remember, Tom Givens used to carry a G35, and JM Custom Kydex has a Tom Givens Carry Package for them https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/TOM-GIVENS-PACKAGE-G19.html

Thanks for the info. I carry OWB do to SI joint problems. But, I already have a holster for my G19 that will also work on the G34.

HCM
10-05-2020, 11:08 AM
I may or may not have been in a gun store in Venice FL today. I may or may not have handled a used Gen 4 G34, as well as a new Gen 5 G34. Man those things are loonnnng lol.

I’ve kind of promised myself a G34 if/when I make C class in USPSA.

Yup. It comes with the extended slide release. Most have minus connectors, a few the dot connector.

The 34.5s and 26.5 were the first two models to get the breech face cut, no front strap cut etc. minus connectors are standard on commercial G34s, blue label G34s normally come with the standard dot connector and standard slide release instead of the extended. Personally I hate the factory extended release. If you shoot with a high grip it can cause the slide to lock back in the middle of a string of fire.

I would suggest future proofing your self and getting an MOS.

Shipwreck
10-05-2020, 11:22 AM
The 34.5s and 26.5 were the first two models to get the breech face cut, no front strap cut etc. minus connectors are standard on commercial G34s, blue label G34s normally come with the standard dot connector and standard slide release instead of the extended. Personally I hate the factory extended release. If you shoot with a high grip it can cause the slide to lock back in the middle of a string of fire.

I would suggest future proofing your self and getting an MOS.

Well, in my case - one of my G34 Gen 5s was a blue label, and one was not. They both have the same extended slide release on them.

ffhounddog
10-05-2020, 11:25 AM
I am wondering if I should sell my Beretta Vertec to fund a Gen5 Glock 34. I found one but I was hoping to buy a Glock 45MOS...

Shipwreck
10-05-2020, 11:31 AM
I am wondering if I should sell my Beretta Vertec to fund a Gen5 Glock 34. I found one but I was hoping to buy a Glock 45MOS...

That's up to you. I have owned like 28 Beretta 92 variants over 25+ years. At one time, I've had as many as 9 at one time. Now, I just have 1 - an M9A3.

I love the platform, but have had a few issues here and there. And, while I only have 1 right now (an original M9A3 - from the very first batch made in MD, before they moved to TN), I don't plan on selling it.

But, I have sold many guns over the years, to buy something else I wanted... Heck, I just sold a Beretta APX and a P99 to cover the cost of a 2nd Glock 34 - the one I just sent off to Taran Tactical.

If ya really want the Glock, and that is the only way you can get it... Go for it... If ya want a Beretta later, you can always work that out in the future...

Over the years - I've bought the same gun before, many times over... It's not like you cannot get a Beretta again - some day in the future...

HCM
10-05-2020, 12:17 PM

What is your purpose for the gun ?

What do you carry at work / on deployment ? Langdon can put a dot on Vertec slides.

If you go glock, a 45 MOS with a Comp would be 34 length.

Duelist
10-05-2020, 12:28 PM

I’m more inclined to the 45MOS, personally.

ffhounddog
10-05-2020, 12:33 PM
I have a standard G19X. I know where a blue label G45 is but they have not said if it is MOS or not.

Shipwreck
10-05-2020, 12:53 PM
What is your purpose for the gun ?

What do you carry at work / on deployment ? Langdon can put a dot on Vertec slides.

If you go glock, a 45 MOS with a Comp would be 34 length.

I did the comp things back in the 1990s. Always had issues with reliability. I wouldn't recommend it for a self defense gun on a Glock

Whirlwind06
10-05-2020, 12:57 PM
I have a standard G19X. I know where a blue label G45 is but they have not said if it is MOS or not.

I couldn't find a G45 MOS over the summer, came across a barely used G45 at the local shop, like someone bought and shot it once then sold it barely used.
I sent the slide off to to Lone Wolff and had it cut for a RMR.

I have a G34.5 MOS as well, looking through the dot can't say they are much different. Shooting irons I think I would notice.

HCM
10-05-2020, 01:04 PM
I did the comp things back in the 1990s. Always had issues with reliability. I wouldn't recommend it for a self defense gun on a Glock

Suffice to say, it's not the 90's anymore.

Shipwreck
10-05-2020, 01:13 PM
Suffice to say, it's not the 90's anymore.

True, but it is still the same... Longer, ported barrel with something attached to the end of it to match up against the slide... How is that any different now than it was back in the 1990s? Nothing magic has happened to the concept between then and now...

Also, I just read a post (I forget what forum - I am on them all) over the weekend... Dealt with that very issue... Someone who was very familiar with comps on Glocks talked about how you needed to use a certain weight round, and it needed to hit a certain velocity, otherwise the Glock with the comp would not be 100% reliable.

On a self defense gun, an aftermarket comp is a bad idea. A range gun - fine... Knock yourself out....

A factory ported gun... Fine... Although, I never thought porting was a good idea on a self defense gun. But, that's all opinion...

Anyway, you don't get the sight radius on a G45 with a comp vs a Glock 34. And, I wouldn't use an aftermarket comp on anything besides a range toy if I were you.

GearFondler
10-05-2020, 02:03 PM
True, but it is still the same... Longer, ported barrel with something attached to the end of it to match up against the slide... How is that any different now than it was back in the 1990s? Nothing magic has happened to the concept between then and now...

Also, I just read a post (I forget what forum - I am on them all) over the weekend... Dealt with that very issue... Someone who was very familiar with comps on Glocks talked about how you needed to use a certain weight round, and it needed to hit a certain velocity, otherwise the Glock with the comp would not be 100% reliable.

On a self defense gun, an aftermarket comp is a bad idea. A range gun - fine... Knock yourself out....

A factory ported gun... Fine... Although, I never thought porting was a good idea on a self defense gun. But, that's all opinion...

Anyway, you don't get the sight radius on a G45 with a comp vs a Glock 34. And, I wouldn't use an aftermarket comp on anything besides a range toy if I were you.I don't personally understand this reliability argument against carry comps. Many of us have built various carry comps that work with virtually any round used in it.
But, just for the sake of argument, let's assume you have comped a pistol and find out it only works reliably with hotter loads. In 9mm's the issue, if it exists, is almost always with standard or low power 115gr rounds. So what? Are you planning to load 115gr FMJ as your carry round?
If your comped gun proves to be 100% with duty rounds I fail to see the issue with carrying it for self defense. As far as practice goes, you just have to man up and pay a bit more for 124 or 147gr FMJ.
JMHO... YMMV.

Shipwreck
10-05-2020, 02:14 PM
I don't personally understand this reliability argument against carry comps. Many of us have built various carry comps that work with virtually any round used in it.
But, just for the sake of argument, let's assume you have comped a pistol and find out it only works reliably with hotter loads. In 9mm's the issue, if it exists, is almost always with standard or low power 115gr rounds. So what? Are you planning to load 115gr FMJ as your carry round?
If your comped gun proves to be 100% with duty rounds I fail to see the issue with carrying it for self defense. As far as practice goes, you just have to man up and pay a bit more for 124 or 148gr FMJ.
JMHO... YMMV.

I haven't messed with a comp since the 1990s. But I did not find them reliable.

I've had a factory 1911 that had a carry comp, and I loved it. But after my experience with an aftermarket Glock comps, I personally would never go down that road again for a gun I use in self defense. That's all I am saying based on my experience. And, I have have seen others on forums who state the same thing...

And, I assume you meant 147gr FMJ...

GearFondler
10-05-2020, 02:19 PM
I haven't messed with a comp since the 1990s. But I did not find them reliable.

I've had a factory 1911 that had a carry comp, and I loved it. But after my experience with an aftermarket Glock comps, I personally would never go down that road again for a gun I use in self defense. That's all I am saying based on my experience. And, I have have seen others on forums who state the same thing...

And, I assume you meant 147gr FMJ...I get that... Any gun experience that involves multiple, in your case, reliability issues would make me leary. And I'd be hard pressed to give it another go.
And yeah, fat thumb on a phone screen equals 148gr... The extra grain drives the Comp better. [emoji6]

HCM
10-05-2020, 05:44 PM

Anyway, you don't get the sight radius on a G45 with a comp vs a Glock 34. And, I wouldn't use an aftermarket comp on anything besides a range toy if I were you.

Porting and comps are not the same thing, though they perform similar functions. In fact many of the 'comps" popular on service type guns today are technically muzzle breaks rather than comps.

Getting a comped gun based on an otherwise reliable modern service pistol to run is a simple matter of either running sufficiently powerful ammo or selecting an appropriate weight recoil spring. It's not complicated. All opinions are not equal. You experiences to the contrary, people who shoot much more than yourself have high round counts on duty guns with comps.

Comparing a Glock or even a Beretta 92 with a comp to a 1911 running a shortened recoil system that is unlikely to be reliable even without a Comp, is not a valid comparison.

The effectiveness of comped vs non comped guns is quantifiable via use of a timer, not an opinion.

Regarding sight radius - the poster specifically mentioned a 45 MOS - with an optic sight radius is irrelevant. Pistol optics have also come a long way since the 1990s. Comps compliment optics equipped pistols by helping keep the dot in the window and allowing faster rates of aimed fire. All other things being equal, a shooter with a comped, RDS G45 will be able to place accurate fire faster that an RDS only equipped G34.

Shipwreck
10-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Porting and comps are not the same thing, though they perform similar functions. In fact many of the 'comps" popular on service type guns today are technically muzzle breaks rather than comps.

Getting a comped gun based on an otherwise reliable modern service pistol to run is a simple matter of either running sufficiently powerful ammo or selecting an appropriate weight recoil spring. It's not complicated. All opinions are not equal. You experiences to the contrary, people who shoot much more than yourself have high round counts on duty guns with comps.

Comparing a Glock or even a Beretta 92 with a comp to a 1911 running a shortened recoil system that is unlikely to be reliable even without a Comp, is not a valid comparison.

The effectiveness of comped vs non comped guns is quantifiable via use of a timer, not an opinion.

Regarding sight radius - the poster specifically mentioned a 45 MOS - with an optic sight radius is irrelevant. Pistol optics have also come a long way since the 1990s. Comps compliment optics equipped pistols by helping keep the dot in the window and allowing faster rates of aimed fire. All other things being equal, a shooter with a comped, RDS G45 will be able to place accurate fire faster that an RDS only equipped G34.

I am well aware of the difference between a comp and porting. And, the guy who started this talked about wanting a Glock 34. HE originally said he thought of getting a Glock 34. Someone ELSE then stated he should get a Glock 45 MOS.

Yes, I am also well aware that the optic negates the need for sight radius.

But...the comment was stated by someone else that if he got a G45 and put a comp on it, it would be the length of the G34. That is what I was still addressing. The guy originally said he wanted a G34. A G45 with a comp is NOT the same thing, and I was pointing out WHY it is not the same. One - you do NOT have the same sight radius. A valid point. And two, I have found non factory comps to be somewhat non reliable - or totally non reliable in the one I had on a Glock 17. I stand by my comment that I would not use an aftermarket comp on a self defense gun. It would always be a range toy.

Then, I commented that I actually had a FACTORY comp on a 1911. That thing ran all day long. It was also made that way - at the factory. No problems. It was not a drop in part that I bought separately. I know there is a difference between a Glock and a 1911. I was making the comparison in that my good experience with a comp was set up by the factory. And, my bad experience with the comp was an aftermarket one.

Finally, I am well aware that porting and comps are different. I brought in the fact that the older, ported Glocks were set up that way from the factory. So, you would not have the potential reliability issues an aftermarket comp would possibly have. Glock doesn't make those C models anymore. And, I never personally had an interest in having one. That comped 1911 I used to have was usually the loudest gun at the indoor range. It sounded much louder than the same gun without a port would sound. I knew I would never want to shoot that gun off in the house without hearing protection on. So, I typically did not used it as a home defense gun for that reason.

RJ
11-16-2020, 06:32 PM
I bought a Gen 5 G34 last week and finally got to shoot it today.

I installed a black steel rear OEM at 0.256" height, and a Dawson FO at 0.180" high x 0.115" wide. Shooting at 7 yards I was getting a (good for me) decent group of 3" or so. This was with AE124.

I was trying various ammo, so I shot a mag of Federal HST 147 that I had in my "chambered" box. I shot with the same PoA at 25 yards, but seemed to be hitting low. The last five I raised my PoA a bit. Ended up with a not bad for me 8 on paper for a 68-0X.

I was a little puzzled, because I was thinking the HST would shoot a bit higher, actually. So am I remembering this right? It's somewhat academic but I was wondering. I plan to shoot 124, mainly, for USPSA in this gun, but might end up getting some 147 in case that's what's available.

Thoughts?

A-Train
11-16-2020, 08:53 PM
I bought a Gen 5 Glock 34 with Ameriglo night sights earlier this month. I had originally planned to send it off to Taran Tactical for their combat master package. But, after I got it - I saw that I liked it as is. And, I don't really wanna change out the sights to fiber optics after it has night sights on it... Plus, I think I may occasionally carry it. And, a 3lb trigger (what they will do to it) is too light for carry.

But, I still wanted to do their combat master package...

So, I am keeping that 1st one "as is," and I tracked down a SECOND G34. Well, it arrived this week, and I was finally able to pick it up this morning. I put 50 rounds thru it to make sure all is well - now to ship it off to Taran Tactical :D (I wanted to make sure there were no issues before it gets customized)

I sold an APX and a P99 to cover the cost of the 2nd G34.

Hey Shipwreck

Me too! I just got two myself. LOL!

Great minds think alike! Congrats!

Caballoflaco
11-16-2020, 09:41 PM
I bought a Gen 5 G34 last week and finally got to shoot it today.

I installed a black steel rear OEM at 0.256" height, and a Dawson FO at 0.180" high x 0.115" wide. Shooting at 7 yards I was getting a (good for me) decent group of 3" or so. This was with AE124.

I was trying various ammo, so I shot a mag of Federal HST 147 that I had in my "chambered" box. I shot with the same PoA at 25 yards, but seemed to be hitting low. The last five I raised my PoA a bit. Ended up with a not bad for me 8 on paper for a 68-0X.

I was a little puzzled, because I was thinking the HST would shoot a bit higher, actually. So am I remembering this right? It's somewhat academic but I was wondering. I plan to shoot 124, mainly, for USPSA in this gun, but might end up getting some 147 in case that's what's available.

Thoughts?

Question for you. When you’re shooting at 25yds are you using a hard focus on the top edge of the front sight or are you trying to “shoot the dot”?

RJ
11-16-2020, 10:33 PM
Question for you. When you’re shooting at 25yds are you using a hard focus on the top edge of the front sight or are you trying to “shoot the dot”?

Same front sight focus at all distances: shoot the dot. I wore my single focus glasses today, which focus exactly at my front sight distance. The targets are always blurry when I wear them at the range.

Why?

feudist
11-16-2020, 11:50 PM
Hey Shipwreck

Me too! I just got two myself. LOL!

Great minds think alike! Congrats!

Dual wield FTW!

Caballoflaco
11-17-2020, 09:23 AM
Same front sight focus at all distances: shoot the dot. I wore my single focus glasses today, which focus exactly at my front sight distance. The targets are always blurry when I wear them at the range.

Why?

I was just thinking that you might want to try a top edge of the sight focus with the sight against the bottom of the black circle, ie the traditional bullseye hold. Don’t worry about point of impact, just group size. At least for me it’s a lot easier to read my sights like that than covering the whole target with the sight, you just have more reference points to make sure alignment is good. You’ve probably seen this thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?26213-Spot-Shooting

I’m not suggesting you shoot like that all the time, but it might help you tighten up those groups some and good reps should transfer back over to your preferred sight picture.

RJ
11-17-2020, 12:55 PM
I was just thinking that you might want to try a top edge of the sight focus with the sight against the bottom of the black circle, ie the traditional bullseye hold. Don’t worry about point of impact, just group size. At least for me it’s a lot easier to read my sights like that than covering the whole target with the sight, you just have more reference points to make sure alignment is good. You’ve probably seen this thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?26213-Spot-Shooting

I’m not suggesting you shoot like that all the time, but it might help you tighten up those groups some and good reps should transfer back over to your preferred sight picture.

Ahhhh...gotcha. That hadn't occurred to me. I can/will give that a try next chance I get.