PDA

View Full Version : A whole new level of 'lazy' gun for me...

RevolverRob
09-17-2020, 03:27 PM
A Ruger LCP w/Innovative Arms .32NAA barrel - Talon Grips, Clipdraw Kydex Trigger 'Sheath', Shivworks El Niño, and DCC clips...It clips nice in the front of my work-from-home COVID-19 approved gym shorts.

p/CFQDrLYpa-q

Guerrero
09-17-2020, 03:46 PM
https://youtu.be/dULOjT9GYdQ

RevolverRob
09-17-2020, 04:09 PM
https://youtu.be/dULOjT9GYdQ

That dude is living the fucking dream...

Also for some reason, I sort of picture this being Maple Syrup Actual - in about 25-years.

TheNewbie
09-17-2020, 04:22 PM
A Ruger LCP w/Innovative Arms .32NAA barrel - Talon Grips, Clipdraw Kydex Trigger 'Sheath', Shivworks El Niño, and DCC clips...It clips nice in the front of my work-from-home COVID-19 approved gym shorts.

p/CFQDrLYpa-q

How do you like the .32NAA vs the .380?

The LCP has ridden in my pocket for many years.

RevolverRob
09-17-2020, 04:54 PM
How do you like the .32NAA vs the .380?

The LCP has ridden in my pocket for many years.

Easier to shoot for my carpal tunnel laden wrists. Accurate enough for this gun (I shot a 91 on a modified version (for time) of The Test a few weeks ago). I wish the Hornady ammo was a bit faster (per folks who have chrono'ed the round, about 900fps from the LCP). Theoretically, it can be loaded upwards of 1100. Not really sure if that is true.

Plus right now you can find .32 NAA ammo...and you can't find .380.

Lex Luthier
09-17-2020, 05:07 PM
Easier to shoot for my carpal tunnel laden wrists. Accurate enough for this gun (I shot a 91 on a modified version (for time) of The Test a few weeks ago). I wish the Hornady ammo was a bit faster (per folks who have chrono'ed the round, about 900fps from the LCP). Theoretically, it can be loaded upwards of 1100. Not really sure if that is true.

So you got at least one of Mike C 's LCPs, eh? ;)

Was looking at one of those for a "mom's last carry gun" option.

Totem Polar
09-17-2020, 05:32 PM
That is... more like a “rule #.75 gun.”

I like it, lazy ass that I am, as well.

Norville
09-17-2020, 05:48 PM
That is... more like a “rule #.75 gun.”

I like it, lazy ass that I am, as well.

Have almost 3/4 of a gun, rules for the lazy to live by.

TheNewbie
09-17-2020, 06:16 PM
The LCP is kind of like the P-07 for me.

The P-07 is even more boring than a Glock, but it works and works well.

The LCP is among the most boring of guns, but I can shoot it well enough, mine is reliable, and and it is smaller than a J-Frame.

Bratch
09-17-2020, 06:32 PM
I’ve been looking hard at the 22 LCP the past few weeks. Seems like an awesome lazy gun, subcompact trainer, and something little the recoil conscious could shoot.

Clusterfrack
09-17-2020, 06:50 PM
The LCP is kind of like the P-07 for me.

The P-07 is even more boring than a Glock, but it works and works well.

The LCP is among the most boring of guns, but I can shoot it well enough, mine is reliable, and and it is smaller than a J-Frame.

You keep saying the P-07 bores you... I don't get it. I think the 07 is sexy :D. Anyway, the LCP is not boring to me either, it's so cheaply made that I always expect something to go wrong with it. And I shoot it better than I expect too, so that's kind of exciting.

RevolverRob, adding an aftermarket barrel for a new caliber... that seems like it's taking an iffy gun and making it iffier? But that's why you carry a knife, right?

TheNewbie
09-17-2020, 07:02 PM
You keep saying the P-07 bores you... I don't get it. I think the 07 is sexy :D. Anyway, the LCP is not boring to me either, it's so cheaply made that I always expect something to go wrong with it. And I shoot it better than I expect too, so that's kind of exciting.

RevolverRob, adding an aftermarket barrel for a new caliber... that seems like it's taking an iffy gun and making it iffier? But that's why you carry a knife, right?

It bores me because it works and I can't really justify switching platforms! I am taking my aggression out on it. :p

Your P-07 does looks better than mine.

TheNewbie
09-17-2020, 07:13 PM
I wish I could get a true gen 1 LCP. I do not want, nor need, and a better trigger for the what the LCP is supposed to be. Something that small, carried in my pocket, needs the long trigger pull in my opinion.

The reliability of the .32 NAA would be interesting to see. Over a few examples and many rounds.

RevolverRob
09-17-2020, 08:58 PM

The IA barrel actually seems to fit better and is better finished than the Ruger barrel. My concerns for iffy'ness are at least partially abrogated by the bottleneck nature of the .32NAA cartridge. In my experience, bottlenecks tend to feed A LOT more reliably than a straight wall case. And since .32NAA is identical in loaded length to a .380 and has the same rim, no real concerns there. I don't have many rounds through this rig just a 100.

We'll see if things go sideways after more rounds. But I doubt it. I'm not match shooting this thing and I view pocket pistols as the types of guns you shoot two mags through at the range and then make sure it's fairly clean and lubed.

RevolverRob
09-17-2020, 08:59 PM
I wish I could get a true gen 1 LCP. I do not want, nor need, and a better trigger for the what the LCP is supposed to be. Something that small, carried in my pocket, needs the long trigger pull in my opinion.

The reliability of the .32 NAA would be interesting to see. Over a few examples and many rounds.

This one is brand new, dude. I bought it 6-weeks ago at GT Distributors in Dallas, I think it was $220?

Clusterfrack
09-17-2020, 09:01 PM
I like the LCP1, gen 2. That’s the best of the bunch IMO.

Olim9
09-17-2020, 09:15 PM

"I should buy a lazy gun"

TheNewbie
09-17-2020, 09:33 PM
This one is brand new, dude. I bought it 6-weeks ago at GT Distributors in Dallas, I think it was $220?

How was the inventory there? I’ve been to that store way too many times, but it has been a while.

BillSWPA
09-17-2020, 09:56 PM

Interesting observations. I am going to have to file this away as an option for anyone with hand or wrist issues or recoil sensitivity that needs a really small gun. Currently I would recommend a Kel-Tec P-32.

When the .32 NAA and .25 NAA came out, I was surprised that .32 was the more popular of the two. The .25 provides a rimless alternative to the semi-rimmed .32 ACP, but never really seemed to catch on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
09-17-2020, 10:32 PM
I like the LCP1, gen 2. That’s the best of the bunch IMO.

I'll be honest, I did not know there was an LCP1 Gen2. Had to look it up. I'm sure that's what this gun is, because it has a MFG date of Dec 2019.

I thought TheNewbie meant the LCPII - well this gun has a decent trigger that reminds me of a Kahr. It's lighter and a bit shorter than a J-frame, but there is nothing non-deliberate about it.

I had one of the very first LCPs years ago. And I thought maybe my memory was just wrong, because I remembered it being a horrendous little gun compared to this one. Now I see I probably was not mis-remembering, the sights are bigger on this gun and the trigger is better.

How was the inventory there? I’ve been to that store way too many times, but it has been a while.

Pretty slim. If you have a GSSF coupon - they have tons of blue labels in stock, but virtually everything else is out. They had a case full of used Gen3 Glocks in .40 and a few G21s.

I was there to pick up my Rattler and inquired if they had an LCP1 in stock, figuring they wouldn't and I got lucky and they did have one.

And the wait was atrocious. I got there at 1:30pm and my number wasn't called until 3:30. There were still a lot of folks behind me too. Go EARLY if you're going.

RevolverRob
09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
Interesting observations. I am going to have to file this away as an option for anyone with hand or wrist issues or recoil sensitivity that needs a really small gun. Currently I would recommend a Kel-Tec P-32.

When the .32 NAA and .25 NAA came out, I was surprised that .32 was the more popular of the two. The .25 provides a rimless alternative to the semi-rimmed .32 ACP, but never really seemed to catch on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill, my concern here is the ability for someone to rack the slide.

My mother has fairly weak hands and she was unable, try as she might, to get the LCP racked back. The .32NAA conversion does use a slightly lighter (12 vs. 13 pound) recoil spring, but I'm not sure that's enough to make a difference. And with the LCP having a rounded slide profile and minimal sights there just isn't a lot to grab onto to aid in racking the gun.

However, the IA barrels do work in the LCPII which has a slide lock on an empty mag. Not ideal, but might work better fo strength compromised hands.

BillSWPA
09-17-2020, 10:44 PM
Bill, my concern here is the ability for someone to rack the slide.

My mother has fairly weak hands and she was unable, try as she might, to get the LCP racked back. The .32NAA conversion does use a slightly lighter (12 vs. 13 pound) recoil spring, but I'm not sure that's enough to make a difference. And with the LCP having a rounded slide profile and minimal sights there just isn't a lot to grab onto to aid in racking the gun.

However, the IA barrels do work in the LCPII which has a slide lock on an empty mag. Not ideal, but might work better fo strength compromised hands.

Good point about racking the slide. However, the P-32 really needs 11 lb. springs for complete reliability. So, someone who can manage that can hopefully manage 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OlongJohnson
09-18-2020, 07:54 PM

I can find .380, and I'm not telling anyone where it is.

I wish I could get a true gen 1 LCP. I do not want, nor need, and a better trigger for the what the LCP is supposed to be.

Ironically, the LCP trigger cleans up just fine. Deburr the action and it's GTG. It shares the characteristic with K and L frames that the hammer spring is tensioned frictionlessly between two pivots, so it's inherently smooth when you get the grit out of all the cheaply-made parts.

I had an LCP Custom that cleaned up nicely, but had a lot of feeding issues. A LOT. It came back from Ruger with an all new slide, barrel and other top-end guts. By that time, I'd figured out that shooting it was causing tissue damage to my trigger finger, because although I could grip it tightly enough to actually make hits, I couldn't grip it tightly enough with my XXXL hands to keep it from pitching excessively under recoil. It went down the road.

Seven_Sicks_Two
09-21-2020, 12:28 PM

p/CFQDrLYpa-q

I've been looking for an alternative to pocket carry for my LCP. That clipdraw/DCC combo looks like just the ticket. What's the hardware recipe to add the clip? Did you have to do any drilling/heating/cutting?

RevolverRob
09-21-2020, 12:34 PM
I've been looking for an alternative to pocket carry for my LCP. That clipdraw/DCC combo looks like just the ticket. What's the hardware recipe to add the clip?

Basically it's held in with a long Chicago screw I had in my baggy of attachment gear. I wish I could tell you where it came from, but I can't. It's about twice the length of one you normally use for securing clips to a kydex holster, so probably a 10-12mm (3/8"-1/2") length screw. I used three rubber washers, two on the inside of the guard around the shaft of the screw post and one on the clip side. It spaced the clip out perfectly. After that, tightened it down and away we go.

I need to put a bit of loctite on the screw threads, but otherwise it's solid as can be.

Did you have to do any drilling/heating/cutting?

Nope, it worked great!

Seven_Sicks_Two
09-21-2020, 12:43 PM
Basically it's held in with a long Chicago screw I had in my baggy of attachment gear. I wish I could tell you where it came from, but I can't. It's about twice the length of one you normally use for securing clips to a kydex holster, so probably a 10-12mm (3/8"-1/2") length screw. I used three rubber washers, two on the inside of the guard around the shaft of the screw post and one on the clip side. It spaced the clip out perfectly. After that, tightened it down and away we go.

I need to put a bit of loctite on the screw threads, but otherwise it's solid as can be.

Thanks for the info! I had a sneaking suspicion it was going to take some improvisation. I'll have to see what I can kludge together.

4given
09-23-2020, 11:20 AM

p/CFQDrLYpa-q

Nice set up! Interesting converson barrel.

My "Lazy Gun" "Super Deep" concealment gun is a humble, stock Kel Tec p32 Gen 2 loaded with Fiocchi 73gr FMJ. Very easy to shoot and has been reliable with the Fiocchi FMJ. Everything I have read shows about 15" or so penetration so it should do in a pinch If I can do my part. However, it is stll a Kel Tec so ...

Guerrero
09-23-2020, 11:28 AM
That dude is living the fucking dream...

Also for some reason, I sort of picture this being Maple Syrup Actual - in about 25-years.

You do realize "that dude" is Leonard Nimoy, right?

Clusterfrack
09-25-2020, 12:18 PM
I'm carrying my lazy gun today, for a business meeting near a homeless-dense part of town.

Ruger LCP1 Gen2, .380ACP in a Pocket Shark holster. Here are some dryfire draws from hand on gun to first shot:

Relaxed, not pushing speed:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200925/a39bb3bf9ac02a9c3c896ca2c9509600.jpg

Pushing speed:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200925/ad52a8d8f1ddbd7a1fda31ac39636b88.jpg

Clusterfrack
09-25-2020, 01:42 PM
^^^ A homeless person just threw garbage at my truck as I drove to the meeting.

Caballoflaco
09-26-2020, 09:31 AM
^^^ A homeless person just threw garbage at my truck as I drove to the meeting.

Sounds to me like you were recklessly driving too close to where a differently-sheltered person was trying to safely dispose of their trash.

RevolverRob
09-26-2020, 09:47 AM
I'm carrying my lazy gun today, for a business meeting near a homeless-dense part of town.

Ruger LCP1 Gen2, .380ACP in a Pocket Shark holster. Here are some dryfire draws from hand on gun to first shot:

Relaxed, not pushing speed:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200925/a39bb3bf9ac02a9c3c896ca2c9509600.jpg

Pushing speed:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200925/ad52a8d8f1ddbd7a1fda31ac39636b88.jpg

Slacks or jeans?

I like the look of that pocket holster. Does the thickness of the kydex provide enough "stand-off" to prevent the LCP's grip from printing? I immediately (re)-discovered that as a problem with basic pocket holsters. So I switched to a leather holster with a flat side on the outer side, now it looks like a phone or notebook. But it's also a not a great draw stroke.

Clusterfrack
09-26-2020, 05:37 PM
Slacks or jeans?

I like the look of that pocket holster. Does the thickness of the kydex provide enough "stand-off" to prevent the LCP's grip from printing? I immediately (re)-discovered that as a problem with basic pocket holsters. So I switched to a leather holster with a flat side on the outer side, now it looks like a phone or notebook. But it's also a not a great draw stroke.

I almost never wear jeans. These were 5.11 Apex pants, kind of low-pro cargo pants.

This pocket holster has a smooth face, and there really isn't any printing. I can get as full a grip as is realistic with this mousegun, and the draw can be pretty quick if needed. I added a Victor Grippy Gun Band to add retention to this holster, and that makes it close to perfect.

psalms144.1
10-22-2020, 12:39 PM
RR - which DCC clip are you using on that? Went to their website to order a couple and holy cats, there's a lot of options...

Rex G
10-24-2020, 08:06 AM
Work from home, in comfort, wearing warm-up pants, PJ pants, or, no pants at all, without compromising on one’s carry gun:

https://epsaddlery.com/product/1942-tanker-holster-3-to-5-barrels/

https://epsaddlery.com/product/1942-tanker-holster-5-12-to-8-38-barrels/

;)

ETA: If one must carry a tiny weapon, the 1911 version of this rig just happens to work well with a Glock G42.

Blades
10-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Slacks or jeans?

What leather holster manufacturer?

UNM1136
10-24-2020, 02:50 PM
Wasn't this originally the Kel-Tec .32? I have had one for 20 years now, with the pocket clip. I got it before the P3AT was a thing. Never had a problem with it. Got it grandfathered in on my firearms card. Don't carry it much now. Maybe when I retire it will be a second or third gun.

pat