PDA

View Full Version : Optic size: Gaming vs Carry

Quantrill
09-25-2020, 02:40 PM
For those of you that game a bigger window optic like an SRO or DPP and carry something smaller like an RMR or ACRO.
Do you feel like the bigger window causes you to be less precise in your presentation, and does it cause issues when you train with your carry optic?

I had my first pistols milled for an RMR’s in 2015 and was kinda, meh. I recently dug it out and started shooting CO with it and I’m having a blast. I’m going to get another pistol milled for RMR or ACRO for carry. I’m considering a SRO down the road for competition, I just don’t want to get killed in the food court.

I’m just curious if the transition is a big deal.

MVS
09-25-2020, 06:22 PM
For those of you that game a bigger window optic like an SRO or DPP and carry something smaller like an RMR or ACRO.
Do you feel like the bigger window causes you to be less precise in your presentation, and does it cause issues when you train with your carry optic?

I had my first pistols milled for an RMR’s in 2015 and was kinda, meh. I recently dug it out and started shooting CO with it and I’m having a blast. I’m going to get another pistol milled for RMR or ACRO for carry. I’m considering a SRO down the road for competition, I just don’t want to get killed in the food court.

I’m just curious if the transition is a big deal.

Can you shoot a top speed for you Bill drill with the RMR without losing the dot in the window?

Quantrill
09-25-2020, 06:36 PM
Can you shoot a top speed for you Bill drill with the RMR without losing the dot in the window?

I haven’t shot a Bill Drill with an RMR yet but probably not.

I’m only 2 matches in to the CO thing.

MVS
09-25-2020, 06:49 PM
I have carried with a RMR for about ten years now, and have shot carry optics with a DPP for about 3 years now. Some people will say it makes no difference what size window you have if your recoil control is good and your index is spot on. I would agree with that, buuut, if most people didn't find a bigger window more forgiving and easier to shoot fast, you wouldn't see such a proliferation of them. BTW, I just bought a G45 and SRO. Can't wait for the optic to arrive so I can try it out.

Quantrill
09-25-2020, 06:54 PM
Thanks MVS.
You summed that up way better than I can.

YVK
09-25-2020, 09:41 PM

No, yes, maybe.

If I screw up a presentation with SRO a little, I might at times see the dot just under the hood (I usually screw up in a vertical plane). Not that usable although can still hit something large at somewhere close. Main benefit is that I still see the dot and know which way to adjust. Same error with RMR will make me lose the dot. Note that it is an error in both cases, not acceptable, and I strive for the same precision in presentation with SRO and with RMR. It's just the SRO is more forgiving.
Not an issue for me. I find larger screens be more helpful in aspects other than the presentation.

Then again, I am a guy who competes with CZ and carries a Glock, so I clearly underestimate the food court risks.

Eyesquared
09-25-2020, 11:38 PM
I would say the bigger window does not in any way make me sloppy in my presentation. When the goal is to put the gun on target precisely, that means I need to draw and bring it to a consistent spot with a consistent orientation, regardless of how big the window is. When I execute that draw properly the dot should be well centered in either the bigger optic or a smaller optic. Or rather, if I draw properly there really aren't any situations where I draw but choose to accept a sloppy presentation just because I have a bigger window. As I see it this is one of those things where it takes damn near the same amount of time to do it properly VS doing it sloppily.

IMO where the bigger window really shines is shooting on the move, hard leans, low ports, and one handed shooting, where I can't maintain my normal body position and my index may not be as consistent.