PDA

View Full Version : Grasp reflex?

peterb
06-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Sounds like wrestling with the shifter might have caused him to squeeze with his gun hand.

--------------------------------------------
A 23-year-old woman was shot in the chest and killed by a police officer as she tried to flee a stolen car she allegedly crashed in Brooklyn Thursday evening, police said.

Police said two officers were in an unmarked vehicle in East Flatbush when they saw a stolen Toyota Camry running a series of red lights through East 40th, 39th and 38th streets on Church Avenue before colliding with a minivan on 38th Street.

The police vehicle pulled up alongside the stolen Toyota at the crash site, and both officers approached the vehicle. According to police, one of the officers moved to the passenger side to open the door, but the driver flung open the door on that side, throwing the officer backward.

The woman then moved back to the driver's seat, put the car in reverse and hit the gas, police said.

Around the same time, the other officer had entered the driver's side of the car with his gun in one hand.

As he tried to shift the gear into park with his other hand, a single round was discharged from the gun, hitting the woman in the chest, police said.

The woman was taken to Kings County Hospital in critical condition, and later died.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Woman-Shot-Chest-Brooklyn-Church-Avenue-38-Street-159134215.html

JM Campbell
06-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Stupid prizes for stupid games....

I'd say it was the ohhh--sh** reaction when the vehicle jerked in reverse, scary situation that resulted in a death.

I will revert back to my first line....

ETA: SouthNarcs commentary on a hard BOOGER HOOK index cones into play here. Train for it....period.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

98z28
06-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Total speculation follows:

Not knowing the the full story, it's entirely possible that it was not a negligent discharge at all. If the officer thought he was about to be dragged, popping the suspect is an appropriate reaction. The article highlights the fact that an unarmed woman was shot and killed. Apparently a 3,000 vehicle cannot be used as a weapon...

GJM
06-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Assuming the shot was not intentional, grasp reflex or not, it would seem like we had a rule two violation?

peterb
08-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Interesting look at grasp reflex and trigger finger index;

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/trigger-finger-positioning-hand-clenches-and-accidental-discharges

..."The three most commonly identified causes of involuntary hand clenching have been extensively studied. They are as follows:

1) Postural Imbalance. When the shooter loses balance or trips, his hands will clench.

2) Startle Effect. When the shooter is under stress and surprised, there will often be a hand clench.

3) Interlimb Interaction. Under stress, when the non gun hand closes violently, the gun hand will clench, spontaneously duplicating the actions of the non-gun hand."

Fly320s
08-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Also known as Stumble, Startle, or Sympathetic response.