PDA

View Full Version : Humble Brag Happy Trade (Colt 6920 for CMP M1 Garand)

farscott
09-19-2020, 01:48 PM
With the current craze, I have decided to unload firearms that 1) I am not using, and 2) have appreciated in value more than common sense suggests should be the case. The idea is to use the proceeds to buy higher end firearms. I usually do this by sending everything to a FFL friend of mine in Texas who lists and sells them. He takes a percentage for his work, but it saves me the hassle and insures everything sold has a paper trail. That works really well with handguns, but shipping costs for long guns are prohibitive. I ship everything using a local FFL (who has right of first refusal on everything) as he allows me to ship FedEx at his cost. In any event, long guns tend to not make it to Texas due to the expense of shipping combined with the fact that long guns look like, well, long guns. Having a weapon disappear during the shipping process is a recurring nightmare.

In any event, I decided to unload a NIB Colt LE 6920. It was NIB as my wife and I had other ARs to shoot. My wife has a S&W M&P Sport with an Eotech she loves, and I have a Centurion upper built by Monte on a BCM lower with an Aimpoint COMP M4 that is my carbine of choice. I also have a few more ARs, including one set up for coyotes and one for deer. So the 6920 was excess to my needs. I decided to explore options a bit and see if I could trade the 6920 for something more desirable. And did I find something.

A fellow Alabamian who is a retired LEO was looking for a 6920 and offered a M1 Garand in trade. Not just any U.S. Rifle, Cal. .30 M1 either; this one was CMP rifle in a CMP hard case. The rifle was a 1944 Springfield with a Springfield barrel. The wood appears to be a later addition to the rifle. The trade offer also included a "spam can" of M2 ball in bandoliers with en bloc clips, a repro 1907 sling, and a CMP-sourced bayonet still in cosmoline. The rifle shipped from the CMP on 25-APR-2018. So it sold for about what I paid for the 6920 in 2015. The gentleman with whom I traded got a desirable AR without spending a fortune (Colt AR prices locally have increased beyond comprehension), and I got a piece of history. I did not need a M1 Garand, but I do enjoy the rifles both for the role in history and for the machining and woodworking. No more will be made unlike the 6920. With this one not being 100% original, it could be shot from time to time without fear of damaging a collector's item. So we came to a deal and consummated the trade this morning.

Some pics follow.

flyrodr
09-19-2020, 02:09 PM
My Dad carried the M1 in WWII. More than once, as a kid, I asked him why he didn't bring back a gun ("for me", generally remained unsaid). More than once, he explained I wasn't born until 1949.

Eventually I figured it out . . .

farscott
09-19-2020, 02:34 PM
My wife's maternal grandfather served in WW II, came home minus an eye, and acquired (how is lost to the sands of time) a M1 Garand. That rifle ended up with my wife's brother, so my wife is familiar with the M1 Garand. His US flag, presented during his funeral, is boxed and on display in a place of honor in our family room. The new-to-us rifle is a welcome addition.

SecondsCount
09-19-2020, 04:17 PM
Congrats on the new rifle! They're still making 6920s by the thousands but they aren't making anymore Garands.

I find them to be pretty cool. I bought mine back in the mid 90s when they were reasonable, and kick myself for not buying the complete M1D at the pawn shop for $800.

Mike C
09-19-2020, 05:20 PM
Congrats farscott, shoot that bad boy. Even though I really enjoy modern guns it is impossible not to love or appreciate such an incredibly historical gun.

farscott
09-19-2020, 05:38 PM
Congrats farscott, shoot that bad boy. Even though I really enjoy modern guns it is impossible not to love or appreciate such an incredibly historical gun.

It will get shot after my gunsmith goes through it and checks everything. We did not see any obvious issues, but we rather be safe than sorry. I think my wife is more excited about the rifle than I am. She enjoyed her grandfather's rifle and is glad to have one of her own.

The spam can that came with it is Greek ammo with a steel core. I will probably get some commercial M2 Ball and a few en bloc clips for the maiden run, so as to not have any range issues with the steel core and to provide fodder for reloads. Privi Partizan makes a M2 ball load that seems to get good reviews, so I will hunt some of that. Like most ammo now, it is unobtanium. That is fine as I need to add a few supplies, including .30-'06 dies.

Caballoflaco
09-19-2020, 05:39 PM
Just posting this to get you more stoked to shoot it.

https://youtu.be/2h4oIou9FQk

Mike C
09-19-2020, 05:41 PM
It will get shot after my gunsmith goes through it and checks everything. We did not see any obvious issues, but we rather be safe than sorry. I think my wife is more excited about the rifle than I am. She enjoyed her grandfather's rifle and is glad to have one of her own.

She's an absolute keeper.

farscott
09-19-2020, 05:46 PM
She's an absolute keeper.

Oh yeah, I definitely am punching above my weight class with her.

entropy
09-19-2020, 09:40 PM
That Garand will still be around kickin’ @ss after that 6920 has been worn out and turned into beer cans...

JAD
09-19-2020, 09:47 PM
I have mostly the same rifle. I kind of think of my several carbines as surplus to my reality, but damn I love shooting that thing. Eight rounds works out to perfectly punctuate “F*ck you, you commie* piece of sh!t {ping}!”

*’commie’ gets two rounds, because... commies get two rounds.

DDTSGM
09-20-2020, 12:24 AM
I like Garands and M-14's (M1A's). Went through boot camp with the M-14.

These are my Garands:

The bottom one is an IHC manufactured between 1954-1956. It was rebuilt at the Red River Arsenal, it has an IHC bolt and a NM operating rod handle.

The top one is a SA receiver, manufactured between 1955-1957. It was built by me at the CMP Advanced Maintenance Course. New walnut stocks, Criterion barrel, it is a shooter.

The CMP AMC is a great course: https://thecmp.org/training-tech/advanced-maintenance-class/

This class is not intended for gunsmiths or students with advanced knowledge of the M1 rifle. No prior armorer or shooting experience is required to attend the class. Students will each assemble from parts their own rifle (manufacturer of receiver may vary depending on the current inventory available) that is included in the AMC fee.

Some of the key components of the class will include:

Component purpose and function
Use of gauges
Commercial barrel installation, chambering and headspace
Component selection and inspection
Fitting and proper assembly of a complete Field Grade Special or CMP Special rifle
Some discussion of malfunctions and their remedies
Accurizing techniques for the M1

And it's really not too pricey, I'm going again in a year or so:

Total cost for the 2020 AMC will be $1,868.50 or $2,068.50, depending upon rifle selection (Field Grade or CMP Special). The class fee of $1018.50 will be charged to the credit card when paperwork is received. ($150 of your class tuition fee should be considered as a non refundable “registration fee”).

The cost breakdown is as follows:

$1018.50 course tuition fee
Rifle purchase fee of $850 for Field Grade Specials or $1,050 for CMP Specials

Cost will also cover three provided lunches.

The difference between the Field Grade and the CMP Specials is the condition and serial number of the receiver, they put the parts out on tables and let you select what you want, the CMP Special Receivers were all put on a different table. I didn't really see the point, same stocks, same barrels, almost all the parts were reparkerized, but some guys spent a lot of time selecting their receivers.

In addition to the course and rifle cost, I dropped over another grand at the CMP store buying a 1903 scant stock and bunches of ammo. I didn't know what a scant stock was before I walked into the store LOL.

farscott
09-20-2020, 07:26 AM
08-DEC through 10-DEC was free on my calendar. I guess my wife and I need to head to Anniston then as it is only a 2.5 hour drive.

I forgot just how good the sights are on the M1 Garand rifle. There are not too many rifles that I can shoulder and the sights are right there. This rifle is one of them. And they adjust simply and logically. I had to aim at some steel on my short backyard range because it was a nice day and the rifle needed to be out in the sunlight. My backyard backstop is not capable of handling this rifle, but my farmhouse range is (backstop is a big hill). It also offers a 200 yard range.

19852+
09-20-2020, 09:30 AM
That Garand will still be around kickin’ @ss after that 6920 has been worn out and turned into beer cans...

Very funny but there is some element of truth to that. 1) when ammo was scarce I did see 30.06, .30 carbine, 10mm auto, .38 super, etc., for sale when 5.56 and 9mm was all but impossible to find. Having an alternate viable ammo choice is valuable. The recent scarcity has made me want a 7.62 or 5.45 x 39 russian alternate to my 5.56 choices.

JRB
09-20-2020, 09:38 AM
That is one hell of a nice trade, Farscott!

A Garand is on the short list of weapons I don't own, but 'need'.

farscott
09-20-2020, 09:53 AM
Very funny but there is some element of truth to that. 1) when ammo was scarce I did see 30.06, .30 carbine, 10mm auto, .38 super, etc., for sale when 5.56 and 9mm was all but impossible to find. Having an alternate viable ammo choice is valuable. The recent scarcity has made me want a 7.62 or 5.45 x 39 russian alternate to my 5.56 choices.

While there is a fair amount of .30-'06 ammo on shelves, the M1 Garand can only use a small subset of that ammo. Most modern hunting ammo runs at too high pressures and generates too much gas volume for the action. The results can range from bent operating rods to cracked and fractured receivers. The rifle needs M2 Ball equivalent or an equivalent to one of the match loads (e.g., M72). Federal, Hornady, Prvi Partizan, S&B, and others offer loads, none of which seem to be available at present. I assume most people reading this know it, but younger shooters may not as the rifle has been out of service for more than sixty years.

JRB
09-20-2020, 10:34 AM
While there is a fair amount of .30-'06 ammo on shelves, the M1 Garand can only use a small subset of that ammo. Most modern hunting ammo runs at too high pressures and generates too much gas volume for the action. The results can range from bent operating rods to cracked and fractured receivers. The rifle needs M2 Ball equivalent or an equivalent to one of the match loads (e.g., M72). Federal, Hornady, Prvi Partizan, S&B, and others offer loads, none of which seem to be available at present. I assume most people reading this know it, but younger shooters may not as the rifle has been out of service for more than sixty years.

As I'm sure you already know, but for the sake of being informative, an adjustable gas plug and other parts can be changed to permit a wider range of ammo to be used.
Though none of those combinations, AFAIK, are as reliable as M2-spec ammo used with a sorted out Milspec Garand.

farscott
09-20-2020, 10:53 AM
As I'm sure you already know, but for the sake of being informative, an adjustable gas plug and other parts can be changed to permit a wider range of ammo to be used.
Though none of those combinations, AFAIK, are as reliable as M2-spec ammo used with a sorted out Milspec Garand.

Yup, the adjustable gas plug allows ammo flexibility. At least some do. The Schuster plug can be adjusted to run pretty much every load below the M2 operating rod speed. It can even be set fully open to turn the rifle into a single-shot. The negative is it is adjustable and needs set screws. The flexibility comes at the price of a bit of complexity and something else to inspect. The Garand Gear plug is not adjustable and seems to help little with higher bullet weights with slower powders. The simplicity comes at the price of reduced effectiveness with heavier loads, risking the rifle.

I will stay with either M2 ball equivalent factory ammo or my M2-equivalent handloads as M2 ball will do everything I need, and I see no upside to stressing the rifle with heavier and/or faster ammo.

farscott
10-02-2020, 05:24 AM
This has escalated quickly. Because the CMP-provided wood is an aftermarket hackberry stock and the rifle has a variety of parts (IHC bolt, SA barrel, SA receiver, postwar sights), it is going to be a shooter. I have a "Java" laminated stock from Dupage Trading Company on the way. I decided to go with laminate to add a bit of weight as well as moisture tolerance. The below picture is an example of the Java laminate.

Since this one is a shooter, I decided I wanted a historical piece. My FFL buddy in Texas is liquidating the collection of a serious Garand collector and GCA member, and I now have an all-original SA from January of 1944 on the way. That one will be preserved for the future and see minimal use.

MDFA
10-02-2020, 02:45 PM
Congrats on your Garand. My Wife bought my CMP Special Grade as my wedding present. I love that Old Gal, and my Wife too..... LOL

deputyG23
10-05-2020, 07:48 PM
Congratulations on the successful trade.
Garands are keepers.
Got this Winchester ‘42 Garand from the DCM in ‘89.61344

farscott
10-17-2020, 03:04 PM
Got the Dupage laminated stock installed with the help and tools of my local smith. All in all, the process is straightforward once understood but not intuitive. I am glad I watched videos on the process and had my local smith help. I also replaced the operating rod spring, cleaned every part, and lubed/greased the rifle. I was a bit concerned about stock fit, but the stock did not need to be relieved in any manner. It was also a very tight fit, which is good for repeated accuracy. I would do more business with Dupage in a heartbeat. I now need to zero again due to the stock replacement.

I was able to acquire 144 rounds of "clipped" Greek M2 ball in bandoliers, so I have plenty of ammo for how I want to use the rifle.

LHS
10-20-2020, 03:27 PM
Garands are so cool. I need to load up some more M2 ball equivalent for mine.

Ironically, I just sighted in a Ruger 77 in .30-'06 on Sunday, and the only ammo I had on hand was... M2 Ball handloads. So, my scoped bolt-action hunting rifle is now zeroed for M2 Ball @ 200 yards :P

Stephanie B
10-23-2020, 04:46 PM
The spam can that came with it is Greek ammo with a steel core. I will probably get some commercial M2 Ball and a few en bloc clips for the maiden run, so as to not have any range issues with the steel core and to provide fodder for reloads. Privi Partizan makes a M2 ball load that seems to get good reviews, so I will hunt some of that. Like most ammo now, it is unobtanium. That is fine as I need to add a few supplies, including .30-'06 dies.

FWIW, the Greek stuff may have corrosive primers. When I was shooting my Mosins a bit, I went to the range with a transmission funnel and a couple of canteens of water. I'd jam the end of the funnel into the chamber, pour the water through, follow that with a dry patch or two and then an oiled one.

mrozowjj
10-27-2020, 10:13 PM
This post has me thinking about selling some of the guns I don't really use that I would have previously had to sell at such a significant loss that it was never worth it. Maybe with the market being what it is I can get decent prices for it.

farscott
10-28-2020, 04:43 AM
FWIW, the Greek stuff may have corrosive primers. When I was shooting my Mosins a bit, I went to the range with a transmission funnel and a couple of canteens of water. I'd jam the end of the funnel into the chamber, pour the water through, follow that with a dry patch or two and then an oiled one.

Thank you for the warning. I was not aware that the Greek ammo may have corrosive primers. I do not believe the spam cam from 1978 did based on my experience. I did clean it after shooting and again when I swapped stocks.

This post has me thinking about selling some of the guns I don't really use that I would have previously had to sell at such a significant loss that it was never worth it. Maybe with the market being what it is I can get decent prices for it.

Prices on obvious self-defense stuff have really increased. Like 20% increased. Prices on more "sporting" items like bolt-action rifles have held steady. "Tactical" items like a Remington 700 5-R in .308 are now selling above MSRP ($1250 for a rifle that Remington has a MSRP of $1122). When I inquired about the price increase as that same rifle sat for a year at less than $1,000, I was told told that there are no more at distributors and any future rifles will cost even more. That makes sense to me looking online at inventory for sale.

So depending upon what is being sold and what is being bought, now may be a good time to unload unused items.