PDA

View Full Version : Trump picks Amy Coney Barrett.

5pins
09-27-2020, 01:15 PM
I thought it would be better to start a thread about her then posting on the RBG thread.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020/09/27/Senate-to-begin-hearings-on-Amy-Coney-Barrett-confirmation-Oct-12/9351601220606/

Senate to begin hearings on Amy Coney Barrett confirmation Oct. 12

The Senate judiciary committee is set to begin four days of hearings to consider Barrett's nomination beginning on Oct. 12 as Trump has called for the Republican-held Senate to swiftly complete the confirmation process, which would swing the court to a 6-3 conservative majority, ahead of November's elections.

blues
09-27-2020, 01:47 PM
I wish they would start tomorrow. Let's get 'er done...sooner the better.

Totem Polar
09-27-2020, 02:13 PM
I agree. Rip the band aid off, and move on. She’s a solid choice.

5pins
09-27-2020, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure why wait two weeks.

Casual Friday
09-27-2020, 02:38 PM
People are melting down over this because adopting black children is now, wait for it, a sign of racism.

blues
09-27-2020, 03:03 PM
People are melting down over this because adopting black children is now, wait for it, a sign of racism.

I guess she's going to have to own it...oh wait...

Greg
09-27-2020, 06:33 PM

We really need to start mocking these kinds of idiots. Loudly and often.

JohnO
09-27-2020, 06:41 PM

Wasn't that the fashionable thing to do in Hollywierd not too long ago? Virtue Signaling of the highest order. A demonstration of supreme wokeness.

JohnO
09-27-2020, 06:45 PM
I wish they would start tomorrow. Let's get 'er done...sooner the better.

Yes please! Lets have a vote ASAP. There is nothing to change, no one to persuade all we can expect is more time for the whining Libs to make a stink.

DDTSGM
09-27-2020, 08:52 PM
Wasn't that the fashionable thing to do in Hollywierd not too long ago? Virtue Signaling of the highest order. A demonstration of supreme wokeness.

Adopting a child that matches the race/pigment of Caucasian parents is not necessarily possible for folks of average wealth. As a result, Hollyweird aside, folks go with what is available (for lack of a better term). Reasons for adopting are varied, in Barrett's case, I'd imagine it was wanting to make a difference in the lives of their kids.

My wife couldn't have children. Even though I already had sons who were in their later teens, I thought she'd be a great mom, so we set out to adopt. We made several futile efforts working on our own behalf, before deciding to retain THE adoption attorney in our area. One day while talking to his secretary I asked 'so how many adoptions do you guys do a year that aren't already arranged by the couple and the birth mom?' 'Four or five.' 'How many folks would you say have retained X to find a baby?' 'Thirty to forty.' I was 40, my wife was 32 and I can do math. We needed to do something else.

Our answer was foster-care. A lot of folks adopt kids they've had in foster-care. Many of those kids are different ethnicities than their foster-parents.

BehindBlueI's
09-27-2020, 10:33 PM
Our answer was foster-care.

As a complete aside, that's awesome and thanks for doing it.

Doug
09-27-2020, 10:55 PM
I am not a that much of a Star Wars person, but thought this reflects the time of 2A supporters:

”This is our most desperate hour. Help us, *Amy Coney Barrett*. You're our only hope.”

TheNewbie
09-28-2020, 02:21 AM

I made a prediction a while back. That white guys like me who married a brown woman would be called racist for doing so.

Looks like something similar to that is coming true.

AKDoug
09-28-2020, 10:59 AM
Terry Crews was right... this is turning into a black supremacy movement. Those wishing for black "purity" are no less racist than those seeking white "purity". Why can't people just be happy that a kid gets to live in a good home.

Don't even get me started on the Indian Child Welfare Act. Friends of my son's have fostered several Alaskan Native kids only to have them removed and placed back in the environment they were saved from. Back into conditions that would disqualify any non-Native family from having foster children, including those with felony DV convictions living in the same household.

JohnO
09-28-2020, 02:18 PM
Adopting a child that matches the race/pigment of Caucasian parents is not necessarily possible for folks of average wealth. As a result, Hollyweird aside, folks go with what is available (for lack of a better term). Reasons for adopting are varied, in Barrett's case, I'd imagine it was wanting to make a difference in the lives of their kids.

My wife couldn't have children. Even though I already had sons who were in their later teens, I thought she'd be a great mom, so we set out to adopt. We made several futile efforts working on our own behalf, before deciding to retain THE adoption attorney in our area. One day while talking to his secretary I asked 'so how many adoptions do you guys do a year that aren't already arranged by the couple and the birth mom?' 'Four or five.' 'How many folks would you say have retained X to find a baby?' 'Thirty to forty.' I was 40, my wife was 32 and I can do math. We needed to do something else.

Our answer was foster-care. A lot of folks adopt kids they've had in foster-care. Many of those kids are different ethnicities than their foster-parents.

I commend you for making a difference in children's lives.

Just to be clear I was specifically speaking of people in entertainment industry who appeared to be purposely adopting children of color for fashionable reasons.

Casual Friday
09-28-2020, 03:15 PM
It has come to my attention, that in honor of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, or RBG, that the left does not want Amy Coney Barrett to be referred to as ACB.

Gentleman, ladies, you know what to do.

Guerrero
09-28-2020, 03:17 PM
It has come to my attention, that in honor of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, or RBG, that the left does not want Amy Coney Barrett to be referred to as ACB.

Gentleman, ladies, you know what to do.

ACB. Easy as 1-2-3.

okie john
09-28-2020, 03:44 PM

It seems that people are self-shitting at epic rates over this, maybe because proceeds to go to the National Republican Senatorial Committee, which raises funds to help elect Republicans to the Senate.

Which is nice.

Okie John

Hambo
09-28-2020, 03:52 PM
I wish they would start tomorrow.

I could wait until Wednesday. I just wish they'd quit interviewing morons on the street and spewing poll data: 60% of Americans thing the next POTUS should pick. That's not how it works, folks, and it doesn't matter what you think. If RBG had given a damn about being replaced while a Dem was in, she should have retired in 2014. Now you get what you get.

Drive on with hearings and let's vote.

JRB
09-28-2020, 03:55 PM

It seems that people are self-shitting at epic rates over this, maybe because proceeds to go to the National Republican Senatorial Committee, which raises funds to help elect Republicans to the Senate.

Which is nice.

Okie John

What's really hilarious is how many of them think the 'Notorious' part of that was somehow organic on their collective part, and not a simple copycat of the mid 90's rapper 'Notorious B.I.G.' aka 'Biggie Smalls'.

Crow Hunter
09-28-2020, 04:03 PM

I was involved tangentially in college with a girl I was dating who was a foster child so I got to see some of it.

I just wanted to log on to say thank you and you are a better man me.

And anyone that says anything about who is adopting who, that doesn't personally have a house full of children that aren't biologically their own that they are taking care of, should put their heads back in their asses where they belong so the rest of us don't have to hear their stupidity regarding the race of said parents/children.

People raised in "normal" households have NO IDEA what these kids go through and what they would do just to have parents that care for them, period.

blues
09-28-2020, 04:27 PM
Different time in America...but my father, his younger sister, and two younger (twin) brothers were all in foster homes for years, separately...until my father graduated high school, went to work and reunited them all together with their mother.

While I've heard some foster care stories that are not for the fainthearted, there are also the stories that were more heroic.

All I know is that when I looked at the orphanage in East Harlem my father was in before being placed, I was in tears thinking of what might have become of him if some family hadn't taken him in.

It was no picnic either way...but as I say, a different time. I have nothing but respect for what Dan and his wife have done to make the lives of unfortunate children exponentially better.

LittleLebowski
09-28-2020, 04:32 PM
The effort to smear her using the adoption of those two Haitian kids is repugnant.

RoyGBiv
09-28-2020, 05:01 PM
The effort to smear her using the adoption of those two Haitian kids is repugnant normal behavior for the Democrat Party.

FIFY

Yes... It's repugnant. And likely to backfire.

okie john
09-28-2020, 05:09 PM
And likely to backfire.

Especially among the particularly woke white folks who have adopted children of color.

Okie John

ccmdfd
09-28-2020, 05:19 PM
Especially among the particularly woke white folks who have adopted children of color.

Okie John

Which makes me wonder if that's why the vote will be in two weeks and not tomorrow. Get it as close to the election as possible given our short attention span.

okie john
09-28-2020, 05:22 PM
Which makes me wonder if that's why the vote will be in two weeks and not tomorrow. Get it as close to the election as possible given our short attention span.

Predicting and/or understanding that level of political strategy is straight-up witchcraft.

Okie John

scw2
09-28-2020, 06:32 PM
I thought the argument went that if a gay couple wanted to adopt a child, the only thing that mattered was that they would be placed in a loving home. Is that still correct-think, or are we are toeing a new party line now?

OlongJohnson
09-28-2020, 06:41 PM

Which is nice.

Okie John

I could do without the crown. It's kinda like the opposite of what all this is about.

Darth_Uno
09-28-2020, 07:20 PM
I could do without the crown. It's kinda like the opposite of what all this is about.

You're probably not cool enough to be aware that Ruth Bader-Ginsburg was called Notorious RBG, semi-jokingly after rapper Notorious BIG. This is a play on and continuation of that.

OlongJohnson
09-28-2020, 07:46 PM
Got it. I was well aware of the Biggie reference embedded in that. I just wasn't aware of the pic with the crown.

So, yeah. I'm not cool.

Darth_Uno
09-28-2020, 07:59 PM
We know you're not, but we like ya anyway. You make it up by being the Cool Old Guy.

davisj
09-28-2020, 08:03 PM
ACB. Easy as 1-2-3.

Technically, easy as 1-3-2, but...yeah, ACB. 😜

JTQ
09-28-2020, 08:12 PM
On one of today's radio talk shows, a caller suggested the bad connotation of "Notorious" be swapped for "Glorious" as in "Glorious ACB".

After she gets confirmed it could be "Victorious ACB".

Kanye Wyoming
09-28-2020, 08:29 PM
I liked her up until now but this just raises too many questions.

BobLoblaw
09-28-2020, 08:32 PM
I thought the argument went that if a gay couple wanted to adopt a child, the only thing that mattered was that they would be placed in a loving home. Is that still correct-think, or are we are toeing a new party line now?

They’re doing well if they’re not losing their shit when seeing anything they disagree with. You can’t expect much.

ETA: can’t fix this font

DDTSGM
09-28-2020, 11:40 PM
I commend you for making a difference in children's lives.

Just to be clear I was specifically speaking of people in entertainment industry who appeared to be purposely adopting children of color for fashionable reasons.

Thank you, but as I pointed out,we wanted children. I honestly don't know how I feel about Jolie and Madonna. What little I do know about international adoptions is that it generally isn't an inexpensive proposition.

DDTSGM
09-28-2020, 11:52 PM

Many folks are against that, including many of the religious organizations that run foster-care placements in the various states that have privatized the process.

I think my sister and her partner would have made excellent parents, in fact they were who our daughters would go to if my wife and I passed before they were of legal age.

I really don't think gay cooties are catching, and some research has borne that out.

Still, some of the more militant/flamboyant gays, and heterosexuals for that matter, probably wouldn't make good foster parents.

feudist
09-29-2020, 01:49 AM
I liked her up until now but this just raises too many questions.

An anti Semite cannibal.

Is there nothing the Orange Man Bad won't stoop to?

Crow Hunter
09-29-2020, 07:42 AM
Many folks are against that, including many of the religious organizations that run foster-care placements in the various states that have privatized the process.

I think my sister and her partner would have made excellent parents, in fact they were who our daughters would go to if my wife and I passed before they were of legal age.

I really don't think gay cooties are catching, and some research has borne that out.

Still, some of the more militant/flamboyant gays, and heterosexuals for that matter, probably wouldn't make good foster parents.

I have gay relatives that did foster children and have since adopted the little boy that they fostered. They are excellent parents and the little boy is very happy despite having 2 dads in a "previously Confederate state".

Especially if you compare him to his entitled cousin whose uber-Christian hetero parents have raised to be a spoiled brat who will pitch an absolute hissy fit if you put cheese on his burger before you warm it up because the cheese would melt. The burger that his parents brought to Christmas dinner because he refuses to eat what everyone else is eating and will have a melt down if he is forced to eat something "new".

This is in contrast to his adopted cousin who asked with glowing eyes of his parents "I can have any of this?" when he saw the traditional Christmas spread laid out before him. He then, without prompting went to each person who had made something that he ate and thanked them for the delicious food while his cousin retreated to the living room to play games on his I-pad immediately after finishing his backup burger with specially laid on cheese. The one with the melted cheese was thrown out....:mad:

OlongJohnson
09-29-2020, 08:23 AM
The kid is doomed, being raised in an environment of toxic masculinity like that.

Guerrero
09-29-2020, 08:32 AM
ACB Racing To Get Dinner Ready For Husband So He'll Let Her Out To Overturn Roe V. Wade (https://babylonbee.com/news/acb-racing-to-get-dinner-ready-for-husband-so-hell-let-her-out-to-overturn-roe-v-wade)

https://babylonbee.com/img/articles/article-7090-2.jpg

Guerrero
09-29-2020, 08:33 AM
'What Is Thy Bidding, My Master?' Asks Amy Coney Barrett To Cloaked, Holographic Pope (https://babylonbee.com/news/what-is-thy-bidding-my-master-asks-amy-coney-barrett-to-cloaked-holographic-pope)

https://babylonbee.com/img/articles/article-7092-2.jpg

Wondering Beard
09-29-2020, 09:51 AM
I have gay relatives that did foster children and have since adopted the little boy that they fostered. They are excellent parents and the little boy is very happy despite having 2 dads in a "previously Confederate state".

Especially if you compare him to his entitled cousin whose uber-Christian hetero parents have raised to be a spoiled brat who will pitch an absolute hissy fit if you put cheese on his burger before you warm it up because the cheese would melt. The burger that his parents brought to Christmas dinner because he refuses to eat what everyone else is eating and will have a melt down if he is forced to eat something "new".

This is in contrast to his adopted cousin who asked with glowing eyes of his parents "I can have any of this?" when he saw the traditional Christmas spread laid out before him. He then, without prompting went to each person who had made something that he ate and thanked them for the delicious food while his cousin retreated to the living room to play games on his I-pad immediately after finishing his backup burger with specially laid on cheese. The one with the melted cheese was thrown out....:mad:

It's almost as if individual character matters more than any other characteristic.

This shouldn't get around, it might offend people.

blues
09-29-2020, 09:54 AM
It's almost as if individual character matters more than any other characteristic.

This shouldn't get around, it might offend people.

Nobody said we'd be tested on character. I demand a retraction!

the Schwartz
09-29-2020, 10:13 AM

Why? Did you not have enough time to study?

🤣😂🤣😂

blues
09-29-2020, 10:14 AM
Why? Did you not have enough time to study?

🤣😂🤣😂

I didn't have long enough to develop any.

Wondering Beard
09-29-2020, 10:36 AM

Is that out of character?

5pins
10-12-2020, 11:43 AM
So far the dems have not turned it into a circus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnnsT6xlAx4

paherne
10-12-2020, 11:55 AM
'What Is Thy Bidding, My Master?' Asks Amy Coney Barrett To Cloaked, Holographic Pope (https://babylonbee.com/news/what-is-thy-bidding-my-master-asks-amy-coney-barrett-to-cloaked-holographic-pope)

https://babylonbee.com/img/articles/article-7092-2.jpg

This might be the dumbest thing I've seen in years.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-12-2020, 12:04 PM
The hearings are just virtue signaling opportunities for pompous fools to blather their political positions for the the home crowd. Whether you agree with the position or not, what a bunch of blowhards. Ask a damn question of substance as compared to this verbal vomit.

RoyGBiv
10-12-2020, 12:09 PM
So far the dems have not turned it into a circus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnnsT6xlAx4

Harris is on now. Give her her chance.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Harris is making a speech about the Affordable Care Act. Barrett cannot say how she would vote on a case - so it is a speech. A GOP female senator (didn't catch the name) was going off on religion and faith. So what.

Just speeches, no legal content or philosophy.

She is wearing a mask, so take that OrangeManBad. Mitch said the WH was a plague hotspot.

5pins
10-12-2020, 12:22 PM
IIRC at this point, the members get to make an opening statement. Last time the dems used this time to run for president and attack Kavanaugh.

I don't think they will act that way this time. They think they are far enough in the polls not to risk it.

LittleLebowski
10-12-2020, 12:24 PM
Is she racist yet? Does she like beer?

ccmdfd
10-12-2020, 01:42 PM

Does she hang out with Squi?

JAD
10-12-2020, 01:46 PM

I'm pretty sure she drinks wine, but only by accident.

Guerrero
10-12-2020, 01:48 PM

I'm pretty sure it's intentional, but it like *every week.*

Wondering Beard
10-12-2020, 04:08 PM
Transcript of her opening statement (https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/amy-coney-barrett-confirmation-hearing-opening-statement-transcript)

Of note, to me:

"The policy decisions and value judgments of government must be made by the political branches, elected by and accountable to the people. The public should not expect courts to do so and courts should not try. "

"I try to remain mindful that while my court decides thousands of cases a year, each case is the most important one to the litigants involved. After all, cases are not like statutes, which are often named for their authors, cases are named for the parties who stand to gain or lose in the real world often through their liberty or livelihood.
When I write an opinion resolving a case, I read every word from the perspective of the losing party. I ask myself how I would view the decision if one of my children was the party that I was ruling against. Even though I would not like the result, would I understand that the decision was fairly reasoned and grounded in law. That is the standard that I set for myself in every case. And it is the standard that I will follow so long as I am a judge on any court. "

GyroF-16
10-12-2020, 04:13 PM
Love it. Someone who understands the Constitutional role of the courts.

It’s just sad that this makes her different from many other judges.

Transcript of her opening statement (https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/amy-coney-barrett-confirmation-hearing-opening-statement-transcript)

Of note, to me:

"The policy decisions and value judgments of government must be made by the political branches, elected by and accountable to the people. The public should not expect courts to do so and courts should not try. "

"I try to remain mindful that while my court decides thousands of cases a year, each case is the most important one to the litigants involved. After all, cases are not like statutes, which are often named for their authors, cases are named for the parties who stand to gain or lose in the real world often through their liberty or livelihood.
When I write an opinion resolving a case, I read every word from the perspective of the losing party. I ask myself how I would view the decision if one of my children was the party that I was ruling against. Even though I would not like the result, would I understand that the decision was fairly reasoned and grounded in law. That is the standard that I set for myself in every case. And it is the standard that I will follow so long as I am a judge on any court. "

revchuck38
10-12-2020, 05:43 PM

Where else but P-F would you find inside Catholic jokes? :)

blues
10-12-2020, 05:45 PM

You don't even have to be a site supporter (so to speak) to get those. ;)

JAD
10-12-2020, 05:49 PM
Inside Thomist ​jokes, no less.

Wondering Beard
10-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Inside Thomist ​jokes, no less.

It's P-F's bread and butter

feudist
10-12-2020, 06:00 PM
It's P-F's bread and butter

Wine and wafer perhaps?

Wondering Beard
10-12-2020, 06:05 PM
Wine and wafer perhaps?

If weekly. I prefer my daily bread and butter. ;-)

Inkwell 41
10-12-2020, 06:19 PM
I listened to some of the opening statements by the politicians. It as an hour in and no one had asked her a question, so I went on to more productive things. I will say this, some politicians have forgotten which end the excrement is supposed to come out of.

AKDoug
10-12-2020, 06:45 PM
Is she racist yet? Does she like beer? More important. Does she own a chainsaw?

5pins
10-12-2020, 06:49 PM
Wanted, Supreme Court nominee with chainsaw. Send pictures of chainsaw.

RoyGBiv
10-13-2020, 10:20 AM
Interesting discussion going on live with Durbin re Felony vs Violent Felony taking away gun rights.

ETA: Referencing this case..
https://reason.com/2020/09/23/amy-coney-barrett-thinks-the-second-amendment-prohibits-blanket-bans-on-gun-possession-by-people-with-felony-records/

Borderland
10-13-2020, 10:32 AM

Not nearly as much as Brett does. ;)

Son, never trust a man who doesn’t drink because he’s probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time.

― James Crumley

5pins
10-13-2020, 10:33 AM
Interesting discussion going on live with Durbin re Felony vs Violent Felony taking away gun rights.

ETA: Referencing this case..
https://reason.com/2020/09/23/amy-coney-barrett-thinks-the-second-amendment-prohibits-blanket-bans-on-gun-possession-by-people-with-felony-records/

I think she is handling Durbin very well.

RJ
10-13-2020, 04:18 PM
This lady is killing it.

Equipped with a water bottle, a Starbucks coffee and a blank Senate note Pad.

I love it.

blues
10-13-2020, 04:27 PM
This lady is killing it.

I love it.

She's too cool for school. I'd love to see her stand up and bitch slap some of these dopes.

Casual Friday
10-13-2020, 05:04 PM
Cory Booker is a whiny cunt.

RoyGBiv
10-13-2020, 05:58 PM
And Senator Harris is giving another speech.

I wonder who wrote it.

I was particularly impressed by the Senator from Idaho helping ACB unravel all of bullshit that Senator Booker shoveled out.

RoyGBiv
10-13-2020, 06:03 PM
What kind of stupid do the Democrats think we are trying to link covid, A VIRUS, to a pre-existing health care condition?

A stop fake crying!

Putin and Xi are drooling over the prospects of a POTUS Harris.

blues
10-13-2020, 06:04 PM
https://images.wsj.net/im-243920?width=620&size=1.5

"You wanna piece o' me? Bring it, bitch!"

Joe in PNG
10-13-2020, 06:11 PM
An honest question for the people who don't like Trump- is Harris looking Presidential to you in this situation?

RJ
10-13-2020, 06:18 PM
An honest question for the people who don't like Trump- is Harris looking Presidential to you in this situation?

She's a piece of work alright.

I think I will call her the "Smirker in chief", based on her performance in the de-bate.

DDTSGM
10-13-2020, 06:30 PM

No, she looks like a mean-spirited person who would lord their position over others, she looks and acts evil.

I've been watching her questioning, or should I say campaign-speechifying, and quite frankly, I'm not sure I could last as long as Barrett has without mentioning cutting her down to size.

farscott
10-13-2020, 06:40 PM

With the current poll numbers and former VP Biden's health ($15 million minimum wage for the platform while running for the Senate), Senator Harris is looking presidential; the issue is she does not act presidential.

StraitR
10-13-2020, 06:46 PM
No, she looks like a mean-spirited person who would lord their position over others, she looks and acts evil.

Not so different than the 2016 Dem ticket. Gonna be hard pass for me again.

AKDoug
10-13-2020, 08:01 PM

Borderland
10-13-2020, 08:59 PM
This lady is killing it.

I love it.

She'll be confirmed. Dems got nothing this time. She probably doesn't even drink alcohol and never tried to seduce anyone at a college kegger.

The big news is the GOP senate race. That isn't going nearly as well.

Old Man Winter
10-13-2020, 09:52 PM
If the rumors are true, they might be drooling over the prospects of other things from Harris.

Borderland
10-13-2020, 09:52 PM

I qualify to answer that. I haven't watched any of this confirmation but from what I've seen of her other senate performances she's not unlike Hillary in a lot of ways. Sort of a take no prisoners elitist except she uses her minority status as a political ax. I'm still trying to figure out why the democratic party would choose her as a VP. They had some other very good minority women candidates. I've watched her career in CA as a prosecutor and AG. She definitely isn't in the main stream of American politics. She's a CA politician with CA political views on damn near everything including your RKBA.

Unfortunately the election will be a referendum on Trump, not Harris. Harris hasn't failed at anything.... yet.

Zincwarrior
10-13-2020, 10:06 PM
What kind of stupid do the Democrats think we are trying to link covid, A VIRUS, to a pre-existing health care condition?

A stop fake crying!

Same people who, like me, watched their relatives suffer for three months from it.

okie john
10-13-2020, 10:09 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why the democratic party would choose her as a VP.

She jailed a bunch of brothers for weed. The Dems think that will attract law-and-order voters.

Okie John

HCM
10-13-2020, 10:13 PM
She jailed a bunch of brothers for weed. The Dems think that will attract law-and-order voters.

Okie John

https://youtu.be/mGeN5ZzekFs

Borderland
10-13-2020, 10:16 PM
She's too cool for school. I'd love to see her stand up and bitch slap some of these dopes.

I like her. I don't care if she does have 13 kids or whatever the number is.

Totem Polar
10-13-2020, 10:22 PM
I like her. I don't care if she does have 13 kids or whatever the number is.

One for each day of the week, actually. The Haitian ones are for weekends.

;)
;) ;)

LittleLebowski
10-13-2020, 10:22 PM
She did quite well today. Mazie Harano is a gibbering idiot as is Booker and Blumenthal is a wretched old fraud.

Borderland
10-13-2020, 10:28 PM

Okie John

More work is needed.

LittleLebowski
10-14-2020, 06:45 AM
Mazie Harano’s questioning and speech yesterday was stupid behind beyond belief. She asked ACB if she had ever sexually harassed anyone and/or settled a sexual harassment lawsuit. Then ACB was castigated for using the phrase “sexual preference” years ago which apparently means she hates all LGBTQ.

RoyGBiv
10-14-2020, 07:14 AM
Mazie Harano’s questioning and speech yesterday was stupid behind beyond belief. She asked ACB if she had ever sexually harassed anyone and/or settled a sexual harassment lawsuit. Then ACB was castigated for using the phrase “sexual preference” years ago which apparently means she hates all LGBTQ.

I was appalled (but not surprised) that Hirono ended her time with that accusation and didn't allow ACB to respond. Ernst, however, helped clean that up nicely.

olstyn
10-14-2020, 07:15 AM

That's ridiculous. "sexual preference" was the preferred terminology not very long ago, at least as I recall it. You really have to wonder what kind of mind comes up with directly asking anyone if they've ever sexually harassed someone. Even if the subject of the questioning had, who would answer in the affirmative? How would you prove them wrong on it without damning evidence, which you'd presumably present instead of asking the question if you had any?

RoyGBiv
10-14-2020, 07:23 AM
That's ridiculous. "sexual preference" was the preferred terminology not very long ago, at least as I recall it. You really have to wonder what kind of mind comes up with directly asking anyone if they've ever sexually harassed someone. Even if the subject of the questioning had, who would answer in the affirmative? How would you prove them wrong on it without damning evidence, which you'd presumably present instead of asking the question if you had any?

It would have been entertaining for ACB to reply "Go fuck yourself Senator".

That's what I yelled at the TV, anyway. :o

blues
10-14-2020, 08:15 AM
Both Mazie Hirono's ethics and lucidity are beyond their expiration date. She's a shill and a hack.

Bio
10-14-2020, 08:50 AM

This came up in a different discussion circle that I am a part of, populated by much further left leaning folks, on average, than this group. By and large, they also thought it was ridiculous that "sexual preference" got jumped on. Probably an indication of an overplayed hand on the senator's part.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-14-2020, 09:22 AM
Ask her if it was wrong for Roberts to trash the 10 progun cases recently. She would pass, but I'd like to get it on the record that Roberts is the stumbling block for gun rights.

Also, watching geezers put together sentences is so painful. I know many coherent older folks, not in Congress though.

4given
10-14-2020, 09:42 AM
How many more days of hearings before they vote?

RoyGBiv
10-14-2020, 10:11 AM
This came up in a different discussion circle that I am a part of, populated by much further left leaning folks, on average, than this group. By and large, they also thought it was ridiculous that "sexual preference" got jumped on. Probably an indication of an overplayed hand on the senator's part.

The audacity of dumping that turd in ACB's lap and walking away without allowing her to respond is so 11th grade. An embarrassment to her State.

blues
10-14-2020, 10:13 AM
The audacity of dumping that turd in ACB's lap and walking away without allowing her to respond is so 11th grade. An embarrassment to her State.

I think that's an insult to 11th graders.

Don Ho was probably referring to her mind when he sang "Tiny Bubbles".

Hambo
10-14-2020, 10:27 AM
I just happened to catch a bit of the hearings yesterday when Diane Feinstein was grilling her. First it was on Roe v. Wade, and Feinstein finally admitted that she had probably gotten all she could out of that. Then it was on to gun control, and ACB's answers did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. To paraphrase, she said she didn't see Heller guaranteeing anything, and that the Constitution permits regulation. :( Then Feinstein confused me and ACB by mingling questions about abortion and gun control. I'm sure we both had the same WTF look on our faces.

Scorecard: Feinstein is senile, and we're going to get whatever we get with ACB.

Later, Ted Cruz lobbed softballs, and a Senator from RI had diagrams and signs to make his case, but didn't ask a single question.

All I learned is that ACB probably could have withstood a Korean prison camp.

RJ
10-14-2020, 10:37 AM
Any idea what this Sen. Whitehouse is talking about?

What a whackadoodle.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-14-2020, 10:44 AM
Did she say that today about Heller? Yesterday she didn't give an opinion as to whether was right or wrong. Just what it said and the process for challenging it.

RoyGBiv
10-14-2020, 12:08 PM

feudist
10-14-2020, 12:22 PM

Outfuckingstanding.

4given
10-14-2020, 12:22 PM
The bias runs deep ... The woke monster is hungry ...

https://notthebee.com/article/amy-coney-barrett-uses-the-term-sexual-preference-dems-and-media-flip-out-while-websters-dictionary-redefines-the-term

RoyGBiv
10-14-2020, 12:34 PM
The bias runs deep ... The woke monster is hungry ...

https://notthebee.com/article/amy-coney-barrett-uses-the-term-sexual-preference-dems-and-media-flip-out-while-websters-dictionary-redefines-the-term

The hashtag at the end of that story was great....
#MakeOrwellFictionAgain

Borderland
10-14-2020, 02:00 PM
I just happened to catch a bit of the hearings yesterday when Diane Feinstein was grilling her. First it was on Roe v. Wade, and Feinstein finally admitted that she had probably gotten all she could out of that. Then it was on to gun control, and ACB's answers did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. To paraphrase, she said she didn't see Heller guaranteeing anything, and that the Constitution permits regulation. :( Then Feinstein confused me and ACB by mingling questions about abortion and gun control. I'm sure we both had the same WTF look on our faces.

Scorecard: Feinstein is senile, and we're going to get whatever we get with ACB.

Later, Ted Cruz lobbed softballs, and a Senator from RI had diagrams and signs to make his case, but didn't ask a single question.

All I learned is that ACB probably could have withstood a Korean prison camp.

Heller wasn't all encompassing regarding one's RKBA so she's correct. There's this small problem with 10A and states rights. When an actual case comes before the SC that deals with magazine capacity, semi auto rifles and states rights to regulate for public safety, we won't know how ACB, or any of Trump's appointees with rule. Roll the dice.

RoyGBiv
10-14-2020, 03:53 PM
I just can't watch Sen Harris pontificate again. Booker was my limit.

Sen Booker challenging the mother of two black children on her sensitivity to race issues was a new low point for him. Now, apparently, Sen Harris is doubling down.

JAD
10-14-2020, 03:58 PM
She did quite well today. Mazie Harano is a gibbering idiot as is Booker and Blumenthal is a wretched old fraud.

Hirono is a twat of the first order, as she demonstrated with Buescher.

Joe in PNG
10-14-2020, 03:59 PM

Sen Booker challenging the mother of two black children on her sensitivity to race issues was a new low point for him. Now, apparently, Sen Harris is doubling down.

She has a good chance of becoming President, and that's a scary thought.

Bart Carter
10-14-2020, 04:27 PM

Every person that is on the fence about voting for Harris should watch her. She makes me want to throw up. She represents and clearly shows everything distasteful about progressives.

blues
10-14-2020, 04:27 PM
She has a good chance of becoming President, and that's a scary thought.

Yep. She's as insufferable as she is disingenuous.

Zincwarrior
10-14-2020, 04:58 PM
Yep. She's as insufferable as she is disingenuous.

The next four years may be hard for you...

Having said that Hirono is borderline moronic, and Grassley/Leahy may be technically zombies at this point.

blues
10-14-2020, 04:59 PM

I don't doubt it.

Joe in PNG
10-14-2020, 05:01 PM
I don't doubt it.

I have no doubt that if she did get in, she'd make a fair and equal distribution of misery for everyone.

blues
10-14-2020, 05:26 PM
I have no doubt that if she did get in, she'd make a fair and equal distribution of misery for everyone.

I doubt it. I'm sure she'll pander to those who she thinks will do her the most good. But I take your overall meaning.

Bigguy
10-14-2020, 06:50 PM

olstyn
10-14-2020, 07:18 PM

Pff, democrats view Ilhan Omar's religion as a bonus feature. The double standards run thick.

revchuck38
10-14-2020, 07:29 PM

Omar could hardly be described as an orthodox Muslim.

JAD
10-14-2020, 07:37 PM

Justice Barrett is not an orthodox Roman Catholic.

I know and like a lot of Charismatic Catholics, and they are absolutely in communion and so forth, but they’re kind of vorpal Catholics +2. They throw awesome barbecues, not to stereotype.

RJ
10-14-2020, 07:44 PM
How would you like to be a Senator about to cast a negative vote for confirmation next week after all this testimony?

How do you go back to your constituents and say that this woman is unqualified to be on the SCOTUS?

(I understand that I have little to no hope that this will happen, and it will be a virtual Party line vote. But I’m an optimistic person. Sigh.)

revchuck38
10-14-2020, 07:53 PM
Justice Barrett is not an orthodox Roman Catholic.

I know and like a lot of Charismatic Catholics, and they are absolutely in communion and so forth, but they’re kind of vorpal Catholics +2. They throw awesome barbecues, not to stereotype.

Judge (not Justice yet :)) Barrett is much closer to orthodox than Omar, I'll wager.

<thread drift>
Our Bishop was speaking at the regional Charismatic Conference a few years back and was given a note that there was a Toyota Corolla that had apparently been parked in neutral without the parking brake having been set. He said something to the effect of, "There's a Toyota Corolla in the parking lot that's slowly rolling...wait, it's a holy roller!"
</thread drift>

OlongJohnson
10-14-2020, 07:53 PM
vorpal Catholics

Okay, I know a few Catholics. I've never heard that phrase. Can you explain? Google got me no farther than Lewis Carroll, and I couldn't land any planes with that.

ETA:

They throw awesome barbecues, not to stereotype.

Reminds me I know some people who are part of a Seventh-Day Adventist family in the KC area who raise beef commercially. Weirdly enough, they're vegetarians.

olstyn
10-14-2020, 08:09 PM
Okay, I know a few Catholics. I've never heard that phrase. Can you explain? Google got me no farther than Lewis Carroll, and I couldn't land any planes with that.

I believe JAD was comparing them to particularly fine weaponry in D&D - it's been a long time, but IIRC if you roll a critical hit with a vorpal sword, it's an automatic beheading or something along those lines.

JAD
10-14-2020, 08:15 PM

It was a nerdy thing (from Carroll, as well as D&D) — the knight’s ‘vorpal blade’ was really sharp, and the Charasmatics I’ve hung out with have a very deep-seated faith, that transmits unusually well to their kids.

blues
10-14-2020, 08:18 PM
Does no one know Jabberwocky (https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/42916/jabberwocky) anymore?

Joe in PNG
10-14-2020, 08:22 PM
Does no one know Jabberwocky (https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/42916/jabberwocky) anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXevJJE0YXQ

RJ
10-14-2020, 08:36 PM
I thought Sen. Graham’s close was pretty good.

https://youtu.be/0LFOOFsMAho

LittleLebowski
10-14-2020, 08:44 PM

Having said that Hirono is borderline moronic, and Grassley/Leahy may be technically zombies at this point.

And Blumenthal...

JAD
10-14-2020, 08:52 PM
I thought Sen. Graham’s close was pretty good.

https://youtu.be/0LFOOFsMAho

Feinstein must have had a hair appointment.

critter
10-14-2020, 09:07 PM
How would you like to be a Senator about to cast a negative vote for confirmation next week after all this testimony?

How do you go back to your constituents and say that this woman is unqualified to be on the SCOTUS?

(I understand that I have little to no hope that this will happen, and it will be a virtual Party line vote. But I’m an optimistic person. Sigh.)

US vs THEM... I doubt even one of them gives a damn whether she's qualified. The constituents stupid enough to vote those traitors into office have one thought in mind, "Orange Man Appointee BAD" and nothing else matters.

Half Moon
10-14-2020, 09:26 PM

Well, perhaps, it's confusing a bowsprit with a rudder, but if thrice I say yes would you believe: what I tell you three time is true?

Half Moon
10-14-2020, 09:35 PM
US vs THEM... I doubt even one of them gives a damn whether she's qualified. The constituents stupid enough to vote those traitors into office have one thought in mind, "Orange Man Appointee BAD" and nothing else matters.

Or, possibly, you might consider the qualifications of Merrick Garland and whether tit for tat, with forgiveness, is a valid solution to an iterated prisoner's dilemma. Or you can just grind your partisan ox; which is a lot like beating your meat: briefly satisfying, I'm sure, but ultimately not fruitful.

critter
10-14-2020, 09:47 PM
Or, possibly, you might consider the qualifications of Merrick Garland and whether tit for tat, with forgiveness, is a valid solution to an iterated prisoner's dilemma. Or you can just grind your partisan ox; which is a lot like beating your meat: briefly satisfying, I'm sure, but ultimately not fruitful.

Nothing partisan about being a literal constitutionalist. In my book, anyone who isn't is a traitor.

As far as I'm aware, we're talking about the constituents. I doubt if even 10% of them have a clue who Garland is.

feudist
10-14-2020, 10:52 PM

Forgiveness?

Are you sober? You think we should let the left have a SCOTUS pick to be fair?

The people who want to disarm you. The people who are burning our cities and calling for violence against Americans over political views.

The side that picked the "Nuclear option". The side that intimidated journalist with the power of the presidency. The side that actively sought to suppress free speech

by law and are suppressing it with their accomplices in the media.

You think we should be fair to them, or forgive them because we're what? Meanies?

Orange Man bad!

Maple Syrup Actual
10-14-2020, 10:56 PM
Judge (not Justice yet :)) Barrett is much closer to orthodox than Omar, I'll wager.

If that's true, I bet it has more to do with what we consider "orthodox" when it comes to various forms of Christianity than to Islam.

I mean there's hardly a Christian to be found (outside the Vatican) that insists on wearing a particular hat for all public appearances, but that kind of thing is common in lots of religions. With Christian denominations, if you pray regularly, lots of people are already willing to describe you as orthodox; if you do it five times a day as a Muslim you might not be particularly devout.

I'm a-religious and not particularly interested in the subject but my wife's parents would be considered fairly orthodox Mennonites by most people...but the amount that the church is involved in their lives is slightly less than the involvement a good friend of mine who considers himself a lapsed Muslim has with his mosque. And I agree, he's pretty lapsed compared to when we met. But still, Islam plays a huge role in his life, larger even than the role of the church in the lives of a couple of people I generally think of as cult members.

There's a really pronounced double standard when it comes to Christianity vs other religions, I think.

feudist
10-14-2020, 11:18 PM

Why not?

She's a brotherfucker.

blues
10-15-2020, 07:50 AM
Why not?

She's a brotherfucker.

You make that sound so wrong.

("Get off me Cletus, you're crushing my Marlboros". Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy. :p No offense to the inbred. )

Joe S
10-15-2020, 09:35 AM
Trigger warning: extended thread drift about religion.

I've never heard anyone in the greater Muslim community use the word "orthodox" to describe another Muslim's faith or adherence to law or lack thereof. Probably partially because there are specialized in-group terms that apply, but also because I think Judaism and Islam are better defined as orthopractic (what you practice) religions, vs. Christianity, which tends to be more orthodoxic (what you believe). Lest anyone think I'm talking out of my rear, I've put forward this thesis to multiple rabbis, imams, priests and pastors on multiple occasions, and never met strong disagreement.

For what's generally considered a practicing Muslim, they adhere to the 5 pillars:

1. Shahada (declaration or witnessing of faith): that they testify that there are no gods but God and Muhammad is Its messenger. There can be technicalities about this based on your sincerity and the presence of adult male witnesses. If you've made communal prayers at least 3 times, ever, you've checked this off.

2. Salat (daily prayer): 5X a day (with some exceptions). There's a set form, with some flexibility built in, up to the judgement of the person praying or the person leading the prayer.

3. Zakat (charity): giving to the needy. Again, there's a set protocal and societal institutions that make it easy, but also wiggle room for individuals.

4. Sawm (fasting): usually during Ramadan, dawn to dusk, but with some variation depending on individual circumstances.

5. Hajj (pilgrimage): IF you can, you're supposed to go at least once in your life. In practice throughout much of the world, this translates to "want to go", because of limited means.

That's it. My experience has been that individual interpretation of this varies a lot, with a lot of folks believing if you've made the Shahada and meant it, BOOM, you're in, here's your secret decoder ring, can we help you find a wife? For most, even ones not particularly devout/believing, Ramadan followed by daily prayer is the deciding factor.

IMO, if you're thinking of Orthodox Jews generally, they are most comparable to Salafists, the folks very concerned with doing things in the spirit and sometimes the letter of how Muhammad and his buddies did it. Some do short pants and thobes (long tunics) and beards with Reeboks every day, some are dressed in modern Western garb, and you would never know, but they definitely hold the bacon.

What we call ultra-Orthodox Jews in the US and Israel (Haredi and Hassidim) are comparable to Wahhabists. They want everything to be as close as possible to the way it was done in the past, with strict interpretation of the letter of the law. They seem to share a love of minivans.

My experiences with devout Orthodox Christians of various stripes is that they are usually somewhere between Salafists and Wahhabists. I think Catholics are generally closer to Shia, because of the belief in an authoritative institution that can modify and interpret laws for everyone.

There's a lot of wiggle room due to cultural interpretations and the finer points of personal belief. Islam is certainly not monolithic, just like the other Abrahamic Religions.

By these standards, Ilhan Omar is a Muslim, and that's it, I would say. Devout/"good" is up to debate, and if you asked a religious Muslim, they would be highly likely to tell you Allahu Alam, or "Only God knows/God knows best."

Thank you for attending my TED talk. Please join us in the lobby for socially distanced coffee and halal/kosher donuts.

0ddl0t
10-15-2020, 04:11 PM
A look at ACB's record on Qualified Immunity: https://reason.com/2020/10/15/these-7th-circuit-decisions-suggest-amy-coney-barrett-takes-a-constrained-view-of-qualified-immunity/

She seems pretty rational to me, but I suspect her record won't thrill most LEOs. She upheld QI for police pulling over 3 black men in a grey car hours after 3 separate black men in a different gray car committed a nearby drive-by shooting. But she rejected QI for:

1) a detective who lied on his probable cause affidavit
2) a prison guard who retaliated against a complaint-filing prisoner by falsely claiming he was a snitch to other inmates
3) a prison guard who pressed "a non‐resisting detainee's neck against the concrete in a manner that prevented him from breathing, carr(ied) him hog‐tied to his cell, and severely twiste(ed) his wrist"

...even though no exact-match "clearly established precedent" existed for those examples.

HCM
10-15-2020, 04:45 PM
A look at ACB's record on Qualified Immunity: https://reason.com/2020/10/15/these-7th-circuit-decisions-suggest-amy-coney-barrett-takes-a-constrained-view-of-qualified-immunity/

She seems pretty rational to me, but I suspect her record won't thrill most LEOs. She upheld QI for police pulling over 3 black men in a grey car hours after 3 separate black men in a different gray car committed a nearby drive-by shooting. But she rejected QI for:

2) a prison guard who retaliated against a complaint-filing prisoner by falsely claiming he was a snitch to other inmates
3) a prison guard who pressed "a non‐resisting detainee's neck against the concrete in a manner that prevented him from breathing, carr(ied) him hog‐tied to his cell, and severely twiste(ed) his wrist"

...even though no exact-match "clearly established precedent" existed for those examples.

So she upheld qualified immunity for officers making a reasonable “good faith” effort to do their job properly, which is what qualified immunity is intended for and she denied qualified immunity to officers engaging in misconduct?

If I have that right this LEO is just fine with her take on qualified immunity and I suspect most LEOs will be.

ssb
10-15-2020, 05:17 PM

I don't think "most LEOs" are down with perjury, assault, and retaliatory dishonesty. Most LEOs I know take their integrity quite seriously.

TC215
10-15-2020, 05:38 PM

If you think that “won’t thrill most LEO’s”, I suspect that you, like most outside of LE, don’t have a very good understanding of what QI actually is.

scw2
10-15-2020, 06:01 PM

I'm not LEO but after having listened to some LE and doing some basic googling, I believe most people like you and I have been misled in bad faith by activists into believing that QI provides absolute immunity for officers, when that is far from the case. If I recall correctly the percentage of cases where officers are granted QI is fairly low and somewhere near 10% - hopefully someone can hop in and correct me if I'm misspeaking.

Furthermore, if you are worried of the potential of QI to help some officers dodge a charge, you should be up on arms against the absolute immunity granted to DAs and Judges. That could quickly help put the kibosh on politically motivated charges like we've seen in the past year, or someone like Harris hiding exonerating evidence.

TCB
10-15-2020, 06:29 PM
Uhhhh...so she thinks QI means what QI means and applies it that way? Yea, I’m good with that.

WobblyPossum
10-15-2020, 06:48 PM
So she upheld qualified immunity for officers making a reasonable “good faith” effort to do their job properly, which is what qualified immunity is intended for and she denied qualified immunity to officers engaging in misconduct?

If I have that right this LEO is just fine with her take on qualified immunity and I suspect most LEOs will be.

I don't think "most LEOs" are down with perjury, assault, and retaliatory dishonesty. Most LEOs I know take their integrity quite seriously.

If you think that “won’t thrill most LEO’s”, I suspect that you, like most outside of LE, don’t have a very good understanding of what QI actually is.

Uhhhh...so she thinks QI means what QI means and applies it that way? Yea, I’m good with that.

What they said. I’m quite happy with how Judge Barrett seems to rule regarding QI.

RoyGBiv
10-18-2020, 09:50 AM
https://youtu.be/L_hVMwCcC1w

RoyGBiv
10-22-2020, 05:39 AM
Senator Hirono Demands ACB Be Weighed Against A Duck To See If She Is A Witch (https://babylonbee.com/news/senator-hirono-demands-acb-be-weighed-against-a-duck-to-see-if-she-is-a-witch)

https://babylonbee.com/img/articles/article-7213-2.jpg

blues
10-22-2020, 08:52 AM
Sen. Mike Lee of UT is kicking ass...

RoyGBiv
10-22-2020, 09:13 AM

I missed it! But.... YouTube has the replay... Lee starts about the 24 minute mark. Watching now.

https://youtu.be/dW1wlE6YLIE

ETA: Enjoyed that immensely.

Zincwarrior
10-22-2020, 10:06 AM
I don't understand the posters(at the hearing just now) If you want to vote no vote no. That's childish.

blues
10-22-2020, 10:12 AM
I don't understand the posters(at the hearing just now) If you want to vote no vote no. That's childish.

Agreed. But then they can pretend it was a matter of principle, and not a swipe at her specifically. The equivalent of weasel wording by an attorney.

(And I don't mean to indict all attorneys, I've worked with several excellent ones over the years. But you know the type I'm referring to.)

JTQ
10-22-2020, 10:13 AM

I missed it! But.... YouTube has the replay... Lee starts about the 24 minute mark. Watching now.
Thanks for posting that, I would have missed it. As a guy in my 60's, Sen Lee is saying it as I remember it.

I'm OK with the Democrats seeing these events through a different prism, that's what makes elections, but that the media cannot bring themselves to see these events, or at least accurately report them, over the past three plus decades the same way Sen Lee presents them, is what saddens me.

blues
10-22-2020, 10:18 AM
Thanks for posting that, I would have missed it. As a guy in my 60's, Sen Lee is saying it as I remember it.

I'm OK with the Democrats seeing these events through a different prism, that's what makes elections, but that the media cannot bring themselves to see these events, or at least accurately report them, over the past three plus decades the same way Sen Lee presents them, is what saddens me.

Exactly. Selective, agenda driven reportage is not "news". It's a political op-ed disguised as news. The American people and the "truth" are the victims of this deceit.

(And I don't care which side of the divide the deceit emanates from...garbage is garbage.)

Bart Carter
10-22-2020, 11:58 AM
Exactly. Selective, agenda driven reportage is not "news". It's a political op-ed disguised as news. The American people and the "truth" are the victims of this deceit...

When was the MSM taken over? Was it so gradual that we didn't notice? Was it the money people that own news outlets shaping the news for their benefit? [Why did Bloomberg just pop 100 million in the Florida election? Does he think he can buy the Florida election?]

It's out in the open now. Can it be fixed?

blues
10-22-2020, 12:04 PM
When was the MSM taken over? Was it so gradual that we didn't notice? Was it the money people that own news outlets shaping the news for their benefit? [Why did Bloomberg just pop 100 million in the Florida election? Does he think he can buy the Florida election?]

It's out in the open now. Can it be fixed?

It's been incremental...death by 1,000 cuts.

Can the genie be put back in the bottle? Your guess is as good as mine.

Guerrero
10-22-2020, 12:30 PM
It's been incremental...death by 1,000 cuts.

Can the genie be put back in the bottle? Your guess is as good as mine.

Hear tell, even Walter Cronkite was way left, and reported accordingly. He just hid it well.

Robinson
10-22-2020, 01:20 PM
Hear tell, even Walter Cronkite was way left, and reported accordingly. He just hid it well.

I still remember him lying to America about the Tet offensive.

Snapshot
10-22-2020, 01:33 PM
I believe it has always been the case, but never more so than now, that it is up to the consumer of information (news, history, opinion, etc.) to obtain that information from multiple diverse sources and apply their own critical thinking, informed by history, observations and experience to any information they receive.

And while it has never been easier to access multiple sources, it also has never been easier to create a source that promotes a narrative, and so it has never been harder to separate facts from propaganda. Doing so effectively is often hard and sometimes leads to unwelcome conclusions, and the path of least resistance is often to consume a source that generally promotes the narratives we have already accepted.

AKDoug
10-22-2020, 02:28 PM
Journalism has dictated political policy and division since this country was founded. Dudes actually used to duel and kill each other over perceived insults in print.

Joe in PNG
10-22-2020, 03:24 PM
Read "The Boys on the Bus" about the reporterage during the 1972 election, and the rise of a lot of the people who would be seriously influential news figures for decades to come. Almost all of them were some flavor of Leftist, and fairly open about their biases.
Those people had a big effect on who was hired, and that did skew the industry to the hard left.

FNFAN
10-22-2020, 11:58 PM
I was very impressed by her. Also quite interested in her background. I stumbled upon this pic from 1994. Obviously looks matter not when you're picking an Associate Justices of the United States Supreme Court, but I couldn't not share a picture of this bright and shiny penny.

UNM1136
10-23-2020, 08:38 PM
Injecting some levity....

https://babylonbee.com/news/senator-hirono-demands-acb-be-weighed-against-a-duck-to-see-if-she-is-a-witch

pat

JAD
10-23-2020, 10:23 PM
Some good journalism, about why Hirono needs a hoof in the Clamato:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/10/senator-hironos-double-standard/

Kanye Wyoming
10-24-2020, 08:38 AM
Some good journalism, about why Hirono needs a hoof in the Clamato:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/10/senator-hironos-double-standard/

HCountyGuy
10-26-2020, 07:09 PM
ACB confirmed!!!

52 yays
48 nays

Joe in PNG
10-26-2020, 07:10 PM
Congratulations Justice Barrett!

RoyGBiv
10-26-2020, 07:13 PM
Perhaps the check that saves the Union.

KellyinAvon
10-26-2020, 07:21 PM
We're still 5-4 with Roberts as a big ???

AKDoug
10-26-2020, 07:54 PM
Now we need to elect Trump so that at a minimum he'll probably get to replace Breyer and likely Thomas.

Suvorov
10-26-2020, 08:05 PM
Now we need to elect Trump so that at a minimum he'll probably get to replace Breyer and likely Thomas.

Yep. Breyer will try to hold out but I can see Thomas stepping down to make sure he passes the baton to another originalist.

feudist
10-26-2020, 08:59 PM
Perhaps the check that saves the Union.

From your lips to God's ears.

Mark D
10-26-2020, 10:43 PM
ACB confirmed!!!

52 yays
48 nays

Great news!

FNFAN
10-27-2020, 01:21 AM
The Nation is Winning! Was so concerned about some last minute 'point of order' or defection.

RJ
10-27-2020, 06:24 AM
Outstanding.

Congratulations Justice Coney Barrett.

blues
10-27-2020, 08:11 AM
That's one mark on the + side.

WobblyPossum
10-27-2020, 09:01 AM
I’m always happy to see another textualist/originalist appointed to the Court. I do hope the Democrats do not respond by “packing” the Court should they manage to take the Senate and White House though. We need some time with this makeup of 9 justices to see if any gun control nonsense gets crushed.

blues
10-27-2020, 09:08 AM
I’m always happy to see another textualist/originalist appointed to the Court. I do hope the Democrats do not respond by “packing” the Court should they manage to take the Senate and White House though. We need some time with this makeup of 9 justices to see if any gun control nonsense gets crushed.

The fact that the Dems want to do this, despite a large majority of Americans polled being against it, is reflective of how far out of touch they are with American values...and that they don't care. It's all about pushing through their agenda whether the people want it or not. Sound familiar?

WobblyPossum
10-27-2020, 09:18 AM
The fact that the Dems want to do this, despite a large majority of Americans polled being against it, is reflective of how far out of touch they are with American values...and that they don't care. It's all about pushing through their agenda whether the people want it or not. Sound familiar?

Let’s just say I’m glad that the President is separately elected and not chosen by a coalition of legislators, and I’m not excited about what the future holds.

peterb
10-27-2020, 10:58 AM

That line of argument can cut both ways.......

————

The latest NBC News-Wall Street Journal survey finds that 89 percent of Americans favor expanded background checks for gun purchasers; 76 percent support "red flag" laws to identify dangerous persons and deny them guns, and 75 percent favor a voluntary buyback program in which the government would purchase firearms from current owners. Sixty-two percent of Americans favor a ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-08-19/poll-majority-favor-gun-control

blues
10-27-2020, 11:17 AM

————

The latest NBC News-Wall Street Journal survey finds that 89 percent of Americans favor expanded background checks for gun purchasers; 76 percent support "red flag" laws to identify dangerous persons and deny them guns, and 75 percent favor a voluntary buyback program in which the government would purchase firearms from current owners. Sixty-two percent of Americans favor a ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-08-19/poll-majority-favor-gun-control

Well, at least my flintlock and blunderbuss will be safe.

ccmdfd
10-27-2020, 11:20 AM

Only if you can't attach a bayonet to either of them. Otherwise they become an assault Flintlock or assault blunderbuss.

olstyn
10-27-2020, 11:36 AM

That article is more than a year old. I wonder if the poll numbers have changed any, given the events of 2020. I also wonder what % of the poll respondents are actually well educated on the topic. I imagine the answer to the % question is depressing.

OlongJohnson
10-27-2020, 01:50 PM
Sixty-two percent of Americans favor a ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons.

Seventy-three percent* of Americans don't know what semi-automatic means when describing a weapon.

*Made-up statistic, but probably close.

Joe in PNG
10-27-2020, 01:50 PM
Seventy-three percent* of Americans don't know what semi-automatic means when describing a weapon.

*Made-up statistic, but probably close.

Pretty much how professional polling works anyway.

critter
10-27-2020, 02:04 PM

————

100% of that is unconstitutional... and a hill I'm willing to mount.

45dotACP
10-27-2020, 02:29 PM

*Made-up statistic, but probably close.63% of statistics are made up. Including this one.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Rick R
10-27-2020, 02:37 PM

But due to ecological concerns you won’t be allowed to possess lead. Black powder will be forbidden too without a Class A explosives permit requiring a appropriately alarmed and situated external powder magazine. ;)

The Left actually has sorted out that guns last forever but ammunition “needs” to be regulated.

OlongJohnson
10-27-2020, 02:47 PM
But due to ecological concerns you won’t be allowed to possess lead. Black powder will be forbidden too without a Class A explosives permit requiring a appropriately alarmed and situated external powder magazine. ;)

The Left actually has sorted out that guns last forever but ammunition “needs” to be regulated.

Chris Rock was decades behind.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1988/02/01/ban-bullets-an-idea-from-sen-moynihan/83ee076d-c32d-4d22-aa34-be679a5c6dc9/

Crow Hunter
10-27-2020, 02:52 PM

————

I bet if you drilled down into the data you would find out that:

-A large majority of the 89% think the question is should someone have to have a background check to buy a gun at a dealer or a background check between two random strangers at a gun show. Change it to "Do you support having to have a background check done if they let a hunting buddy borrow a rifle/shotgun and/or a background check on their family member to give them a gun?" and I bet a chunk of that support disappears.

-76% probably support making sure that there is a way that family members of crazy or suicidal people have a way to get the guns out of their hands, not that some random person that doesn't like them can have their guns removed without due process. Change the wording to say, "Do you agree that an acquaintance/ex-spouse/lover/family member should be able to anonymously report you to the police and have all your guns taken way until YOU prove you should get them back and face no repercussions for doing so?" and I bet the % changes.

-75% who support Voluntary buybacks to get unwanted guns off the streets that would otherwise be potentially stolen or sold to felons to "Do you support being forced by the government to give them YOUR personal firearms for a price THEY decide is reasonable?" I know that number will change. Even change it to "Do you support a tax increase on your personal income to support buying unwanted guns and destroying them?" and I bet that a significant chunk of that % falls off.

-62% of people who favor a ban on the sale of "automatic" weapons who were asked instead "Do you support the ban on sale of every firearm that isn't a revolver, pump, bolt, lever or break open action, including the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 that your XXXXXX bought you as a Christmas present and suddenly the % changes.

A poll is only as useful as the questions being asked and the questions being asked can 100% affect the results.

BillSWPA
10-27-2020, 02:53 PM
That article is more than a year old. I wonder if the poll numbers have changed any, given the events of 2020. I also wonder what % of the poll respondents are actually well educated on the topic. I imagine the answer to the % question is depressing.

Adding to this point, I have not seen any recent polls on public support for gun control. I wonder why?

A few months ago a liberal friend who moved from Pennsylvania to Maryland contacted me about advice on buying a gun. Tis friend expressed surprise at the requirements that had to be met before purchasing a gun in Maryland.

blues
10-27-2020, 02:59 PM

Slingshots and blowguns, then. You're harshing my mellow.

peterb
10-27-2020, 03:00 PM
A poll is only as useful as the questions being asked and the questions being asked can 100% affect the results.

Exactly. Equating the results of any poll to "what the public thinks" is unwise.

Joe in PNG
10-27-2020, 03:05 PM
A poll is never what the public is thinking. It's not even what the people who took the poll are thinking. All it is is just how the people taking the poll answered that set of questions, and only that.

Wondering Beard
10-27-2020, 03:34 PM
I bet if you drilled down into the data you would find out that:

-A large majority of the 89% think the question is should someone have to have a background check to buy a gun at a dealer or a background check between two random strangers at a gun show. Change it to "Do you support having to have a background check done if they let a hunting buddy borrow a rifle/shotgun and/or a background check on their family member to give them a gun?" and I bet a chunk of that support disappears.

-76% probably support making sure that there is a way that family members of crazy or suicidal people have a way to get the guns out of their hands, not that some random person that doesn't like them can have their guns removed without due process. Change the wording to say, "Do you agree that an acquaintance/ex-spouse/lover/family member should be able to anonymously report you to the police and have all your guns taken way until YOU prove you should get them back and face no repercussions for doing so?" and I bet the % changes.

-75% who support Voluntary buybacks to get unwanted guns off the streets that would otherwise be potentially stolen or sold to felons to "Do you support being forced by the government to give them YOUR personal firearms for a price THEY decide is reasonable?" I know that number will change. Even change it to "Do you support a tax increase on your personal income to support buying unwanted guns and destroying them?" and I bet that a significant chunk of that % falls off.

-62% of people who favor a ban on the sale of "automatic" weapons who were asked instead "Do you support the ban on sale of every firearm that isn't a revolver, pump, bolt, lever or break open action, including the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 that your XXXXXX bought you as a Christmas present and suddenly the % changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

Guerrero
10-27-2020, 07:10 PM
The Newspaper of Record has several stories on ACB:

Newly Sworn-In ACB Immediately Orders All Nation's Women To Wear Handmaid's Outfit (https://babylonbee.com/news/newly-sworn-in-acb-immediately-orders-all-nations-women-to-wear-handmaids-outfit)

Kavanaugh Empties Keg Of Beer On ACB's Head In Celebration (https://babylonbee.com/news/kavanaugh-empties-keg-of-beer-on-acbs-head-in-celebration)

Democrats Ask ACB To Recuse Herself From Any Cases Involving The Constitution (https://babylonbee.com/news/democrats-ask-acb-to-recuse-herself-from-any-cases-involving-the-constitution)

SCOTUS Installs Garage Door So ACB Can Stop In And Hear Arguments Before Dropping Kids Off At Soccer Practice (https://babylonbee.com/news/supreme-court-installs-garage-door-so-acb-can-stop-in-and-hear-arguments-while-on-way-to-drop-kids-off-at-soccer-practice)

critter
10-30-2020, 06:46 AM
So, I'm sure this will completely shock everyone... Girl Scouts taking heat for congratulating ACB, and they actually deleted the congratulatory tweet instead of telling the morons to unequivocally fuck off.

It's all about empowering women brainwashed agenda bleaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlgOTW7HmtQ

okie john
10-30-2020, 08:28 AM
Democrats Ask ACB To Recuse Herself From Any Cases Involving The Constitution (https://babylonbee.com/news/democrats-ask-acb-to-recuse-herself-from-any-cases-involving-the-constitution)

When I first saw this one, I thought it was true.

Okie John

critter
10-30-2020, 08:40 AM
When I first saw this one, I thought it was true.

Okie John

Oh, I have zero doubt it will be true...

blues
10-30-2020, 08:59 AM
Oh, I have zero doubt it will be true...

Just remember, America is just an idea. You can re-imagine it anytime you like...and forget that silly old piece of parchment moldering behind a glass frame somewhere.